Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a Gaming PC Need Help / Recommendations

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By j_drace

Ok, so as the title states I'm building a gaming PC.  This is my second time building one, but the first time I did it with a friend who was very knowledgeable with PC parts.  I know a decent amount.  I wouldn't say I'm a whiz, but I do know a lot more than the normal person. 

My Reason:  I like PC games because obviously on the graphics end they are a lot better, but also because of the mods, more precision, more flexibility, and I feel like it's more personal since I'm a lot closer to the monitor and what not.  About 3 years ago I had a Dell XPS 720 with the best specs you can imagine at the time.  Quadcore when it first came out.  So I'm familiar with PC gaming and the technology.  I sold it since windows Vista made it run like shit and because most of my friends played 360 and I would have friends over basically every day.  Now with college and everything I don't need to worry about that.  The main reason was mostly Vista and I switched to a Mac because of that and I don't plan on switching back.

My Objective:  Build a gaming PC in the $2,000 price range that can play games on max settings and that will last for 2-3 years, I do not mind upgrading video card yearly.  I want to make sure that with the motherboard I have it is easily upgradeable for the future.  I will only be using this computer for gaming since I have an iMac and there is no way I'm going back to windows for general use and video editing.  

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz

Motherboard: EVGA X58

RAM: Corsair Dominator  6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz 

Video Card: 2X Radeon 5850 or 2X nVidia GTX 275 1.7GB

HDD: 1.5TB Western Digital 7,200 RPM 32MB Cache

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium 

Optical Drive: LiteOn 24x DVD-R

PSU: Corsair 850W 

Case: Silverstone Raven RV01

Other Thoughts / Questions:  Please make recommendations for other parts.  Since it is a gaming PC I don't want to go with budget parts.  I am flexible with the price even though I would like to keep it around the $2,000 price range.  Also I haven't been on top of the PC hardware so is nVidia still better than ATI for video cards?  I know that Intel blows AMD out of the water.  Which pair of video cards listed should I buy?  On paper it looks like ATI is better, but tests are mixed.  How is the crossfire support compared to SLI?

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Looks good, but maybe go with 6GB of RAM. I read somewhere that multiples of 3 work better with i7 mobos, but don't quote me. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
    @j_drace: 
    Doesn't seem like a bad bunch of choices so far, but 2xGTS 250 seems like a really inefficient choice to me.  Better to buy a higher end single GPU solution.

You won't be able to take advantage of higher end DX10 or DX11 graphics features without Vista or Windows 7.  I'd recommend moving on.

Is your copy of Windows XP 64-bit?  You should get a 64-bit OS to utilize 4GB of RAM (which is a good amount).  Otherwise you'll only have 2GB-3GB or so available for programs.

If you do move on to Windows 7 or Vista you probably won't need the X-Fi sound card, as changes in Windows Audio have kind of cut out the advantages of the X-Fi tech (but not completely).

That case seems crazy expensive to me, I just don't think you should spend that much on a case.

@Giantsquirrel said:
    Looks good, but maybe go with 6GB of RAM. I read somewhere that multiples of 3 work better with i7 mobos, but don't quote me.
    I don't have a DDR3 mobo myself, but maybe has to do with putting your RAM into triple channel?  I'm not certain about that tech myself.  Probably would be good to do, if that's how it works.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By j_drace
    @Giantsquirrel said:
    " Looks good, but maybe go with 6GB of RAM. I read somewhere that multiples of 3 work better with i7 mobos, but don't quote me.  "
    I would, but I am using Windows XP 32Bit so 4GB, well actually 3.25GB is the most supported.  I think I do have a 64bit CD laying around somewhere.  I have used Windows XP 64Bit before, but had a lot of problems with it.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @j_drace said:
    " @Giantsquirrel said:
    " Looks good, but maybe go with 6GB of RAM. I read somewhere that multiples of 3 work better with i7 mobos, but don't quote me.  "
    I would, but I am using Windows XP 32Bit so 4GB, well actually 3.25GB is the most supported.  I think I do have a 64bit CD laying around somewhere.  I have used Windows XP 64Bit before, but had a lot of problems with it. "
    64-bit support is much better these days in VIsta at least.  I've had real problems with exactly one application and Half Life 2, and the HL2 is easily switched to the 32-bit exe.  I'd strongly recommend moving on to a 64-bit Windows 7.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By j_drace
    @Diamond said:
    " @j_drace: 
    Doesn't seem like a bad bunch of choices so far, but 2xGTS 250 seems like a really inefficient choice to me.  Better to buy a higher end single GPU solution.

You won't be able to take advantage of higher end DX10 or DX11 graphics features without Vista or Windows 7.  I'd recommend moving on.

