Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 (January 12th/13th, 8pm PT/05:00 CET/3pm AEDT)

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So like, how is that game "Xenoblade 2"? There is no game called "Xenoblade", and there's already 2 "Xenoblade Chronicles" games. Is this just implying it's an actual sequel to the first one? What a weird way to name a thing. (I also still need to beat both those games...)

I dunno, I'm excited. Zelda and Mario look rad, those RPGs look cool, and I'm all for a Fire Emblem Warriors game. Think of how many characters are gonna be in it that have never been in games released in the US!

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

Some of these prices seem steep. $80 for a pair of joycons? $70 for the pro controller? That can't be right.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Only other thing that caught my attention was that 3D sprite Octopath Whatever game. That looked like somethin else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:
    @spacefish said:

Uh oh, this is bad. This is a bad first look at a console.

Why? Like really, break down for me why you thought this was a bad look, curious to understand. Seemed about on the level for most console reveals in the past years.

Not the way they presented it just what they had to show was bad.

Its more expensive than many people expected, OK I can deal with this.

You now must pay for online, the switch isn't a primary game console, paying for 2+ online services sits poorly with me.

We begin with flashbacks to the wii, the gimmick isn't new, this stuff isn't exciting anymore. Party games where you don't look at the screen, ok sure its probably fun enough.

The UI was never shown.

We move onto games, nothing new, nothing particularly exciting. Mario looks fun, Xenoblade looks worse than the wii u game, ports, ports. We then move onto several teasers, nothing substantial, I'm getting Wii U vibes (am I supposed to be excited for a muso game and another SMT promise?). Now listen to people talk about games they thought about making, even less shown. Hey guys remember skyrim??? The full force of Nintendo is on this thing, the Wii U stopped receiving games a while back, where are the games? History is repeating, this is exactly what we got with the Wii U.

Zelda trailer was hype as hell, the only thing that left an impression (its a Wii U game). I went from day 1 to wait a year or two and see, this felt like a sure shot and now im worried about Nintendo.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: i entirely disagree with that. breaking into ps4/xbone space would be ruinous and a much bigger crapshoot for them. who knows how much they'd have to invest into courting back the all important 3rd parties, as well as making something on parity with (preferably better than) the other two. they basically have to reinvent themselves for something thats already saturated. much better to do something unique as well as keep a foothold in the area they do have dominance in. you're basically saying there's no point in trying to innovate/differentiate?

and them going software only i feel would be a surefire way to bolster irrelevance. look at sega, for instance. not dead of course but definitely a shadow of what they once were. and i for one would miss deeper portable experiences like nintendo's offerings. not really an argument but more of a feeling i have is that all those clamoring for software only nintendo are those who wouldn't care if they crumbled and fell off the face of the earth, or would even be happy. but that may be a bias speaking. ;)

No Caption Provided

It's just another fucking Wii. The Joycons will never be used for anything meaningful. The only real feature of this thing is the ability to take it out of the house. So basically it is a handheld with an HDMI port. Take out the HDMI port and you have a more powerful PS Vita. That thing did well.

And no, I love Nintendo games for the most part.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106 49th  Online

Oof, £279 seems like way too much considering you can get a PS4/XBone for £250. I can't imagine there are many "casual" fans who would be willing to spend more on a Nintendo console.

I'm not getting burned again like I did with the 3DS where they dropped the price a few months later.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, hopefully this brings us one step closer to Nintendo just becoming a 3rd party developer/publisher.

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
    NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that Zelda trailer was one of the best video game trailers I've ever watched. But I am absolutely getting it for my dusty Wii U. Why wouldn't I? The Mario release has been pushed so the Switch launch has effectively nothing. Pulling 1,2 Switch and Arms as their big announcements was cringeworthy.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Welp, I don't need one of these things at launch. Kinda underwhelmed, actually. Don't get me wrong, Zelda still looks great, but unless the Wii U version is seriously gimped I think I'll just play it there. I really don't need any motion controlled garbage in my life anymore, and Mario Odyssey and Splatoon aren't until later in the year. And for as much as I love Fire Emblem... I'll pass on it getting the Musou treatment.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By wmoyer83

