Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Which order to play the Ace Attorney games?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

I want to play the Ace Attorney games but I'm not sure in which order to play them, is there a right way?

Also, any plans for new games?

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

1) Phoenix Wright 
    2) Phoenix Wright Justice for All 
    3) Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations 
    3) Apollo Justice (Personally, I skipped this one and moved to Miles Edgeworth, didn't lose anything) 
    4) Miles Edgeworth 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I only played the first game before I played Miles Edgeworth, and it doesn't feel like I missed anything important. My guess is that it doesn't really matter in what order you play them. However, I don't see a reason not to play them in the order of release.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xpgamer7

just the pheonix wright series in order. nothing else is as important. but miles edgeworth is structured inbetween the last pheonix wright and apollo justice. Although apollo justice was released before miles edgeworth.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Turambar

Disregard the opinions of anyone that says Apollo Justice can be missed.  A game that turns Phoenix Wright from a bumbling idiot into the ultimate chess master is awesome.  If there is one game worth missing out of all of them, it would be Justice For All.  The cases weren't that great, and Franziska was really the only good thing about it for me.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

Just play them in release order if you can, though the only part thats really necessairy is playing the original first. playing apollo justice last would probably be good too.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @AgentJ said:
    " Just play them in release order if you can "
    Yes, specifically if you are someone who cares about subtle references to other games. Despite Miles' game coming before AA4 chronologically there are still references in it that you would only understand if you played AA4. Theres no reason not to play them in release order honestly.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You have to play them in the correct order.  For a game that's basically story-driven, I have no idea why you would want to mix the order up.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Turambar said:
    " Disregard the opinions of anyone that says Apollo Justice can be missed.  A game that turns Phoenix Wright from a bumbling idiot into the ultimate chess master is awesome. "
    Also this. AA4 I thought was better than AA1 and 2 and about equal to the third game.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By Soap

I started playing this series last week myself, I'm on the very last case of the original game and I'm going to be playing them in release order, although I did contemplate playing miles Edgeworth 4th after hearing about the chronilogical order of the games. But I think I'd like to get the same experience as the true fans of the series.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Dark_Jon

Play them in order except play Miles Edgeworth before Apollo Justice.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

Release order.

airules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By airules

I played them in the following order:
    Phoenix Wright
    Apollo Justice
    Justice For All
    Trials and Tribulaions
    Miles Edgeworth

It seems the original trilogy (PW, J4A, T&T) feed into each other quite a bit but in a very superflous way.
    You could pick up any of the games without any prior knowledge and get along fine.
    Apollo Justice is an unusual title in the series, the whole game being very cleverly linked within itself, and with some interesting uses of characters from the other games.
    I would highly recommend AJ. Quite possibly my favourite of the lot...
    Oh and it uses all of the epic DS specific controls of the final chapter of the first game which don return until AJ and ME. For that alone it's brilliant

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

In release order, presumably. That's the reason I've yet to crack open my copy of Justice for All.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By damodar

Play them in order. 

Although I found the second one to be the most boring, except for the last turnabout. 

I wouldn't skip Apollo Justice, as some have suggested, it's a pretty great entry. Phoenix's character is awesome, and it uses the DS features in ways the 2nd and 3rd games do not.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Romination
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " 1) Phoenix Wright 2) Phoenix Wright Justice for All 3) Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations 3) Apollo Justice (Personally, I skipped this one and moved to Miles Edgeworth, didn't lose anything) 4) Miles Edgeworth  "
    Go play Apollo Justice. The last case will FUCK YOUR BRAIN. In a good way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.