Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Ubisoft: DRM cracked already, backpedaling on AC2

• 69 results
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hunkulese
    @brotherlu said:

" I believe the main reason for piracy is the cost being so high. In Canada gomes come out for 69.99 which is extremely high, considering that it costs more than a person can make at minimum wage in one work day. So piracy is very tempting for them, if you make good money then $70 is not much and buying the game is so much more desirable. Personally being a super budget student, i only buy games that are either 39.99 or cheaper. MY most expensive purchase was Modern Warfare 2 for $50 from someone on craigslist.   SO patient and wait for the game to be cheaper, the game wont disappear over night.♠ "

If you're paying 69.99 for a PC game you really should look into downloading steam. Most games on steam for $49.99 USD and after the exchange it comes out to about $54 Canadian. Which is still less then if you'd pay for a $49.99 game in a store.

It's also a stupid thing to say that people are only pirating games because they're so expensive. People will and do pirate games at any price.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Robiin said:
    " I might pirate it just to prove a point. "
    That isn't proving anything besides you being an asshole.  

All it proves is that piracy is getting INSANE
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Vade
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Vade said:
    " @Jimbo: Revenue mostly coming from console sales. "
    Non sequitur.  It was hugely profitable on both platforms. "
    Nonsensical, the sales were disappointing on PC/MAC even though there's a wider market and a lot more potential customers. Piracy fucked up WoG pretty badly but of course it made a profit because of low costs and overwhelming popularity. Even though a big number of pirates won't buy the game in any case, the lack of DRM and especially advertising the lack of DRM increases piracy. Saying 'We're selling a game without DRM' WILL increase piracy and reduce sales. I don't agree at all if someone says that DRM isn't necessary or profitable when it obviously is.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Hamz said:
    "To be fair from the moment Ubisoft sent out the press release detailing their new DRM solution for upcoming titles released on the PC I think everyone felt the exact same two things. The first being this was a step backwards to the horrid draconian measures of anti-piracy and the second being the game is going to get pirated as an attempt to prove a point to Ubisoft.  I am not surprised to see this new DRM solution is cracked, did anyone really think it would never be cracked? Look at IWnet getting cracked within 24 hours of MW2's release. Steam and VAC have been cracked, although arguably Valve manage to keep it updated regularly enough to combat this effectively.  The reason most PC gamers continue to repeat the phrase of "treat us as customers, not as criminals" is because frankly we've all been gaming long enough to know that no matter what DRM or anti-piracy software a company uses, it will always be cracked. So for those honest consumers out there who bought the game these anti-piracy measures become intrusive and a hindrance to our gaming experience but we're forced to use them while the pirates are playing the same game(s) without the DRM software because they cracked it.  Arguably the biggest reason piracy exists on the PC is because the PC itself provides the option. You'll never stop people doing it, what you have to do is focus on the folks who do buy your product and make sure they get a great experience and feel like continuing to buy and support your products in the future. Mistreat the honest consumer however and you might as well just point them toward the nearest torrent site and explain how it works because that is arguably where they will go if this sort of draconian method and desire for control continues on the PC.  That or just release your game through Steam and be done with it. "

I was going to pound out another long-winded rant, but I think that you have effectively hit all the points I would've made. This entire thing is just insane to me. The whole thing just leaves me confused, I just don't understand what the hell they are thinking.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Jimbo
    @Vade said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Vade said:
    " @Jimbo: Revenue mostly coming from console sales. "
    Non sequitur.  It was hugely profitable on both platforms. "
    Nonsensical, the sales were disappointing on PC/MAC even though there's a wider market and a lot more potential customers. Piracy fucked up WoG pretty badly but of course it made a profit because of low costs and overwhelming popularity. Even though a big number of pirates won't buy the game in any case, the lack of DRM and especially advertising the lack of DRM increases piracy. Saying 'We're selling a game without DRM' WILL increase piracy and reduce sales. I don't agree at all if someone says that DRM isn't necessary or profitable when it obviously is. "

"Don't bother with DRM--it's a waste of time. You just end up giving the DRM provider money. Anything that is of interest gets cracked, and the cracked version ends up having a better user experience than the legit version because you don't have to input in some 32-character serial number.  Anybody who wants the game is likely to find it on BitTorrent sites. It's going to get cracked even with DRM, it's going to be available very quickly, so we don't see the point in having DRM. Piracy rates have been released before, and there's no difference between World of Goo and other games."  

- Ron Carmel, creator of World of Goo, speaking at GDC '09
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Vade
    @Jimbo: Yup, that's the news item I read before I wrote my earlier reply.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By raiz265
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " So... that means that Splinter Cell and PoP: The Forgotten Sands will come out with 6 months delay after the console ones? F you pirates. You ruined PC gaming. "
    I don't want to be insulting but that's a bit of an ignorant viewpoint.