inferior skyrim

Tiny controllers

mario 2006

ice cube simulator

a picture of Travis touchdown

Sega says "this looks neat" and abruptly leaves

video game without the video

soccer

a bunch of interesting stuff that is mentioned but not shown

Mario Kart 8

And Zelda

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still into it, but I'm not that hard of a sell to be honest. I'll take anything that involves fire emblem characters even if its a mindless mashing battle game. I'm more interested in Persona 5 than Shin Megami Tensei 5, but I'll give it a shot. I never played the first Splatoon, but I'm interested in trying out the sequel. Xenoblade seems neat. I'm a little worried that Chronicles 2 is going to have been a one hit wonder for me on that series though. Zelda looks awesome of course. Got nerd chills when the music and action swelled. Mario seems cool. The city stuff looks weird as shit, but not in a way that makes me not want to play it. They got me on board with it with the other aspects of the game. The rest of the stuff seems like they're trying to recapture the success of the wii by creating wii sports styled experiences for people to enjoy with the joy cons. Not my cup of tea, but whatever.

Overall I'm still hoping that we'll eventually get to see HD versions of series that have been on handhelds lately or forever. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter to be exact. I'm not surprised they didn't show anything like that here though. They wouldn't want to give up their "oh yeah here's another handheld successor for us to cash in on" safety net just yet in case this thing fails this year. Plus those games just had releases last year, so it's not like there'd be much of anything new to show anyway.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I haven't been interested in a Zelda game in a long time, but holy hell, that trailer?? Are you kidding me??

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the presentation and the games to come. I've positive on the Switch. One of the few times I've been an outlier compared to the Giant Bomb crowd.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@machofantastico: Yeah fuck that. (cue the Brexit blaming)

Anyway, i'm just glad the most interesting game (Zelda, for me) is coming to Wii U. I'm all for a new Mario and Xenoblade 2 could be cool (those characters designs though..) but I've played games in those series relatively recently and i'm not starving for a new one like I would a new Metroid. Same for Splatoon, it was cool but I dont need a new one just yet.

And by the time No More Heroes x Fire Pro Wrestling comes out the console will hopefully be pretty cheap.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Welp, that was a bad presentation. They wasted the 1st 20 minutes by reiterating stuff we have already seen. Then they showed a bunch of Wii games. Mario and Zelda look INCREDIBLE, but I need to know more about the nuts and bolts of the console. How is the online store/user interface/virtual console???? Really disappointing.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@epidehl: It's called Xenoblade in Japan. They'll probably add the chronicles in other countries.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By sinjunb

That was a disaster of a reveal. $300 with no pack in games, $70 pro controller, and Zelda is the only game at launch (which you can get on the Wii U if you wait). No one is going to buy this thing for a while except for the most die-hard of Nintendo fans.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Breath of the Wild comes out on March 3 - at least on the Nintendo Switch, I hope the Wii U version isn't delayed or canceled for some reason. The only way I'll be getting a Switch at launch is if the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild is some kind of underperforming monstrosity (or if the Switch version runs at a 100% consistent 60FPS and the Wii U version doesn't, but I doubt that). Oh, yeah, and Breath of the Wild still looks FUCKING AMAZING, I might add. I don't know exactly what it is about that game, but literally everything they've shown about it makes me want it.

An Atlus game had a significant stage presence at a major press conference, they sure have gone up in the world! And it's a Shin Megami Tensei game, to boot! So, a console-oriented SMT game that might be SMT V is coming to the Switch but they've only just now started development on it. I should also note that a lot of the character models they used in that trailer look strikingly similar to SMT Nocturne's, so for a second there I was super hopeful that they were going to be doing an HD update (because that game, while amazing, could definitely use a whole lot of updating to fit with modern SMT standards as far as quality of life improvements go), but then they showed the Odin model - the big guy wearing yellow armor - and that's the SMT IV/Apocalypse drawing. Also worth noting that Odin plays a rather large role in SMT IV Apocalypse's story - he's sort of second to the major bad guy - so maybe this has something to do with SMT IV Apocalypse? The camera angle that the trailer starts with is very SMT IV-esque, only there's no big mass covering the sky so sunlight can show through, and that post-apocalypse looks way more like SMT IV's than Nocturne's.

