Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird Graphics Problems

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Hey guys.  I've just finished building myself a new gaming rig that blows away anything I test on it but I seem to be having a couple of weird problems on a few specific games.  Crysis Warhead and Company of Heroes both suffer from this weird problem where huge lines seem to point out from random objects.  Look at my screenshot for a better description but at some points I actually seem to be in side objects and it's really fucking up the game for me.    

No Caption Provided

Do you guys have any idea what might be wrong? I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating or power problem but I don't really know what else to try. 

I have a Core i5 system with a 5850 a 4 gigs of DDR3 so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my hardware, on the opening level I seem to be getting 50 fps quite easily.  Just the stupid fricking lines 

EDIT: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit if that helps. 

Heh I thought this screenshot was pretty funny for some reason
     Heh I thought this screenshot was pretty funny for some reason
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Generally that is caused by your graphics card overheating.  It probably is something wrong with your hardware, the graphics card specifically.

edit - guess it could be bad graphics card RAM, if you know you're not over temp.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Really? Bad RAM?  None of the other games I've played around with have had any problems,  Empire Total War, Mirrors Edge and TF2 all run great without a hint of weirdness.  Guess I'll get some better temperature monitoring software.  I cant only see so much with GPUZ

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
    @IncredibleBulk92: 
    In case you don't know, make sure you're checking the temps when you're playing the game, not alt tabbing and not exiting the game to check, otherwise the temps will go down.

It doesn't look like a driver problem, but I haven't used ATI cards in a while, so I guess make sure you have good drivers installed.  I assume you're not overclocked, but if you are, go back to stock to see if the problem goes away.  You could also make sure DirectX is up to date.

If it was a problem in just Crysis Warhead I might think it was some fluke, but even in 2 games, you shouldn't be seeing that.
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Yea I checked the temperature of the GPU while the game was running not while I was on desktop so I know the GPU isn't the problem also the drivers were the first things I checked. 

Just checked my CPU with speedfan and it looks like I could do with a better cooling fan over that.  Is 50 degrees C high or low? I've never actually owned a CPU that had this feature before so I don't really have a basis for comparison. 

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mhkjtha

that looks like a graphical artifact from overheating for sure. have you oc'd?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    Is 50 degrees C high or low? I've never actually owned a CPU that had this feature before so I don't really have a basis for comparison.
    It depends on the CPU but that does seem about 10 degrees C hot, but probably not a real danger.  It wouldn't be causing these artifacts either.

I'm pretty pretty certain the GPU is your problem, but I don't know what to recommend as far as testing.  Problems can go beyond heat related.  If you were overclocked you might still get OK temps but it could still cause physical problems on the GPU.
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

No I haven't.  No OC at all. 

Just gave it a good test to see what the temperature would look like after 5 minutes of play and the highest temperature I got across my card was 55 degrees.  Think I'll buy myself a new CPU cooler and see if that solves the problem.  The stock one is kinda crap anyhow.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

It could be a corrupt game file.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By captain_clayman
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " No I haven't.  No OC at all.  Just gave it a good test to see what the temperature would look like after 5 minutes of play and the highest temperature I got across my card was 55 degrees.  Think I'll buy myself a new CPU cooler and see if that solves the problem.  The stock one is kinda crap anyhow. "
    not even once or twice? 

but yeah...did you try reinstalling?  it looks to be the same thing in both pics, maybe there's something wrong with the gun model
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By lucas_kelly

I had the same problem with a previous graphics card I had. I only got a couple of spikes here and there though. Unfortunately its probably a hardware problem, if your GPU is still under warranty you might want to send it back. Or contact the maker of your card through their website to see if they have any solutions.  

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @Mikemcn said:
    It could be a corrupt game file.
    @captain_clayman said:
     it looks to be the same thing in both pics, maybe there's something wrong with the gun model
    He said it happened in more than one game, and there appears to be multiple things going wrong in that first shot.
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Raven

It sounds to me like a faulty graphics card, both your GPU and CPU temps are fine, have you tried running ATI Tools artifact tester?

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Well I literally built this PC over the weekend so I haven't even had time to think about Overclocking.  I reserve overclocking for when the card starts to show it's age. 

