Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Home

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 11, 2008

PlayStation Home was a social games network where PSN users could play games and socialize. Home saw a refocus in Fall 2011 in North America and Europe that put more emphasis on games than social spaces.

Home "release date" open beta Dec. 11

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL I guess the Hype has truly long gone and died...

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Manachild

i was in the closed beta, its.. ok hopefully once they open it they will actually have more content up thier sleeves if not then thats pretty bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure it will since companies will wanna advertise the hell out of themselves in there lol

hosting an event for your game release in HOME would probably sound very attractive to publishers.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrMuise

Home comes out on a Thursday... Thursday is my garbage day. Coincidence? We shall SEE!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrMuise said:
    "Home comes out on a Thursday... Thursday is my garbage day. Coincidence? We shall SEE!"
    LOL
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Manachild
    MrMuise said:
    "Home comes out on a Thursday... Thursday is my garbage day. Coincidence? We shall SEE!"
    lmao, good call....
    sometimes having low expectations can be good.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate

Already had it for months, but its good to see everyone finlly getting the chance to flame and slate ps3 owners for no good reason whatsoever >.>

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

The thing with Home is it's free. And I know there was initial hype and then just disappointment as it got delayed which I realise has left a sour taste. But when I finally got to try it a couple of weeks ago I was suitably impressed with a service that has no doubt been polished up to the nth degree and again... is absolutely free.

It's like being handed a can of Pepsi on the street, for free and saying "urgh I don't want that it's not Coca Cola". I know if I was handed a Pepsi on the street, for free, I'd take it and drink it. Even if I didn't enjoy it. Either that or I'd take it home for a member of my family. Or I'd just keep it in my fridge until a mate came over or something.

The point is, Home may well not appeal to you, and you may only ever use it once. But it takes up a miniscule portion of your HDD, never has to be used, and won't charge you anything.

If Sony continue to keep a flow of updates coming regularly I'll dip into Home now and again. But I really don't see how people can turn around and moan about it: it costs nothing and never has to be used.

In my opinion (delayed as this is) it's better to have something rather than not have it. Even if you use it twice in your whole Playstation's lifespan... that's cool.

Personally, the time I shared in Home was pretty fun. I rarely laugh out loud at a video game but watching a group of people doing the "Rock" dance to a trailer video in the Home Square was particularly amusing.

If they keep it updated with interesting promotional items (the Red Bull promotion sounds interesting) and other new areas then I really don't see how anyone complain. Seeing as if you don't want to use it the XMB is still the smoothest dashboard anyway (in my opinion).

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

The Red Bull home space has me kind of excited I must admit:

Red Bull Home Space
    Red Bull Home Space

Motorstorm Home House
    Motorstorm Home House

The Motorstorm trailer is a much more awesome house than the harbour apartment. There will also be areas for you to stream Eurogamer.net's video content (in the UK) and a Watchmen space or something.

There you go then.
    Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Boiglenoight

While I was kind of interested in Home's concept, if the closed beta is all they have to offer now they need to either make good on several other promises of content or hold off until they have more to show.  If they release Home as it is in closed beta, it's going to be an underwhelming first impression for most for as long as Sony's been working on it.

foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foxhound421

i'm excited about Home, but i still just can't figure out if it's going to be something i use at all. it'll be nice to finally see what all the fuss is about though and i really hope it lives up to the expectations that Sony's built for it. right now i have a "expect the best, prepare for the worst" attitude towards it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By brukaoru

This seems really sudden, but I guess they were tired of delaying it and actually wanted to release it before the end of the year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me its kinda weird....since when it get's delayed (I hate the delays too) everyone says they should just release it, and then when its about to be released the fanboys say they should just hold off instead of releasing a lame unfinished product? I mean at its core HOME is based off the idea of starting off bare bones and growing more mature over time, I can understand that it needs at least some things to fill the space when it releases but I think its highly unrealistic for  anyone to expect it to be fully loaded at its start, I mean look at xbox live on the original xbox it was good but not great, but xbox live on the 360 now is very well matured. If anything HOME will start off rather bland and grow more colorful and diverse over time. But with how the Media and perception is these days HOME may not fare so well even though I hope the best for it, still get to play some great games though /\_/\

Oh yea and Youtube somehow integrated with HOME would be pretty cool in my opinion =)

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manachild

i do agree with sammy tho.... if sony was charging for this then you'd have more of a case to complain about it not being as good as x, or doesnt have this.  And i like the analogy about the can of pepsi. 

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tekmojo

Sammy has the right idea. I don't understand how people can complain.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well with absolutely no hype going into this I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticFalconar said:
    "Well with absolutely no hype going into this I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised."
    Yea I've been getting mixed reception with some saying its really good, others saying its boring, so I'm not really sure what to expect...

I've set my expectations as

-making my avatar yay...
    -meet other PSN members in the HOME world..

not really expecting anything more but if so thats great =)
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Manachild

You can play bowling, you can play pool, you can play chess with people, you can play 4 arcade machines in the bowling alley, you can customise your home space which is like your apartment i guess.