@Fallen189 said:

"  http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=237724 "

Thanks for this. If Ubisoft does indeed patch the DRM out of the AC2 at a later date they will get my money 100% "

i think they did the same with anno 1404 (dawn of discovery) and patched the DRM out a few months after release (it took a couple of weeks to properly crack the DRM on that game) 

and there still is no proper crack for ACII released by now afaik 
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Tennmuerti:  You know alot of cracks are created by mob run crack teams around Asia. They crack the games then sell them on the streets in China or Thailand. I lived in Venezuela and we had a store that sold bootleg everything in the mall. From xbox games to pc games they had it all!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @AndrewB said:
    " Even as a PC gamer, I'm starting to feel like I'd rather see PC gaming die off. If people are just going to continue to pirate the games, they should stop releasing them on that platform. I'd say stick with a Steam release, but A) I'm not sure it's worth it for them to develop a whole new version of the game just for that *I guess it would depend on the game and how much they expect Steam users to fit into their demographic) and B) I'm sure Steam remains just as crackable as anything else. "
    I find this to be an entirely ridiculous stance.  Movies are pirated, TV shows are pirated and so is music in much larger numbers than PC games and yet nobody is crying the corporate shill stance that these mediums need to die.  
    Steam is a fine release venue for corporate and independently funded games.  Shut. Up.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    @BeachThunder said:
    " @animateria said:
    "Give incentives to paying customers instead of shackling them, ignore pirates. "
    This is the solution. I don't see why there is so much emphasis on punishing everyone. Both legitimate customers and those who develop the DRM are punished. Actual customers need to jump through increasingly obscene hoops in order to play games and the publishers waste money and time developing DRM which is consistently cracked within a day or two (maybe 3).

Why not instead reward legitimate customers with new content? Make people want to purchase a product and make people feel positive about purchasing a product, rather than making people feel frustrated and resentful. "

Well said dudes. I had a conversation with a buddy about societal need to "punish" people into doing something, or changing habit. Why not reward people, give them incentive. It's a lot easier to push people down a certain path if they want to go. As for myself, I'll do one better and not buy any Ubisoft product that contains ridiculous DRM.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Undeadpool

Penny Arcade's done several comics on this topic, and I really feel like they nail it: 
    Piracy is illegal. You can do it, but don't pretend like somehow it's NOT against the law and game developers have no right to try and stop you. 
    I agree with this sentiment and, even more amusingly, they get called "anti-consumer" for it...but pirates are, by definition, the OPPOSITE of consumers. I don't care whether or not people pirate, but getting self-righteous about it is just silly.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Undeadpool: Positive reinforcement always proves to get a better result than negative reinforcement.  Check out as many sources as you want but that's a fact of human nature.  I should like to add that you're missing the point of the cartoons if you think that negative reinforcement is what they're attempting to do.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Undeadpool said:
    " Penny Arcade's done several comics on this topic, and I really feel like they nail it: Piracy is illegal. You can do it, but don't pretend like somehow it's NOT against the law and game developers have no right to try and stop you. I agree with this sentiment and, even more amusingly, they get called "anti-consumer" for it...but pirates are, by definition, the OPPOSITE of consumers. I don't care whether or not people pirate, but getting self-righteous about it is just silly. "
    You realize 95% of intrusive drm does nothing to pirates and just makes the actual buyers have to jump through hoops right?  Hell I know people who have legitimately bought games THEN played the cracked version off a torrent because it had shit like Securom
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By spacetrucking
    @SeriouslyNow said: 
    I find this to be an entirely ridiculous stance.  Movies are pirated, TV shows are pirated and so is music in much larger numbers than PC games and yet nobody is crying the corporate shill stance that these mediums need to die.   Steam is a fine release venue for corporate and independently funded games.  Shut. Up. "
    There is a big difference between movies/music and games. The difference is choice. 

Out of all the things you mentioned, games are the only one where the creator can choose not to make it available on PC. It is also the only medium where the developers have to put in an extra effort to make it work on PCs. Nobody is asking for the other entertainment mediums to die on the PC because they know it's impossible due to the existence of video capture and music ripping. However, game developer can make that happen by simply not making games for PC.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Undeadpool
    @SeriouslyNow:  
    I never said DRM was the way to go, I simply said the pirate's stance of saying what they're doing is right is incorrect.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Killjoi said:

" @SeriouslyNow said: 

I find this to be an entirely ridiculous stance.  Movies are pirated, TV shows are pirated and so is music in much larger numbers than PC games and yet nobody is crying the corporate shill stance that these mediums need to die.   Steam is a fine release venue for corporate and independently funded games.  Shut. Up. "
    There is a big difference between movies/music and games. The difference is choice. 

Out of all the things you mentioned, games are the only one where the creator can choose not to make it available on PC. It is also the only medium where the developers have to put in an extra effort to make it work on PCs. Nobody is asking for the other entertainment mediums to die on the PC because they know it's impossible due to the existence of video capture and music ripping. However, game developer can make that happen by simply not making games for PC. "
    Mate, I hate to burst your bubble, but all developers of all console games use Windows and Linux PCs to develop them.  Not only that but the majority of these developers on consoles have working models of their products running on PC for the majority of the development cycle.  The only people who want PC to die are the corporates who want to create a landscape where they earn money at every turn and level.  Independent developers, modders and myriad creative people need PC as a game platform to survive in order to bring fresh approaches and ideas into the market.  We all need PC to thrive as a platform and by the way it does, despite what corporate shills are trying to make people believe.  The fact that PC NPD figures are no longer published does not reflect poorly on the PC as a gaming platform, it reflects poorly on how easliy NPD can be bent to certain corporate wills and desires.

