Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Opinions about Geohot's PS3 hack?

• 111 results
    max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By max3000

I just want to know what do you guys think after the BombCrew had a distaste for the news about this.

Honestly? I think it's wonderful. The PS3 has been a closed garden much like a stock iPhone.
    I can't wait for people to make it read NTFS drives, mkv file support, emulators (someone is working on a Dreamcast emulator which I find very excisting) and - yes - backup manager. Just having most of my library on my HDD instead of having to swap discs is, to me, very exciting.
    Downside is that obviously I wouldn't be able to connect to PSN without Sony banning the console. 
    Pirates? Yeah, not too worried. Pirates don't buy PS3s. They just go with a X360 or PC. You know what? Those people would benefit Sony by buying a console which they have previously ignored.

Just my 2 cents.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

The main problem imo is not piracy but the huge amount of cheaters that will suddenly flood  ps3 online gaming effectively ruining it, and now it seems that's just a matter of time. 

Personally I think given the nature of the breach found Sony won't be able to tell who's using pirated software and who's not.

@max3000

said:

" Pirates don't buy PS3s. They just go with a X360 or PC. You know what? Those people would benefit Sony by buying a console which they have previously ignored. "

Correction, pirates didn't buy ps3s because it was not fully cracked yet, well that just changed, also I seriously doubt Sony makes any money on hardware sales, at most they stopped losing money, but not profiting for sure, the bulk of their games division profit  comes from software.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I could have sworn that mkv support was already a feature. 

From what they were talking about though, it sounds real bad for Sony, which may end up being bad for Sony customers. The stuff they talked about with being able to easily hack without any hardware modification is crazy. It seems to me that this will only lead to a lot more locking-down in one way or another, if not this gen, then next.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Piracy is irrelevant, because the Ps3 has been pirate ready for ages now. This just adds home-brew support.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lautaro
    @nintendoeats said:

" Piracy is irrelevant, because the Ps3 has been pirate ready for ages now. This just adds home-brew support. "

It isn't irrelevant, now you don't need a special dongle to jailbreak the PS3. This will make it easier for the average person to hack it and thus possibly pirate.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Frankly, this looks bad for Sony, and I think Geohot is a petulant little shit.  Thanks to that motherfucker, another doorway to piracy has been opened, and god only knows what Sony might do in response to this.  They already tried the PSPGo and watched it tank.

Seriously, motherfuckers like Geohot should not be celebrated.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @onarum said:
    " The main problem imo is not piracy but the huge amount of cheaters that will suddenly flood  ps3 online gaming effectively ruining it, and now it seems that's just a matter of time."

There's already hacks and cheats for PS3 games. As much as I hate for him to do this, but my brother mentions all he does is take his save file (or the data file, don't know which one), puts it on his computer, and uses some program to install some data into it.  

Anyways, I'm actually glad this happened. Geohot did the right thing by bringing this out and allowing unofficial programs onto the PS3. Somehow he managed to keep backup managers from being on there. Not a bad thing of course because you know... don't pirate. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

If I can somehow run a damn Dreamcast Emulator and play homebrew shit and mods of single player games I'm buying a PS3 in an instant.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By nohthink
    @Hailinel said:
    " Frankly, this looks bad for Sony, and I think Geohot is a petulant little shit.  Thanks to that motherfucker, another doorway to piracy has been opened, and god only knows what Sony might do in response to this.  They already tried the PSPGo and watched it tank.  Seriously, motherfuckers like Geohot should not be celebrated. "
    Totally with this guy.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By onarum
    @ch13696 said:
    " @onarum said:
    " The main problem imo is not piracy but the huge amount of cheaters that will suddenly flood  ps3 online gaming effectively ruining it, and now it seems that's just a matter of time."

There's already hacks and cheats for PS3 games. As much as I hate for him to do this, but my brother mentions all he does is take his save file (or the data file, don't know which one), puts it on his computer, and uses some program to install some data into it. 
    I honestly didn't knew about that, god damn....

Also It's just a matter of time before they find out a way to run backup managers on the new method, using the signing and all on the latest FW.
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bearshamanbro

The scary thing to me is how easy this seems to be to set up. I fear this becoming really mainstream due to the ease of doing it and it wrecking the software sales environment for Sony's first party developers. Could you imagine if Uncharted 3 only sells 1 million copies because another 1-2 million pirated the game. That would be disastrous for them and potentially shut down studios as they have so much riding on each game. It's like the Dreamcast where people would have tons of burned CD's with labels on them (only easier to do than that). 

