Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Graphic card: £150-£200

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McPaper

edit - Topic redundant: purchased a 5850 ;)

What is the most potent and reliable graphic card I can get between the price range of £150-£200.

I realise there probably isnt 'the best' card within that specification. However, ive been out of the loop on hardware recently and I am purchasing new computer parts. I had my eyes on the Geforce GTX260.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CornontheCobbe

GTX260 is great, but maybe the GTX 275 would be better. I'm not too sure the price, but if you buy on the net you could find one cheap enough!

mobellini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By mobellini

overclockers.co.uk really nice prices and their delivery is sublime. 

Nvidia GTX 275 or Radeon HD 5770 are the best choices for your price range.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McPaper
    @Mikesan: Ok I am a bit confused.

I understand that the GTX275 and HD 5770 is more potent than the GTX260.

However, on Overclockers there is quite a great price difference between the two cards.

275 averages at about £190 whilst the 5770 averages to around £140
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

ATI 4890 is great as well. Faster than the GTX260 and HD 5770 and sometimes even the GTX275. I'd say the 4890 is the best bang for the buck but if you're willing to spend a few extra bones then I'd go for the GTX275.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno
    @McPaper:
    The 5850 has about 10-20% performance over the GTX285, and with DX11 and eyefinity as well. It will play most games at max settings. The 5770 is about 70 euro less at ~130 euro, but at the same time it performs about 1/3 less than the 5850 at 200 euro, meaning several games will not run on max settings. They're pretty much equal in value for money, but if the upper end of your budget is 200 euro I would go for the 5850. You can also crossfire it later and get performance equal to the 5970, currently the fastest graphics card in the world. 
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McPaper
    @Geno: 
    The 5850 crossfired seems very poweful. I understand the 5970 is the best card on the market now. I take it this is good insurance for the future.

I've never had CF or SLI before so I am not sure what sort of PSU I need?

Alternatively, if the upkeep cost of a PSU and a non bottle necking CPU is high should I just tone down the card to two 4890s?
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Crossfire and SLI don't really give the massive performance boosts you'd think they'd give.  2x 5850 won't run twice as fast as a 5850.  Your usually better off just paying more for a single card, I don't know the answer to your PSU question sorry. 

Give the 5850 a look, I just put one in my new PC and it runs anything perfectly.  I bought it for about £170 but I think I got lucky on a deal somewhere.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McPaper

Ok well now im stumped on either the GTX275 or the HD4890 - from what I found they seem to peform almost equally. I guess ill let price be a factor.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jmrwacko
    @McPaper said:
    " @Mikesan: Ok I am a bit confused.

I understand that the GTX275 and HD 5770 is more potent than the GTX260.

However, on Overclockers there is quite a great price difference between the two cards.

275 averages at about £190 whilst the 5770 averages to around £140 "
    From what I've heard, the 275 benchmarks about 20% higher than the 5770, and supports better physics rendering. The downside is that it isn't compatible with directx11. As an ATI fanboy, I'd say get the 5770. Or spend a little more and get a 5800 series card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.