Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So i just bought a PS3

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Spam101

I've had my 360 for ages so I'm only interested in the exclusives

I need recommendations on what games i need to pick up. I already grabbed MAG, Confrontation, motorstorm, genji, killzone 2

i.e. should i start at resistance 1 or 2 are they worth it, is it essential to the story etc as i don't have a huge amount of time to play games.

The console came with uncharted 3. Am i going to hurt my experience if i don't play through them in order.

and finally and most importantly. Is socom 4 a worthy successor to socom 2?

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JoeyIA

I just got a PS3 in February. You can start with Resistance 3 and not miss much, they recap the story at the beginning of the game.

I played some of Uncharted 1 and 2, but not much, and I was fine going through 3. The 1st half of 3 is all about how Nate and Sully met anyway. Lots of people don't like Uncharted 1, there's a demo on PSN you can try. Uncharted 1 & 2 collection is 30 or 40 bucks too.

No, stay way from SOCOM 4 and Confrontation.

Personally, I'd recommend the Ratchet & Clank games, but that's just me.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Kierkegaard

I think there're a lot of topics of this sort. But, if you're asking, the Infamous games are good. Uncharted 2 is superior to 3. Might as well buy the double pack. Heavy Rain is really interesting and involving, but hunker down for some dark shit. Flower is wonderful, as are the pixel junk games on the download front. Haven't tried Journey yet but it sounds pretty good. I agree the Ratchet games are really good. MGS4 is worth it especially considering how cheap it is now. Probably more that aren't coming to me right away, but that's a damn good start for now. Have fun!

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Go buy a Yakuza game.

Not the zombies one.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheKramer89

"try Uncharted" will be the theme of this thread.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't really think you need to play the Uncharted games in order. The stories are all pretty much separate from each other, with the exception of introducing some characters.

Honestly, just play Resistance 3, don't worry too much about the first two. They'll be explained in the third, and the story isn't all that interesting anyway. But the gameplay in 3 is solid.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

You can skip Uncharted 1, but Uncharted 2 is a must. It's better than Uncharted 3 when it comes to the single player (The Multiplayer in 3 is better, though). Just go to Resistance 3. I hear Journey is really good, actually just picked it up but haven't played it yet. LBP 2 is awesome, seeing as it includes all of the levels from the first one. Oh, and Heavy Rain is also great.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mosespippy

It seems that you are into shooters. I think the Starhawk Beta is still available so download that and give it a shot. I liked Warhawk but it's not the sort of thing that new players can get into anymore since the only people playing now have been around for 4 years (hell, 1 guy even has 1 year of play time).

I don't think you are the sort of person who would like Heavy Rain. If you wouldn't watch French cinema then it's not the game for you.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is the best Motorstorm game. I haven't played Monument Valley but I assume it's the second best based on how bad the other Motorstorm games are.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WMWA

You should probably try Uncharted

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted, Rachet and Clank.

Also Congratulations on the Ps3, the best dust collector after the Wii.

( i know this from personal experience )

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WMWA

Metal Gear Solid 4. God of War 3. Dead Space 2 is awesome on PS3 because it comes with Extraction as well, if you haven't played it yet.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Get Folklore. Put your Sixaxis to work. Do it or the boogeyman will come and get you.

And by boogeyman I mean me and by 'come and get you' I mean tie you to a chair and make you play.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671
    Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

It seems that you are into shooters. I think the Starhawk Beta is still available so download that and give it a shot. I liked Warhawk but it's not the sort of thing that new players can get into anymore since the only people playing now have been around for 4 years (hell, 1 guy even has 1 year of play time).

I don't think you are the sort of person who would like Heavy Rain. If you wouldn't watch French cinema then it's not the game for you.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is the best Motorstorm game. I haven't played Monument Valley but I assume it's the second best based on how bad the other Motorstorm games are.

That's kinda a generalization don't you think?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

METAL GEAR SOLID 4

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mandude

@BabyChooChoo said:

Get Folklore. Put your Sixaxis to work. Do it or the boogeyman will come and get you.

And by boogeyman I mean me and by 'come and get you' I mean tie you to a chair and make you play.

Is this actually any good? I had a friend tell me it was terrible, but it could have been his bias...

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Are people playing MAG?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671
    @mandude said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Is this actually any good? I had a friend tell me it was terrible, but it could have been his bias...

Try Lost Kingdoms or Lost Kingdoms II ( GCN) instead.  They have a better version of essentially the same combat system.
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By awesomeusername

@Spam101 said:

I already grabbed MAG, Confrontation, motorstorm, genji, killzone 2

i.e. should i start at resistance 1 or 2 are they worth it, is it essential to the story etc as i don't have a huge amount of time to play games.

The console came with uncharted 3. Am i going to hurt my experience if i don't play through them in order.