I realize that CFW does not equal Piracy necessarily and I have no inherent problem with CFW itself. I think it's great on phones and the XMBC on the original XBOX. However, this CFW in particular (from what I understand) just simplifies the process for pirating games, so it does have a direct and huge effect on piracy. I don't think it's as easy as having these general over-sweeping opinions on hacking and CFW in whichever way you tend to go in - you have to look at each instance and it's conditions. What I think is that this particular CFW hack threatens the PS3's status and I support any actions to shut it down because of this. I don't really care if it's Sony fault because they didn't make their system secure enough (which seems to be the case) or not. They may ultimately be wrong in all of this, but they have a greater responsibility to make sure the PS3 platform isn't compromised. Many people have a lot of money invested in their PS3 setup and don't care about someone being able to run some custom program on their machine. My main hope is that Sony can keep PSN secure and that devs get compensated for their work so that we can continure to have better and better games in the future.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By onarum

on the bright side though I really believe that this won't be much of a hit for sony because I have a strong suspicion that all the big 3 will be announcing their next gen consoles on this years E3, so basically their console got hacked on the very end of it's "life", no big deal, I'm sure they are taking all of this in consideration for their next one.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @max3000:
     Please stop getting all excited about this because the only people who are going to get hurt by this is the everyday gamer. Stand for the little guy and have that "us against the world" mentality but have logic when it's wanted.  Love or hate the big corporations but they are the ones making the games and the system we love to play it on. Are they the ones financing the games we love to play? Are they the ones giving us free online play? What do those hacker ever done for them? Fuck nothing. All they are doing is hurting the everyday gamer. What's even more amazing is the quote from Fail0verFlow trying to justify their deeds.

"LEGAL TOOLS that do not contain any keys or any SONY software created by the team fail0verflow (please clone this repository and avoid to the big fish eats the small fish using the money and the recurses of one Multinational against talented people that seeking new hombrew uses in the PS3 console and the return of Linux)"

1. They  deliberately went out after those keys. 
    2. Like they weren't going to release it and make a profit out of it .
    3. They had four years to come out with  usable  apps,  legally , and nothing came out them.  

People don't get it, they didn't just hacked the system, they have complete controle over it. If Sony puts out a firmware they can put one that can force you to downgrade. They can hack YOUR psn account and take your credit card information, city, address, and they can do with it what ever they want. And they have gone and released it over the internet so creeps with no life can ruin yours. Sony had no option but to sue in order to protect themselves from user suing them when they get their identity stolen.  

So they went and released all the tools, code, software, etc over the net with the full intent of extorting Sony only to give Sony a case as solid as a rock. They are fucked. They released a can of worms. This law suit might not stop hacking but I bet tears will be rolling down when those hackers are getting fucked, literal, from behind while wearing lipstick.  

Look, I'm all for homebrew but you didn't buy a PS3 in order to use homebrew on it. You bought it for the games. And lets face it, there nothing this hack will give you that already can;t do on your computer. 

Please grow up.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By benjaebe

As if we needed another thread on this.
    I'd be really, really careful if I intended to homebrew or CFW my PS3 because there's no doubt in my mind Sony can (and will) end up banning people if this gets big. Digital Foundry already published an article explaining that Sony might have a lot more control over the console than you think, which you can read HERE.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Simplexity
    @Hailinel:  If they made it more secure people like mr Geohot wouldn't be able to hack it, it's Sony's fault.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60
    @Hailinel said:
    " Frankly, this looks bad for Sony, and I think Geohot is a petulant little shit.  Thanks to that motherfucker, another doorway to piracy has been opened, and god only knows what Sony might do in response to this.  They already tried the PSPGo and watched it tank.  Seriously, motherfuckers like Geohot should not be celebrated. "
    I don't think you fully know what this hack is. Piracy has been available on the PS3 loooong before this.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'm on the fence, if all that comes of this is huge amounts of piracy, then I don't see how this is good in the long run. If a thriving homebrew community can get behind it and create interesting software that enhances the PS3's abilities, that would be interesting. I'll wait and see, but I;m not eager to work any voodoo on my system just yet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @Prodstep said:
    " @Hailinel:  If they made it more secure people like mr Geohot wouldn't be able to hack it, it's Sony's fault. "
    Oh, fun.  This argument again.

