Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Which new feature of the DSi is most likely to get you to buy it?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oldschool

I am getting it for the better screens first.  The DSiWare is potentially good, but still an unknown quantity.

I will get the usual 2, taking my DS collection to 6.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

I voted other, given that my only motivation for getting one would be to put ridiculous amounts of emulatable games on an SD card along with a new flashcart and achieve emulation nirvana (since I'm too lazy to mod my PSP).

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Really, the music visualizer is friggin awesome. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    Jayge said:
    "I voted other, given that my only motivation for getting one would be to put ridiculous amounts of emulatable games on an SD card along with a new flashcart and achieve emulation nirvana (since I'm too lazy to mod my PSP)."
    32Gb worth!!!!!!  All legal and legimate of course.

AgentJ said:
    "Really, the music visualizer is friggin awesome. "
    It does sond pretty cool, but the novelty would wear off pretty quick I figure.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

NOT FOR ME!!!! MUSIC FOR MY EYES!!!!!

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Snuffy

None.

I'm not interested in the DSi at all.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    Snuffy said:
    "

None.

I'm not interested in the DSi at all.

"
    I'm curious - why?

A lot of people saw no reason to go from the Phat to the Lite, but after changing, the Phat seemed  ..... well just horrible, with that screen of darkenss.  I envisage a similar feeling after playing a DSi for a while.  Of course, money is a real factor.
    Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snuffy

I have no money to spend on it.  The launch games don't appeal to me, and theres no real reason to replay the DS games I have.  I haven't played my DS in ages tbh, I have the Phat.  The features just aren't really interesting to me, I have a camera and photoshop, I have an iPod, and other various things.  

I'd like a completely new handheld, but we probably won't see that for a while.  I might get one eventually if any decent games come out for it.  

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By ZombiePie

Other- I don't own a DS period, and this skew might be what convinces me to bite the bullet.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    Snuffy said:
    "

I have no money to spend on it.  The launch games don't appeal to me, and theres no real reason to replay the DS games I have.  I haven't played my DS in ages tbh, I have the Phat.  The features just aren't really interesting to me, I have a camera and photoshop, I have an iPod, and other various things.  

I'd like a completely new handheld, but we probably won't see that for a while.  I might get one eventually if any decent games come out for it.  

"
    Money really is an issue.  I will only get it because I can afford to.  My life would truly not suffer if I didn't get it, as I am totally happy with what I have.  The games will still be the same games, except of course the DSiware.  I haven't got any Wiiware games and I am not overly bothered.  In fact on 3 or 4 slightly interest me.  Having DSiVC could make it more worthwhile though - old GBA games I never got.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

The only thing that could convince me to buy a DSi is the whole downloadable game aspect. New and original DSiWare games could definitely be interesting, but if they do something along the lines of VC where I can take old GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/etc games on the go with me...I'd probably grab a DSi right away. ...or I could just buy another PSP and hack that shit and run emulators on it :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just bought a new DS 3 months ago, and at the moment, the DSi has no features worth purchasing another one for.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By JonathanMoore

Music Player no doubt.

-- God Bless.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Red

I got a Lite a Christmas. I guess my main reason to buy one would be the slicker design, and to not have a DS with a big fat "Guitar Hero" brand on it--yeah, I think the other ones were sold out--but DSiWare has potential, and the visualizer looks interesting, albeit useless.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb

Damn you, oldschool! Why do I have to choose between A and B?!?! =/

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Karmum

None of the options, because none of them interest me that much. If I had to pick one, it would probably be other, with the use of the SD slot.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

I won't buy a DSi unless some Virtual Council is announced, that isn't gameboy stuff.

Or, if you could "install GBA games to hard drive" or, SD card, but no, I won't be getting one for a long while.

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snuffy
    Kush said:
    "The only thing that could convince me to buy a DSi is the whole downloadable game aspect. New and original DSiWare games could definitely be interesting, but if they do something along the lines of VC where I can take old GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/etc games on the go with me...I'd probably grab a DSi right away. ...or I could just buy another PSP and hack that shit and run emulators on it :P"
    Doing that with my PSP was probably one of the best ideas I've had with gaming. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

None, really. My DSlite is both hard- and softmodded (Chrome case / flashcard), I am very satisfied with it and none of the changes seem all that relevant. Some of them are even available for current DS flashcard-owners (such as great emulation, changing the backlight in-game, music visualizers and other software).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    "None, really. My DSlite is both hard- and softmodded (Chrome case / flashcard), I am very satisfied with it and none of the changes seem all that relevant. Some of them are even available for current DS flashcard-owners (such as great emulation, changing the backlight in-game, music visualizers and other software)."
    I often wonder if it was a mistake on my part not to get into the softmodding.  It sounds like it would have been a good idea.  Some technical things go over my head (not hard), so I don't bother.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.