Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 (January 12th/13th, 8pm PT/05:00 CET/3pm AEDT)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I don't mind them going with motion controls again, as long as they're COMPLETELY optional in EVERY game. I have a bad feeling that they won't be, but I guess we'll see.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By csl316

They're actively unselling me on this thing. I'm ready to preorder since I know the big name Nintendo stuff is coming.

But leading with motion control social stuff is fucking killing me.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, Mario 2006 is here!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This has been pretty terrible so far. The price was as expected and within reason but everything else has been bad. These games don't make sense or look fun. Well, Splatoon 2 looks like more of that game at least for thsoe who love it.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 3D Mario looks promising . Overall this has been a lot of normal expected NIntendoness.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NEW DONK CITY

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Super Mario Odyssey gives me a real 3D Homer vibe...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh oh, this is bad. This is a bad first look at a console.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lotta people dead set on hating nintendo no matter what they do, gonna try and not let that color or sour my opinion.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kinda worrisome when 3rd parties don't really have anything to show....

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By flasaltine

I think this console is going to fail pretty badly. Who is this for? People into Nintendo games? They couldn't support the WiiU alone. The mothers and kids checked out in 2010 when smartphones starting coming on. Hardcore gamers will be turned off by the graphics, third party support, and the social features aren't going to be appealing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: dont know why people need third party games on this so bad anyway. they want nintendo to make the same dull black box, rather than something that can fill another niche.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

Man they should of paraded Reggie out there...

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ripelivejam: Because they want to play AAA titles on the go.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: dont know why people need third party games on this so bad anyway. they want nintendo to make the same dull black box, rather than something that can fill another niche.

Because 3rd party games are good? And people shouldn't need to buy something on top of a $300 Nintendo console to play them?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: curious, what's your suggestion for a successful console from nintendo?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ripelivejam: I don't think people are hating on them. It's that they see no reason to get this thing.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Uh oh, this is bad. This is a bad first look at a console.

Why? Like really, break down for me why you thought this was a bad look, curious to understand. Seemed about on the level for most console reveals in the past years.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I liked what I saw, but I worry about the European pricing. Would have liked to have seen Super Smash on Switch.

I agree with Jeff in that I'm sick of seeing Zelda at this point.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pdxsonic: thats a pipe dream unless youre waiting for a switch 2 in 3 of 4 years or a overpriced device with pascual architecture in it. and another grey/black box in the crowd that does ps4 pro level stuff would just get lost in the crowd. id like the same third party games portable too but realistically it wont happen, or it will to a degree but the games will have to be scaled back.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ripelivejam

@teddie: people who wanted 3rd party games like that arent going to want only a switch, and wouldnt have been waiting for one either. or at least theyd need a lot of convincing to make it their platform of choice.

this is for all the great 1st party (and some 3rd party) experiences across all nintendo platforms in one convenient spot.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By flasaltine

@ripelivejam said:

@flasaltine: curious, what's your suggestion for a successful console from nintendo?

There is no option for them unless they want to break into the Xbox/PS4 space. That would be hard to do, but I think it would easier than trying to sell these gimmicks. Coming out 11 years after the Wii and trying to explain how motion controls work again just goes to show how out of touch Nintendo is. I think they are done with hardware after this. They should just focus on the games, it is obviously what they do best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was more excited for this thing until the press conference. As always it will have some great Nintendo games on it, hopefully there will be enough to justify me buying it at some point. That square RPG had a really cool look to it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just went from "gotta get one on launch day" to "eeeeeeh, it can wait." Like, the lineup of games just looks weak. I'm always down for some SMT5 and that new Square Enix rpg looked dope, but when the fuck are those coming out? Late next year at the earliest?

Splatoon looks dope and that Mario game seems weirdly cool, but like...not enough to sell me on this thing alone. Breath of the Wild continues to look fucking phenomenal, but if the WiiU version isn't busted, I'll just get that.

Safe to say, I'm left pretty underwhelmed. i went in genuinely excited, but not all the energy has been kinda deflated. So...yeah.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mellotronrules

didn't do it for me so much. granted i haven't owned a nintendo product since n64- but at $300, that's too rich for my blood for what's just a zelda at launch..

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#75  Edited By DrBroel

That was a really bleak press conference.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't get this at launch but Zelda looked amazing.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're making Fire Emblem Warriors just for me and I couldn't be happier.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Coulda just shown that Zelda trailer and I'd be 100% on board. I gotta play that thing.

Mario looks fuckin weird as hell and I'm kinda into it. The whole travelling troupe thing is the only thing keeping it from all seeming too too weird.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They didn't answer what we wanted to know. Sure, we wanted to see games but not just games. What's the system software like? It is all SD cards, downloads or what? VC? Online? Zelda looks amazing but 1 game I'm interested in on launch when I already own a Wii U with only 1 game on it isn't exactly pushing me to buy this thing.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People estimating around £220-£250 for Switch pricing in the UK, still a a bit of a guess but would make sense. Not sure I'm in around that price, would rather invest it in something else.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish they'd given a more comprehensive launch lineup though I only need Zelda. The RPGs they showed are STACKED though. That Square Octowhatever looked awesome. Interested to see if they say more tomorrow, I really hope they do.

