Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter Nights 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 31, 2006

The sequel to Bioware's Dungeons and Dragons PC role playing game of 2002, Neverwinter Nights 2 puts the player in the role of a peasant that must realize his importance in the world through an epic adventure.

Rolling through NWN2 (02): Alright, let's try this one more time

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater

Although I don't entirely agree with this image, I thought it fit
    Soo... yeah. I'm still here. And I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights 2. But I restarted and made another character after coming to the not so difficult realization that (as someone put in the comments of the previous blog) "Warlocks are fucking boring". So, instead I made a Fire Gensai Swashbuckler (Name: Fire Dude), in order to continually resist the pressure to just make a goddamn Human Fighter. Still evil, still a dick, still investing in conversation skills.  Swashbucklers were added in the Storm of Zehir expansion, and are basically Dex type warriors who use light weapons and also can use intelligence in place of strength to add to damage rolls (consequentially, Fire Gensai have +2 intelligence). And for the heck of it I'm also using two weapon fighting. Considering that the class' high level abilities don't seem that hot (oh wow. on a critical I can do two points of strength damage to an enemy. That's not totally worthless in any way shape or form by the time I reach level 15), I'll probably multiclass at some point, either to Fighter or a prestige class. 

That being said, because of me having to play through the tedious opening sequences again, I haven't advanced in the story as much as I otherwise should have. Khelgar is still totally a dwarf. But, now I encountered my obligatory rouge party member, a Tiefling named Neeshka, who will make me gouge my ears at some point because of her obnoxious high pitched voice and spunky attitude. It's a pity I'm going to have to keep her in my party. I've reached the first hub area of the game, a military fort where I can do such amazing things as: Go to a bandit camp, kill bandits, get loot and reward and: Go to a graveyard, kill undead, get loot and reward. Not much story stuff going on. There is still a mysterious shadowy force that wants the silver shard I have for some reason, so that's great. Got introduced to the item crafting system, so now I can make items and if I had a wizard I could probably enchant them too (Enchantment? Enchantment!). 

However, to keep this blog from being super short, let me complain about some of the systems in this game. Obviously, the bad party AI doesn't help (as they will very willingly walk into attacks of opportunity unless I remember to turn off "protect controlled character"), but there's also all the weird skills that aren't in P&P, like Parry and Taunt. Neither seems to be very useful, parry basically allowing you to not attack in exchange for making your defense be based on a skill check instead of your armor class (but hey, maybe if the roll is high enough you can counter one enemy!) and Taunt gives the enemy a minor penalty to armor class but incites an attack of opportunity. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It's at this point that I question if I should go back to Icewind Dale 2 or not, but I'll probably keep playing. Now, for no particular reason, here's the pantheon of classical CRPGs as interpreted by me messing around in Computer Graphics class. Keep in mind that the games represented are both specific and general representations of my tastes.
    No Caption Provided
    Yes, KotOR 2 is on fire. Why do you ask? Yes, there are 3 games representing silver tier, and yes Arcanum is not on fire, although it was in conceptual stages. And, to give you an idea of what I've had to listen to while doing all this character creation stuff... again, here's the main menu theme for Storm of Zehir. Pretty good, actually.   
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Soo... yeah. I'm still here. And I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights 2. But I restarted and made another character after coming to the not so difficult realization that (as someone put in the comments of the previous blog) "Warlocks are fucking boring". So, instead I made a Fire Gensai Swashbuckler (Name: Fire Dude), in order to continually resist the pressure to just make a goddamn Human Fighter. Still evil, still a dick, still investing in conversation skills.  Swashbucklers were added in the Storm of Zehir expansion, and are basically Dex type warriors who use light weapons and also can use intelligence in place of strength to add to damage rolls (consequentially, Fire Gensai have +2 intelligence). And for the heck of it I'm also using two weapon fighting. Considering that the class' high level abilities don't seem that hot (oh wow. on a critical I can do two points of strength damage to an enemy. That's not totally worthless in any way shape or form by the time I reach level 15), I'll probably multiclass at some point, either to Fighter or a prestige class. 

That being said, because of me having to play through the tedious opening sequences again, I haven't advanced in the story as much as I otherwise should have. Khelgar is still totally a dwarf. But, now I encountered my obligatory rouge party member, a Tiefling named Neeshka, who will make me gouge my ears at some point because of her obnoxious high pitched voice and spunky attitude. It's a pity I'm going to have to keep her in my party. I've reached the first hub area of the game, a military fort where I can do such amazing things as: Go to a bandit camp, kill bandits, get loot and reward and: Go to a graveyard, kill undead, get loot and reward. Not much story stuff going on. There is still a mysterious shadowy force that wants the silver shard I have for some reason, so that's great. Got introduced to the item crafting system, so now I can make items and if I had a wizard I could probably enchant them too (Enchantment? Enchantment!). 

