Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Playstation 3 Trophies? Well...I liked the idea

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Does anyone understand what is going on with PS3 trophies, or the lack thereof? So far, I've enjoyed the interface (percentage completion, ranked objectives, etc.). But with only Super Stardust HD having them, I have to wonder where they are? Just looking at Stardust, any game getting them patched in will practically sell itself, because people seem to want them.

Does anyone know when things will be added, or once games get trophies, how we will find out? I for one am waiting for Uncharted to get them.
    thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thelastguy

Uncharted and Warhawk are getting trophies soon.  It is up to the devs to implement it.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SonicFire

Well, that much is good news, I'm willing to get copies of both as soon as they're patched in (I know that most games won't activate retroactively, so no point in jumping the gun). 

I think there needs to be some sort of system that lets us know when said trophies are available. 

This whole thing strangely reminds me of the PS3's bass akwards launch..
    MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasterSplinter

I believe Pain is getting trophies soon, as well. But as far as past games implementing trophies, it is up to the developer as thelastguy said. I do believe it was said that starting in 2009, all games will have trophy support.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Randolph

They need to be more sensible about going about such updates though, the Stardust HD update was botched.  You had to delete your current saved game to download it, but no warning was given that this was the case, so it would just restart the system every time you tried to download it.  It was a hassle to figure out, and I don't like idea of starting over again in all my games, at all.

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pikachu
    thelastguy said:
    "Uncharted and Warhawk are getting trophies soon.  It is up to the devs to implement it.
    "
    it would be nice for uncharted to get them, it would even more replay value to it, aside from the unlockables.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SonicFire

Wow, I didn't realize that Stardust was bugged; I downloaded it after it got the trophy setup. And yes re-doing games isn't too great. I had that experience on X360, I had about 10k gamerscore, then launched a new live profile that somehow overwrote everything I had before. I replayed some of my better games (such as Oblivion and Gears) but I'm still looking at a lot of titles that I'd like to have the points for, but just don't want to reinvest in (like Blue Dragon or Crackdown). 

It's just a shame it's not working right yet, because PSN is really starting to look good, IMO.
    Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

A bunch of games will have it soon. Uncharted will have them by or before mid-August. PixelJunk Eden will launch with them on the 31st. Warhawk will have them this summer.

Before you know it, every game you want this fall will have them.

Bilawal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Bilawal

until uncharted actually gets them, then I'll be dandy.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
    AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AmericanPegasus

What I don't get is why everyone cries when the 360 copied the Wii's Mii idea. But it's ok for Sony to copy the idea of achievements.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Otacon

I'm intrigued, haven't got any yet but when Uncharted gets them I will be playing that through again.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SonicFire

Well, we'll see, but I definitely feel a better sense of accomplishment with the gold/silver/bronze/platinum distinction, because you can quite literally see how much you've been able to get through the game. 

Josh9989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Josh9989

I'm ready play through quite a few games again, with Trophies being a added extra. I just think they needed to get the devs to support it months before release. Shows their forward planning if anything...

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By OGCartman

PS3 Trophies looks really cool. I dont think there as good as achievments but still cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is a better system than achievements, and im not alone on that point. So now its just for the support, which is coming in so I dont need to worry...

For me it's mainly about future titles, and so far many will support trophies, and those that dont will get a patch later on. As for older games, I can live without trophies for 'em, but older games are getting support too soo... The 'I am gong to get X on 360 vs PS3 because of achievments' no longer really applies...

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Sentry said:
    "I think it is a better system than achievements, and im not alone on that point. So now its just for the support, which is coming in so I dont need to worry...

For me it's mainly about future titles, and so far many will support trophies, and those that dont will get a patch later on. As for older games, I can live without trophies for 'em, but older games are getting support too soo... The 'I am gong to get X on 360 vs PS3 because of achievments' no longer really applies..."
    OMFG!!! It's Sentry AGAIN! Stop following me. ;-P
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SonicFire

I think in the end, it's going to be interesting to see how the two competing systems change buying preferences (or don't change them). I know that I used to pick up titles on X360 because of the achievements. What's funny about that is that I don't really care about my Gamerscore (I'm probably a little over 10k), I just like having milestones to work towards; I find that in many cases I'll play a game longer than normal to cross everything off. 

But with both systems doing that now, it's going to be a difficult call. In some cases we'll be able to tell graphical differences, but I might find myself gravitating towards PS3, as MGS4 really opened my eyes to what the system can do. I don't think I'll have to make that decision until later though, because (unfortunately) details about trophy support just barely trickle in...
    Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shinedown220

Burnout Paradise is also supposed to be getting Trophies soon.

I definitly can't wait until all future games support Trophies.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DirrtyNinja

The sales of Stardust rocketed when trophies where introduced. However i think the slowness of more games having them and games like Rachet and others saying they will not add trophies has tainted things. Plus the fact that the 360 gamescore has got alot of people hooked, i cant see them jumping whole heartedly into trophies. Well thats how i feel about it anyway.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By banksrob

if you had trophies from the start it would of worked

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By Spiritof
    AmericanPegasus said:
    "

What I don't get is why everyone cries when the 360 copied the Wii's Mii idea. But it's ok for Sony to copy the idea of achievements.

"
    And yet here you are crying about people NOT crying about it.

