Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Need some help here (buying PS3)

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

I've got money to spend and I figure I'll get a PS3 eventually, so why not get one right now for Killzone 2, so I'm just gonna go for it and buy one.  Could anyone give me some guidance on what to look for, what are the options, and also how to get a headset and get my PS3 online?  I don't know anything about the PS3 except that it's the one console I don't own and I don't want to miss out.
    Thanks!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I think the 160gb is the biggest model on the market right now. No SKUs have backwards compatability unless you get a used 60GB launch model.

Online is wireless or wired out of the box. You just plug it in (or don't plug it in), sign up for PSN and you're good to go.

Headset can be any blue tooth mic.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

You can also use a USB headset. I use a PS2 Logitech USB headset, which can be found pretty cheap now. I wouldn't recommend the Jabra headset that comes with Warhawk, it's a piece of crap if I may say so.

The current SKUs and most common you will find at stores now are:

• 80GB for $400 (no game or movie included).
    • 160GB for $500 plus a game (probably Uncharted: Drake's Fortune)
    Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Games, you are going to want games. There is a bundle that comes with Drake's Fortune, which is a great bundle game.

Also, Metal Gear 4 is a MUST.

I will also advise SKATE2 if you don't already have it for X360 (I can't stress enough what a phenomenal game it is).

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By gla55jAw

I have a have a 360 and a few months ago I picked up my PS3, I would go with the 80 gb version, I mean unless your going to upload your entire itunes library you dont need more, and you could always get a bigger hdd in the future. 

I own MGS4 right now and I'll get Killzone 2. Also I bought the real triggers for my PS3 and they are a must for only $5.

If it's a mult console release I get for 360 since all of my friends have an xbox and I only have 1 friend with a PS3, Blu rays are sickk tho, get a bunch of cool action movies and Planet Earth, thats what I mostly use my PS3 for.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Hm, 80gb sounds like a good in the middle number.  I don't need backwards compatibility because I didn't own a PS2 so I don't have any old games laying around.  About the USB headset, do you plug it into your controller, or is it hooked up to the PS3? 
    Bullet Jr, yeah I have both Skate 1 and 2 for the 360, skate is great.  I will get Metal Gear 4 eventually, I've always wanted to play it.

K so, will probably get the 80gb PS3, pick up a headset (whatever I can find there).  As for games, I'm not going to spend too much money yet, so all I'll get first is Killzone 2.  Including the price of the one game, that should be what like just over $500 in total.  That's expensive, but w/e, online is free, and it's better than spending these next few years missing out on PS3 titles.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brukaoru

The USB headset is plugged right into the PS3, but the cord is pretty long so I don't have any fear of knocking over the system with the cord.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By super_machine

Buy the extended warranty. Trust me on this one.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By bartholomew999

80 should be fine.  I've got the 40Gig and I do okay with that but I don't keep demos or rip music music, so I can get by without the upgrade.  Of course I do have to delete game data periodically.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate

Hey buddy :) The ps3 is a great console and it definately will not do you any harm to own one!  

There are various different options available as far as picking up a base model goes,  Hard drive space is irrelivant as you can easily stick in any small form pc hard drive so your real choice is wheher you want wireless access for the internet or not, if you do then hit up an 80 gig or suchlike -if not then hit up a 40gb model and then swap in a larger hard drive.

Any usb or bluetooth headset will work with the ps3, as well as any sub mouse or keyboard, so bog standard pc equipment can be dual used for the ps3 quite freely.

Getting a ps3 online is even easier - upon turning it on for the first time you will be prompted to create a user profile, upon completion of this you can navigate to the right hand side of the xmb where the internet utilities are stored and it will say 'SIGN UP FOR PLAYSTATION NETWORK' - simply give it your email address and the like and within 5 minutes your free online gaming id will have been creataed - congrats, ps3 is now online :D

Any more info you after buddy or just to clarify stuff feel free to ask or pm ;)
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

ok, wait, I've got turtle beach headphones and those are usb so I've already got what I need then.  yeah I'll buy extended warranty, anything with heat and vibration is bound to crap out sometime.
    My dad and I redid a Condo, totally fixed it up, and it's going to sell soon, have had an offer in for a while just waiting on some paper work and stuff... so once it does sell that's when I'll buy all this, or when killzone 2 comes out, whicher happens first hah.
    thanks everyone.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

Get the 160GB with the official headset, and then if you need help pairing and what not, I'll help you when you've actually got the system. It's all very very straight forward though. That's why I love the XMB.

ran2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ran2

buy a 20 gig buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148301 put that in there and get a headset

changgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By changgo

If you have the funds the official PS3 headset is a really nice piece of hardware.  When playing online you can tell pretty readily who is using it and who is not.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail

Get Metal Gear Solid 4 and Noby Noby Boy ASAP!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.