Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Omerta: City of Gangsters

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 31, 2013

A strategy game from Haemimont Games, the developers of Tropico 3 and 4, in which players build a 1920s-era criminal empire from the ground up.

Is anyone sold on this yet?

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

I don't know! it seems like a great concept, run your own Mafia styled crew with Xcom combat! But with the game play videos ect, it's failed to hook me!

Anyone definitely going to buy it?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm taking a hard look at it. I want to see some long form uninterrupted gameplay. I'm sure there will be a Quick Look.

I love the idea but yeah it does look a little rough... I can easily look past that though if it's fun. Turn based combat with a mangement system like that over top is brilliant though.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It seems (on first impressions) like a game I would buy in a sale. But yeah I wouldn't mind a quick look or something like that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm definitely interested, but the game just gives off a bad vibe =(

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

@BeachThunder: I know right? I think maybe I will give this one a miss at least until there's more information into how deep the simulation is! :)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

the idea is nice but the footage I've seen so far just looks... bad.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By leebmx

I liked Tropico a good deal so I think this game could be promising as the developers definitely have the mechanics locked down. Their games have never looked amazing so I am not that bothered about that but I am going to wait and see how the combat turns out as that could be a deal breaker.

I think a QL/review could be crucial.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By granderojo

No. I love sim games too, it just looks really clustered and uninteresting.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

@FancySoapsMan said:

the idea is nice but the footage I've seen so far just looks... bad.

Yes this is where I'm at as well.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BisonHero

The concept is really cool, but I'm afraid the combat and combat animations will be janky as fuck, especially compared to the relative smoothness of XCOM.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Yeah I'm thinking if you already own xcom then there's not much point buying this :(

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rowr

I'm a huge fan of tropico 3 and 4, but after blindly pre-ordering port royale 3 and jagged alliance crossfire and being hugely dissapointed (especially with the former), i might wait for some reviews for this one.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Patman99

As others have said, I am interested but the stuff I have seen seems awfully rough. I don't discriminate a game based on graphics or animation quality but it just feels like it will be a game full of bugs. Hopefully I am wrong.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By nerdsbeware

After playing XCom my interest in tactical-turn based games skyrocketed again but the fact that NO ONE on any outlet is really talking about this game worries me. Comes out next week and I haven't heard anyone mention it. Waiting for a QL to see how it plays. Seems like it could be cool and I really like the setting, but yea, this might be one for the next Steam sale.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AlexW00d
    JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JohnLocke

@ArtisanBreads said:

I'm taking a hard look at it. I want to see some long form uninterrupted gameplay. I'm sure there will be a Quick Look.

I love the idea but yeah it does look a little rough... I can easily look past that though if it's fun. Turn based combat with a mangement system like that over top is brilliant though.

This is essentially how I feel. I would like to see a quick look and see how the team feels about it before I buy it. However, it does look interesting and I like the Tropico games so I have a certain interest in the game already (plus X-COM was good so a gang style game with similar aspects would appeal to me).

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vigil80

I really want it to be good. I'm not necessarily worried about how pretty it is.

The bad part is that it's either buy it now while it's 15% off and hope for the best, or wait until the summer sale and get it. Even if it isn't bad, I'm not sure it'll be $40 good.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I played some of the demo, need to get through it.

And I'm really not sure what to say. The overworld seemed quite simple and so did the combat, but I've heard it gets better from impressions. So not sure what to think.

The combat is definitely simple and nothing on the level of say X-Com, but it could be fun as it goes along.

So kind of in the same spot I was before. Looking forward to reviews to shed light on how the game progresses. A Quick Look where they are hours in vs just starting would also be great, but I doubt we get that.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cbarnes86

I really enjoyed what I played in the demo. Not as in depth as I had hoped (I wanted Tropico with a mobster flair). Still, I pre-purchased on Steam a couple of weeks ago.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I'm very interested, but not enough to go out and buy it the very second its released. I'll wait until I beat my back log of games, and then invest a bunch of time into it and the Hitman HD collection in time before Bioshock Infinite

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ulong

Where is the demo for this game actually at? It's not on their website or in steam, and when I Google "Omerta city of gangsters demo" I just get several gaming sites saying "hey there's a demo out".

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OfficeGamer

@HeyImPhoenix said:

I don't know! it seems like a great concept, run your own Mafia styled crew with Xcom combat! But with the game play videos ect, it's failed to hook me!

Never intend to buy a game based on a concept. What you are left with is how the game controls and plays, not a concept to enjoy! The fact that the videos failed to hook you, simply because they are evidently terrible, is the only thing that matters.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    HarkinNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HarkinNecro

I'd like the business end of the game to have depth. I haven't played the demo yet but have been tempted to pre-purchase it on steam though I have to agree with above i'll wait for a quick look.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@HarkinNecro said:

I'd like the business end of the game to have depth. I haven't played the demo yet but have been tempted to pre-purchase it on steam though I have to agree with above i'll wait for a quick look.

That's a good move but you should give the demo a try if you're going to that length.

As I said though, the issue is the demo is at the start and from what I've heard it gets better and deeper as it goes. So still a tough decision.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deskp

If only it was a full on "tropico" styled game with some strategy on top. I will try the demo. I quite liked chicago 1930 when i played that (ages ago)

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fearbeard

I'm not sold on it, but I like unconventional console games so I'm definitely going to give it a try

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

This is one of those games you don't buy now so you can buy when its 50% off on a steam sale this spring or summer.

x0mb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By x0mb13

I pre ordered it, first on 360 because I am an achievement whore, but then on steam once I came to my senses. The game definitely looks a little rough but I sort of expect a certain level of manageable jenk when it comes to Kalypso games. I'm a big fan of the Tropico series despite its flaws so I have some hope for this game. Also this is sort of silly but true, I just finished catching up on Boardwalk Empire and loved every episode of it so this game really couldn't be dropping at a better time for me personally.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Harpell

I really want it to be good. Waiting on a Quick Look, like a lot of people said.