The internet can fuck itself though.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

300 USD seems way too much considering by the time you apply the convict tax and it arrives in Australia it'll be around 340 USD in the local currency. I was hoping this to be a cheaper thing but I guess not.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Mario Odyssey looking a lot like Sonic Adventure

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Teddie

@teddie: people who wanted 3rd party games like that arent going to want only a switch, and wouldnt have been waiting for one either. or at least theyd need a lot of convincing to make it their platform of choice.

this is for all the great 1st party (and some 3rd party) experiences across all nintendo platforms in one convenient spot.

Exactly, and that's why it's going to have a limited audience, and why you're seeing so many people say they "need 3rd party games" to justify their purchase. Nothing wrong with falling on that side of the coin.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

So this 4chan leak was correct - there's slightly more information about other games that weren't mentioned.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sold on it. Most games were kind of hard on the eyes. Mario and Zelda were fine, though. It's the same Nintendo story for me again; I would love to play those games, but I'm not planning on buying a console for just those 2..

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By Hunter5024

Between the car in 3d World and the suit in Odyssey, Bowser has fully transitioned into a pimp, and I couldn't be more pleased. I think the system looks pretty awesome. Bunch of launch window motion control junk, but there was plenty more interesting titles as the press conference went on.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89  Edited By Lanechanger

That Zelda trailer looks pretty hype. I didn't realize they were going for the voice acting. The world building of Zelda is already strong, if they layer on some character depth with more refined portrayal through VO then that'll really push it forward.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: i entirely disagree with that. breaking into ps4/xbone space would be ruinous and a much bigger crapshoot for them. who knows how much they'd have to invest into courting back the all important 3rd parties, as well as making something on parity with (preferably better than) the other two. they basically have to reinvent themselves for something thats already saturated. much better to do something unique as well as keep a foothold in the area they do have dominance in. you're basically saying there's no point in trying to innovate/differentiate?

and them going software only i feel would be a surefire way to bolster irrelevance. look at sega, for instance. not dead of course but definitely a shadow of what they once were. and i for one would miss deeper portable experiences like nintendo's offerings. not really an argument but more of a feeling i have is that all those clamoring for software only nintendo are those who wouldn't care if they crumbled and fell off the face of the earth, or would even be happy. but that may be a bias speaking. ;)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: better limited than few or none at all (i.e. standard powerful home console or theoretical ridiculously priced portable hybrid)

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't answer what we wanted to know. Sure, we wanted to see games but not just games. What's the system software like? It is all SD cards, downloads or what? VC? Online? Zelda looks amazing but 1 game I'm interested in on launch when I already own a Wii U with only 1 game on it isn't exactly pushing me to buy this thing.

It didn't answer ANYTHING but the price.... No hardware specs, storage, the actual launch lineup ect... We saw what? 3 games for the launch lineup?!? Those 2 stupid motion games and Zelda. Is that seriously the lineup of the system???

Xenoblade 2 and Mario are the only things for later in the year?

I do feel like this press conference was suppose to be for the Japanese audience considering how late it was in the US. They do have a stream for early in the morning that (I hope) gives the west more of what they want to hear about.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was extremely disappointing. I'm so turned off the Switch, especially at launch.

300 is too much for what they've shown and that launch lineup looks really terrible aside from Zelda, which while looks amazing, will be on WiiU. The lack of Pokemon and Monster Hunter, signs that the mobile games on 3DS would make the jump to the new console, is super discouraging. The console should have come out in the fall with actual games and should include those dumb little motion games.

And I'm sure Nintendo's paid internet service will be super rock solid and reliable /s

I went from cautious to a HARD pass until at least this holiday.

(The Street Fighter thing is really really fucking weird)

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: Wow, they even called Disgaea which was shown for like 3 seconds in that sizzle reel.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: "Ultra Street Fighter 2" huh? So that's what that SF2 footage with with the smoothed-out mobile graphics was about.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By Marz

well, think im' gonna get it... Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Zelda game looked like it was worth buying the system for, hopefully the Xenoblade game comes out this year though, if not i'll probably hold off for a bit.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was kinda really bad, no UK price, joy-con's look awful uncomfortable and too small, no surprises from Nintendo apart from gimmicky party games, no Mario at launch, weaker third party support than even I expected and paid online. Zelda looks so dam good just can't justify the cost for one game.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well count me out on launch day. I was ready to go in on the Switch if it had 1-2 games I wanted at launch, but that launch line up (and most the presser) had way too many parallels to the Wii U launch, and we all know how that went. I can play Zelda on my Wii U, so I'll sit and wait for that Mario game to come out before I decide to get one or not.

Kinda disappointed. Didn't follow any news pre-event, and didn't have high expectations either, but man....Nintendo has a lot to try to recoup, and this did not seem like a strong start to that.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I'm sure Nintendo's paid internet service will be super rock solid and reliable /s

I forgot about the service they mentioned. They just threw it out there and said nothing about it. If I have to pay for it what do I get for it? Will it have netflix, hulu, amazon prime? They have brought up more questions than answers and its less than 3 months away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.