Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Well I just fell in the 3DS trap... What next?

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lethalki11ler
    It's a trap!
    It's a trap!

Just as said in the title, I finally fell for a 3DS and bought the damn thing, was going to eventually when Kingdom Hearts Drop Dream Distance would have come out (Biggest Kingdom Hearts dork) but decided to get it now in the form of the Limited Edition Zelda 3DS. Big fan of Ocarina of Time and won't mind playing through it again. Now was just thinking about what I should do next? Anything I should know before playing? Get some protective gear for scratches?

I'm getting Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 before the end of the year but what else? Just wondering from the point of view of either knowledgable people or just owners of the damn thing. I know I'm going to kinda regret the purchase eventually, but it just looks so damn good!

So I'm basically looking for a short rundown, any important stuff I need to know? I've missed all information about the 3DS because I really didn't care for it :s

Thanks

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    That limited edition is really making me feel like getting a 3DS, but I shall resist the temptation to get one until there are better games out for it. 

Aside from SML3D and MK7, I don't think there's anything else of note coming out in North America for the 3DS in 2011. unless you'd be interested in shit like FabStyle. For Q1 2012, there's Resident Evil: Revelations and Rhythm Thief.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

If I was ever going to get one I'd totally want one that looks like that one.

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. After reading this post I've been reading up on it and I think I'm going to fall into the trap. Especially after hearing so much praise for Super Mario Land 3D.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I don't think it's a trap... you get a decent system with one good game. After that you can go and buy Super Mario 3D land, then wait for Luigi's Mansion 2.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn

I recently did it too. Welcome to the club, friend.

For the record, the 3DS port of Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection is really fucking good. Super Mario 3D Land is also completely and utterly worth it (it's honestly one of the best games I've played this year, and I almost feel it justified my buying the system), but you probably already know that. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is supposedly also great if you're into Advance Wars-style turn-based strategy (and you can find it for $20 at a couple places now), but I haven't had the chance to check it out for myself yet. I also picked up Dream Trigger 3D and the 3DS version of Sonic Generations; I haven't fired those up yet, but when I do you'll be the first to know how much they suck!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

Get Super Mario 3D Land. And uh... I guess that's all you really need. :P

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

Dude... that's cool lookin'. Did that come out in the states, too? Kinda want one... Meh, I can wait.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

Wow, is that bundle coming to North America? I kind of wish I had waited for it. Although, I think I still prefer the Zelda themed DS Lite they did. There's something to be said for simplicity.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn

@TooWalrus said:

Dude... that's cool lookin'. Did that come out in the states, too? Kinda want one... Meh, I can wait.

@FreakAche said:

Wow, is that bundle coming to North America? I kind of wish I had waited for it. Although, I think I still prefer the Zelda themed DS Lite they did. There's something to be said for simplicity.

It's a Black Friday bundle in the States, similar to what they did with the Phantom Hourglass DS Lite bundle eons ago. Once they're gone, they're gone.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By mariokart64fan

a trap nope, i had one since launch , with all the vc titles nes classics and 14 retail games i got i have 54 titles, already --- and it hasnt been on the market for a year, and with mariokart 7 paper mario 3d re revelations mgs 3 etc coming, i got my moneys worth already

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lethalki11ler

@iAmJohn: Also a bundle in Canada :) Got mine from Gamestop.ca

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn

Sonic Generations does not seem like a good game so far.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By dogbox

I haven't used any cases or protective films or anything on my 3DS and it seems to be doing just fine! No scratches or defects. Depends how and where you'll be using it though, I imagine! Like others have been saying, there's not much out for it right now that's absolutely crucial to have...but there are a few games worth checking out, for sure. Starfox 64 3D is of course another remake, but a good one. Little pricey at $40, but you could find it cheaper now I bet. I played LEGO Star Wars III on 3DS and wrote a review of it - it was pretty fun! And Ghost Recon is a solid 3DS game also.

Oh, and if you can find it real cheap...Pilotwings is worth sinking a couple hours into. But you seem to have a handle on the situation; Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time are the best offerings right now, and their 3D is the best to boot!

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MidgardDragon

Only other thing I can majorly recommend that you didn't mention is Star Fox 64 3D. Other than that there's a few good Game Boy games on the Virtual Console, and if you're interested in playing games in 3D there's 2 or 3 worthwhile 3D Classics. If you got the PS3 or 360 (or PC) Sonic Generations then might as well get the 3DS version to go along with it, though it certainly seems to be a step backwards from both Colors DS and the Sonic Rush series based on reviews.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D isn't half bad if that's you're thing, but it's not for hardcore fighting game fans 'cause if you're one of those I gather you'll get all uppity at the simplified touch screen control *option*. (roll eyes here)

As for those Game Boy games I mentioned, definitely get Kirby's Dream Land, Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, and Kirby's Adventure 3D, that is if you're into old school gaming.

