Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Gaming Laptop's

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

Now granted laptop's aren't the prime choice when it comes to PC gaming but i would like some recommendations on some good gaming Laptop's. I'm not striving for crysis perfection but would like to play,

Empire Total War, Civ 4, Warhammer Dawn of War 2, Team Fortress just to name a few

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Everyone is going to tell you to get a desktop

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Drizzle

*Bump* Anyone?

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NukeSpoon

You can plug mice into laptops y'know.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NukeSpoon

Not necessarily. I don't even game much on this laptop and I use a mouse all the time, mostly because using a touchpad is an utter pain in the arse.

notdrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By notdrew
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Drizzle

Well in all seriousness how much would it cost to build a decent gaming desktop?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Macbook Pro 13".

/thread

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I know what you mean by wanting a gaming laptop. That way you can sit somewhere comfortable, like in bed, on a couch, you can take it if you're going somewhere. I got mine 2 years ago from a company called Asus - an extremely high-respected company in the computer world. They actually make motherboards for most desktop computers that you see today, so even that there says something. Anyway, they have a series of laptops called G1's, and man they're good. I'm not sure what their best model is right now, but when I got mine two years ago (which was only half as good as their best gaming laptop), the G1 was one of the greatest laptops. The reason why many people don't own Asus is because they aren't mass produced and sold in stores like most others... you have to call them and order it, or get it from an online store. If you really want a gaming laptop, I highly advise looking into the higher-end Asus gaming laptops. This one i'm using now is 2 years old and I can run Prototype on it. I know that's not saying much (Prototype's graphics aren't the best) but the fact that a 2 year old laptop can run a new current gen console/pc game has to say something.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Drizzle

Well i looked at the ASUS website, which one is the most powerful gaming one they have?

Echoes221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Echoes221

It depends on the price perameters. Generally, Anything without an integrated graphics card will play  the games mentioned above (hell, even my Dell inspiron with an X3100 integrated will playe TF2 and DMC4!) It all depends on prices as you get more bang for your buck. Most people will tell you to go for alienware for the high end stuff but I would get something from rock direct if it's that high end (Alien ware is equally awesome and more flashy but generally £1000+). Otherwise, something like a dell XPS laptop or studio (Make sure it has dedicated graphics) XPS are usaully £700+ and Studios £500+. Price determines the power in the world of PC gaming. 
    Also, You must remeber, that processors etc will be less powerful in laptops and they have only started putting in Quadcore's into recent laptops (really high end) let alone core i7.
    Everyone will tell you to go for a desktop if your thinking of gaming constantly/main function, but if it's just for a few on the side, pick your options from above :)

Ultimately, for the same price you could build an awesome desktop that would knock all laptops on their feet for around £700 so it all depends on the price and what you need it for whether gaming or just a bit on the side along with the regular functions.

@KaosAngel

said:

" Macbook Pro 13".  /thread "

You are joking right? Aside from battery power and general aesthetics and speed(loading wise) , they are extortionately priced, underpowered (for what you could get and lets be honest, they are more for media professionals and not for gaming) and only run on a ati 9400m when you can get much better for around the same price + games for macs cost more as they are in less demand (and compatibilty issues to boot) if you are going to game, go windows.
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Drizzle

I really appreciate your advice man, your the first person that actually gave me some useful info. Now based on your suggestion i have now turned my interest on actually building a Gaming Desktop since it should only cost $700 like you said but i haven't a clue where to start

Echoes221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Echoes221
    @The_Drizzle said:

" I really appreciate your advice man, your the first person that actually gave me some useful info. Now based on your suggestion i have now turned my interest on actually building a Gaming Desktop since it should only cost $700 like you said but i haven't a clue where to start "

Well, Building a desktop yourself will always grant you more power as it will be cheaper to build. But I would also Highly recoment this Scan 3XS system if you don't want to build (
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=97 ) GTX260 4GB memory and an OVERCLOCKED intel core 2 to 3.7GHZ which is nicely done, it also has a gold award from Custom PC (I read the article personally) and it seems like a nice build on the inside as well, components are all decent, and the whole thing is pretty much upgradable (you can upgrade the processor yourself in the future to quad core, but not to i7 as i7's take a 1366 slots whereas core 2 and quad both rely on socket 775 motheboards)  but Graphics card is uprgadeable too. 

If your building I would also recomend looking into scan and ebuyer (two comonent websites) as well as looking at youtube videos etc (PM me for some pointers, i'm good at building systems, done it for a few mates, no complaints yet) it's not difficult and will yield better results as you can buy  much better componets for the price say..an GTX275 or possibly depending on the case and other components (and if you want to spend a little more money) get an ATI 4870x2 which can play crysis on high to entusiatic depending on RAM and Processing power, but thats getting into the nuts high end gaming PC's.