It is true that Sony made some mistakes in how they secured the PS3.  That does not, however, excuse the hackers for hacking the console.  The PS3 could have been locked down tighter than Fort Knox on high alert and that still wouldn't stop people from trying to break into it.  You might as well say that it was the victim's fault his wallet got stolen because he wasn't wearing a wallet chain when his pocket was picked.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @CL60 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    I don't think you fully know what this hack is. Piracy has been available on the PS3 loooong before this. "
    True, but this will make piracy all the more easy to commit, not to mention open the door for other issues.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jack268

Piracy is bad hurr hurr but if I can get a PS2 emulator, one of the PS3's advertised functions, and put my PS2 away again, I'll be glad. I'd prefer if Sony themselves would do it, but whatevs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

Opinion? So they cracked something, big deal, won't change how I use my PS3. Which is for blu-rays and the occasional exclusive. 

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Simplexity
    @Hailinel:  Correct me if I am wrong but, that geohot dude didn't actually steal anything tho, he just kinda opened the door.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jack268 said:
    " Piracy is bad hurr hurr but if I can get a PS2 emulator, one of the PS3's advertised functions, and put my PS2 away again, I'll be glad. I'd prefer if Sony themselves would do it, but whatevs. "
    I'm curious.  I know Sony is no longer supporting it, but what was the last model of PS3 that supported PS2 game software emulation?  They at least made a cursory attempt at it before abandoning it in favor of selling more PS2s.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @Prodstep said:
    " @Hailinel:  Correct me if I am wrong but, that geohot dude didn't actually steal anything tho, he just kinda opened the door. "
    Yes, he opened the door, and then shared how to do so with the entirety of the goddamn internet.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By blackbird415

Just shows support linux or gtfo. Like they said, either a piece of hardware has linux on it or it will get hacked and with hacking comes piracy. Companies dont want pc gaming around because its not a closed system. Companies want a closed product system so they can control products to the fullest extent. I understand on both ends the ridiculousness of it all. Consumers wanting to control every aspect of their product even when its unnecessary and companies being control crazy over their products. Its all shit

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By max3000
    @Mordukai: 
    As much as what you are saying is totally valid, I really don't appreciate you telling me (and others with the same opinion as me) to "grow up".

My point is that this won't hurt Sony's software sales. People who bought a PS3 buy games and they will keep buying them.
    I'm rejoiced because I can see the possibility to make my PS3 do more than it already can. Sure, I can do all of those things on my PC but so can anyone - and a lot of people buy HTPCs/Settop boxes. Why is that? Convenience.
    Sure, I can take out my old SNES/DC/whatever, get some special converter and plug it into my TV but it's too much of a hassle. I can just do it with an emulator on my PS3. Just thinking about playing Mario Kart with my friends again is incredible. 
    I think an even bigger problem is buying used. It cannot be enforced and the publisher/developer don't get any money for that.

About the security issues. Yeah, I'm kind of paranoid about that. We'll see how that will turn out. 

FYI - you can already run a backup manager with the new CFW. People can already run the new Castlevania with it and it's a matter of days before it can basically run anything.

Personally I don't know if I will actually install the CFW because I play a lot of online games on PSN.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai
    @max3000: We'll see how you feel when your information is stolen. Wanna hack your PS3? Fine by me. Just don't come on these boards bitching when Sony not only bans you but remote fries your system. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm sure sony REALLY likes it too buddy....

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Hope Dolphin emulator is ported with Move support. That would be hilarious.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten

Thoughts: Now the poor students can "afford" games too! woooo... 

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By UncleDisco
    @benjaebe: That is one HELL of a post count you have there...
    max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By max3000
    @Mordukai:  As I have wrote before - It might be an issue. I'm not ignoring that.

I'll just let this issue play out to see what happens to early adopters.
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Colin

Some people are making it sound like it's the end of the PS3 because it's been hacked which I find rather funny.   Also the people going on about putting emulators on there PS3, why not just download the many emulators that are on the PC? Well I guess if you have a shit computer it might not run very well but  I'm sure most computers now of days can run emulators fairly well.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

it might help them in a way. some people might be interested in hacking the ps3 into homebrew stuff. my friend just did the tool. so far he downloaded another person's dead rising 2 save. i got to see the ending of dead rising 2 without having to put in the long hours. i still plan on beating it some day. 

i would want to do it because of emulators that i could put on it. maybe put a ps2 one because backwards compatible isn't coming out.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By l4wd0g

I think this may kill the PS3. Games will be hacked ,and  there will be a huge increase in piracy. 