Is your copy of Windows XP 64-bit?  You should get a 64-bit OS to utilize 4GB of RAM (which is a good amount).  Otherwise you'll only have 2GB-3GB or so available for programs.

If you do move on to Windows 7 or Vista you probably won't need the X-Fi sound card, as changes in Windows Audio have kind of cut out the advantages of the X-Fi tech (but not completely).

That case seems crazy expensive to me, I just don't think you should spend that much on a case.

@Giantsquirrel said:
    I don't have a DDR3 mobo myself, but maybe has to do with putting your RAM into triple channel?  I'm not certain about that tech myself.  Probably would be good to do, if that's how it works. "
    I will upgrade to Windows 7 eventually just not yet.  I think I have a 64bit CD somewhere, but when i used it I had lots of problems with it.  As for the case I know it is expensive, but I really like it and since I will be looking at it for a while 3 years minimum I might as well not be cheap and get something that I like and reliable.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By j_drace
    @Diamond: I've had 64Bit Windows Vista Ultimate and it completely sucked.  The biggest waste of $300.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

I haven't taken a close look yet but there must be something wrong with your build, I have  

i7 920 
    GTX 275 SLI 
    6GB DDR3 1600 
    1TB HDD
    24" Monitor 
     (and other required parts)
    For 2k altogether. That is better than what you have and I bought it half a year ago. I might be able to take a closer look later but for now all I can suggest is upgrade your graphics setup, GTS 250 SLI is good value but poor in terms of absolute performance. You could probably shave off a few hundred dollars from your case, mouse, keyboard and monitor and spend that money on the thing that really matters, the graphics setup. By doing so you could probably get double the performance than what you would get currently, at the same price. 

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By j_drace
    @Geno said:
    " I haven't taken a close look yet but there must be something wrong with your build, I have   i7 920 GTX 275 SLI 6GB DDR3 1600 1TB HDD24" Monitor  (and other required parts)For 2k altogether. That is better than what you have and I bought it half a year ago. I might be able to take a closer look later but for now all I can suggest is upgrade your graphics setup, GTS 250 SLI is good value but poor in terms of absolute performance. You could probably shave off a few hundred dollars from your case, mouse, keyboard and monitor and spend that money on the thing that really matters, the graphics setup. By doing so you could probably get double the performance than what you would get currently, at the same price.  " @Geno:
    Thanks for the recommendation.  I looked into that and have updated my specs now.  I'm going to buy a GTX 275 1.8GB and then in about 2 weeks once I save up enough money buy the second one.  Also I settled for that CPU, but I chose to go with the 4GB RAM instead of 6GB since I don't know when exactly I will be updating to Windows 7.  I'm still keeping the case and monitor, LOL.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Geno
    @j_drace said:

" @Geno said:

" I haven't taken a close look yet but there must be something wrong with your build, I have   i7 920 GTX 275 SLI 6GB DDR3 1600 1TB HDD24" Monitor  (and other required parts)For 2k altogether. That is better than what you have and I bought it half a year ago. I might be able to take a closer look later but for now all I can suggest is upgrade your graphics setup, GTS 250 SLI is good value but poor in terms of absolute performance. You could probably shave off a few hundred dollars from your case, mouse, keyboard and monitor and spend that money on the thing that really matters, the graphics setup. By doing so you could probably get double the performance than what you would get currently, at the same price.  " @Geno:

Thanks for the recommendation.  I looked into that and have updated my specs now.  I'm going to buy a GTX 275 1.8GB and then in about 2 weeks once I save up enough money buy the second one.  Also I settled for that CPU, but I chose to go with the 4GB RAM instead of 6GB since I don't know when exactly I will be updating to Windows 7.  I'm still keeping the case and monitor, LOL. "
    You should be going with Radeon 5xxx or wait for GT300. Not only do they support DX11, but they outperform the previous generation even at the same price point. The 5870 costs about 33% more than GTX 275 but has nearly double the performance, while the 5850 has better performance for less. I kind of wish I thought more about the 5xxx series before I bought my setup.  

