Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

The definitive DSi VC "must have" list: Pt 7 Gameboy - Simulation

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

With DSi Virtual Console on its way at some point, we continue to reflect on the Gameboy Original and think about the great games it had and which ones we would like to see work its way way on to your DSi.

In this retrospective we look at another genre and the games that were good and and worthy a download if they made it onto the system.

Other threads to reply in are as follows:

The definitive DSi VC "must have" list: Pt 1 Gameboy - Action 

Part - 7: Simulation

World Building - Flight Combat - Ground Vehicle Combat - Life Development

This one is very short.   Simulation was very much in its infancy for handheld consoles at this stage.  It did explode later though and none more so than on the DS - especially in that Tamagotchi kind of way.

F-15 Strike Eagle

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Populous

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Star Trek: The Next Generation

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Super Battletank

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Tamagotchi

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Top Gun: Guts and Glory

Turn and Burn

There you have it - a very small genre.  Populous has recently come out as a DS game, but did not review well.  Tamagotchi is still selling games.  I don't have any of them though.

Coming next:

Gameboy Pt. 8 - Sports

Gameboy Pt. 9 - Strategy

Gameboy Pt. 10 - Traditional

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

You know with the way licensing is, even if they put up a DSi Gameboy VC, you'll never see ANY of those games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Diamond said:
    " You know with the way licensing is, even if they put up a DSi Gameboy VC, you'll never see ANY of those games. "
    With some of them - yes, but there is a hell of a lot of them on WiiWare.  Why would this be different?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I don't think any of these titles specifically have any chance of showing up, based on the publishers.  There's a lot of titles on Wii VC, but it's still a small number compared to the titles released on those systems.  I just can't see games like these appearing on the DSi VC, it'll probably just be mostly Nintendo games like Pokemon Red / Blue and the original Kirby, along with some of the biggest 3rd party games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Diamond said:
    " I don't think any of these titles specifically have any chance of showing up, based on the publishers.  There's a lot of titles on Wii VC, but it's still a small number compared to the titles released on those systems.  I just can't see games like these appearing on the DSi VC, it'll probably just be mostly Nintendo games like Pokemon Red / Blue and the original Kirby, along with some of the biggest 3rd party games. "
    I think you may be underestimating the idea of profit.  Whoever holds the rights to the games has money sitting there idle.  It is a good motivator.  However, success will be a key.  If VC happens and it doesn't set the world on fire, you could be right.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

So how many of these will you do before we get to color and advance?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " So how many of these will you do before we get to color and advance? "
    Patience young Padawan.  

That made me laugh.  I wasn't sure how to spell Padawan, so I googled it.  At the top of it was Wookiepedia.  That is so funny in an internet nerd kind of way  :-)

Anyway, those 3 at the bottom are the last 3 of Gameboy.  I will start Colour by the end of the week.  One thing I know will be happening - there will be a lot more editing as it was with Colour that the crap casual and kiddie games started happening.  I won't be keeping most on the lists.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.