Innocent Sin coming to PSP

#1 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Just picked up this juicy tidbit from the internets. Seems that Persona 2: Innocent Sin is coming to the PSP, in Japan at least. But it's a Persona game, so a North American release seems inevitable. This excites me because Innocent Sin has never received a North America. I imagine they also have plans to bring Persona 2: Eternal Punishment to the PSP, but who cares? Innocent Sin!

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

Nice!

#3 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Finally! The fan translation was great, but I like send money Atlus' way or giving me what I want.

#4 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

This is excellent news, as I would not say no to a modernised version along the lines of the first remake.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Color me excited.  Getting this day one!

#6 Posted by metalsnakezero (2318 posts) -
#7 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Good stuff!
Neither part of Persona 2 ever came out over here, but I played a bit of both through the magic of emulation :)
PS emulation is still quite janky though, so I never bothered finishing either, so I can't wait for the remake(s).

#8 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I hope Eternal Punishment makes it too!!! I feel all giggly inside now!

#9 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Kind of predictable. I guess Atlus continues to get a free pass on just remaking shit over and over where every other company gets their ass over the fire for it. And yes I'm aware there's never been an official release of this game outside of Japan. But how hard would it be to just throw it up on PSN and XBLA.

#10 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@ryanwho:  It makes sense to put it up for PSP/PSN for the Japanese market. XBLA, not so much. But why would it be a free pass if the original PSX release of Persona was shit, and Innocent Sin was never released in English?  It doesn't count, unlike say Squenix who have released 4 or 5 different versions of Final Fantasy 1 & 2.
#11 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" Kind of predictable. I guess Atlus continues to get a free pass on just remaking shit over and over where every other company gets their ass over the fire for it. And yes I'm aware there's never been an official release of this game outside of Japan. But how hard would it be to just throw it up on PSN and XBLA. "

If it would have gotten a PSN/XBLA release, it would have been the same broken, clunky game it was ten years ago.

Now they're cleaning up the interface and refining gameplay systems. So I'm totally cool with this. This is one of those situations where a remake is justified, I feel.  I just hope they redo the dungeons as well.

also, more Meguro music=win.
#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (16018 posts) -

Just P4 left.

#13 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

That's good. I never really got into Persona 2 a lot but I understand a lot of people love it.

#14 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -

Asdfghjkl;'

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" Just P4 left. "
There are actually two Persona 2 titles: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. This is just the first one, Innocent Sin.
#16 Posted by Sanj (2457 posts) -

Yep, will buy.
#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

so excited

#18 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

EXCITEMENT~ al I think this means it's fightin' Hitler time yall!!!

NYARLATHOTEP!
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Great! Something to use my PSP for after I finish P3P.

#20 Posted by CheapDinerCoffee (1 posts) -

The new opening:   

#21 Posted by metalsnakezero (2318 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" EXCITEMENT~ al I think this means it's fightin' Hitler time yall!!!

NYARLATHOTEP!
"
We can finally fight Hitler that can summon a Persona!
#22 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Stop tempting me to get a PSP! I can't afford it! But damn, that looks pretty neat... 

#23 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@CheapDinerCoffee said:

" The new opening:   

"
Day 1 i hope it comes with a CD XD
#24 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -

I'm conflicted about this. 
I really want an updated/remastered IS. But I don't want them to do to the music and feel of the game that they did to Persona 1 while remaking it. 

Am I just too old fashioned?
#25 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I don't quite get it. 
SO there's two Persona 2s? Is Eternal Sin a sequel to Persona 2 proper? Or just two halfs of the same game? And why wouldn't they just combine both into one release now?

#26 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" I don't quite get it. SO there's two Persona 2s? Is Eternal Sin a sequel to Persona 2 proper? Or just two halfs of the same game? And why wouldn't they just combine both into one release now? "
Two parts to the same game. One is an alternate reality sorta dealy but not quite "alternate", it's a completely different game on its own but its still part of the other one. As for combination, dunno lol. Preservation I guess.
#27 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I really hope they just put them out quickly. Next year might be bad for new releases to old consoles.

#28 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" I really hope they just put them out quickly. Next year might be bad for new releases to old consoles. "
Why would you say that? I doubt they can just put out one after the other really quickly if we want polished graphics and better gameplay over all, not to mention the music being updated.

@TheChaos: No your not old fashioned, I really liked the build up to that. Maybe they will leave it alone due to complaints about the Persona 1 remake.
#29 Posted by Axersia (1620 posts) -
@TheChaos: I hear ya. Shoji Meguro re-doing Persona 1's soundtrack in his crappy J-Pop/Hip-Hop style (I mean, it's alright I guess, but it just doesn't fit the tone of the game) was the main reason I never bought the PSP port. Luckily for us, they'll include both soundtracks this time around -- Meguro's new happy poppy highschool soundtrack as well as the original darker soundtrack.
#30 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@TheChaos: If you are old fashioned, then you are not alone at least. 

@AgentJ: I wouldn't say they are two halves of one game. They are both long and good experiences on their own, and I doubt it'd be good to combine them, it's just that... Innocent Sin is one game, and Eternal Punishment is basically a sequel, with the same characters, that sets off at the same time and point that IS did... It's along the lines of what Snapstacle said, but more like a retroactive timeline-diversion as a result of events in the first game... Just play both and you'll understand and be happy as well!
#31 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" EXCITEMENT~ al I think this means it's fightin' Hitler time yall!!!

NYARLATHOTEP!
"
Is..is that an H.P. Lovecraft reference?
#32 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@luce: Well yes, but not in any horrifically particular way. The SMT-games always have tons of gods, demons, devils, creatures and whatnots from all kinds of religions, folklore and literature. There have been a few others from the Lovecraft universe, such as Cthulhu, Hastur and the unspecified "Old One".
#33 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1264 posts) -

I heard this news a little while ago. I am excite! While a remake of this sort sill doesn't help these games age well, I'll still play them while I do laundry.
#34 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

I can't believe I'm only now finding out about this. Now we can hear Holy Lance Knights in JPOP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.