Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My problem with PC gaming

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Edited By meptron

I've recently taken a trip to China for the summer and left my PS3 back in Canada. I'll be here for four months, so I decided to try out some PC games to play during this time.  Hence, I downloaded steam and bought some games, borderlands, trine, torchlight and portal (free). It's been awhile since I've played PC games (not since the heyday of Starcraft and Age of Empires). So far, Torchlight is great, portal is fun, and the general steam experience and acheievements have been positive.

But ultimately a series of other issues have arisen which remind me why I abbandoned PC gaming years ago...

Borderlands was great for a little while. I got up to a 10th lvl character and was enjoying the game. But there have been a number of technical problems. First my gamepad doesn't work properly with the game (which is ok, since I can just use mouse and keyboard). Second, and more servere, is that a strange crashing bug has appeared out of nowhere. Didn't bother me untill after about 6 hours of gameplay or so, and now I can't load a character without crashing the game with a "general protection fault error". My laptop meets the specs for this game just fine, and it ran well at first, so that is not the issue. I have discovered that this is a very common problem with a 71 page thread on the gearbox forums full of people complaining of it. Of course since Borderlands is a console-first game the PC market and the technical issues of a minority are not enough to warrant development resources and so the problem remains unaddressed. I have spent hours troubleshooting this problem and have given up. Which sucks, because I paid for this game and now I cannot play it!!! The lesson here: don't buy console games on the PC! Unreliable.

Trine seems like it might be a fun game. Ever tried playing a platformer with a mouse and keyboard? I would rather use my gamepad, thank you very much. Problem is, the right thunmbstick doesn't work properly in this game. I downloaded new logitech drivers and software to try and fix the problem, but the software won't run because my computer claims I don't have permission to do so. After several more hours of fiddling with ownerships, permissions, and administrator settings, I've once again given up. Not sure if I'll try playing Trine with the mouse and keyboard or not... not terribly attractive. The lesson here:  even when the game works, windows or peripheral devices can start to give you trouble. Unpredictable.

So, the end result, out of the three games I purchased, only one (Torchlight) actually works. I've have spent more time this week troubleshooting all these problems than actual gaming!!! This is the great burden of PC gaming. You can buy stuff and even start to play stuff,  but you never know when a problem will come up that ruins your gaming time. And so often, the response of PC  gamers is that I should just buy a whole new rig. No. That is not an option and my laptop is first and formost for school and I am not willing to upgrade it specifically for playing games. When I get back from my trip, the PS3 comes out, and I really don't know if I'll bother much with PC games in the future. It seems the only ones worth considering are games built specifically for the PC (ex. Starcraft 2, Torchlight), where the developers resources are actually devoted to making sure the game runs properly! 

Given all this, I guess it's not particularly suprisingly that so few developers can manage success with PC games, and also not surprising the the relatively care free console environment is so much more attractive to modern gamers...

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By meptron

I've recently taken a trip to China for the summer and left my PS3 back in Canada. I'll be here for four months, so I decided to try out some PC games to play during this time.  Hence, I downloaded steam and bought some games, borderlands, trine, torchlight and portal (free). It's been awhile since I've played PC games (not since the heyday of Starcraft and Age of Empires). So far, Torchlight is great, portal is fun, and the general steam experience and acheievements have been positive.

But ultimately a series of other issues have arisen which remind me why I abbandoned PC gaming years ago...

Borderlands was great for a little while. I got up to a 10th lvl character and was enjoying the game. But there have been a number of technical problems. First my gamepad doesn't work properly with the game (which is ok, since I can just use mouse and keyboard). Second, and more servere, is that a strange crashing bug has appeared out of nowhere. Didn't bother me untill after about 6 hours of gameplay or so, and now I can't load a character without crashing the game with a "general protection fault error". My laptop meets the specs for this game just fine, and it ran well at first, so that is not the issue. I have discovered that this is a very common problem with a 71 page thread on the gearbox forums full of people complaining of it. Of course since Borderlands is a console-first game the PC market and the technical issues of a minority are not enough to warrant development resources and so the problem remains unaddressed. I have spent hours troubleshooting this problem and have given up. Which sucks, because I paid for this game and now I cannot play it!!! The lesson here: don't buy console games on the PC! Unreliable.

Trine seems like it might be a fun game. Ever tried playing a platformer with a mouse and keyboard? I would rather use my gamepad, thank you very much. Problem is, the right thunmbstick doesn't work properly in this game. I downloaded new logitech drivers and software to try and fix the problem, but the software won't run because my computer claims I don't have permission to do so. After several more hours of fiddling with ownerships, permissions, and administrator settings, I've once again given up. Not sure if I'll try playing Trine with the mouse and keyboard or not... not terribly attractive. The lesson here:  even when the game works, windows or peripheral devices can start to give you trouble. Unpredictable.