I really love the setting, so I hope the gameplay holds up.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By gaminghooligan
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

I played the demo, and I really liked the concept and the management stuff, but I didn't really enjoy the combat much. Doesn't feel as good as XCOM does.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Another review: http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/omerta-city-of-gangsters/1227312p1.html

Sounds like they were on to something and then just dropped the ball. Crazy bit I'm getting from this is there is no AI rival mob or anything battling for the same turf. What the hell? Go figure that they would do a better job with the tactical combat than the strategy layer given that this is the developer of Tropico. Different type of strategy, sure, but not having any real opposition? Crazy.

If the tactical combat was good enough I'd say fuck it but it doesn't look like it gets too much better. From the demo, the AI was really dumb just rushing forward and I found the fact that melee was so balanced... well silly. Loses some tactical flavor that way.

Ugh I think I'm waiting for a big sale for this one.

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrHammeh

I bought it on Steam for $33.  Its worth about that imo.  I wouldn't of paid full price for it.  If you liked the demo you will probably like the game.  A lot more opens up in the full game obviously but the main problem I have with it is the interface.  There is no graph or any in depth information about your business end of it as far as I can tell, played about 6 hours of it so far.  When you buy buildings and turn them into things its very hard to keep track of it all because on the mini-map as well as the screen there is no distinction about what is what until you actually click on it.   

The strategy game part of it all is what it is.  Its not the best in the world, far from x-com but its not too bad.  I am having fun with it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless their attraction for the game is the aesthetic like it was for me.  Like I said, its worth the $30 but not much more than that.  I hope that they fix things in a patch.  If there was a bit more polish it could of been such a great game, as is though its kinda janky and meh for the most part.  

Avatar image for peterpasinili007
    peterpasinili007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By peterpasinili007

I have it and I like it but I don't why other people hate it.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Khemitude

Am I the only one that thinks the name sounds like some iOS/Facebook Mafia Wars rip off? I kept seeing the name and just assumed thats what it was till recently.

On topic though It seems to have my interest but not at the current price when an inevitable sale happens I'm bound to pick it up though know that will never get played like every other gaming in my fucking huge steam libary of games that I really want to play but can never be arsed.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BisonHero

@Demoskinos said:

This is one of those games you don't buy now so you can buy when its 50% off on a steam sale this spring or summer.

Yeah, it seems like the definition of one of those games.

Then again, my standards are such that unless there is extreme hype train for a game (to the point that it would become hard to avoid spoilers), I usually wait for a sale. The last Steam game I pre-ordered/bought on day 1 was XCOM because it just looked so goddamn good, and before that was...Portal 2?

But yeah, this strikes me as the kind of game where you definitely may as well wait a few months for the first time it goes on sale, because I imagine there will also be a fair number of bug fixes and balance tweaks in that time as well.

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cruxking

PC gamer seemed to like Omerta in their review. still havent played the demo yet but im really rooting for this game. I want it to be good, so badly.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By triple07

No but I'll definitely get it on a Steam sale at least since I loved Tropico.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#40  Edited By Sin4profit

So after playing 4 hours of this, the game isn't terrible by any means but it's completely forgettable.

The overhead (business) gameplay plays like a 4X lite, I'm playing the story mode and so far i don't feel like i'm building a criminal empire but just going from level to level fulfilling set objectives. get 60 beers, earn $1000 dirty money, earn $$1000 clean money, mission over, onto the next mission which resets your earnings. Like i said, i don't feel like i'm accomplishing anything with this method, just going through, level by level.

The turn based combat feels bolted on, overly convoluted, and unnecessary. Nothing really carries over from the turn based game to the overhead game, you're not gaining loot by playing the combat missions. They're just kind of a side thing that you play to further the story or earn a bit of extra money and the mechanics are not woven together as well as something like a jagged alliance or an xcom. Most turn based games let you select from your team to execute your maneuvers the way you see fit but here it's based on an individual turn system based on stats. i may want to start my attack by moving my shotgun guy first but i'm forced to move another guy and wait til the shotgun guy gets his turn; it's annoying. Moving your units doesn't use an all AP system like classic turn based games, xcom, jagged alliance, and fallout, but a segregated Movement Points and Action Points system, you have to move your character first because if you use any action points it cancels your movement points unless your character has a "skill" that will allow it. The system ties into the perk system which has perks for firing a weapon without moving from your last position.

If you get a boner for prohibition era criminal business management it may slowly grow on ya but most should wait for a deep sale on this one i think.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Pretty damning review from Eurogamer

I actually like what I played of the demo, but that was a fairly short snippet of gameplay and the combat did feel pretty bolted on. Like somebody saw XCOM and thought they could do something like that as well. If the gameplay never opens up much beyond what we saw there, I could see how it could quickly grow boring too, I assumed the larger cities later on would offer far more than that little tutorial did.

I'd probably still buy it though, if it were significantly reduced on Steam.

x0mb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By x0mb13

So the game is out, I was pretty hopeful for the game. I am a few hours and missions in at this point and this game is just sort of meh. I'm enjoying it but i don't feel compelled to keep playing the way i normally do with a new game. I think a big mistake people are making though is comparing this to XCOM. The combat in Omerta has much more in common with the original fallout series than it does XCOM. You use AP and MP, you even have the same "aim" function that was in the fallout series. Not saying that is good or bad I just think it is a more accurate comparison.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.