You can watch trailers at the theatre, um... yeah, you can lobby up a game of warhawk and jump straight into it but i think thats the only game that supports that so far, um thats what i saw in my time in the beta.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Manachild said:
    "You can play bowling, you can play pool, you can play chess with people, you can play 4 arcade machines in the bowling alley, you can customise your home space which is like your apartment i guess.
    You can watch trailers at the theatre, um... yeah, you can lobby up a game of warhawk and jump straight into it but i think thats the only game that supports that so far, um thats what i saw in my time in the beta.
    "
    thats pretty much all there was in the closed beta, hopefully sony isn't stupid and doesn't roll out the full thing without a lot of stuff. it needs to all be there, or else a lot of people will be turned off and never return for all the really cool stuff that gets added in daily. 
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Manachild
    TwoOneFive said:
    "Manachild said:
    "You can play bowling, you can play pool, you can play chess with people, you can play 4 arcade machines in the bowling alley, you can customise your home space which is like your apartment i guess.
    "
    thats pretty much all there was in the closed beta, hopefully sony isn't stupid and doesn't roll out the full thing without a lot of stuff. it needs to all be there, or else a lot of people will be turned off and never return for all the really cool stuff that gets added in daily. "
    Yeah, i mean i dont want to get my hopes up but i would hope that as soon as it goes public it will have a patch and will have some extra stuff in it.
    The pessimist inside me says no tho.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone get it yet? I haven't, I hear its being released sporadically

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tekmojo

Still waiting!!!!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm convinced this is gonna get delayed. We were meant to have it "early PM" here in UK... it's now nearly 8PM (later in other parts of Europe).

This is getting delayed.

Good work Sony. Perhaps they should run all the tests BEFORE they announce a release date?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zitosilva

I don't know... the beta really killed any form of excitment I had. Of course I'll check it properly once it's out, but I just don't think it's for me. I can't see myself using any of the services provided by it.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By m1k3

Even when it gets "released," people will still need to realize its still an Open "BETA"

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Home is certainly a nice feature , hope it will be as good as it sounds

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By get2sammyb
    zitosilva said:
    "I don't know... the beta really killed any form of excitment I had. Of course I'll check it properly once it's out, but I just don't think it's for me. I can't see myself using any of the services provided by it."
    People are heading for a crash. There's so much hype around the net for it and I predict (if Sony actually get it out) there will be a lot of "Home sucks" type threads around tomorrow.

The way I see it is, something that I'll come back to when they add new stuff in, play with it for 20 minutes or so, and then wait for the next update. So long as they keep adding stuff in it will be successful.

Don't expect lots of new stuff today though beta users... it's going to be essentially the same.

I do think it's funny watching all the "hot chicks" walking around though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its out, downloading it right now

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By get2sammyb

It's up guys.

EDIT: Pipped at the post.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tekmojo
    Jman522 said:
    "Its out, downloading it right now"
    Yep
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Drebin_893

I just keep getting "Disconnected From Server" message, just after I sign into Home.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb

*Waits for PSN to crash*

OR

*Waits for inevitable backlash on a free update*

I bet some Sony employees are just sitting, sweating, watching all their computers set on fire right now.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zitosilva
    get2sammyb said:
    "zitosilva said:
    "I don't know... the beta really killed any form of excitment I had. Of course I'll check it properly once it's out, but I just don't think it's for me. I can't see myself using any of the services provided by it."
    People are heading for a crash. There's so much hype around the net for it and I predict (if Sony actually get it out) there will be a lot of "Home sucks" type threads around tomorrow.
    Oh yeah, I hadn't though of that... but there'll probably be a flood of threads dissing home in all websites.

The thing I'm still curious about though, is the matchmaking part. I still haven't figured out how it'll be better to go into home and them finding a party, to just sending invites to your friend's list.

get2sammyb said:
    I do think it's funny watching all the "hot chicks" walking around though."

And dancing in public and giving everyone the "thumbs down", don't forget that!
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Manachild
    zitosilva said:

get2sammyb said:
    I do think it's funny watching all the "hot chicks" walking around though."

And dancing in public and giving everyone the "thumbs down", don't forget that!"
    Remember, griefer madness comes to playstation home, i bet jeff and his cronies are at it already :P (side note: that was a funny podcast)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, we're not allowed to critique this now?

Fine.
    I got a sweet mustache and I saw the Watchmen trailer. I tried to get a black turtleneck so I can cosplay as Steve Jobs, but it wouldn't let me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have no opinion on it because it's free. :P

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JohnDudebro

I still haven't been able to connect.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Manachild
    BananaKid said:
    "I still haven't been able to connect."
    if you were in the beta try deleting your home icon then hitting x on it again and redownloading the 70mb. I had to do that to get mine to work earlier this morning.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Manachild
    TeflonBilly said:
    "So, we're not allowed to critique this now?

Fine.
    I got a sweet mustache and I saw the Watchmen trailer. I tried to get a black turtleneck so I can cosplay as Steve Jobs, but it wouldn't let me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have no opinion on it because it's free. :P"
    I think how they should have worded it is that it cant be held to the same standard as xbox live cause its free? i dunno.
    So far home is ok.... but only cause i like chess and i had an alright time chatting and playing chess. Besides that its pretty bare bones right now i guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having trouble connect, I wasn't expecting a whole lot since its a product that matures over time, but I was very interested to see that this UT3 group creating a club for UT3 players, it could help fans meet up on the PSN network which I think is really cool /\_/\

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.