And dude go with Windows 7. Don't be a noob. 
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By j_drace
    @Geno: I'm not going with ATI nor am I going with Windows 7 right away.  I used to have a ATI 1800XT 512MB like 4 years ago when they first came out and I didn't really like it much.  I prefer nVidia if the 300 series launch within a month or so then I may get them instead.  As for Windows 7, I've used it and I'm not really that impressed with it.  I'm not jumping on the DX11 bandwagon either because I did jump on the DX10 bandwagon when that came out and it wasn't much of an improvement.  So I'm going to be sticking with XP until Windows 7 really catches my eye.  WIth that being said IDK if you read my entire post or at least past the parts section, but this PC is only for gaming since I have an iMac.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

switch your mobo to X58 (for future proofness) and also usb 3.0 (nothing uses it yet, but, believe me, they will be)

switch your GPU to an ATI 5870 (or 5970 if you have the money) 
     or wait for the 300 series nvidia's to come out.  
    it's a waste of money to get anything in the 200 series because it's about the same price as nvidia's new cards but there's no directx11 and have lower specs.

you're getting ripped off on the memory, if you're gonna spend that much you might as well get 6 gb's (3 x 2gb ddr3) 

and dude. 
    windows 7. 
    seriously.   
    64 bit rules, especially with 4 or more gb's of ram (which xp 32 doesn't support) and a multicore processor like the core i7.  staying with XP would just be a waste, because you cant even get the full performance out of your fancy new PC.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman
    @j_drace said:
    " @Diamond: I've had 64Bit Windows Vista Ultimate and it completely sucked.  The biggest waste of $300. "
    Windows 7 has pretty much kicked vistas ass.  seriously, just get 64 bit. 
    i can't recommend it strongly enough. 
    just do it. 
    now.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geno
    @j_drace said:

" @Geno: I'm not going with ATI nor am I going with Windows 7 right away.  I used to have a ATI 1800XT 512MB like 4 years ago when they first came out and I didn't really like it much.  I prefer nVidia if the 300 series launch within a month or so then I may get them instead.  As for Windows 7, I've used it and I'm not really that impressed with it.  I'm not jumping on the DX11 bandwagon either because I did jump on the DX10 bandwagon when that came out and it wasn't much of an improvement.  So I'm going to be sticking with XP until Windows 7 really catches my eye.  WIth that being said IDK if you read my entire post or at least past the parts section, but this PC is only for gaming since I have an iMac. "

Then wait for GT300 which will supposedly be launched in 2 months, otherwise you'll feel disappointed when a couple months later something that runs twice as good for the same price comes out. Also ATi has greatly improved since then, you should go with specs, not companies.  

Choice of OS is personal preference (for word processing and web browsing anyway), but it's been my experience that Mac is rather unintuitive and hard to use. Maybe you should try Windows 7 a bit more; my productivity has greatly increased since using it. 
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By j_drace
    @Geno: We all have our own opinions and mine is that Macs are very easy to use once you learn them and that they are simply better than Windows in every way.  I've used Windows Since '95 and OSX since Leopard. 
    Cloudwork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Cloudwork

I suggest going with the Radeon HD5870 it seems to be the best graphics card out atm, (if you dont count the HD5970 because of its driver issues.)  it supports direct X 11 as well so, like the poster above says, go with windows 7 64bit. This site may be of interest 
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/01/11/what-hardware-should-i-buy-january-2010/4

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @j_drace said:
    "

My Objective:  Build a gaming PC in the $2,000 price range that can play games on max settings and that will last for 2-3 years.

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202 ) - $289

- GOOD

Motherboard: EVGA P55 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188055 ) - $190

- FINE CHOICE if you're going with an 1156 i7 (8xx series) so instead you'd need EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $l259.99 but that board lacks Dolby Digital Live/Home Theatre realtime 5.1 /7.1 encoding.   

Instead if you get the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 - $289 you'll not need the soundcard and you'll get SATAIII and USB3.0 support included as well.  I myself have happily used Gigabyte boards forever (not a shill) and love my GA-P55-UD4P and the Dolby Digital Live feature is incredibly well designed with it automatically detecting the input source from games and movie software (MediaPlayerClassic-HomeCinema and Windows Media Center) and appropriately either passing it through (for AC3 and DTS encoded movies and games like GTA IV/Crysis) or reencoding stereo into 5.1 and throwing all of that seamlessly without any user intervention to my Sony 5.1 Amp via a single optical TOSlink cable.  I could also push the audio through my 9600GT's HDMI output via a minicable which is included with the 9600gt which connects via a digital output header on the motherboard, but I haven't bothered as I'll never use BluRay on my PC.

RAM: Corsair Dominator  4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145249 ) - $146

- Completely silly choice.  You need a DDR3 Triple Channel Kit, like this OCZ Kit - $149 to maximise your i7 920's potential!

Video Card: EVGA nVidia GTX 275 1.8GB 256Bit ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0028ACU5I/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1KG6QISTB45M0&v=glance ) - $320

- Fine Choice as long as you're aware of lacking DX11 support and are willing to purchase another card within that 3 year window.

