Rumor: PSP 2 Announcement Coming This Month

• 112 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

According to a couple of reports this morning via anonymous sources, the successor to the PlayStation Portable will be announced in just a few weeks. Jan. 27, supposedly, is the date Sony has chosen to unveil the PSP2, and it’ll do so at a press event in Tokyo. That's just inside a month prior to the Japanese launch of Nintendo's 3DS. Strategic timing!

MCV, one of the publications reporting on this rumor, is also promising surprising “exclusive industry insight” into the PSP2 in the pages of its magazine that is slated to hit news stands this Friday. 

I didn't want to steal a mock-up from PSM3 magazine, so I just drew my own based on that one. 

Rumors about the PSP 2 have been circulating forever. The craziest bit of chatter I’ve heard stems from a Kotaku article from late October in which an anonymous source details the device, verifying that it’ll have twice the RAM of an Xbox 360. The PSP2 will also, supposedly, ship with two analog sticks, touch controls, a larger screen, and will apparently not support UMD.  

Your guess is as good as mine on this one, but now at least seems like the time for Sony to start talking portable successor. I wouldn't call the PSP development environment "thriving" at this point.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

According to a couple of reports this morning via anonymous sources, the successor to the PlayStation Portable will be announced in just a few weeks. Jan. 27, supposedly, is the date Sony has chosen to unveil the PSP2, and it’ll do so at a press event in Tokyo. That's just inside a month prior to the Japanese launch of Nintendo's 3DS. Strategic timing!

MCV, one of the publications reporting on this rumor, is also promising surprising “exclusive industry insight” into the PSP2 in the pages of its magazine that is slated to hit news stands this Friday. 

I didn't want to steal a mock-up from PSM3 magazine, so I just drew my own based on that one. 

Rumors about the PSP 2 have been circulating forever. The craziest bit of chatter I’ve heard stems from a Kotaku article from late October in which an anonymous source details the device, verifying that it’ll have twice the RAM of an Xbox 360. The PSP2 will also, supposedly, ship with two analog sticks, touch controls, a larger screen, and will apparently not support UMD.  

Your guess is as good as mine on this one, but now at least seems like the time for Sony to start talking portable successor. I wouldn't call the PSP development environment "thriving" at this point.
#2 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

I don't give a shit about dual sticks, just make it so ALL PSP2 games have to be digital.

#3 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

I wish it would look like that

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I still don't see having crazy graphics as a way to boost sales.

#5 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

They've got to make the PSP2 very good or they'll be no point to it at all. Twice the ram of an xbox 360 sounds ridicules, though.

#6 Posted by Portis (1285 posts) -

Dual analog sticks and I'm sold. If not, no thanks. 

Also; are these rumors ever wrong? Seems like every time a rumor comes about with a specific date it always rings true.

#7 Edited by ELpork (208 posts) -

I would prefer  cartridge over an all digital system... lets face it, not everybody has a internet connection.  

PS: Dual sticks are a MUST if you want this thing to go anywhere... hope you got that Sony.  

#8 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

That is the best mock-up of the PSP2 I've ever seen! 

Kudos, Brad.

#9 Posted by ch3burashka (5011 posts) -

It's a terrible idea. First of all, it's going to be confusing, what with the PSP Phone looking realer and realer (it just got announced, right?). Then there's the Playstation App that just came out, minor, but can lead to further confusion. Not only that, but there's no event coming up, CES just finished up. When and how does Sony plan on announcing it, with all of these things stacked against it. Nah, dawg. They'll wait until E3.

#10 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

The locations of the sticks on that mock-up is crazy Brad.

#11 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

No UMD support?

So I can't play the DJ Max games I already own? Well fuck. Guess I'm not getting a PSP2, then.

#12 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Too bad it's just a mock-up. I totally feel the 2011 "design was made in paint" look!

#13 Posted by tobygw (579 posts) -

Depending on what is shown, this will definetly have a chance at making me pass on the 3DS and to get a PSP 2 first.

#14 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

Reporting on rumors now? Wow.

#15 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

This just in from my secret sources: PSP2 will ship with everything that every current console has, plus Sony has bought the rights to Mario and intends to release remakes of all the NES Marios plus Mario World with new levels.

But don't tell anyone because my dad would totally get fired.

#16 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (438 posts) -
#17 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4636 posts) -

Oh man it's great that you guys report on rumours now.
Even better that you've got your best writer on it.

