Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What is Xfire?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Have only ever used Steam, what is Xfire?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's a program that allows you to converse with other people. The special thing about it is that it's designed to work efficiently with videogames. It also let's you know what games other people are playing and such.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yukoei
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " It's a program that allows you to converse with other people. The special thing about it is that it's designed to work efficiently with videogames. It also let's you know what games other people are playing and such. "
    Okay, ill use it. Thanks.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Yukoei: Think of it as Steam but easier to use, not much of a resource hog and works with all games. Personally I don't use it but it's just a conversation system really.
    ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ErEl

Personally, I prefer Steam as it only uses a couple megs more memory than Xfire, doesn't seem more heavy on my system, and it just works better.
    macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By macandcheese

yeah, But Steam is a newer thing and Xfire was around way before it came out, I think that Steam would be easier to use since it is more of an all in one thing now but before Steam Xfire was very useful

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Novyx

Xfire is redundant and awkward compared to Steam, and is constantly updating. I stopped using it some time ago, with the exception of trying it again to see their AIM client support. It does take screens if you're into watermarks, though.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

I used it a few years ago when I played alot of COD2 but nowerdays it's just redundent since if you're playing PC games in 2009 you're logged into Steam.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By beargirl1
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan
    @Scooper said:
    nowerdays it's just redundent since if you're playing PC games in 2009 you're logged into Steam.
    I used to always be logged into Xfire, but Steam is just a lot more convenient.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Ah, Xfire. I remember back in the day when I was into Battlefield 2, Xfire was my best friend. I recall one time I joined a stat padding server and used Xfire to take screenshots of all the culprits and sent them to DICE. I doubt they did anything though.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By Forcen

Xfire is still the best Voice over ip software out there, who needs a ventrilo or teamspeak server when xfire hosts that shit for you.
    It also has decent video and screenshot capturing/hosting, ingame chat, server joining for all games and much more.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Hamst3r

Xfire needs to release a lite version that only tracks your gaming progress. That's all I use it for, like a last.fm for games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.