So, the end result, out of the three games I purchased, only one (Torchlight) actually works. I've have spent more time this week troubleshooting all these problems than actual gaming!!! This is the great burden of PC gaming. You can buy stuff and even start to play stuff,  but you never know when a problem will come up that ruins your gaming time. And so often, the response of PC  gamers is that I should just buy a whole new rig. No. That is not an option and my laptop is first and formost for school and I am not willing to upgrade it specifically for playing games. When I get back from my trip, the PS3 comes out, and I really don't know if I'll bother much with PC games in the future. It seems the only ones worth considering are games built specifically for the PC (ex. Starcraft 2, Torchlight), where the developers resources are actually devoted to making sure the game runs properly! 

Given all this, I guess it's not particularly suprisingly that so few developers can manage success with PC games, and also not surprising the the relatively care free console environment is so much more attractive to modern gamers...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Sounds like you purchased an off brand game pad that doesn't work with anything and you're blaming all PC games.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By armaan8014
    @ryanwho said:
    " Sounds like you purchased an off brand game pad that doesn't work with anything and you're blaming all PC games. "
    yes. I always play with my mouse+keyboard, and the controls always seem to work well. Even for a game like Assassin's Creed
    sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sdauz

ppl seem to love these topics...i say who cares pl play games u like, dont play games u dont like on systems that make sense. RTS works best on PCs, MODs and community gaming works best on PCs (right now im playing a company of heroes community mod called operation market garden), some shooters work better on PCs (I'VE always PREFERED cod games on pc, whatever), dont bitch about pc gaming. These threads r very similar to ppl who complain about halo. Ppl who want to make a noise, make it, everyone who doesnt plays what they wanna play whatever, no one cares...ppl buy pc games and buy pcs who cares?! guess what halo works best on a gamepad (i love halo), it sucks on a pc (HALO CE), so does GTAIV, who cares, not me

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

It's a legitimate complaint. PC is an open platform with a lot of variables, the price you pay for the freedom the platform offers. It's a negative side effect and not an outright flaw which developers refuse to address. I game on pretty much everything, but when it comes to PCs I see putting up with (seemingly less frequent than your experience) problems with crashing and such, as sacrifice I put up with for having whatever hardware I can afford, configuring my PC how I like. Even the fact that I can use a variety of different controllers on the PC is liberating. These issues dont arise on a console because they dont allow it. A closed system is much easier to maintain. That's why the casual market is much happier with the plug and play nature of consoles.

Games will always be superior on PC because of the hardware but the experience of the end user relies on more than that and some people like yourself might not be prepared to deal with the extra baggage. I know I am though.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meptron
    @ryanwho said:
    " Sounds like you purchased an off brand game pad that doesn't work with anything and you're blaming all PC games. "
    Like I said in my post, it is a logitech. I don't believe they are considered off-brand. That also does not fix the largest issue of borderlands not working for me, and 71 pages of other gamers on the gearbox forums.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Why not just wait another week or two and try to use the keyboard and mouse until your aim gets a bit better. You don't get skills like that overnight. I mean I had to use the dual shock 3 for a year before I could finally aim on the ps3 for fps games.  

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meptron
    @AlisterCat: Thanks for the intelligent reply. I agree that there is definetely a trade-off, and when PC games work it's certainly nice to to have the flexibiltiy the platform offers. I would probably feel different if I hadn't spent so much time troubleshooting recently (it is a little infuriating). I think that a PC-focused game that doesn't have major bugs can be great, Starcraft 2 should be solid since Blizzard has a good track record of making products that run well on a variety of systems.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Meptron said:

" @ryanwho said:

Like I said in my post, it is a logitech. I don't believe they are considered off-brand. That also does not fix the largest issue of borderlands not working for me, and 71 pages of other gamers on the gearbox forums. "
    Is it really THAT hard to Google " Logitech Gamepad Assassin's Creed 2"?  Don't blame PC gaming, blame your inherent laziness.  Boredomlands runs fine for me and other people though of course there will be issues, it's a huge market with many different configurations and I'll bet the vast majority of issues with almost every game usually come down to user error or inexperience.

This did not need a blog.  Learn to google and shut the fuck up.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz
    @ryanwho said:
    this

get an xbox 360 gamepad, works fine with vista and windows 7 for almost all new games that support joysticks.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meptron
    @SeriouslyNow: Assassin's Creed 2? What are you even talking about? I spent hours troubleshooting these problems and like I said, they are hardly restricted to the gamepad (which I am willing to do without). It's easy for you to use non-specific and unsupported statements like "the vast majority", but the fact is that there is a stickied thread on gearbox's own forums with 71 pages of users complaining about this issue. Sounds like the majority isn't so "vast"? 

Learn to think before you post.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meptron
    @HitmanAgent47: For sure, a little practice with the mouse and keyboard wouldn't hurt. I will certainly try if I can get Borderlands working again.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monetarydread

I had issues with Borderlands as well. Not that same one though, it was running great and then it started to slow down after about 10 minutes or so. I was lucky enough that a re-install of the game and patches worked.  Now maybe I am just lucky that that is probably the only problem I have seen in PC gaming lately, but it doesn't mean it can't happen.
    As far as upgrading, you are in China. You may be broke, but it doesn't cost much to live, and PC parts are at least half off there. Sure, you won't be able to read the instruction manual for your mainboard, but you can always find that information out online.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meptron
    @MonetaryDread: Haha, good point. Although, there's always a risk you'll get faulty or fake products here and the real deal is often just as expensive as back home. I might look into it.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Binman88
    @Meptron said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    Like I said in my post, it is a logitech. I don't believe they are considered off-brand. That also does not fix the largest issue of borderlands not working for me, and 71 pages of other gamers on the gearbox forums. "
    If you're going to use a gamepad on a PC these days, anything other than a 360 controller would be considered "off-brand". It's unfortunate, but at least you know your controller is going to work with most games using it.