...OK, enough of that, I don't want to be someone who over-analyzes trailers, just pointing out some details I noticed. I have no idea what exactly it was, I was just happy to see a Shin Megami Tensei game - not even a Persona game, a proper SMT game - on a major show stage.

Besides that, I thought the Gamecube handle thing was funny. "The Nintendo brought you two revolutionary controllers, the Super Nintendo brought you shoulder buttons and extra face buttons, the 64 brought you an analog stick and a rumble pack, the Gamecube brought you... um... a handle, yeah, a handle, that was so revolutionary and before its time that no one else has even thought to use it yet, including us!"

Anyway, yeah, Nintendo Switch. Looks cool. Will have one someday, if only for new Shin Megami Tensei, but I seriously doubt I'll own one at launch. I thought we were going to have new console Fire Emblem for a second but that's just Dynasty Warriors: Fire Emblem. Mario looks cool but I've never been super into Mario (putting him in what looks like New York beside real people reminded me a little too much of a certain other old video game mascot's 3D outing) and it's coming out Holiday 2017, not at launch. Xenoblade 2 looks awesome but I still haven't gotten around to Xenoblade Chronicles or X.

They're going to start charging for online multiplayer, too, which isn't something that I have a major problem with if... and that is one big

IF

everything you buy digitally is tied to an account and not to a system. Microsoft figured this shit out eleven years ago, it is their single greatest accomplishment in console gaming, and Nintendo still can't do it right.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL at the Canadian prices. $90 pro controller. $100 for a pair of Joy Cons or $65 for one. $40 for the grip.

At least you can feel those ice cubes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was underwhelmed by the games they showed, but I'm trying to keep the perspective that the presentation was only an hour with half of that being hardware and launch talk.

Hoping for a clearer view of games for the first year after tomorrow. Planned to get it at launch, but now I can probably wait til Mario. Having that and Zelda be my first two big games will be a good start.

Reminded me of the initial PS4 event, which was fairly mundane and informative on the hardware end, as well. Whereas Sony talked specs while Nintendo talked controllers.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping to get a look at the UI or the online store, but maybe tomorrow?

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't give a damn about mobile gaming, the $300 price tag and underwhelming launch lineup leaves me cold. I really wanted to be excited for this... Shit. Well, maybe in a couple years. Here's hoping I see you Black Friday 2018, Nintendo.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@based said:

I was hoping to get a look at the UI or the online store, but maybe tomorrow?

Lets hope they just left what the westerners want to hear during their stream tomorrow

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I dunno about this launch lineup. Zelda looks great and all but I think I'll wait for Mario. And where the fuck was Monster Hunter?!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man did they not even explain the storage??

Those European and Canadian prices are bullshit.

This is the ultimate "Wait 2 years" console.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, hopefully this brings us one step closer to Nintendo just becoming a 3rd party developer/publisher.

Can't come soon enough. Nintendo games on Steam, here we come!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Sadly the Wii and Wii U were also "wait 2 years" consoles...and we all know how that went. This is a very scary trap-like situation Nintendo wants us to partake in.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno about this launch lineup. Zelda looks great and all but I think I'll wait for Mario. And where the fuck was Monster Hunter?!

For real. Monster Hunter is a blooming franchise in America and is huge in Japan and not to include it feels like a huge misstep. Maybe Capcom is going multiplatform

Pokemon should have been a thing too.

Baffled, really.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: Yeah I feel bad for Nintendo but honestly this just looks like a raw deal for the consumer. Picking this up used in a few years with the first party support that wasn't there at launch just seems smart at this point.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh you, Nintendo... Nintendo you. When will you ever learn?

Mario looks good.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just realized I want a Warioware game for the switch.

drainbamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the complete world wide launch lineup as listed on Nintendo's Japanese site:

• Zelda
    • Nobunaga's Ambition
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris S
    • I am Setsuna
    • Super Bomberman R
    • Disgaea 5
    • Romance of the Three Kingdoms
    • DragonQuest Heroes 1 and 2
    • Snipperclips
    • And... 1-2-Switch

I... what? No but... what? It isn't 2 games like the N64, but holy hell for a modern console that looks extremely weak?