#18 Posted by ELpork (208 posts) -
@zoner: Apparently there pretty accurate rumors... Not the first place I've heard this from today. Not to say I think this is right... Granted in 2 weeks we'll know and nobody will care. 
#19 Posted by TheDoubleJ (204 posts) -

i don't care about the touch screen, but i hope it can use umds
#20 Posted by Winsord (1165 posts) -
@Scooper: Not that ridiculous when you take into consideration that the 360 only has 512mb of RAM. ;)
#21 Posted by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -
@kous18 said:
" i don't care about the touch screen, but i hope it can use umds "
Same here.
#22 Posted by Hailinel (23906 posts) -

No UMD support?  Do they want this to turn into the PSPGo II?

#23 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -
#24 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Not doing themselves any favors being close to the 3DS launch. They need to have hardware out first (not going to happen) or get some distance to make an impact.

#25 Edited by JackGordon86 (33 posts) -
@RecSpec said:

" I don't give a shit about dual sticks, just make it so ALL PSP2 games have to be digital. "

Wtf, no. That's the worst idea... Besides, let's see a decent software line-up first.
#26 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

It needs a unique selling point. I hope it's not 'looks like early PS3 games!!!' because that's not a unique selling point. The PSP nearly got to PS2 quality of graphics, and despite the DS's near to N64 level of power, it thoroughly beat the PSP. I'm not suggesting early PS3 graphics on a hand held isn't cool, I'm just suggesting it needs something more. Still...I'll be getting one probably, alongside a 3DS.

#27 Posted by detectivepbert (262 posts) -

my favorite games for the PSP are GTA:CW, GTA:VCS, and GTA:LCS.  UMDs are worthless except for final fantasy: crisis core and theres not even any movies being released on UMD anymore, so PSP2 should go digital distribution only.  it should also be backward compatible with digitally distributed PSP games.  i don't give a flying fuck about touch screen.  just want dual analog sticks.

#28 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

iPhone with good games, that´s where this baby has to go to survive.

#29 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

I prefer my idea of sticking a lil' tv into a PS3 controller :)  

#30 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

This is great.

#31 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Yo that PSP 2 LOOKS SICK.

#32 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

It shouldn't support UMDs and it doesn't have to. PSP 2 implies new hardware generation, so it definitely doesn't have to support the same format as the previous generation. Going all digital sounds like a great idea.

You can still play the UMD games you already own, because guess what, you already have a PSP.

#33 Posted by hsvlad (142 posts) -

I did a 3d mock up of the PSP 2 earlier this month when there wasn't much to do at work. GB, you are more then welcome to use them, and their already on your site :D

#34 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

Rumors are always interesting. The more crazier the better.

#35 Posted by drstrawberry (108 posts) -

As long it has a PS2 game store, then I will be fully satisfied
#36 Posted by PLWolf (920 posts) -

PSP2, Two Analog nubs, More Ram, More processing power, and digital only? SOLD!!

#37 Posted by zameer (605 posts) -
@hsvlad: ok these totally crushed brad's ms paint pic
#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

A gig of ram seems reasonable for a multimedia device. The iPhone 4 has 512 right now. 

#39 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

wow, your mock-up looks very ergonomically designed

#40 Posted by GT-Man (118 posts) -

Ur drawing epic fails lolol
#41 Posted by detectivepbert (262 posts) -
@RecSpec:  don't you like to move cameras in games?
#42 Posted by detectivepbert (262 posts) -
@kalmis:  the world's first true 2D handheld gaming device.  the device itself is in 2d!
#43 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

While the 3DS clearly has a huge amount of appeal offering 3D games, the PSP2 has its own edge by simply not neglecting to add that second analog stick.  The PSP2 might blow the lid off of portable multiplayer shooters.  The thought of sitting in an airport terminal and being able to play something like Team Fortress 2 or Call of Duty on a PSP is hugely appealing.

#44 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

awesome pic.

#45 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

the psp2 would definately appeal more to a mainstream audience cause of the 2nd stick, making more fps games possible.  thats gonna help it compete against the 3ds and i would love to see the games that are gonna go head to head on both portable gaming systems.  successfulness-wise (fuck it im not gonna think of the proper word), im leaning towards the 3ds

#46 Posted by langdonx (114 posts) -

Here's hoping the D-PAD isn't awful like it is on the PSP-1000.  It needs to be entirely raised out of the device, like it is on sixaxis/dualshock3... otherwise diagonal directions are a pain -- makes playing fighting games really annoying.  Not a huge fan of the analog stick either.

#47 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Winsord said:
" @Scooper: Not that ridiculous when you take into consideration that the 360 only has 512mb of RAM. ;) "
Yeah, wow. That's as much as the current iPhone.
#48 Posted by sninja13 (7 posts) -

Shame I haven't played a handheld other than my iPhone since I graduated college.

#49 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I love handhelds and want to keep buying them, yet I never play any of them.

#50 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

Personally, I'm more excited for the release of PSP2 than the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.