Ain't irony grand?
    pimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By pimsy

sony should have made it mandatory for all games to have trophies not just if they feel like it

mrzeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By mrzeal

I don't really care about trophies or achievements or whatever you want to call it... I can be good in one game and playing online I'll show you, but trophies!? who cares!? Maybe wen more games have it I get more interested / excited about it, but not for now...

shalom :)

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

I don't really care about trophies. As long as they come out I'm ok. All I want is good games.

Cman107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cman107
    AmericanPegasus said:
    "

"

No, I think both received the same amount of cries from the Fanboys.
    Juxiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Juxiang

If a developer really takes the time to think of some creative trophies, then I'll be interested in trying to get them. But if I'm getting a Bronze for beating the game on easy, Silver for Normal, and Gold for Hard....lame.

vdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vdy
    Juxiang said:
    "If a developer really takes the time to think of some creative trophies, then I'll be interested in trying to get them. But if I'm getting a Bronze for beating the game on easy, Silver for Normal, and Gold for Hard....lame.
    "
    i agree.
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lemegeton

i have all the stardust trophies so like everyone im just waiting for more games to get them. hopefully it wont take too long for it to get up to steam

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NinjaMunkey

Uncharted and warhawk are getting them. I dont have any trophies yet but I have warhawk and might get uncharted. I thin all of the exclusive games coming out should have them. Just wait a little, it was never going to happen instantly.

sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sizu

It would be nice to know what upcoming games will be supporting them.  Not so much from Sony studios as we know that they will but titles from 3rd parties like EA, Acti, Ubi etc

Aekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aekon
    SonicFire said:
    Just looking at Stardust, any game getting them patched in will practically sell itself, because people seem to want them.

[...]

I think there needs to be some sort of system that lets us know when said trophies are available.

I think you are right on the money on both accounts.

Sony should maintain a list of Trophy support status (e.g. available, coming, not coming, etc). There are some unofficial lists but this is really Sony's duty. But then, Sony has a lot of problems in this department, they need to look at how Microsoft handles these things: they have a very integrated system (which, granted is sometimes a little too constraining), they communicate better (look at that "Major Nelson" character) and they are thinking ahead and generally more on the ball when it comes to stuff like this. Sony has their official blog now though, which helps a lot, but it's not enough.

I think Sony is a very split company (geographically and in terms of different branches), no one talks to each other. They are also a hardware company, whereas Microsoft is a software company. And guess what, it shows: Microsoft's RRoD and Sony's software.

On the plus side, I think trophies are more meaningful than just "points" and I heard Trophies will be mandatory for games coming out in 2009.
    lawblob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lawblob

The rollout of Trophies was definitely underwhelming.  Like many things with the PS3, Sony has managed to turn what should be a core feature into a stumbling endeavor.

I am excited for Trophies in upcoming  releases, but in the mean-time, I doubt I will go back and re-play old games when they get retroactively patched for Trophies. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss
    lawblob said:
    "The rollout of Trophies was definitely underwhelming. "
    Yup, and because of this my jury is still out on the Trophy system.
    The concept is there but the success and quality of it is gonna hinge heavily on how well it's supported.

If it turns out to be a crap shoot, "this game has em, this one doesn't" I don't know if it'll end up sticking like the "standardized and mandatory for every game" achievement system.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AaronBelfast
    SonicFire said:
    "Wow, I didn't realize that Stardust was bugged; I downloaded it after it got the trophy setup. And yes re-doing games isn't too great. I had that experience on X360, I had about 10k gamerscore, then launched a new live profile that somehow overwrote everything I had before. I replayed some of my better games (such as Oblivion and Gears) but I'm still looking at a lot of titles that I'd like to have the points for, but just don't want to reinvest in (like Blue Dragon or Crackdown). 

It's just a shame it's not working right yet, because PSN is really starting to look good, IMO.
    "

No point in playing games just for a picture or number my friend
    Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just be patient. I cant imagine games not supporting them. Surely it isnt that hard to just use the same achievements as the 360 version and change the code where needed.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By marc

It takes time. Trophies are not something they can slap in the games over night. They will get bigger and bigger as time goes on, and soon enough we will have trophy whores all over the place.

11samype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 11samype

I think Bionic Commando Rearmed will support them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah like I said I think they will be great, and are the best take on the concept we saw many many years ago, but until games support them they mean nothing. And thankfully, games are supporting them, one by one. Mainly all future releases have them, and all games in 09 will most likely have them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont worry, in 2009 Sony is supposedly going to make it mandatory for all games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

11samype said:
    "I think Bionic Commando Rearmed will support them.
    "

I don't think at launch but most likely a few weeks or so down the line.
    verybadbeetle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By verybadbeetle

Sony isn't going to make trophy support mandatory right away. Too many games in the pipeline for this Holiday season and imposing trophy support on those games would most likely delay them. I would say any game released post Spring 09 will have integrated trophy support.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Clean

I lost interest when nobody really had them. It got boring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It got boring lol, how long have they been out now? A year or so? No.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By smallville123
    Shinedown220 said:
    "Burnout Paradise is also supposed to be getting Trophies soon.

I definitly can't wait until all future games support Trophies."
    And retroactive lets not forget!
    epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By epic_pets

Im waiting for more support on the trophie things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.