That Horrible 3DS Analog Stick Rumor Is Coming True

#151 Posted by SMTDante89 (2577 posts) -

Could have been much worse, I guess.

#152 Posted by Sanj (2389 posts) -

Wow. Guess I'll be waiting for the inevitable 3DS redesign.

#153 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Oh God no Christ no what ugh.That's just about the worst thing ever. I'm glad I held off buying a 3DS, maybe an eventual re-design will add that 2nd analog stick onto the system itself, because there's no way I'm using that thing. However... I still want Luigi's Mansion 2. Oh Nintendo! You fucked up, big time... but at least you know it.

#154 Posted by Kato (156 posts) -

Aeathletically, it's a shit-show, but if it adds extra battery life and launches alongside a re-design which includes the extra stick, battery power, and shoulder buttons...then I think it could save the 3DS. I'd totally buy one of these if I already was an owner of a first-gen 3DS (and it extended battery life...which IMHO, it has to).

#155 Posted by Ronald (1368 posts) -

It nice that in their "SECRET SCOOP" they made sure to mention "MH3(tri-)G" so we would know what this was for. With this addition and the Vita coming with two analogues the claw will be a thing of the past, which means we'll have people telling them young kids how easy they have it being able to control the camera with an analogue stick. "Back in my day..."

#156 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -
@captain_clayman: That outrage comment goes so well with Mr Krabs. I guess Mr Krabs can indeed feel it.
#157 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Now THAT's portable.

#158 Edited by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

The 3DS is becoming more of a joke every single day. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

#159 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Oh no. Wonder how much GameStop'll buy a 3DS for.

#160 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

Nintendo is willing to do everything it takes to stop monster hunter being psp/vita exclusive 
being that aggressive takes some balls 
now i have more reasons to patiently wait for a 3DS redesign and a robust games library

#161 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2502 posts) -

*sigh* and my DSi just broke... so I figured i'd buy a 3DS.

At $169 it seemed like a no-brainer.... now i'm not so sure.

#162 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

man the things companys do to get monster hunter on there system...

lets be honest though nintendo got some great games coming up on the 3DS

#163 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

It looks horrific...but i really really like Monster Hunter! If it comes packed in then its a no brainer, i really didnt think this rumour was going to be true...

#164 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

What? Seriously?

#165 Posted by catbusstop (22 posts) -

The idea of "patching" hardware is both hilarious and terrifying in equal measures.

#166 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
um
#167 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

Looks like I won't be buying a 3DS any time soon.

#168 Posted by Altersparck (70 posts) -

Looks like 3D wasn't the knockout gimmick Nintendo thought it would be. Although, the Sega 32X-esque approach to hardware is... disheartening.

#169 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

And so the wait begins for the 3DS lite with better battery life and built in second analog stick

#170 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

this is all dumb

#171 Posted by outerabiz (661 posts) -

im calling it now. The Wii-U console will come with a handle. 

#172 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@outerabiz said:

im calling it now. The Wii-U console will come with a handle.

For when you desperately want to have a Wii-U-LAN!

#173 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I love Monster Hunter but that looks ridiculous and unwieldy. 

#174 Posted by rjayb89 (7721 posts) -

They should hire Steve Jobs and get to workin' their design mantra because that thing is uggggg-lehh.

#175 Posted by TzarStefan (428 posts) -

Typical Nintendo with crappy addons...

#176 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (708 posts) -

That is quite ugly.

#177 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

It looks dumb, but, on the other hand, I have very large hands that cramp whenever I try to play the tiny 3DS. If this width-increasing addon relieves that in any way, I am all for this.

#178 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Well, at least it wasn't a complete revision, but this is still really, really stupid. The thing I don't get is how people can defend this. All of this shit has happened in the same year of its original launch. It's ridiculous. You can say that it's optional but if nintendo really wanted this thing to take off, that second stick should have been built in. It's just looking more and more apparent that the damn thing was rushed to market out of sheer arrogance or stupidity.

#179 Posted by Deckard (71 posts) -

It reminds me of my old "Handy Boy" for the Game Boy. Only this thing is first-party. Yuck.

#180 Posted by sirdesmond (1240 posts) -

Wow, this just looks horrendous. If you are going to have some stupid add-on at least make it out of similar plastic to the unit itself so there is some equal appearance level (and level of quality).

I honestly won't really mind this if it is a pack-in with Monster Hunter 3G (which I'm pretty excited about now that I know it's a thing), but if they are charging and it is anything very high, this is going to kill the 3DS.

It looks like something out of the Genesis - Sega CD - Sega 32x days.

#181 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

~secret scoop~

#182 Edited by SerHulse (685 posts) -

God, I hope this is just some add-on limited to Monster Hunter, like those DS Paddle add-ons that never made it out of Japan, that thing looks ugly as sin.

#183 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

At first I thought this was a ridiculous idea. Then I saw "Monster Hunter" and realized it would sell a million units regardless. So... sure, why not?

#184 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Well, it does look reasonably comfortable. It will also probably sell in Japan, what with Monster Hunter being what it is.

#185 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

sry nintendo , 3ds was the last thing i bought from you 

sony here i come

#186 Posted by AlisterCat (5565 posts) -

This doesn't really bother me at all.

#187 Posted by PenguinDust (12515 posts) -

Nintendo seems to be run by old Sega execs... 

#188 Edited by AuthenticM (3730 posts) -

This is so fucking stupid. Holy shit Nintendo, you don't seem to know what the hell you're doing these days. You release a system with no games at all, months later you slash the price and then announce an addon that should have been there integrated with the system in the first place? That's fucked. The 3DS is here to stay for a while, and game developpers will be forever forced to make their games in mind with people not owning this thing. They are dooming it to failure. And no, I'm not buying this piece of shit hardware, because Fuck You Nintendo.

#189 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

What the....

#190 Posted by leejunfan83 (966 posts) -

SuperFail

#191 Posted by FacestabMan (75 posts) -

Turns out it has been confirmed by Nintendo.

As a Nintendo fan, I raise my middle finger to them. What the hell are they thinking? They experimented, badly, with the price of the 3DS. Then they lowered it with an apology. And now they experiment again? Is like they're testing waters all over the place. This is not working, for fucks sake. They're making so many changes, if next year I see a new revision that's it, they can go fuck themselves.

#192 Posted by sonicrift (298 posts) -

The 3DS does not need a second stick. This is stupid. I'm really hoping this is a Capcom thing and not a Nintendo product. I don't want this. 

#193 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@Jimster said:

First!

Nope.

HAHAH! Man this is just depressing for the the 3DS...

#194 Edited by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

I litterally dont know what to think about this.....er......yup.....litterally other than the fact that it looks like it crept out of the 90s during the gameboy colour era!

#195 Posted by PositivelyGreg (72 posts) -

I'm personally disappointed they didn't put on a third analog stick. Just to screw with people.

#196 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

That device is aesthetically terrible. I hope it's just a prototype, and they'll make it look a lot better.

...But let's look on the bright side! A new Monster Hunter game announced! I'll just wait for the inevitable Vita release. 3DS does not seem like it will give a good Monster Hunter experience, in my opinion.

#197 Posted by craigums (1 posts) -

Nintendont.

#198 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (603 posts) -

I just, umm, no?

#199 Posted by noibn (106 posts) -
#200 Posted by sonicrift (298 posts) -

If this isn't a Nintendo peripheral, Nintendo needs to speak up. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.