Steams huge pickup rate over the last two fiscal years indicates that PC as a platform is nowhere near death and that's only one of many forms of retail which reaches PC.

The difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying is indeed choice.  I choose reality where you choose the falseness painted by corporate interests and greed.  Pirates are consumers in all mediums.  Get that through your head and then we may start to see eye to eye.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:  I never said DRM was the way to go, I simply said the pirate's stance of saying what they're doing is right is incorrect. "
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " You realize 95% of intrusive drm does nothing to pirates and just makes the actual buyers have to jump through hoops right?  Hell I know people who have legitimately bought games THEN played the cracked version off a torrent because it had shit like Securom "
    This answers your point of view on piracy quite succinctly Undeadpool.  Just remember that without piracy we wouldn't have many of the creative mediums which are part of the modern and ancient landscape.  To quote but a few in name : HipHop, House Music, Graffiti, Mixed Media Art, Satire, Social Commentary, Youtube and many many more.

Piracy is not evil.  I don't support piracy on the PC but I do understand its relevance and its valid uses.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Undeadpool
    @SeriouslyNow:  
    Once again, you're coming at me as though I said that DRM was the correct solution. I don't think it is, I don't even think it's a very good idea, but let me tell you a story: 
    I live in San Francisco where the economic downturn is starting to take a very serious toll on the local state schools. A large group of students barricaded themselves in a building on campus, essentially halting all classes for the day and drawing huge media attention. Bully for them. They issued their demands, some of which were reasonable, some of which were not, one of which struck me especially: they demanded that none of them be prosecuted for their crimes. The entire point of civil disobedience is to show the injustice of the law that you're breaking by being prosecuted, but wanting a get out of jail free card they invalidate their message. 
    I'm saying that piracy IS illegal. Whether or not it's immoral is another debate entirely, one that I'm not really willing to have at this hour with this little of sleep, but the fact remains that publishers have the legal right to protect their property as they see fit. I have to say I admire Stardock as a developer and as a publisher for releasing games that don't even require the disc to be in the drive (I love it because I lose discs), but that's their choice. To say that you're going to pirate a game because of DRM only proves the point of the publisher further. I agree it's ineffective, but to say that the pirates are on the highground is absurd. 
    Also: Youtube has become a cultural hub because it allows free exchange of information, I'm not sure I would call it piracy.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By spacetrucking
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Killjoi said:

" @SeriouslyNow said: 

Out of all the things you mentioned, games are the only one where the creator can choose not to make it available on PC. It is also the only medium where the developers have to put in an extra effort to make it work on PCs. Nobody is asking for the other entertainment mediums to die on the PC because they know it's impossible due to the existence of video capture and music ripping. However, game developer can make that happen by simply not making games for PC. "
    Mate, I hate to burst your bubble, but all developers of all console games use Windows and Linux PCs to develop them.  Not only that but the majority of these developers on consoles have working models of their products running on PC for the majority of the development cycle.  The only people who want PC to die are the corporates who want to create a landscape where they earn money at every turn and level.  Independent developers, modders and myriad creative people need PC as a game platform to survive in order to bring fresh approaches and ideas into the market.  We all need PC to thrive as a platform and by the way it does, despite what corporate shills are trying to make people believe.  The fact that PC NPD figures are no longer published does not reflect poorly on the PC as a gaming platform, it reflects poorly on how easliy NPD can be bent to certain corporate wills and desires.

Steams huge pickup rate over the last two fiscal years indicates that PC as a platform is nowhere near death and that's only one of many forms of retail which reaches PC.

The difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying is indeed choice.  I choose reality where you choose the falseness painted by corporate interests and greed.  Pirates are consumers in all mediums.  Get that through your head and then we may start to see eye to eye. "
    Thanks for the condescending bubble burster but I already knew that. Games are on the PC for majority of their development cycle but companies still need to optimize their code for an open platform like PC and run months of QA to give it a full retail release. It still requires time and money and that's where the choice comes in. You're putting the blame entirely on the publisher and that's wrong. Developers play an equal part in the process. Most publisher contracts involve a set amount of budget and time with usually strict targets. If you're developing additionally for the PC, you would need to fit the extra QA within those restrictions. If the monetary gain from this extra effort is not good enough, why should they continue to do so ? More often than not, developers choose to focus just on the console version because they believe it's where the money is at. Also, console exclusivity deals make it a more profitable exchange for both the manufacturer and the publisher (and the developer by relation). It's mainly about return from investment and the excessive piracy on PC makes it a worse investment for most developers.

Also, I never categorically said that "PC gaming was dying" I think It's merely shifting focus from being the premier development platform (ala 90s) to being the budding ground for independent developers and multiplayer focused games. Most designers here at USC still release their project as flash or built in browser games. So obviously that's where it all starts for us. But that doesn't make it a necessary platform for full retail single player focused titles like Assassin's Creed II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.