HDD: Western Digital Black 640GB 7,200 RPM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319 ) - $75

- Poor choice. The Samsung Spinpoint 1TB - $84.99 is better, larger, faster (32MB cache) and runs cooler.  10 bucks gives you much larger storage capacity and that will mean less hassle in the long run.

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium  ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024 ) - $100

-  Practically Useless in modern gaming terms.  Most of the features that were available in XP, such dynamic 3D reverb and occlusion are not available in Vista and 7 due to the death of MME and DirectSound3D.

OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 - I already have the CD

-  If you want to game properly within the next 3 years Windows 7 is where it's at.  Home Premium 64bit  - $104 will allow you to use your 6GB RAM properly, otherwise you'll be limited by a 32bit OS at approximately 3.2GB.

The rest seems fine and really comes down to personal choice. 
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jiggah

First thing first.  That motherboard is an 1156 slot and not a 1366.  It does not support an i7 920, get something else.

Secondly,  getting 4 GB is a waste for that setup especially since your insistent on not using Windows 7 x64 (which you can find for $30 if you're a student) or Vista x64.  You might as well get 3 sticks of 1 GB for a total of 3 GB and then upgrade to 6 GB down the line.  This would also mean you probably should get a board that has the 6 ram slots rather than 4.

It seems that you want help, but won't really accept any, weird.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By DCFGS3

Drop your sound card and get a 60GB Solid state drive, run your OS off that. In regards to Mobo, I personally got an Intel P6T, it'll support your chip and runs beautifully.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By j_drace
    @Jiggah: @Jiggah said:
    " First thing first.  That motherboard is an 1156 slot and not a 1366.  It does not support an i7 920, get something else.   Secondly,  getting 4 GB is a waste for that setup especially since your insistent on not using Windows 7 x64 (which you can find for $30 if you're a student) or Vista x64.  You might as well get 3 sticks of 1 GB for a total of 3 GB and then upgrade to 6 GB down the line.  This would also mean you probably should get a board that has the 6 ram slots rather than 4.  It seems that you want help, but won't really accept any, weird. "
    Yeah, I realized that too.  When updating I was not paying attention to the specs of the motherboard.  I will fix that later.  I'm planning on building the PC within a month.  Until then I will use Windows more often and maybe take a break from my iMac and see how it compares to XP.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By j_drace

If I do go with Windows 7 is 6GB RAM enough or should I go with 12?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

6 should be fine, even for really RAM intensive tasks liked editing video in HD.  I find my 4GB is barely stretched and I make music.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By korwin

6gig is just dandy for you average 1366 socket user, only people who need that sort of ram are video editors, graphic designers and people like myself who run VM environments. Grab Win7 64-bit, it's great and works splendidly (and it's not like it costs any more than the 32-bit variety), I've been using it a while now and its a fantastic OS.  I'd suggest maybe taking a look at the ATI Radeon 5850 over the GTX 275, the 275 is a great card to be sure but the 5850 is a little quicker and has full DX11 support (DX11 API's are to be included in titles launching soon like AVP3 and Battlefield BC2), also it packs a few extra bells and whistles (eyefinity, hdmi out with full 7.1 LPCM audio).

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By j_drace
    @Korwin: Yeah, a lot of people have been recommending the 5850 card.  I'm sort of leaning towards that side, but I need to check it out and read some reviews since my past experiences with ATI haven't been that pleasant.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By korwin

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/30/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5850_video_card_review

Theres a review from my normal "go to" tech site if your interested.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By j_drace
    @Korwin: Thanks, a lot.  I will be posting update specs tomorrow most likely.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By j_drace

UPDATED PARTS.  With the current parts I have listed how will the PC perform with games like Dragon Age: Origins and Crysis Warhead on a resolution of 1650x1080 or 1920x1200?  How will it perform on those resolutions with only one video card as opposed to two?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Driadon

I'd reccomend you snag Windows 7 instead of XP. As great as XP is, you won't be able to take full advantage of that hardware on it. On top of that CrossfireX is many times better then SLI, at least where performance-per-card is concerned. 
    To answer your last question: To get an idea how two 5850's will run, check out this review. Dragon Age should not be a problem, by the way.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Geno
    @j_drace said:

" UPDATED PARTS.  With the current parts I have listed how will the PC perform with games like Dragon Age: Origins and Crysis Warhead on a resolution of 1650x1080 or 1920x1200?  How will it perform on those resolutions with only one video card as opposed to two? "