However, to keep this blog from being super short, let me complain about some of the systems in this game. Obviously, the bad party AI doesn't help (as they will very willingly walk into attacks of opportunity unless I remember to turn off "protect controlled character"), but there's also all the weird skills that aren't in P&P, like Parry and Taunt. Neither seems to be very useful, parry basically allowing you to not attack in exchange for making your defense be based on a skill check instead of your armor class (but hey, maybe if the roll is high enough you can counter one enemy!) and Taunt gives the enemy a minor penalty to armor class but incites an attack of opportunity. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It's at this point that I question if I should go back to Icewind Dale 2 or not, but I'll probably keep playing. Now, for no particular reason, here's the pantheon of classical CRPGs as interpreted by me messing around in Computer Graphics class. Keep in mind that the games represented are both specific and general representations of my tastes.
    No Caption Provided
    Yes, KotOR 2 is on fire. Why do you ask? Yes, there are 3 games representing silver tier, and yes Arcanum is not on fire, although it was in conceptual stages. And, to give you an idea of what I've had to listen to while doing all this character creation stuff... again, here's the main menu theme for Storm of Zehir. Pretty good, actually.   
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Odd that Planescape, Oblivion, and a billion other WRPGs aren't on there.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By yinstarrunner

Goddammit I've learned to resent that menu music so much.  Is there possibly an option to change the menu to one of the other NWN2 ones?  I'm so fucking sick of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King:  That's why it's both general and specific, I couldn't fit all the games I liked and or hated onto one picture. Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas are probably silver or bronze tier. Fallout 3 is probably bronze or red. I still haven't played enough Planescape to give a legitimate opinion.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Start a new character, sounds like a roll playing game to me. And I'm not digging that music. That's it. I roll with Bob Saget.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

So tired. All I could take away from this blog is that I like Interplay more than you.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#7  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I remember reading an incredibly scathing review of Might & Magic 7 around the time I started playing it (the review mostly focused on its old-old-school sprite graphics and lack of significant improvement since 6) and thinking I was the only one that liked it. It's reassuring to see it on your silver ionic column of  outstanding achievement in the field of excellence. Otherwise, this comment is almost completely irrelevant to the blog it's replying to.

I think I've run out of average-to-meh D&D RPGs for you, besides obvious stuff you've probably covered. Dungeon Hack?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @extremeradical: I wouldn't say that I don't like Interplay/Black Isle so much as I really don't care for Fallout as much as some other people do. I beat it in 10 hours, thought it was alright, and really don't have much desire to play it ever again.

@Mento: I will willingly acknowledge Might and Magic VI as the superior game, both in scope and sense of accomplishment. But VII is a much more refined game, and one that is less intimidating as a result. I never finished M&M VI (although, I got extremely far. Pity I had to wipe my computer), but I have finished VII around 3 times. I like that game a lot. And basically, Silver is for all the games I think are great. Gold is Baldur's Gate 2 only, but I guess in retrospect I would put some other games up there too. Maybe have two examples for each column, because for as great as BG2 is, it has some flaws. 

And, for once I'm going to actually read up on the pre-BG D&D game you are referencing. *reads articles* I don't know, that doesn't sound terrible, though a single character would certainly promote the use of Fighter/Mage/Thief as the go-to class. *downloads from shady abandonware site, knowing fully that the legality of such a venture is questionable, but what the hell it's not like these games are ever going to be re-released due to licensing conflicts*

@Claude: The pun in the title is very much intentional. Weird rap about Bob Saget is not. Nonetheless, I appreciate its presence.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude
    @ArbitraryWater:  I appreciate you more. Keep on rolling my friend.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater:  MORE FLAMES!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ArbitraryWater said:

"Soo... yeah. I'm still here. And I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights 2. But I restarted and made another character after coming to the not so difficult realization that (as someone put in the comments of the previous blog) "Warlocks are fucking boring". 

Glad to be of help :) 

Edit: funny build I used in my second playthrough of NWN2+MotB:

Human sorc6/SpShaman4/ASoc10/EK10
    A prestege class that pumps arcane ALSO pumps Spirit Shaman (presumably because they are based on
    the same sorceror code). The net result is a 25(29) caster level with sorc AND 23(27) spirit shaman!
    Both have spell DCs based on CHA

You can basically shit spells as if you had diarrhea.

more info here: ( http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/939027-neverwinter-nights-2-mask-of-the-betrayer/faqs/50858 )
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Raven10

The lack of a Might and Magic game in your Gold tier is simply unacceptable. As a fellow Sandro lover I demand that Might and Magic VII be moved to the gold tier. And also that you play Ultima VII. The rest of your blog sounded a lot like statistics. I hate statistics and I'm a game designer. I use them as sparingly as possible and try to ignore them in all other facets of life.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I've also just started playing this game. The problems are really grating rendering the game almost unplayable: the AI, UI, and camera are busted. What was relatively fluid in Baldur's Gate and NWN1 is a mess here. To the game's credit, the 3.5 ruleset is incorporated well (personally, I prefer RPGs to be based on pen-and-paper rulesets) and could in theory provide epic battles involving strategy and skill, but due to all the other problems in the game it hasn't really been all that fun.

The reason I'm probably not getting much out of the combat is lacking motivation. There's too few ways of doing things based on your char build and alignment, instead the game railroads you into dichotomous choices, the characters and quests are generic, and the quest padding is insane.  As Shamus Young bitched about here the amount of quests it takes just to get into Blacklake is overboard. I'm on that part now and 6 quests/4 hours later, after killing every thung in the docks, I'm still not much closer to finishing the segment. As if my chaotic good character would willingly be the errand boy for the City Watch or some bandits if there were any other option...

On the plus side, my Grey Orc Cleric is starting to reap the benefits of his OP class, ie. Divine Power. It's nice to have spells, full-plate, and the attack bonuses of a frontline fighter :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.