Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

The definitive titles.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jadeskye

So i broke out my N64 recently, after i got a replacement video cable i found my collection of games surprisingly lacking (probably due to my enormous PS1 games collection). 

So it's over a decade later, what games do you think best show the shine on the N64's golden days? What did you never stop playing?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

Ocarina, Shadows of the Empire, Star Fox 64, Mario 64, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Okay scratch that, i have all of that. Man the N64 was more barren than i thought >_>

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jadeskye said:
    " Okay scratch that, i have all of that. Man the N64 was more barren than i thought >_> "
    It really wasn't, bro. There are hundreds of worthwhile titles. I'm going to throw in Shadowman, because I absolutely love that game.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @GetEveryone: My N64 life was spent mostly with 4 player goldeneye, i later played Quake and yeah, done!
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520
    @jadeskye: You just have the best. Doesn't mean there aren't more.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Mario Kart, Blast Corps, Killer Instinct Gold, Jet Force Gemini, the Turok games, F-Zero, Body Harvest, Conker's Bad Fur Day, both Mystical Ninja's, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Golf/Tennis, Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Rogue Squadron and Glover?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By 02sfraser

Pretty much all the games already mentioned are the best to have in your collection. Although Paper Mario is also a great game.

Akel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Akel

I've been rebuilding my n64 collection. A lot of games just don't hold up very well...and, unless you got a few nostalgia-laden friends, multiplayer games just won't really be all that useful. I don't think I could really convince anyone I know to play n64 multiplayer games, so I only have fun singleplayer games I can still use. Anyway, here is the list of games that I know of:

Obvious/Popular:
    Super Mario 64 (Still a fun platformer and very different from modern mario games in its open ended approach)
    2 Zelda games (OoT was still great to play through again. Just beat it recently. I've never played MM, but will soon)
    Star Fox 64 (Unless you hate rails, it's worth a try)
    Goldeneye/ Perfect Dark (Some people say these games don't hold up well. I think they still have a distinct flavor to them. But even then...people loved it for its multiplayer...)
    Super Smash Bros. (Self-explanatory. Holds up even if it's a bit slow compared to the other newer ones, but it's a multiplayer game.)
    Mario Kart 64 (Again...same. Still controls well and looks fine (by n64 standards). )
    All other well-known n64 platformers ( banjoes and donkey kongs, etc.)
    All other racing games (fzero, beetle something or other, ridge racer, sf rush games, wave race)
    Pilot wings 64
    Paper Mario (played it recently alongside the GC one. loved it. Just as fun as the newer installments. The graphic style works great) 

Not so obvious:
    Mischief Makers (A Treasure game. 2D for the most part I think. Graphics kind of look like Gunstar Heroes. It's weird.)
    Goemon games (there were 2 of them. First one was a 3d platformer, second one was 2Dish. both are considered good...and weird too.)
    Blast Corps (destroy stuff with vehicles. fast, fun, but can be really hard and frustrating later on)
    Harvest Moon 64 (well, this is kind of obvious, but still niche I guess. Still one of the best in the series. one of my favorite games ever.)
    Resident Evil 2 (a popular series, but if you've already got it on PS...well...)
    Doom 64/Duke Nukem  (don't know about duke, but doom is completely different compared to PC version and not in a bad way.)

Games I got rid of because they did not age well:
    Gauntlet Legends (An ugly mess. Not very fun either. )
    Rampage (looks great....but completely repetitive and boring.)
    Megaman 64 (Same game as Legends on PS. Feels really slow paced in its story and controls were weird. Some might like it if they can overlook those issues)
    Turok (I think it was the first one. Really...I don't think these games were fun. Odd platforming. Very confusing worlds. Awesome guns. Best to stick with the more renowned FPSes).
    Battle Tanx: Global Assault (Cool tanks and powerups. But...I don't know, it was just kind of frustrating.)
    JetForce Gemini (Graphics are decent. Gameplay is okay. I remember a lot of annoying back tracking and collecting though.)

JustinAquarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By JustinAquarius

Besides the obvious ones (SSB, OOT, SM64 etc), Harvest Moon 64, Road Rash 64, Jet Force Gemini, WWF No Mercy

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

@Jadeskye: If you've played it reciently, maybe you can help me out. I decided I needed to play Majora's Mask- and instead of just buying it on a Wii or something, I bought a n64 cartridge (and the N64 RAM expansion pack) and booted up some old games- and christ- they look terrible! I mean, not just because they're aged, but because it's been years since I've played n64 games on an SDTV. Banjo Kazooie looks great when played on an emulator- but when playing on a PC it's so blurry I can't even see the pupils in his eyeballs- and when I play Zelda, everything more than a few feet out from the screen is so blocky it's unrecognizable- have I been spoiled by Wii ports- or could my old-ass N64 be acting up?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jadeskye

@TooWalrus: i think you're spoiled my friend. it was a very blocky time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.