Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My wife said I can build a new PC!

• 74 results
    MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Next time I build a PC I'll probably pick parts off the GAF thread.

Bez__o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8bit_archer: Sorry everyone's being a dick man. Really psyched for you though, gaming on that beast is going to be awesome!

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By Krockett

Yeah I kinda wanted to jump in here, and say sorry I focused more on the Negative comments than the positive helpful ones. I try to not let people get to me and just laugh them off, but for some reason I got dragged into a much larger debate. I understand the title and our situation is weird to some people, but I love my wife and unlike most people I am truly happy in my marriage.

So to get back to the point thanks to everyone who posted helpful links and I will be sure to post a picture once I get it build. It probably want be completed til around this time next month(Christmas is about the kids, and I would like to focus on them.) I'm super excited and I cant wait to get rolling with it.

What are some "avoid doing this" mistakes I should know of?

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By tsutohiro
    @8bit_archer said:

@troispoint said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Sorry your wife owns you.

Exactly what I thought lmao

@jimbo said:

I'd set your sights a little lower - you aren't gonna have a lot of change left after you go buy a spine.

:P Me and my wife have a 50/50 thing going on here, we both compromise a lot. We both discuss any purchase with each other first. Its part of being in a healthy Growing relationship. She is a awesome woman and to be honest if I were to be "OWNED" by anyone I would rather it be her, she is a very compisinate woman who allows me to be me(a nerd). So laugh it up, Ill laugh with you...my wife owns me :D

This is what it looks like when an adult responds to children on the internet =)

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By avantegardener

Yeah I kinda wanted to jump in here, and say sorry I focused more on the Negative comments than the positive helpful ones. I try to not let people get to me and just laugh them off, but for some reason I got dragged into a much larger debate. I understand the title and our situation is weird to some people, but I love my wife and unlike most people I am truly happy in my marriage.

So to get back to the point thanks to everyone who posted helpful links and I will be sure to post a picture once I get it build. It probably want be completed til around this time next month(Christmas is about the kids, and I would like to focus on them.) I'm super excited and I cant wait to get rolling with it.

What are some "avoid doing this" mistakes I should know of?

Props to you man, for rising above the bullshit. Good luck with the PC, and have a great Christmas.

dudeington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dudeington

I just worked this up on pcpartpicker.com:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nelf

**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54570s) | $199.99 @ Newegg

**Motherboard** | [ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme4) | $109.99 @ Microcenter

**Memory** | [G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbsr) | $79.99 @ Newegg

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm001) | $84.48 @ OutletPC

**Video Card** | [Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9280xdc2t3gd5) | $319.99 @ B&H

**Case** | [Apex SK-393-C ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/apex-case-sk393c) | $24.99 @ NCIX US

**Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600) | $49.99 @ Newegg

**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | $94.98 @ OutletPC

**Total** = $946.40

The total comes in at about $950 so it saves you a bit of room for upgrading down the road. I'm not a big fan of fancy cases (it's usually out of view anyway) so I opted for an el-cheapo. Also, who needs an optical drive after the Windows install? Steal one from another computer temporarily if you can, if not just pick up one for $15-$20.

My guess is that this should play just about anything at 1080p/60 for the forseeable future.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@8bit_archer: You sir, are a motherfucking gentleman and a scholar. Way to not get dragged down by the rough turn this thread took. Anywho, don't skimp on the cooling for your rig and have a merry Xmas.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just by looking at some of the comments here, it's no wonder that the sexism threads go south so fast in the GB forums

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Newegg actually does have some great deals going on right now, I was able to build a real nice set up for only $650. Not going to play everything on Ultra, but will definitely get the job done. I recommend checking their holiday deals.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@colourful_hippie said:

Just by looking at some of the comments here, it's no wonder that the sexism threads go south so fast in the GB forums

Yea, I don't see what the big deal is. Joint accounts require approval from both parties in order to make a significant purchase. Seems to me like the OP is in a healthy relationship with his spouse and both parties are responsible.

If he were saying "I'm buying a PC behind my wife's back", then I'd have a problem and it'd probably result in a heated discussion.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the response to this thread has really been bothering me. Once again props to @8bit_archer for the way he's handling it.

I've been with my wife for almost 12 years. We bought a house a couple of years ago and have an 14 month old son. I'm gonna spend the rest of my life with this woman, she's the mother of my child, and what's mine is most definitely hers. We're adults, we're a fucking team, and we don't need separate "allowances".

