Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Space Saving Ideas for my PC? Moving and I'm out of room!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I'm moving to a much nicer city in a couple of weeks, unfortunately at the expense of space...I'm losing an extra bedroom that I had previously used for my computer/guitar/whatever stuff. 

I'm pretty much out of room. I have a large living room/dining room that is going to be dominated by a giant couch, recliner, coffee table, end tables, a small entertainment center for my 360/PS3/DVR and a wall-mounted 55" LED LCD. The bedroom isn't going to have much room in it, either....I MAY be able to arrange it on a small corner desk unit type of thing in the bedroom, but it would have to be pretty small. Another option would be hooking it up as a HTPC type of deal, but it's a mid-tower case and I don't really want a giant ass PC in my living room. I don't want to just not take the PC with me either, though...I built the thing last year and it has a quad core AMD, HD 5850, etc, so I'd like to keep it and put it to some kind of use. I already have a large office-type chair and a chair mat for it, but I don't necessarily need to take those with me. I'm using a Samsung 27" LCD with it as well...I'd like to keep and use that for something if I can, whether that be for the PC itself or if I hook the PC up to the giant ass LCD in my living room, maybe as a second smaller monitor in the bedroom for something else. 

Anyone have any ideas for space saving or converting this thing for use in the living room without spending a lot of money?
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Depending on the size of your living room you could have the sofa and the coffee tables/end tables in there ad then put the computers etc in the dining room? :)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mike
    @WoodenPlatypus: Well, the living room and dining room in this case is one giant room, about 25 feet long by 15 feet wide....and I already have a new dining room table with four chairs, and a new matching coffee table with two end tables being delivered...not going to be room in that space for a separate PC setup, I'm afraid. 
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

@MB: 
    Ah :/ there seems to no way for it to get into the dining or living space.

All I can think of is using the end table in your bedroom and somehow get the computer in there or find a corner in your living room where it could go.

Thats all I can think of really. Try doing a few draw ups in paint of something and working it out like that :)

Hope you manage to make everything fit!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Hard to say with out pictures to see the room arrangement to be honest. As you said, hooking it up to the TV is probably your best option if you don't have any space, but if you can find the space a little corner desk would be a good way to go. It just has to be big enough to fit a keyboard and another 6-12 inches for mouse space. Stuff like this:

I couldn't find any photos, but maybe look a big computer desk that could also double as a place to keep your TV/stuff as well?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

I do have a huge walk-in closet that I could probably put a computer desk in...but there's no ventilation in there! Heh. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
    @MB: I've seen this problem time and time again. In my experience it's usually best to just bite the bullet and shove it in to your living room set up and turn it into a HTPC with added functionality.

It'll work long term or as a more temporary solution until you can shuffle things around to make space for it.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I used to use a walk in cupboard as a small computer room. As long as you keep the door open while you're using it, I wouldn't think that ventilation would be a problem. It certainly wasn't an issue for me. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
    @jadeskye said:
    " @MB: I've seen this problem time and time again. In my experience it's usually best to just bite the bullet and shove it in to your living room set up and turn it into a HTPC with added functionality.

It'll work long term or as a more temporary solution until you can shuffle things around to make space for it.
    "
    Well it definitely would add a lot of functionality, I'm just thinking of where I could put the damn thing without it looking awful. 
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bybeach

I like Matty FTM'a approach. As for ventellation added, go vertigal in the walk in closet, and put in a corner shelf for a fan. hell, hang one from the ceiling if you are allowed, and the is already a lightsocket situated(iffy). I know this isn't likely possible with the cieling hung and maybe room for the shelf fan, but I have a small bladed fan with light in the den that might be perfect for the app.

Also, you might consider the possibility of say your monitor or printer on a glass wall mount shelf (they make a very strong one) and see if that in turn buys you space.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Hard to say with out pictures to see the room arrangement to be honest. As you said, hooking it up to the TV is probably your best option if you don't have any space, but if you can find the space a little corner desk would be a good way to go. It just has to be big enough to fit a keyboard and another 6-12 inches for mouse space. Stuff like this:

I couldn't find any photos, but maybe look a big computer desk that could also double as a place to keep your TV/stuff as well?
    "
    Something like that would be ideal if I can figure out a place to put it...probably in the bedroom...all I really have is the case, monitor, two speakers with a small sub, mouse, and a keyboard. The big computer desk thing is a no-go, I have a smallish one-shelf low to the ground entertainment center that is going to house my Xbox, PS3, and DVR, and the TV is going to be mounted on the wall above that. 