This is good if you like to steal stuff, but extremely  bad if you like video games.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ch13696
    @l4wd0g said:
    " I think this may kill the PS3. Games will be hacked ,and  there will be a huge increase in piracy.    This is good if you like to steal stuff, but extremely  bad if you like video games. "
    If this is the case, then wouldn't the 360 be dead already? Or the DS? 

Anyways, does everyone know that Geohots CFW only allows homebrew software and no piracy. If you want to brag about piracy then I suggest you follow Flukes1 and Netkas. They're the ones trying to work on a backup manager.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Enigma777
    @max3000 said:
    " I just want to know what do you guys think after the BombCrew had a distaste for the news about this.  Honestly? I think it's wonderful. The PS3 has been a closed garden much like a stock iPhone. I can't wait for people to make it read NTFS drives, mkv file support, emulators (someone is working on a Dreamcast emulator which I find very excisting) and - yes - backup manager. Just having most of my library on my HDD instead of having to swap discs is, to me, very exciting. Downside is that obviously I wouldn't be able to connect to PSN without Sony banning the console.  Pirates? Yeah, not too worried. Pirates don't buy PS3s. They just go with a X360 or PC. You know what? Those people would benefit Sony by buying a console which they have previously ignored.  Just my 2 cents. "
    You forgot all the Trophy and multiplayer hacking that's going to emerge from this. Hell there's already an application that unlocks trophies. 

I know the PS3 software has some faults and limitations, but the trade-off is much, much worse imo. Geohot and the failoverflow guys are assholes and I hope they get what's coming to them.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By l4wd0g
    @ch13696 said:

" @l4wd0g said:

" I think this may kill the PS3. Games will be hacked ,and  there will be a huge increase in piracy.    This is good if you like to steal stuff, but extremely  bad if you like video games. "
    If this is the case, then wouldn't the 360 be dead already? Or the DS?  Anyways, does everyone know that Geohots CFW only allows homebrew software and no piracy. If you want to brag about piracy then I suggest you follow Flukes1 and Netkas. They're the ones trying to work on a backup manager. "

They have mad chips(360) or R4 Card (DS), but as far as I know, the system architecture remains intact.   The PS3 hack allow them to control everything (blu-ray, firmware updates, games etc) . Firmware can't fix this problem. 

All of those 1st party Sony games scheduled to release this year will be last we see of those games until PS4.
    Worst case scenario, the PS4 is launched a lot sooner than expected. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By l4wd0g
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @max3000 said:
    " I just want to know what do you guys think after the BombCrew had a distaste for the news about this.  Honestly? I think it's wonderful. The PS3 has been a closed garden much like a stock iPhone. I can't wait for people to make it read NTFS drives, mkv file support, emulators (someone is working on a Dreamcast emulator which I find very excisting) and - yes - backup manager. Just having most of my library on my HDD instead of having to swap discs is, to me, very exciting. Downside is that obviously I wouldn't be able to connect to PSN without Sony banning the console.  Pirates? Yeah, not too worried. Pirates don't buy PS3s. They just go with a X360 or PC. You know what? Those people would benefit Sony by buying a console which they have previously ignored.  Just my 2 cents. "
    You forgot all the Trophy and multiplayer hacking that's going to emerge from this. Hell there's already an application that unlocks trophies.  I know the PS3 software has some faults and limitations, but the trade-off is much, much worse imo. Geohot and the failoverflow guys are assholes and I hope they get what's coming to them. "
    Don't most people who want to inflate their trophy count just download a save game from the internet?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy

I just seen on a few websites that hackers can easily unlock specific trophies and assign random dates to them. How the hell is there now a way to tell if someone hacked those trophies or not? 

Because on the 360 you can obviously tell when someone hacked their achievements. All of their games are 100%ed all of a sudden and there is either no time stamp on all of them or the same time stamp on all. But this trophy hacking thing looks like you can easily mask it. And it's this early into the game, who knows what else they'll come up with. Another thing to mention is that on the 360 all you have to do is report them and they lose all their points or get their 360 banned from online, or both.  