Shame you encountered a problem with Borderlands. I encountered no such problems on my computer, nor have I encountered any errors with the other 50 or so games (a lot of which have console counterparts) that I've played on my current PC. The solution isn't to stop buying console ports on the PC. It's a bit hyperbolic to think they're all problematic. Anyway, there's almost always a simple workaround in the unlikely event of a game breaking issue.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Jimbo

I don't know what response you were looking for.  If you can only get PC games to work 33% of the time, then stick to a console.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen

it's unfortunate that you've come across bugs, but why are you trying to play a pc fps with a controller? it's like if i were to try drinking water using chopsticks.

also: google is your friend. i'm sure there is a fix out there somewhere. it is the internet, after all.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread
    @Meptron said:
    " @MonetaryDread: Haha, good point. Although, there's always a risk you'll get faulty or fake products here and the real deal is often just as expensive as back home. I might look into it. "
    Yeah, true enough. It sucks that you had a bad experience with PC gaming. It's my main gaming platform and I have grown to love the eccentricities of the platform.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By meptron
    @Toms115: "like drinking water with chopsticks". Haha! I love that analogy! Well, it may be true that I shouldn't have bothered with that. Truth be told, if the gamepad was my only problem I wouldn't have had such a bad experience. I actually used to play FPS's with mouse and keyboard back in the day. In fact, my first FPS was wolfenstein 3D when I was a kid. I also enjoyed Jedi Knight, Dark Forces and others with the mouse and keyboard. The only reason I tried a gamepad with Borderlands is because I've grown accostomed to console controllers and since I knew the 360 was lead platform, I thought it might be a better experience. But regardless, if the game worked I would love to play it with any control method. 

As for the google thing. I have spent a lot of time looking for solutions. There have been a few ideas thrown around with how to fix the general protection fault. Ultimately none of them worked for me. I'm kind of tired of trying, so I think I might just wait. Maybe there's a chance Gearbox will release a patch?
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JP_Russell

General protection faults are frequent Unreal Engine errors.  As I understand it, Epic has managed to have such errors in every Unreal Engine they've made, and UE3 is no exception.  Mass Effect seems to have the worst of it - tons of people (including me) are unable to play that game properly because of the general protection faults.  I never came across any in Borderlands, but it is a UE3 game, so no surprise some unfortunate individuals are going to experience the problem there, too.  Wish I could help, but GPF's are really a shitty problem to run into, and I've been unable to get around my own run-ins with them.  The fixes out there have spotty success rates at best, and no developers really seem willing to do something about it when it turns up.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meptron
    @JP_Russell: ouch! That doesn't sound encouraging.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Geno

Most people that have a problem with PC gaming seem to also have problems with computers in general. Probably not a coincidence. While PC gaming does have its troublesome issues, and also a few shoddy console ports here and there, 99% of the time it's nothing that a driver update or patch can't fix. To sum up, 

- as people above have said, Xbox 360 controller is compatible with almost everything since 5 years ago (you can use wireless as well), and basically the same price as an off-brand controller 
    - meeting minimum or even recommended hardware specs does not mean you can play a game adequately, especially on a laptop which is known for compatibility issues. Developers lowball these on purpose so more people will buy their games. Typically double or triple recommended specs is actually "recommended". 

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

Sorry to hear about your woe's Meptron.  There's a big learning curve associated with PC gaming that's found in console gaming.  Its the nature of the beast.  The fact that the PC is such an open platform makes it more challenging for developers to account for all of the different hardware and software combination their game could be running on.  I've spent many hours myself trying to work out frustrating problems, so I feel you on that.  My PC is still my most favorite gaming platform though.  If I had to choose to only keep my PC, 360 or PS3 I'd definitely stick with the PC.

If you ever feel like messing with stuff again to try and get stuff up and running here are a few tips:

Graphics Drivers: Always always always keep your graphics card drivers up to date.  If you have an nVidia card they release new drivers quite often.  A lot of times when I have wierd crashes, I head over to nvidia's website and new drivers that I hadn't installed seem to help

Controller: I use a third party wired XBOX 360 controller.  They are fairly cheap and work instantly soon as you plug it in (its USB).  Its pretty much worked with every game I've tried it on, so give one of those a try if you want.

Good luck!

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

First you make a a post complaining about something when you just started a week ago, and then you proceed to bitch that CONSOLE DEVS are lazy, and that your controller isn't supported by 3 different console ports.  Why don't you get a console controller that will work via usb, or play a PC game and not a port.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azrail

noooooooooob

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.