I know it's tough to make recommendations without pictures...but I just don't have pictures right now. It's probably something that will have to wait until I get all of my other furniture into the house and arranged so I can see what kind of space I have left. That's about the size of desk I was thinking about, though. That plus a chair wouldn't take up much room at all.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
    @bybeach said:
    "

I like Matty FTM'a approach. As for ventellation added, go vertigal in the walk in closet, and put in a corner shelf for a fan. hell, hang one from the ceiling if you are allowed, and the is already a lightsocket situated(iffy). I know this isn't likely possible with the cieling hung and maybe room for the shelf fan, but I have a small bladed fan with light in the den that might be perfect for the app.

Also, you might consider the possibility of say your monitor or printer on a glass wall mount shelf (they make a very strong one) and see if that in turn buys you space.

"
    Another good idea...there is a light on the ceiling in the closet, I'm not sure if there are any other power outlets in there or not, though. I'll have to go look.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try a  bunk bed if that’s an option? my girlfriend had one and she was able to store a ton of crap under it. Until she moved all her crap in to my place...crap.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ZimboDK

Switch it out with this laptop:

Problem solved.
    ViktorKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ViktorKing
    Anyone have any ideas for space saving or converting this thing for use in the living room without spending a lot of money?    

My primary gaming PC is connected to my primary television, aside from the obnoxious blue lights flooding the room at night (stock Antec Nine-Hundred), it's grown to become a staple in the room, edging out any consoles save for a PS3 Slim for Blu Ray duty. The issue of a 'giant-ass' midtower in your living room is subjective and getting your gear into a smaller case could be the most expensive endeavor available. Forging ahead, the PC becomes social as opposed to being the tool of the fat guy hunched over in a corner, and the need for a dedicated desk is null. Simple. Definitely cheapest.
    Most video cards bundle a DVI >> HDMI adapter for the task. The last few I've had came with and I have spares from more recent purchases. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and two X360 gamepads, one of which had to be purchased in a PC-specific bundle to get the USB Transmitter.
    If you're looking for a specific cheap 'perfect solution', there isn't one without re-building a smaller PC to suit your desire of an aesthetic.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
    @ViktorKing: Thanks for the useful input! The case I have isn't exactly GIANT...it's an Antec 300, and there aren't any huge arrays of LED's in there either. It was just a basic build, and I do still have the DVI>HDMI adapter that my video card came with. 

I think what I might do is just hook up the PC as-is to the TV in the living room and see how I like it, and then decide from there if I want to get a desk or just change cases (if even that).
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By justinnotjason

edit:

didn't read the question right.
    ViktorKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ViktorKing

Aside from some games having unreadable text at distance (Dragon Age on my 37" at anything more than a meter distance) hooking your PC up to a TV and getting a proper side-by-side of, say, Bad Company 2, or, more distinctly, Call of Duty MW2 on an X360 / PS3 versus the PC will offer the most telling difference between the two platforms. When you only have to manage a 1080p max resolution the options to crank-up the anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering and high-flash post processing reach ever-skyward.

Everything just plays better on the PC, and if you're not convinced the answer is usually 'Just add GeForce' or 'make sure the Bluetooth antenna is closer to your input peripherals than your WiFi adapter' (something you'll need if your PC becomes a permanent living room fixture). Backwards compatibility is perhaps the biggest gain on the PC, an advantage overlooked when staring down all the glitter.
    The World is Not Enough and Turok 3 run like a dog on the N64? Oh well~.
    Doom 3 not run so well on your Windows XP box when it first came out? Try it now. Banging.

Cheers.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

What about using the corner desk option in the bedroom and wall mounting the 27" samsung, then if you add a TV Tuner card to the PC it becomes a home theatre PC too so it serves more than 1 purpose, while wall mounting the screen helps reduce the impact on the space requirements.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Take a sledgehammer...make space, thats how real men do it!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Any thoughts on putting the PC's contents into a Media Center case and using the TV as monitor in combo with a wireless mouse and keyboard?  I've done so before and it was a fine solution. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.