Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi XL hardware review - are you ready to touch it big?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Go to Source 

Nintendo DSi XL (Hardware Preview) 

No Caption Provided
    Despite the DS outselling its Sony rival and even the big consoles on a regular basis, Nintendo are determined to get one into every gamer’s (and their relative’s) hands. With the children's market sorted they’re going for the grownups in force.

Handheld console manufacturers just can’t help but fiddle around. With both the DS and PSP getting numerous make-overs over the last few years getting bigger, smaller, slidier but rarely cheaper.

So it’s surprising to say that this is one upgrade that looks pretty good. Adding all the extra functions of the still recent DSi and supersizing the console to fit in adult hands and give them a screen big enough to make all the extra features worthwhile for once. While still not exactly cheap, the console will retail at £150 which is only £10 more than the smaller DSi.

So what does it do that we haven’t seen before on the DSi? Well not much to be honest. No Nintendo, new colours don’t count. There are only two colours available at launch, Wine Red and Dark Brown. It would seem Nintendo believe this the best strategy to attract the more ‘mature’ gamer, assuming they all like merlot and dirt.

No Caption Provided
    The bigger screens are more appealing though, and should help Nintendo really push the downloadable books feature, as they’re big enough to compete with the range of electronic books slowly making their way into the market. Still, drop it in the bath and you’re screwed.

You can use the old stylus or when you’re at home, go for Touch Pen which is shaped like a proper pen instead of a twig which will make it much more comfortable to hold and hopefully harder to lose!

The DSi XL is a bit of a sizeable beast, which may be a little off-putting if you want to carry it around with you all day. Good luck fitting it in your jeans pocket for example. This console will shine the most at home though. If you love the DS for the games and software just to play at home then this is great for you thanks to the massive screens.

While we’ve yet to see it for ourselves, apparently there will be prolonged battery life compared to the DSi which would be impressive with the bigger screens surely requiring more power. But if you’re at home that shouldn’t be an issue.

No Caption Provided
    All the DSi perks are included, such as the Wi-Fi web browser, online multiplayer gaming and downloadable game titles or apps from the DSi Shop. SD memory cards are supported for music and photos too. Hopefully the camera will be upgraded from the miserly 0.3 megapixel effort of the DSi. Some of the picture editing features might be a fun distraction though.

There’s be some free software already installed: A Little Bit of Brain Training: Arts Edition, Dictionary 6 in 1 and the Nintendo DSi Browser, so digital-book reader-types in denial can try and convince themselves they’ve not just bought a games console. They’ll be hooked on Mario Kart in less than a month.

If you own an original DS and have been holding out on upgrading, this might be the ideal time as the bigger screen (4.2" instead of 3") works wonders and you can finally check out all the online functions but with a reassuringly familiar weighty heft that’s missing from the rather dainty DS Lite and DSi. If you’re still waiting for your first DS experience, you can take your pick between the extra portability of the DSi and the home luxury of the DSi XL.

The Nintendo DSi XL is released 5th March 2010.  

Not long to go now.  Who has an old Phat and seeing this as the time to upgrade?  Who has a DS Lite, but is interested in the DSi but sees this as better option?  Who just will never get a DSi XL? 

I am very interest and it will make number 6 DS for me.  I expected to get another DSi as I usually have 2 of each iteration, but this time, the DSi XL will be the partner for the DSi as I am not about to own 8 DS (I also made it to 6 for the GBA).  I think as usual though, it won't be a day one purchase for me. I will wait for a good game deal, which may be harder than I hope as I expect every bundle to be a Touch Generation game that I am NOT interested in (give me an RPG bundle dammit).
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I have just about committed to waiting for the XL, but I'm still not positive yet. I really like the look of those bigger screens, especially in the last picture you supplied. 

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

I think anyone who still plays on the Phat DS is crazy. You guys seriously need to upgrade at least to a DS Lite... 

I have a DS Lite and DSi, but I sadly don't play my DS Lite anymore unless I'm going to try a GBA game. I use it mostly for friends and multiplayer. I'll probably pick up a DSi XL sometime later in the future.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Godwind

I'm happy with my DSi so I don't need an upgrade.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I always thought the XL was a model aimed towards old people (or anyone) with poor vision. Still, a DS with a bigger screen? Who can complain? It's kinda weird in this day and age though when they make a handheld smaller then orignal, and then make it big again. Ha.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Emilio said:
    " I think anyone who still plays on the Phat DS is crazy. You guys seriously need to upgrade at least to a DS Lite... "
    It's funny the DS is my favorite system this gen of gaming and I am still rolling around with a DS phat. I really need to get a new model but my logic thus far has been why spend $150 or so on a new DS when I can just buy more games, though man the XL is really sexy, it may end up being my DS upgrade when the time comes.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By JonathanMoore

