Nintendo Direct Impressions

#1 Edited by posh (488 posts) -

- Wonderful 101

- Xenoblade

- New Smash Bros to be revealed at E3

- Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

- Wind Waker HD

- New Zelda is in the making, hinted at new approach (e.g. complete dungeons in any order)

- Yoshi's Epic Yarn

- Other stuff I missed because I didn't watch the whole stream

thoughts? not sure about how th new zelda sounds, I love the old formula too much.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@posh said:

Persona x Fire Emblem

Fuckin' what?

#3 Posted by Abendlaender (2805 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@posh said:

Persona x Fire Emblem

Fuckin' what?

It's SMT x Fire Emblem, not Persona

#4 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

Wait a minute, there's a Yoshi's Epic Yarn. I think I may need a Wii U

#5 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@posh said:

Persona x Fire Emblem

Fuckin' what?

Shim Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, not Persona

I thought it was pretty good. I look forward to seeing how these games turn out.

#6 Edited by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Shim Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, not Persona

That makes a little more sense. Crossing over the universes is something I can get behind, but the idea of Aigis & Naoto interacting with Roy & Marth doesn't exactly sound appealing. I'm uh, interested to hear more.

#7 Posted by Young_Scott (85 posts) -

To clarify, "Wind Waker HD" sounds to be a complete remake, and it's not Persona x Fire Emblem, it's Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. Everything looked awesome. The new Xenoblade (or Xenogears?) looked incredible:

#8 Posted by Milkman (16791 posts) -
@posh said: 

- Wind Waker HD

Getting excited about a remake of a decade old game is falling right into Nintendo's bullshit. Yet...here I am getting excited about a remake of a decade old game. Goddamnit. 

Also, Yoshi's Epic Yarn? Fuck yes. 
#9 Posted by posh (488 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@TooWalrus said:

@posh said:

Persona x Fire Emblem

Fuckin' what?

my bad, I haven't played either and thought they were the same thing.

#10 Posted by Faltru (113 posts) -

@posh said:

- Wind Waker HD

Sold.

#11 Edited by Abendlaender (2805 posts) -

I think the Direct was pretty okay, but a lot of it felt like "No, we are still totally making games. Can't tell or show you anything though, wait for E3 LOL"

But I have to say, Xenoblade 2 looks pretty amazing

#12 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

Hyped as hell. I just need dates for a few of those games and I'll know exactly when I'm getting a WiiU.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24794 posts) -

@Young_Scott said:

To clarify, "Wind Waker HD" sounds to be a complete remake, and it's not Persona x Fire Emblem, it's Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. Everything looked awesome. The new Xenoblade (or Xenogears?) looked incredible:

Whatever its name is, that was goddamn incredible, and I'm happy to see NOA proactively put out a trailer for it. Maybe this time they'll release the game in North America without being slammed by a fan campaign first.

#14 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

boring as fuck for 20 minutes and then they started dropping the bombs.... panic nintendo are best nintendo...

man that new xeno game just looks awesome, really hope that's shulk in the trailer and its a sequel to xenoblade. Also hope its not an MMO

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Anyway, all this stuff sounds good. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game (though I'd be more excited for a Majora's Mask 3DS remake), I'm always down for Smash Bros. (but hopefully they come up with a better name than "Super Smash Bros. WiiU" If Yoshi's Epic Yarn is anything like Yoshi's Story (that esthetic was very material-based too) than color me excited for that, too. Xenoblade? Whatever, I couldn't get into that game and graphics didn't have anything to do with why, and this SMT thing could have potential. Is there footage of this stuff yet?

#16 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

Was any of this for 3DS, or was it all for Wii U?

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Looks like I'm getting a Wii U this year. Happy they brought the big stuff to this Nintendo Direct.

#18 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Was any of this for 3DS, or was it all for Wii U?

All WiiU. I guess it's because the 3DS is already pretty fleshed out in terms of releases this year compared to the WiiU's pretty sad launch window lineup.

#19 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle: all wiiu, think he said at the end there would be a 3ds one soon

#20 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

@VicRattlehead said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle: all wiiu, think he said at the end there would be a 3ds one soon

Damn, I was hoping Wind Waker would somehow end up on a 3DS. I guess that was unrealistic.

#21 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Final Fantasy is dead. Sorry cosplayers.