MAG and Socom aren't good choices really. Unless you really like the premise of Resistance, don't get it. It's not one of the best PS3 franchises but I still like it. The Uncharted games don't have to be played in order.

God of War Collection, Origin Collection and God of War 3

Any other PS3 exclusive collections like Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2

LittleBigPlanet 2

Heavy Rain

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time. You could just watch walkthroughs for the first 2 unless you buy the dual pack that comes with Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time and download Quest for Booty which is $15 on PSN. Also, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One is a decent 4 player co-op game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 if your into that franchise.

Killzone 3 if you like shooting Helghast in Killzone 2.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Spam101 :  You finally get round to buying A PS3 and you buy Genji Days of the Blade? What in the world possessed you to do that?
    Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shookems

Yo Infamous festival of blood is five bucks right now on PSN, it's worth checking out and if you dig it you can get infamous 2 from there.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is also a must. Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection, God of War III, and Little Big Planet 2 are also good buys.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

@Spoonman671 said:

@mandude said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Try Lost Kingdoms or Lost Kingdoms II ( GCN) instead. They have a better version of essentially the same combat system.

Well, I'd mainly be playing as a fan of Irish mythology. I have a feeling that it's a bad thing to be a fan of while playing that game, though.

Don't have a gamecube. :(

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By drac96

If you're into RPGS get Disgea 3 and 4. They're not for everyone though.

Also get Valkyraia Chronicles, because it's great.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@mandude said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

I think so. I'm not gonna sit here and lie to you: I think there are obviously much, much better games, but I still think Folklore is an amazing game anyway. I also stand by my opinion stating it's the best game to ever use the SIxaxis.

Story is great. Gameplay is fun. Some nice variety. I say give it a shot.

That said, you friend hated it and I loved it so clearly it must not be for everyone haha. I say if you find that you and him share a lot of the same tastes when it comes to gaming, then skip it. As much I love and praise the game, you certainly won't be missing out on 'gaming history' or anyhting like that. If you are willing to give it a shot then watch some videos and reviews and stuff and then rent it.

edit: gaaaaaah I totally forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. I do think you should play that. Like seriously or I will make you lol...

...no. Seriously.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ImaTreee

MGS 4, Uncharted Series, Journey, Last Guardian (coming soon hopefully)

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GooieGreen

If you don't buy any other game, you have to get Heavy Rain. Excellent game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By BoOzak
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jozzy

First thing i would buy if i ever get a ps3 is demons souls, and journey.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EVO

@Dagbiker said:

Congratulations on the Ps3, the best dust collector after the Wii.

I've barely touched my 360 since Saints Row 3.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoOzak

@jozzy: I really enjoyed Demon's Souls but i'd say Dark Souls beats it in almost every way. Takes awhile to adjust though if you're used to Demon's Souls.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By MetalBaofu
    plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By plaintomato

I bought PS3 a while ago with the same thought process as the OP: there were finally enough exclusives to warrant it. Demon's Souls had been out for a long time by then, but it was the game that tipped the scales along with GT5 coming out.

I tried Motorstorm, Resistance 1&2, Killzone, Uncharted 1&2 and Infamous. None of them were worth a console purchase, and all of them have sequels I didn't bother to try because the experience offered by each game was so mediocre. Uncharted and Killzone had pretty graphics sure, but...whatever, the same old mediocre arcade racers and shooters. Infamous was almost fun, but having to play as some pre-teen baditude mr too cool was too lame for me to put up with for long. GT5 was great, but no better than Forza.

There are two reasons I stuck with the PS3: the Logitech G27 and fewer hackers to deal with in multiplayer games. If Microsoft could put the kibosh on hackers and allow some third parties to develop half-decent peripherals I would be on the 360. But Microsoft can't do that, and those are deal breakers.

Sooo...games worth playing now that you've got a PS3? All the same stuff you can play on Xbox, or relative equivalents (i.e. GT5/Forza). With Dark Souls on Xbox too, there's no single game worth owning either system for, though MGS4 comes damn close...it's just hard to say "buy" on account of a single game. If you'd like a library of last gen games to access...then clearly Xbox is the only way to go, which is too bad considering all of those great PS2 exclusives (way to drop the ball Sony); I wouldn't mind some San Andreas now and again but...only available on the 360, se la vie thanks to the 360 deal breakers.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By mosespippy

@ThePhantomStranger said:

@mosespippy said:

That's kinda a generalization don't you think?

