Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Great M+KB alternative for all you Living Room PC Duders.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hwy_61
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

What's with all the lines over the trackpad? Do they light up?

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By superfriend

I don´t know about the touchpad on the right. Well and good for browsing the web with your living room PC.. but for playing games? Nah. I´d rather screw an oversized solid mousepad to the right side of a wireless keyboard :P

BTW: A real livingroom PC for games/non work only seems like a super cool idea. I just recently found out that Windows 8 has no native controller support, so I guess I can´t go that route, but I still want that PC next to my TV!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Branthog

@Superfriend said:

I don´t know about the touchpad on the right. Well and good for browsing the web with your living room PC.. but for playing games? Nah. I´d rather screw an oversized solid mousepad to the right side of a wireless keyboard :P

BTW: A real livingroom PC for games/non work only seems like a super cool idea. I just recently found out that Windows 8 has no native controller support, so I guess I can´t go that route, but I still want that PC next to my TV!

The problem is this precludes you using your PC for anything else. :/

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hwy_61
    @Ravenlight That would be awesome, but, no.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jams

@Ravenlight said:

What's with all the lines over the trackpad? Do they light up?

Eddie Van Halen designed it

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By obcdexter

I have that thing, never use it though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

That looks like a handy solution if you need to browse the web, change options, etc., but it doesn't seem any good for actual gaming. You might be able to play Dragon Age Origins on it if you pause all the time, albeit it would be clunky, or maybe X-Com. But something like a shooter or anything that needs quick precision? No.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bell_End

i use an apple wireless keyboard, the aluminum one. its very small and light weight and a logitect mouse.

and i have one of those trays with a cushion on oneside. works great.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hwy_61

I should've been clearer. When I say Living Room Duders, I mean those that are using a game pad.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By djou

I bought and use one of these after Ryan talked about his HTPC build. Its an okay device but feels really cheap. The keys are too mushy and the key caps feel flimsy. I constantly mistap the touchpad, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that they allow the touch pad to register taps and include two buttons underneath. There is also no way to configure the touchpad sensitivity and the scrolling is not fast. I had to buy a wireless mouse to supplement since I found it impossible to do long stretches of web browser on the K400. This is a unique item and good for the price but for people who are thinking about buying it, see if you can live with a regular keyboard and mouse first.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hwy_61
    @djou You can disable the tap gestures by holding fn and hitting left click.
    djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By djou

@hwy_61: Ah, thanks this is very helpful. I'll do it tonight. I wish this were a bit more clear and I didn't need someone on a forum to tell me this.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OfficeGamer

I honestly don't get why this is so complicated. You don't need that keyboard, you can simply lay your gaming keyboard (which are usually light) on your thighs and have your mouse on a small smooth wooden pad next to you.

A touch pad can't replace the joy of holding a fat mouse :)

Why is this so hard to do? K on legs, M on small pad. Been doing it for years.
    hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hwy_61
    @djou Yeah, all the disable options are on the get started fold out that comes with it. You should be able to find it on Logitech's support page if you threw it out.
    inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By inkerman

@OfficeGamer: Your setup is particularly close, so the wires reach, for most people that would be a problem. But you know, wireless would totally work, I don't get the issue, but then again, I don't game in front of my tv.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By oraknabo

I'd rather have one with a trackball than a pad.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OfficeGamer

@Inkerman said:

@OfficeGamer: Your setup is particularly close, so the wires reach, for most people that would be a problem. But you know, wireless would totally work, I don't get the issue, but then again, I don't game in front of my tv.

Actually I do this in the living room a lot. All you need is 2-4 USB extension cords based on how far you are. USB cords are pretty easy and quick to handle, connect and disconnect.

Or as you said you can go wireless if that's your thing. Personally I think wireless is a hassle because of the charging/batteries as well as their notoriety when it comes to lag. But different strokes!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By JoeyRavn

@hwy_61 said:

I should've been clearer. When I say Living Room Duders, I mean those that are using a game pad.

But do you use it as a replacement for your gamepad? Or as the keyboard you could need from time to time to navigate the computer? Because I would never forsake a gamepad to play a game with that keyboard and, especially, a trackpad.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superfriend

@Branthog said:

@Superfriend said:

The problem is this precludes you using your PC for anything else. :/

Well, in my case it´s more like a second PC that I assembled from all the older parts that got thrown out while upgrading. Still a pretty decent machine, a core 2 with a gtx 460. But yeah, I have to say I wouldn´t want to hook up the only PC in the house exclusively to the TV.

And I love the idea of ruining a keyboard by attaching a solid surface to it. Gotta love destroying things home improvement style.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

Someone needs to make a good wireless mechanical keyboard with a trackpad.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hwy_61
    @JoeyRavn The second one.
    saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By saethir

I use this same keyboard with a living room PC that I built specifically for media streaming and playing games with a game pad, and I think it suits this use almost perfectly. It's just simpler than having a regular mouse and keyboard hanging around in there, and since the mouse is only used for launching things 90% of the time, it's fine. I could see if it was your only PC you would want a regular setup, but then hooking up your main PC to your living room TV isn't exactly a regular setup anyway.

It's a very niche use, to be sure, but I think it works well for what it's meant for.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hwy_61
    @Saethir

I use this same keyboard with a living room PC that I built specifically for media streaming and playing games with a game pad, and I think it suits this use almost perfectly. It's just simpler than having a regular mouse and keyboard hanging around in there, and since the mouse is only used for launching things 90% of the time, it's fine. I could see if it was your only PC you would want a regular setup, but then hooking up your main PC to your living room TV isn't exactly a regular setup anyway.

It's a very niche use, to be sure, but I think it works well for what it's meant for.

This guy gets it.
    Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lysergica33

@OfficeGamer said:

I honestly don't get why this is so complicated. You don't need that keyboard, you can simply lay your gaming keyboard (which are usually light) on your thighs and have your mouse on a small smooth wooden pad next to you.

A touch pad can't replace the joy of holding a fat mouse :)

The problem with this though, is that it's bad for prolonged sessions. The way you have to kind of slump down to get your arm at a comfortable angle to the mouse when you're sat like that does your back and neck no good at all. I ended up with all kinds of fucked up knots in my neck from doing this so, be careful man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.