But yeah so far Super Mario Land 3D is the only must have non-remake. Hopefully Nintendo is working on something else now that their major 3DS releases are out, since third parties can never seem to figure out how to properly use Nintendo hardware.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By SerHulse

@FluxWaveZ: You can buy Link's Awakening on the eShop...

...according to my 3DS Activity Log I've played that game for 18 hours...then, Pokemon White 15 hours...Pilotwings Resort, 2 hours...System Settings, 49 mins....

(¬_¬)

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Buying a 3DS is hardly like falling into a trap. I love the games for it. The only think I wish was better was the BC.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

Shadow Wars and Devil Survivor Overclocked are both pretty good.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Don't forget Cave Story.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@iAmJohn said:

It's made by Dimps, the classic levels are all 100% recycled (the console versions had re-imagingings) and their definition of classic seems to include things like Bio-lizard from Sonic Adventure 2 and classic Sonic having the homing dash.. So yeah, I'll be giving that a miss.

duder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By duder123

I'm holding off at least until Nintendo release the dual stick revision

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

Now you wait. Have fun!

deinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deinos

Man, I wish I had mad photoshop skillz... but alas, MSPaint is my medium by necessity.....

No Caption Provided
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn

@WinterSnowblind said:

@iAmJohn said:

It's made by Dimps, the classic levels are all 100% recycled (the console versions had re-imagingings) and their definition of classic seems to include things like Bio-lizard from Sonic Adventure 2 and classic Sonic having the homing dash.. So yeah, I'll be giving that a miss.

Let's put it another way: Classic Sonic starts off as a very straight remake of Classic Sonic levels, except now in kind of ugly looking polygons. It starts with absolutely zero creativity and then, when they finally get to Sonic Adventure where they have to come up with their own levels, they pull the ultimate fake out and turn the game into Sonic 4. Literally, you could've told me Emerald Coast was Splash Hill Zone with a skin to make it look like Neo Green Hill Zone from Sonic Advance and I'd believe you. This is what Dimps think Classic Sonic is - Sonic fucking 4, the game no one likes.

Modern Sonic is alright, though. Dimps knows how to make Sonic Rush games, which is what Modern Sonic basically is. But then the Special Stages are ridiculously lame since they're all patterned after those crappy Sonic Heroes ones. I swear, this is a franchise with a storied history of Special Stages they could go back to the well on and really mix things up (the Sonic 2 half-pipe; Get Blue Spheres; Sonic CD's UFO Chase; hell, Knuckles' Chaotix had completely insane Special Stages that could've looked really neat in a 3D remake), and they, once again, go with the game no one likes?

I really don't think Dimps understands what makes a good Sonic game, if they ever did. It's amazing how they gone from being the only team making tolerable Sonic games to possibly the worst offenders of bad design that has dogged the Sonic games since Adventure 2.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

DON'T BUY A 3DS!!!!

My day 1 purchase was stupid, and I knew it at the time. It just makes me upset when I see it on my bedside table resting in it's charging dock collecting dust.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By takashichea

Another POV: It's not a trap if you haven't bought a 3DS.

@duder123:

No Caption Provided

I find that this dual stick attachment looks tacky. Yeah, I'm going to wait, too.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lethalki11ler
    @Th3_James I'll put it inside a drawer or something :p
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King

But there aren't even any original Zelda games for it. Why not do some Mario anniversary thing?

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fenixrevolution

I could be completely wrong here, but to those waiting for a dual stick 3DS, I doubt it will happen, especially since the attatchment is mainly for Monster Hunter.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SlightConfuse

street fighter 4

ghost recon

mario land

ghost trick

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

I still have only OoT for my 3DS. I plan on getting Super Mario 3D Land at some point, but there are too many good games out this fall and I don't have the money or the time to pick up any 3DS titles for a while.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Shaanyboi

Mario 3D Land is kinda the real 'must-have' right now, atleast until Mario Kart comes out.

Devil Survivor is alright if you're into that sorta thing.

I'd DEFINITELY recommend Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars as a really underappreciated strategy game. It's not exactly full of visual splendor, and it takes a while for all its concepts to really get into gear, but its core gameplay is surprisingly great.

norenewalfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By norenewalfee

My sister has that one too I think!.... That´s it I am buying one right f-ing now!

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jrinswand
    @norenewalfee: Really? You resurrected a thread just for that?
    Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Vextroid

Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and Pullblox will serve you for a good long time.

Edit: Just realised it was an old thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.