Ya. DSi XL looks like the way to go for me.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emilio
    @Zenaxzd:  
    I think it would be worth it for just the huge screens and extra battery life. 
    Not only that, but you'll be able to download games and stuff and surf the web!
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Emilio: Yeah, I think the DSi is the big pushing point. I am constantly regretting not being able to play the few "interesting" looking games that come out on the download service.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

I think I'm going to stick with DSi.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By trophyhunter

you could have made a better dick joke

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I always thought the XL was a model aimed towards old people (or anyone) with poor vision. Still, a DS with a bigger screen? Who can complain? It's kinda weird in this day and age though when they make a handheld smaller then orignal, and then make it big again. Ha. "
    Well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad.  I am old but my eyesight is still perfect.  I am really looking forward to just playing DS games on a bigger screen.  I wish you could connect the DS to the Wii and play them through the television just like the Gameboy Player on the Gamecube (my most favourite peripheral ever).

@trophyhunter said:
    " you could have made a better dick joke "
    No, you make a better dick joke ^-^ 
    I did try, but it was the best I could manage - sorry  :-(
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I still have a Phat; sister has a DS Lite but I don't really see the need to upgrade. Not convinced by DSware or any of the other features of the DSi yet.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jadeskye

I never take my DS lite anywhere, it's strictly a home console and i enjoy it thoroughly. So this appeals to me. A larger console overall would be very appealing as the larger screens, stylus and comfort factor of the machine are greatly above the tiny DS lite i have today.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Kowbrainz said:
    " I still have a Phat; sister has a DS Lite but I don't really see the need to upgrade. Not convinced by DSware or any of the other features of the DSi yet. "
    I still haven't purchased a download game either and the extra stuff have just been novelty toys (camera & music), but the bigger screens of the DSi are really noticeable to me, as is the brighter light.  I really do expect to download some games sooner or later, so I don't regret my purchase.  It really isn't essential though and my DS Lites are there when I want some GBA action. 

@jadeskye said:
    " I never take my DS lite anywhere, it's strictly a home console and i enjoy it thoroughly. So this appeals to me. A larger console overall would be very appealing as the larger screens, stylus and comfort factor of the machine are greatly above the tiny DS lite i have today. "
    My thoughts exactly.  When I look at my DS use, at least 95% is at home (50% on the toilet  ^_^) and when I go out, it is usually in a backpack, so a bigger console is not going to be even slightly problematic as a portable.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Karmum

If I'm ever going to pick up my own DS, this might be the one. I'm not really digging the actual bigger size of the handheld, but bigger screen trumps that for me. I'm just waiting for a period, maybe of a year or so, of when they stop making more DS models.

I get it Nintendo, you're trying to keep the DS steamrolling in sales, but I mean, isn't it selling well enough?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Karmum said:
    " If I'm ever going to pick up my own DS, this might be the one. I'm not really digging the actual bigger size of the handheld, but bigger screen trumps that for me. I'm just waiting for a period, maybe of a year or so, of when they stop making more DS models.  I get it Nintendo, you're trying to keep the DS steamrolling in sales, but I mean, isn't it selling well enough? "
    They made quite a few models of the PS2 as well.  It isn't really that big a surprise is it?  Each upgrade seems so much better than the last, but rarely as essential as the upgrade from Phat to Lite.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shirogane

I sold my phat to my friend about a year ago, so i'm gonna need to get a new DS. 

Considering the DSi or the XL, but not sure if i want a huge DS to go along with my psp. 
    That and, i can get a Lite for half the price.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    " I sold my phat to my friend about a year ago, so i'm gonna need to get a new DS.  Considering the DSi or the XL, but not sure if i want a huge DS to go along with my psp. That and, i can get a Lite for half the price. "
    Cost is a very serious point.  I have no idea what the local price will be, but the DSi at $300, I am not inclined to spend more than $300 on another DS.  If the price on the pS3 drops from $500 to $400, I would be more inclined to take my money there.  The PSPGo is $450 - why would I get that when a PS3 is a mere $50 more?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Willy105

It's as big as I expected it to be, as in bigger than I could ever imagine.

It's about time for me to replace my old DS Phat, whose top screen is already failing for such horrible abuse, so at least I have multiple sizes to choose from....

It sucks that the DS increased in price since 2004.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By toowalrus

My reaction to this product is an overwhelming 'meh.' I love the DS, but Nintendo still hasn't convinced me that the DSi is $170 better than the DS Lite, and screen size isn't an issue.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Scooper

I gave my phat old DS to my neice because I didn't want to buy anymore games for it but after playing a bit of the new super mario bros and the portable Zelda game I really want to get a DS again. 150 quid's a bit steep though for me so I probably won't get it. I'd rather put the money towards a new PC for instance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.