Nintendo Direct - First you bore me, then you apologize, then you BLOW MY DICK OFF!

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Did anybody get any hilarious screencaps of Iwata doing anything wacky?

#23 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Xeno-Sequel: After several viewings, the consensus is EXCITE

I'm gonna kill me an MF techno-brontosaurus; that's what's up

#24 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -

Yoshi looks great but also reminds me a lot of Yoshi's Story (yikes). Doesn't help that they put Yoshi's Story on the screen for like 15 seconds. I'm sure it'll be better than that though. Also, the idea of an Epic Yarn series that spans different Nintendo franchises is pretty weird.

#25 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Iwata played it straight I think. Stream was lagging constantly.

#26 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

Nintendo brought the fucking business.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Nintendo brought the fucking business.

Yeah they really did. Along side Bayonetta 2, the list of WiiU games I'm interested is quickly growing longer. I'm definitely going to have to pick up a WiiU at some point... but still not a minute before Bayonetta hits he shelves.

#28 Edited by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

Nintendo's franchises are getting sequels, and since I don't really have an adoration for their franchises, unless the games are good then there isn't really anything here for me. Then again Kirby's Epic Yarn is pure magic, and the potential for a Yoshi version of that fills me with pure joy. Also why was no Kirby game announced.

#29 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

My Wii U too.

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Yoshi looks great but also reminds me a lot of Yoshi's Story (yikes). Doesn't help that they put Yoshi's Story on the screen for like 15 seconds. I'm sure it'll be better than that though.

Yoshi's Story is fantastic, god damn it. At least, my 9-year-old self things so. It's been awhile.

#31 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

Nintendo's franchises are getting sequels, and since I don't really have an adoration for their franchises, unless the games are good then there isn't really anything here for me. Then again Kirby's Epic Yarn is pure magic, and the potential for a Yoshi version of that with pure joy. Also why was no Kirby game announced.

Would you want anyone other than the Kirby team to make a Kirby game?

#32 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I would have probably preferred Majora's Mask but... Wind Waker HD sounds pretty cool.

#33 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@moffattron9000 said:

Nintendo's franchises are getting sequels, and since I don't really have an adoration for their franchises, unless the games are good then there isn't really anything here for me. Then again Kirby's Epic Yarn is pure magic, and the potential for a Yoshi version of that with pure joy. Also why was no Kirby game announced.

Would you want anyone other than the Kirby team to make a Kirby game?

Epic Yarn was made by Good-Feel instead of HAL, and that ended up alright.

#34 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

So this fall it's going to be...Yoshi, Mario, Mario Kart and Wind Waker HD? So no Retro game, Bayonetta 2 is probably early next year and Monolith's game is probably next summer.

#35 Posted by Rotten_Avocado (83 posts) -

@algertman said:

Final Fantasy is dead. Sorry cosplayers.

Nintendo Direct - First you bore me, then you apologize, then you BLOW MY DICK OFF!

That's okay about Final Fantasy. But can they resurrect FF VI one more time so I can fuck it?

#36 Edited by granderojo (1788 posts) -

The most depressing thing about these announcements is just how underwhelming the WiiU is graphically. I went and took a glance at the dolphin forums, the developers there are saying that at most you'll need an i7 to emulate WiiU when they finally roll out the WiiU Dolphin mode. That is pathetic considering that this is their product for the next 8 years at a minimum.

That said, glad to see Yoshi getting his propers. Those DS/SNES games were great. I'm already excited for Wonderful 101, even if Kamiya is a dick.

#37 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Yoshi looks great but also reminds me a lot of Yoshi's Story (yikes). Doesn't help that they put Yoshi's Story on the screen for like 15 seconds. I'm sure it'll be better than that though.

Yoshi's Story is fantastic, god damn it. At least, my 9-year-old self things so. It's been awhile.

I actually didn't hate Yoshi's Story, but... after Yoshi's Island? Yoshi's Island, man. Yoshi's Island.

#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I would have probably preferred Majora's Mask but... Wind Waker HD sounds pretty cool.

Pretty sure we'll see a Majora's Mask remake on the 3DS before long.

I'm definitely tempted to pick up a Wii U now, but I'll still wait for at least a bit of a price drop and to see if any of these games make it over here this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.