I just ran another test playing Crysis and it seems like my CPUs temperature shoots up to about 70 or 80 which seems quite bad.  I've already ordered a new cooler so I'm hoping that solves the problem.  If not it should at least prove that the GPU is the problem, I don't really trust the stock cooler anyway.   The CPU seems to run in the low 40s while I'm not playing any games so I'm sure it'll be fine so long as I stick to non-gaming.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mhkjtha

thats such a typical overclocking/overheating artifact, ive seen it a million times when ive searched around for typical artifacts etc. I think the new cooler will help, it should help the overall temperature of your pc. id advice not using your pc for games or anything else demanding until it arrives so that excessive heat wont permanently damage anything. (the risk probably isnt huge, but better safe then sorry)

if it doesnt help, reinstall drivers. if THAT doesnt help, create a new windows install partition and play the game from there just to make 100% sure its not a software problem.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Reuben

Last time I had that happen to me it was on my old ATI card and updating the drivers fixed the problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yorro

Driver problem

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @mhkjtha said:

"  thats such a typical overclocking/overheating artifact, ive seen it a million times when ive searched around for typical artifacts etc. I think the new cooler will help, it should help the overall temperature of your pc. id advice not using your pc for games or anything else demanding until it arrives so that excessive heat wont permanently damage anything. (the risk probably isnt huge, but better safe then sorry) "

That's probally the advice I would go with. I overclock alot and that usually happens when it's too overclocked. Crysis warhead is quite demanding on a videocard and I also have a cooler with three fans on it and that doesn't happen anymore. If you do continue to play games now, the damage might be permanent. Ati cards are known to have alot of heat, 80 degrees however is normal for most videocards, yet with my cooler, I don't get any more than 50 degrees now. 

Also sometimes when you buy a videocard, it's already factory overclocked, ati cards are factory overclocked past nvidia cards, they have higher settings. Also don't use anti aliasing on crysis warhead, or turn that down a bit, it might help. It's definently a cooling problem and overclocked card. Just because you didn't overclock it, doesn't mean it's already not factory overclocked. Either that, or RMA that card and get it replaced.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kblt
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @mhkjtha said:

"  thats such a typical overclocking/overheating artifact, ive seen it a million times when ive searched around for typical artifacts etc. I think the new cooler will help, it should help the overall temperature of your pc. id advice not using your pc for games or anything else demanding until it arrives so that excessive heat wont permanently damage anything. (the risk probably isnt huge, but better safe then sorry) "

That's probally the advice I would go with. I overclock alot and that usually happens when it's too overclocked. Crysis warhead is quite demanding on a videocard and I also have a cooler with three fans on it and that doesn't happen anymore. If you do continue to play games now, the damage might be permanent. Ati cards are known to have alot of heat, 80 degrees however is normal for most videocards, yet with my cooler, I don't get any more than 50 degrees now.   Also sometimes when you buy a videocard, it's already factory overclocked, ati cards are factory overclocked past nvidia cards, they have higher settings. Also don't use anti aliasing on crysis warhead, or turn that down a bit, it might help. It's definently a cooling problem and overclocked card. Just because you didn't overclock it, doesn't mean it's already not factory overclocked. Either that, or RMA that card and get it replaced. "
    In my knowledge none of the 58xx's are yet to be factory OC'd.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well I do have one more suggestion, download rivatuner, an overclocking program, just use the fan mode. Set the fan to 100% or near that if it's too loud, should help alot with the overheating. Sometimes ati card's fan settings are low by default, well same as most videocards. If you don't know how, just google it. It's important to keep the fan on high when you are playing games like crysis and stuff considering a videocard can generate alot of heat. However it's not suppose to artifact like that.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @HitmanAgent47: I just tried your suggest with regards to the GPU fan (I used the catalyst control centre) but even at 100% fan I'm still seeing these graphical problems.  I replaced the CPU cooler and that's running fine now (a Zalman X10) but I'm still having these problems.  It's weird because both the GPU and CPU are running at about 50 C which is apparently pretty low while playing games.  I'm going to have to contact ATi or something, these seems like it could be a card problem.   Unless it's some sort of driver/ Win7 problem... 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @IncredibleBulk92: You have no choice except to RMA the card now, you should of sent it back where you got it, i'm sure there was at least a 30 day waranty. Contact ati and since you tried everything, you need this card replaced. They probally still have a year waranty, you probally got one of those unlucky cards that was damaged before you used it. Honestly those are very common problems I even seen myself when I overclocked it too far and I had to quickly underclock it again before it fried my videocard. I know you didn't overclock it, however your card is very fast and powerful, which generates alot of heat. Looks like your card is permanetly damaged right now. It's not a driver problem with windows 7, it's a physical damage with the gpu caused by heat. Contact ati or the company you got the card from and let us know how it went.
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @HitmanAgent47: Ok thank you very much for your advice man.  The card is under warranty so nothing to worry about there, I'm installing as many case fans as I c an right now to make sure this doesn't happen again.  I'll post an update when I get this fixed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.