I'm not saying that I think everyone who doesn't like foreign films won't like Heavy Rain. I was talking specifically to the original poster (whom I'm absolutely am making generalizations about). Based on his interest in MAG, SOCOM, Killzone and Resistance I'm making the assumption that he's a dudebro chud and therefore Heavy Rain isn't for him in a similar way that French cinema isn't for him. I could be wrong though. He might actually enjoy more thematically challenging subject matter with a focus on characterization and emotions. In that case he would be the sort of person who would both watch French cinema and enjoy Heavy Rain.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StrikeALight

I think Demon's Souls is the best PS3 exclusive. Cheap now and very much worth a look (if you like challenging games).

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By majormitch

@BabyChooChoo said:

gaaaaaah I totally forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. I do think you should play that. Like seriously or I will make you lol...

...no. Seriously.

I second the recommendation for Valkyria Chronicles.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spam101

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@Spam101 : You finally get round to buying A PS3 and you buy Genji Days of the Blade? What in the world possessed you to do that?

it was 98p as game are shutting down. everything i picked up was under 3 quid.

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Go buy a Yakuza game.

Not the zombies one.

I have ordered yakuza 4, saw a good deal

@Dagbiker said:

Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted, Rachet and Clank.

Also Congratulations on the Ps3, the best dust collector after the Wii.

and yeh it's already collecting dust. At the moment due to being in the middle of ME3 onmy 360.

Good to know i can fire up uncharted 3. I'll keep my eyes out for 2 on the cheap.

a lot more people than i thought must watch french cinema.

I definitely want to experience heavy rain at some point, played a bit of Fahrenheit, was interesting.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spam101

I started uncharted 3 tonight. It's got some pretty cool stuff goin on. More 2moro when i'm back from work i think.

Thinkin deep on MGS as it's so highly regarded. Is there any point playing MGS without having played any of the others. I want to find a copy of twin snakes and then play the HD collection... but that's a serious undertaking. Plus i pretty much suck at the core gameplay.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#38  Edited By liquidmatt

@awesomeusername said:

@Spam101 said:

I already grabbed MAG, Confrontation, motorstorm, genji, killzone 2

MAG and Socom aren't good choices really. Unless you really like the premise of Resistance, don't get it. It's not one of the best PS3 franchises but I still like it. The Uncharted games don't have to be played in order.

God of War Collection, Origin Collection and God of War 3

Any other PS3 exclusive collections like Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2

LittleBigPlanet 2

Heavy Rain

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time. You could just watch walkthroughs for the first 2 unless you buy the dual pack that comes with Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time and download Quest for Booty which is $15 on PSN. Also, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One is a decent 4 player co-op game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 if your into that franchise.

Killzone 3 if you like shooting Helghast in Killzone 2.

This man speaks the truth! (Minus Ratchet and Clank, I always preferred Jak and Daxter)

Also, you might consider Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is on X360 but I personally swing towards Demon's more.

Also, Journey and Super Stardust HD if you don't have much time, both can be played in short sittings.

And you might want to consider playing Uncharted 2 if you enjoy 3, many people prefer 2 and it's probably pretty cheap by now.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grixxel

@Spam101 said:

I started uncharted 3 tonight. It's got some pretty cool stuff goin on. More 2moro when i'm back from work i think.

Thinkin deep on MGS as it's so highly regarded. Is there any point playing MGS without having played any of the others. I want to find a copy of twin snakes and then play the HD collection... but that's a serious undertaking. Plus i pretty much suck at the core gameplay.

Yeeeeeah, don't bother playing MGS4 if you have no idea what's going on in the plot and such. I mean, it's still a good game but if you've never played anyone of em just jumping into 4 might be too much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Justin258

@Spam101 said:

Skip Resistance 1 and 2 and just pick up 3. You can play Halo 3 again and get what Resistance 2 was going for in a far better package. I'll say that Resistance 1 is good but not great. As a launch title, it was all right, but we have far better shooters now. Now, if you want to pick it up for something to play every now and then, when you're bored and almost out of cash, it's fine for that. It's just not a great shooter

Resistance 3 is different in that it's very well made, very well paced, and altogether the package that the first two should have been. It's definitely worth it, through and through, and it had a sympathetic protagonist to boot (something that shooters have almost always lacked).

EDIT: Oh - token God of War recommendation. The first collection is, obviously, the best place to start, and I'm also going to ask you to show some love for the Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper collections as well.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mendelson9

I recently got a PS3 too for the first time a couple months ago. I picked up Uncharted 1 and 2, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Final Fantasy 13, and God of War 3. I would recommend you playing Uncharted 1 first but I don't think it would hurt to to much to go out of order. Uncharted 1 is still a good game. I played Heavy Rain too and I DO NOT recommend picking that game. It had some interesting things in it but it was the worst game I played in a long time. As a game that pushed itself as a serious story, the plot was stupid and is just not much of a game. Killzone 2 is good and you can still play multiplayer which is very fun. I would stick with Killzone and stay away from Resistance, never did anything that intresting. The rest are good and are worth giving a try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.