I once filed a few complaints against this one guy  (it was quite obvious he hacked) and what do you know about a month later all his games showed up as played, but they ALL had 0 GS. I don't know if he had to get a new xbox or not though. Needless to say, I felt satisfied :D 

In terms of other areas, I'm excited to see what they can do. I know the wonders of jailbreaking firsthand as my sister has her iPhone jailbroken and it really makes the device 10 times better. I can't imagine having a non-jailbroken iPhone after using it. I'm thinking the same thing will happen to the PS3 :D This hack looks really easy to do as well, all he did was put a USB drive in and voila.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By wwfundertaker

They'll figure a way to stop the hacking and besides only a small percentage out of the user base will hack their console.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy
    @wwfundertaker said:
    " They'll figure a way to stop the hacking and besides only a small percentage out of the user base will hack their console. "
    As stated by the hackers, they found the core code that the PS3 uses to verify things. This isn't something you can just change via a firmware update - they would have to change the hardware of the PS3, something that's not going to happen with the 40+ million consoles that are in homes right now. Maybe for future consoles but there is nothing they can do for the ones currently out there, in other words: their whole current user base. 

Why do you think Sony hasn't issued a firmware update to combat this? Usually they would have by now, it's been almost 2 weeks. The truth is they don't know what to do
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alphiehyr

He goes down, someone takes his spot. This is a cycle - no point discussing this. A waste of time.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Enigma777
    @l4wd0g: No, it doesn't work like that.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By benpicko
    @Hailinel said:
    And motherfuckers like you should do a little bit of research before calling him a petulant little shit.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ch13696
    @l4wd0g said:
    " @ch13696 said:

" @l4wd0g said:

If this is the case, then wouldn't the 360 be dead already? Or the DS?  Anyways, does everyone know that Geohots CFW only allows homebrew software and no piracy. If you want to brag about piracy then I suggest you follow Flukes1 and Netkas. They're the ones trying to work on a backup manager. "
     They have mad chips(360) or R4 Card (DS), but as far as I know, the system architecture remains intact.   The PS3 hack allow them to control everything (blu-ray, firmware updates, games etc) . Firmware can't fix this problem.    All of those 1st party Sony games scheduled to release this year will be last we see of those games until PS4. Worst case scenario, the PS4 is launched a lot sooner than expected.  "
    They done away with the mod chips on the 360. Now you can either JTag your system (allows piracy, emulators, and free XBLA games), or you can flash your DVD drive (which just allows burned games and is less noticeable). I'm telling you right now, this PS3 custom firmware is not going to hurt Sony as much as you think it is. There was only one game that they announced that has been able to work pirated and that's Castlevania. Every other game that people have tried to pirate doesn't work. 

I give the hackers about a year till  they make the backup manager in order to play pirated games. Even then people won't be able to play online if they don't want to get caught. Think about it, in the "what you're playing" section below your username on your friends list, if you use a backup manager, it's going to show the backup manager and not the game when you're playing. 
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By zameer

I think he's a really bright guy who should get a job that would let him harness these talents for less morally ambiguous means.  

I also fail to see how this will adversely affect Sony. Their market share here in Asia is still ~53% although modded 360s have been available for years. Pretty strange, since piracy is very much a viable option down here. I even recall reading an article that attributed the PS2's dominance in the last generation to piracy.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty

I'm all for it. You can already get NES emulators. 

I probably won't bother doing it but it's nice to have the option.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cgoodno
    @max3000 said:

"  Pirates? Yeah, not too worried. Pirates don't buy PS3s. They just go with a X360 or PC. You know what? Those people would benefit Sony by buying a console which they have previously ignored.  Just my 2 cents. "

I always chuckle a lot when I see this.  Seriously?  You can be a pirate and buy games as well.  People who always pirate aren't going to buy a PS3 until it supports their piracy, true.  But, there are people who currently own a PS3 and will definitely pirate single-player games if the option exists.   That's like saying that people who pirate movies and music never buy them either.

As far as my take on GeoHot, the issue here isn't that he hecked the PS3, it's that he distributed the meltdr keys and modified PSN specific-code that is Sony's IP and should be covered under copyright law.  Of course, knowing our legal system's actions in the past, this will result in GeoHot being fine and companies will work on more ways to punish customers because the legal system doesn't support their rights of IP protection.
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cgoodno
    @Prodstep said:
    " @Hailinel:  If they made it more secure people like mr Geohot wouldn't be able to hack it, it's Sony's fault. "
    That's impossible.  Every single piece of software and hardware can and has/will be hacked/modified.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.