5850 CF is equivalent to 5970, which in turn means it's about 30% stronger than the GTX 295 (which in turn is slightly weaker than GTX 275 SLI). It will run DAO at max graphics at a constant 60fps with vsync on. For Crysis Warhead, well, unfortunately the same old story continues and you most likely will not be able to attain 60fps smooth, even with no AA. For comparison I get about 35fps on Warhead with GTX 275 SLI, with 1920x1080 4xAA 16AF; 5850 CF will deliver about 45-50fps at those settings. Though I still heavily urge anyone planning on buying a PC at the moment to wait a  couple of months for Nvidia, at worst Ati will lower prices, at best Nvidia will release something really good and you can get much better cards at the same prices.
    macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By macandcheese
    @j_drace said:

Dont know if it matters to you but the Core i5 runs pretty much the same as the i7 and is a lot cheaper you may want to check it out
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By j_drace
    @macandcheese: @macandcheese said:
    " @j_drace said:

Dont know if it matters to you but the Core i5 runs pretty much the same as the i7 and is a lot cheaper you may want to check it out "
    Yeah, I looked at the i5, but everyone is recommending the i7 and it seems more future proof.
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

You still need to pick a Heat Sink.  A word of advice, some of the heat sinks meant for the chipset that i7s belong to have two layers of protective film on the bottom.  A friend and I both made the mistake of only removing one layer for both of our computers and had the processors running at temperatures much higher than acceptable.  We didn't end up doing damage to them (I'd assume credit is due to Intel for that), but i7s should idle around 30C (in an average circulation case with a good heat sink) and and hit around 60C when running at full load.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By j_drace
    @Fish_Face_McGee: I found one, but I just didn't post it.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By korwin

You don't need a heat sink unless your over clocking, the stock cooler will be just fine if your running the chip at stock speeds.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geno
    @Korwin said:
    " You don't need a heat sink unless your over clocking, the stock cooler will be just fine if your running the chip at stock speeds. "
    This; and even if you do overclock you're going to need at least a water cooling unit. 
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jiggah
    @Geno said:
    " @Korwin said:
    " You don't need a heat sink unless your over clocking, the stock cooler will be just fine if your running the chip at stock speeds. "
    This; and even if you do overclock you're going to need at least a water cooling unit.  "
    No, you don't.

There are a number of air coolers that can perform on par with watercooling i.e. the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra Extreme) or the Xigamatek Dark Knight.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno
    @Jiggah said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @Korwin said:
    This; and even if you do overclock you're going to need at least a water cooling unit.  "
    No, you don't.  There are a number of air coolers that can perform on par with watercooling i.e. the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra Extreme) or the Xigamatek Dark Knight. "
    Air can handle minor overclocking; 3.6ghz or above requires watercooling.
    Collin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Collin

2 Video Cards seems like over kill to me, but it is a gaming PC...

If you spend less on the video card(s), you won't a have such a hard time upgrading to a new video card in 18 months....

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By j_drace
    @Collin: I don't mind upgrading the video cards every year or so.  I think I will go with water cooling.  I am a bit hesitant since I've never had a water cooled system and I've never had any experience with it.
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jiggah
    @Geno: 

People have been able to push the i7 920 on air to 4 ghz.  Again, it really depends on the heatsink, but it's completely doable and cheaper than liquid cooling.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By korwin

Water is really only for the most hard core, I run my 920 at 4.02 so I use water.  If your dead set on after market cooling for whatever reason i would recommend the Cogage True Spirit, 95% the performance of a Thermalright True but it costs a good chunk less.

Collin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Collin

@j_drace from everything I've heard, technically water cooling should work fine - if built by someone competent. 

That said, I wouldn't have it my system.  I'll put up with the fan noise, and stay dry.

Tom's Hardware talks about stuff like water cooling, i think.
     http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Geno
    @Jiggah said:

" @Geno:   People have been able to push the i7 920 on air to 4 ghz.  Again, it really depends on the heatsink, but it's completely doable and cheaper than liquid cooling. "  

Liquid cooling is the same price as air cooling, and it's much easier to overclock with. Liquid at 4ghz would be far more stable than air at 4ghz. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Liquid cooling is only reasonably similar in price to Air HSFs when you look at something the Corsair H50 and that's only comparable in price to some of the more expensive air HSFs.  It's a convenient solution because you don't have to by a radiator, fan, pump and piping separately, but it doesn't compare with proper waterblock kits, for one you can't also cool your GPU(s) with the H50 and it's about equal in comparison with similarly priced air cooling solutions.

Something like a Hyper TX3 is a nice cheap air cooler for those who only want a marginal overclock or who live in cooler ambient conditions and can easily push their CPUs harder.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By monkeyroach

Looks fine if you want to spend that much, but for the love of god dont buy a Creative X-Fi Titanium.The drivers are so bad.If you really need a soundcard get the forte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156010&Tpk=forte

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.