People belittling a relationship on the grounds of joint accounts needs to gain some perspective.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

Yeah, the response to this thread has really been bothering me. Once again props to @8bit_archer for the way he's handling it.

I've been with my wife for almost 12 years. We bought a house a couple of years ago and have an 14 month old son. I'm gonna spend the rest of my life with this woman, she's the mother of my child, and what's mine is most definitely hers. We're adults, we're a fucking team, and we don't need separate "allowances".

People belittling a relationship on the grounds of joint accounts needs to gain some perspective.

Thank you its nice to know that there are a few understanding adults in this community.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@8bit_archer said:

@troispoint said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimbo said:

I'd set your sights a little lower - you aren't gonna have a lot of change left after you go buy a spine.

:P Me and my wife have a 50/50 thing going on here, we both compromise a lot. We both discuss any purchase with each other first. Its part of being in a healthy Growing relationship. She is a awesome woman and to be honest if I were to be "OWNED" by anyone I would rather it be her, she is a very compisinatewoman who allows me to be me(a nerd). So laugh it up, Ill laugh with you...my wife owns me :D

This is what it looks like when an adult responds to children on the internet =)

Yeah, especially that COMPISINATE part. Totally adult-like.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Krockett

@klei said:

@fobwashed said:
    @8bit_archer said:

@troispoint said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimbo said:

:P Me and my wife have a 50/50 thing going on here, we both compromise a lot. We both discuss any purchase with each other first. Its part of being in a healthy Growing relationship. She is a awesome woman and to be honest if I were to be "OWNED" by anyone I would rather it be her, she is a very compisinatewoman who allows me to be me(a nerd). So laugh it up, Ill laugh with you...my wife owns me :D

Yeah, especially that COMPISINATE part. Totally adult-like.

Wow I guess I got too carried away and didn't even realize how bad I murdered that word...lol nice catch...

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8bit_archer: If you have a mastercard, you can also check out the Newegg deal currently going on here: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/13-6028/index.html

I would recommend some parts, but I usually build budgeted machines that compromise certain aspects in favor of others. Like I don't believe you need a 750W PSU for a single-card / Intel setup, but some would disagree. Also you've already had some decent recommendations for power builds. If you have any questions regarding the parts, compatibility, putting it together, or anything else you're curious about, just let me know.

Sorry to hear about people being idiots, by the way. I think it's nice that you have a caring partner, and you act as a team instead of individuals. Most of the "troll" comments I can't take seriously, because I can't understand how anyone could see that as a bad thing. It is the internet, though, I guess.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

Exactly the face i picture of someone making this comment. Marriage and eventually parenthood is about compromise and putting others before yourself.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dude, go Mini ITX so I can live vicariously through you for a year until I get my own! Kidding, do what you want. My plan is to make a TV PC next year using a Silverstone SG08 (or something similar) packed to the gills with goodies. If you're using a PC monitor then I suppose you can use as big a tower as you like. Even past the necessity of needing a small computer to fit in my living room set-up I find the idea of a small yet effective enclosure with powerful parts appealing.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone making fun of him is funny in a sad, sad way

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ekami said:

why is everyone being internet shitty about the dudes life

it's super mean

we should help the nice family man make a pleasure computer

haha pleasure computer.

alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldmanlight: People have taken a super small joke wayyyyy to far

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Exactly the face i picture of someone making this comment. Marriage and eventually parenthood is about compromise and putting others before yourself.

@alwaysbebombing said:

The way the thread title was worded is funny. And you guys are losing your minds over a couple of jokes. People are taking themselves way too seriously. Get over yourselves.

alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@oldmanlight said:
    No Caption Provided

@alwaysbebombing said:

The way the thread title was worded is funny. And you guys are losing your minds over a couple of jokes. People are taking themselves way too seriously. Get over yourselves.

I'm glad you agree. Why did so many people take it like a personal attack on themselves? It was just humor all around.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing:

@troispoint said:

@oldmanlight said:
    No Caption Provided

@alwaysbebombing said:

I'm glad you agree. Why did so many people take it like a personal attack on themselves? It was just humor all around.

Hey guys I thought I was kinda chill about the whole thing and I agree it did escalate at a crazy pace, sorry for my contribution in that. I was trying to laugh it off, but others took it way further in both directions. That being said hope there are no hard feelings, because I have none. Peace and have a Merry Christmas guys, if my wife "lets me"(lol) ill post a pic of whatever I do decide to get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.