I'm still intrigued by the concept of the console, and I hope Mario's great cause I've been longing for a big 3d Mario for awhile now, but I really expected them to announce more for launch tonight. Shocked stuff like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (an update/port of the Wii U game) didn't even make it.

If games dont get delayed then by the end of the year it should have Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario which might be the time I consider it... but as someone who felt mildly disappointed in my Wii U purchase, that showing unsold me on buying a Switch day one. Bummer...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I just realized I want a Warioware game for the switch.

That actually would have been pretty dope. Now I'm sad because that didn't happen.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legit can't believe it's just base Skyrim and not the SE version, not that i would ever play Skyrim anywhere but PC.

Zelda looks beautiful tho but $400-$450 AUD plus $100 bucks for Zelda. Damn.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drainbamage: It is baffling to me that this was not mentioned on the stage. Anyone coming out of the conference only would only know about a grand total of 2 launch games. Would it have been really that difficult to cut out one of the 3rd party guests, nearly all of whom only had some incredibly vague details to share, in order to actually try to sell people on buying a Switch day one by showing this list? I know that Zelda is a massive pull, but they really should have mentioned this lineup.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About that online service...

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device."

So I'm paying money to use my phone to talk to my friends? Lol

Also 32gb for storage is weak even if it's expandable. It's a digital world Nintendo, come on...

Skyrim not even coming out until the fall

80 dollars for the Joycons.
    70 for the pro controller.

The deeper you dig the more crazy this thing is.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oof. Zelda needs to carry this system on it's back if Nintendo wants to have decent sales.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By cloudymusic
    @jiggajoe14 said:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

Some of these prices seem steep. $80 for a pair of joycons? $70 for the pro controller? That can't be right.

$50 for one Joy-Con, $80 for two. $70 for a pro controller. $30 for a grip. $90 for an extra dock. You've gotta be kidding me, lol.

I was figuring I'd pick one of these up at launch, but now...man, I really don't think so, unless they have something big up their sleeves.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

As a PC gamer, it at least looks more interesting than any other console system, to me.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By pyrodactyl

@viciousbearmauling said:

Man did they not even explain the storage??

Those European and Canadian prices are bullshit.

This is the ultimate "Wait 2 years" console.

Totally agree. Zelda looks good but I'll play on WiiU. Mario looks good but I'll live. I probably should play Galaxy 2 or the WiiU one instead anyway. Those JRPGs could be great but no way they're coming out this year. This looks like the WiiU but with less games I want to play. Hard pass on this one. Maybe they'll be able to convince me in 2018.

PS: with this lineup a paid online service sounds insane. People are suppose to pay for online in basically the same games that had online on WiiU for free? Even with all the free games and third party support Sony paid online is barely worth it. The idea that it would be on a Nintendo console is crazy unless they have some netflix style virtual console plan in mind.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By MrPlatitude

The deeper you dig the more crazy this thing is.

It sure seemed like this was Nintendo's shot at doing things better, but looking like probably not. Which is a huge bummer.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$70 USD for a controller seems....super steep ? but mario and zelda look great! ?

drainbamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Mannnn... At first I assumed the smart phone voice chat would be an optional/additional way to communicate, but after reading your post and digging around a bit it sure sounds like its the only way, at least at launch... Now having bad flashbacks to running Skype a laptop next to me to voice chat while playing Mario Kart Wii, lol...

I sure hope all this works out. The hybrid nature of this thing appeals to me, just hope Nintendo aren't fumbling everything else around it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By pyrodactyl

@superfluousmoniker said:

For real. Monster Hunter is a blooming franchise in America and is huge in Japan and not to include it feels like a huge misstep. Maybe Capcom is going multiplatform

Pokemon should have been a thing too.

Baffled, really.

Gave up on Nintendo making bold, interesting decisions with their console software a long time ago. Since the Wii their game lineup has been extremely predictable and mostly uninteresting. A huge waste.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is 1-2-Switch even a bundled game?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the Switch really the successor to both the 3DS and the WiiU? I feel that the whole handheld part of the Switch is underwhelming. Battery life is not great, no Monster Hunter, Pokemon, or Picross (classic nintendo handheld games)announced.Gerstmann was spot on when he said a few bombcasts ago that his Switch would remain docked and this is how he would play it.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.