My bet would be to go for the ave 3XS system or browse around particularly scan, ebuyer and yo yo tech if you have never had any experience in the field. But equally, it's very easy to build a PC (practice on an old PC maybe?) and more power will be available. Have a look on youtube at the stuff TJharlow does, even though it's very advanced he does show you how to build, and there are loads of tutorials on youtube itself.

PS. I'm working on english £ and English websites, so I don't know the equivalent websites or the price conversions :S Still work out much cheaper than a laptop though for the same power :)
    Nakirendral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nakirendral

I bought a Dell XPS M1710 about 2 years ago now. The gaming on it was great but then one day the Motherboard fried from overuse in unventilated conditions. Luckily I bought it with a 4 year warranty and they replaced it no prob for an updated model M1730, which is more sleeker and sexier. I can play all of my games on high setting (Fallout 3 mostly), but the problem you need to recognize when gaming on a Lappy is the incredible heat they produce when in full chugging o' energy mode. For the most part I can game on High settings in Fallout 3 or WoW (until I quit just recently) for about 3 hours, after which the performance will dip down considerably, and will become unplayable unless you turn the settings down. I have noticed considerable improvement since I switched from 32-bit XP and Vista to my 64-bit Windows 7 RC, BUT the overheating will always be a problem since there is so much heat production in such a small space.  

The idea of being mobile in my gaming and Programming assignments is great, but in hindsight, were I to have chosen again I would have definitely bought a small lappy for programming/classes and then kept my gaming exclusive to a Custom System with high-end ventilation solutions. If you are absolutely dead-set on leanring from your own experience, the Dell XPS M1730 is a great Lappy for gaming, and with a Military discount it cost me about 2k for a 3.5K system. But, if you have no access to such discounts or simply want it for gaming primarily, I would highly suggest you build your own Desktop via the YouTube instructional Vids and check Newegg.com and BensBargains.com for great deals. 

I am still quite content with my Lappy and seeing as how it is my only real computer in my place since my 5 year old desky has been turned into a media player in my rec room. I am not an avid Computer game player anymore, though. If you are on the bleeding-edge of technology, and dont just use it for Sam and Max type Adventure games on the fly, then definitely go a different route. Haha, essentially I am regurgitating all of Echoes221's advice, but the man certainly has all valid points. 

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By angelkanarias
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Drizzle

Well looks like after much consideration i'm gonna have to just opt for a gaming laptop, i appreciate everyone's advice even though im going against it by getting a lappy. Now my question to everyone is, is alienware customer service really that bad and can i get the same laptop specs they offer for a much cheaper price on a different brand?

Echoes221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Echoes221
    @The_Drizzle said:
    " Well looks like after much consideration i'm gonna have to just opt for a gaming laptop, i appreciate everyone's advice even though im going against it by getting a lappy. Now my question to everyone is, is alienware customer service really that bad and can i get the same laptop specs they offer for a much cheaper price on a different brand? "
    Customer service is fine, just deal with it all through dell as dell bought them recently
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Drizzle

Would the mX-17 be worth spending the extra money on or could i still upgrade some parts on the mx-15 and still spend less than 1,700

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Again, I quote some anonymous poster on this forum when I say:

Good. Gaming. Laptop.

Choose two.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By j0rdan
    @RiotBananas said:
    " I know yes, but then it kind of detracts from the portability. "
    a mouse detracts from the portability. what,  how big a is your mouse, 3 foot?

And the guy who keeps doing the "Good, Gaming, Laptop" thing is dumb.

My laptop is very good for games, weather or not you can game on laptops is not the question, its weather or not you can afford the luxury.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Player1

If you don't mind, post back here and tell me how it goes. I'm looking to get a laptop for college next year, and I'd like to play games on it. 

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Drizzle

Could someone with actual advice please answer my question as stated above, and no problem Player1 i will let you know how it goes

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By j0rdan

Anything from Alienware will run each and every one of the games you mention fine, and should play most if not all things to an acceptable degree for some time.

But in the end it all depends on what you have to spend.

HP have some good high end laptops, but again they are just as expensive as Alienware.

Most other vendors will have something to suit your needs, but will always be the top model in each range.

The 2 most important thing you need to look for (in my opinion of course) are the CPU and the Graphics chip.

Make sure the CPU is a top end one, ie core 2 duo rather than centrino or celeron, and the GPU needs to be a proper player too, if it has intel stay away, if its from either AMD(ATi) or nVidia, make sure its not one of their budget smaller chips, make sure its the fully flegde one that means business.

Other than that I dont think your gonne get anyone givin you anything better, seen as there are so many different laptop vendors and models, no one is gonna go away and research them all for you, youre gonna have to do it yourself, but at least you now may have a better idea of the things to look for when you do.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Drizzle

Thank you, i wasn't trying to be pushy or be lazy its just i plan to purchase the laptop in the next couple of weeks and am trying to gather as much info as i can as well as researching laptops on my own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.