Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Froakie's final form and other new rumors

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Okay, so some shady "reviewer" has apparently gotten X and Y and is leaking a bunch of info. Some of these look pretty legitimate, but as usual take these rumors with a giant grain of salt. I'll post the main points in bullets and the sources below.

• Froakie's final form is called Greninja. Here's what it looks like.
    • EXP Share is obtainable early on and can now share XP with your entire party.
    • Only 70 new Pokedex entries, the lowest amount of the six generations.

Source

It looks legit to me. I kinda predicted there wouldn't be as many new Pokedex entries this time around, but 70 is a lot lower than what I was expecting. Maybe they consider the Mega Evolved Pokemon to make up for the difference?

Update: Forgot to mention that Chespin's final evolution is also there, but only the back of it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Normally I don't believe anything unofficial about new pokemon games, but this actually looks pretty legitimate. Exp Share makes sense, the lower number of new pokemon confirmed my suspicions (based on how they've been playing up older pokemon and how they've been trickling out the new ones), and Greninja looks real. Froakie's ninjaness matches some current rumors that Froakie's supposed to be a rogue, Fennekin a witch, and Chespin a knight.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Assuming all of that is true, I can support Gamefreak's decision. I rather have 70 new Pokemon instead of 70 new Pokes and 30~ uninspired/forced ones.

EXP Share for the party is cool.

Greninja looks pretty nice, but I'm more interested in Fennekin's final EVO.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tarsier

they ran out of decent name ideas like 3 games ago lol

i wonder if its even the same people working on it or if theyre retired like the rest of the people who did good things at nintendo ( i assume )

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aegon

EXP share for the entire party? Now that's a game changer.

WAIT HOLD THE PHONE...Is Greninja using his tongue as a stylish scarf? Grosss.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comment section on that article seems to be under the impression that some of this information contradicts things said in interviews.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: To make matters worse, it has Waterfall and Surf! The poor thing has become an HM Slave!

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Water and psychic moves, but it looks sorta like a fighter. That' a lot of weaknesses. And 70 is plenty, the problem with these games isnt the lack of pokes. They just need to find new ways to utilize them.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be fine with only 70 new Pokemon. The designs look alright, too. I'd heard about the EXP share rumor before, and that's a welcome addition.

But... why are several of the images reversed? Look at the logos in the bottom left and the home and select buttons.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They need to stop adding Pokemon ... it's the world itself people want to explore. Maybe new legendary ones ... but that's it. They are getting worse and worse each year. One of the Pokemon is an ice cream, another is literally a fucking pile of garbage.

Pokemon need a reboot. The Pokemon: The Red and The Blue.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since they are moving into a new platform with the 3DS I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of reboot/major rules shakeup with a smaller pokedex but more focus put in improving/updating the battle system. Some kind of ATB? Just something really different to make the whole "hey kid go collect pokemon" a fresher experience.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vuud: Yeah, I want some real changes as well, but I think the series is basically a slave to its backwards compatibility. Even though X and Y on the 3DS can't directly interact with, say, Red and Blue on the Game Boy, there are always a generation or two that the new games must be able to interact with (in this case, the 2 DS generations of Pokemon games).

So much to my dismay, instead of being a Final Fantasy that mixes up the battle system each time (for better or worse), it's more of a Dragon Quest thing in that it basically stays simple (for the kids) and is easy comfort food for the older audience.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud: Yeah, I want some real changes as well, but I think the series is basically a slave to its backwards compatibility. Even though X and Y on the 3DS can't directly interact with, say, Red and Blue on the Game Boy, there are always a generation or two that the new games must be able to interact with (in this case, the 2 DS generations of Pokemon games).

So much to my dismay, instead of being a Final Fantasy that mixes up the battle system each time (for better or worse), it's more of a Dragon Quest thing in that it basically stays simple (for the kids) and is easy comfort food for the older audience.

Much like many other cash-making cows, the main Pokemon series is a victim of its own success. There's room for improvement and it'd be cool to change things up for a bit, but it makes so much money that they can't risk doing anything too crazy. As long as the games and merchandise continue selling like hotcakes, we'll continue to get roster updates until the end of time.

Follow the money, Nintendo.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I find it hard to believe there is "Barely any endgame other than catching Mewtwo and the Z legendary" sounds like a whole load of bullshit to me. There's been roaming legendaries, battle towers, dungeons, routes, cities, rematches, minigames, online modes and all sorts of extra shit to do for generations now, and that's not counting the insane number of pokemon there are in the game now to catch.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black and White added a ton of permutations to combat and the sequel had a million side things to do. And there's also a bunch of side games that do entirely different things like Conquest or Snap (though its been a while since Snap).

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not even know the differences between the two versions. I have been kinda wanting to get into this new game....blah..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Right now the only differences we know of are the cover legendaries and each version has an exclusive Mega Mewtwo form.

@hunter5024:

They always do stuff like that. No matter what the rumor that community will find every possible reason why it's bs. They're a bunch of party poopers.

@benny:

That raised a red flag with me too. If it's true, I'm hoping he's just referring to the legendary Pokemon to catch. I was really hoping for a Battle Tower and the return of the World Tournament mode from Black 2.

@itwongo:

That's weird. Maybe they were trying to be sneaky or they were taking the picture from a front facing camera. (Like phones and tablets)

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EXP share was confirmed by Nintendo during some earlier event iirc.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: I spent more time reading their comments then I probably should have, and eventually they traced some of the info back to its original forum post where the poster claimed it was fake. However apparently these images are from multiple sources, so some of it is fake, but some of it could be still be real.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chiablo

You people are complaining about "only 70 new pokemon"? Back in my day, we had a total of 150 pokemon in the entire game, and we liked it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the new leaks has a picture of the main character talking to himself and that's crazy.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

You can get a mustache and beard? how old is this kid?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksukeru: As old as time itself. Ten. Honestly I have no clue, probably ageless like Ash.

@hunter5024 said:

One of the new leaks has a picture of the main character talking to himself and that's crazy.

This truly is the biggest advancement Pokemon has ever had.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By drac96

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet someone got their copy early and has been posting pictures and small videos on instagram for the past few hours. He chose Chespin as a starter, so hopefully by tomorrow we'll get to see the final form.

I enjoy how the pictures aren't the blurriest the world has ever seen. It's a nice change of pace from normal leaked things of this nature.

http://instagram.com/kosthedin

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The legitimate final evolution for Fennekin has been leaked.

It's name is Delphox and it is part psychic. It can be viewed here.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

:O!!!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre

So this one has ALL of the old pokemon too? I was actually a little worried that with the new ones and their mega forms that they'd cut access to the old Pokedexes too since its all 3D now.

I want to assemble my best-of-the-best from past games.

I hope it does but I don't think so. That seems like a huge undertaking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda predicted there wouldn't be as many new Pokedex entries this time around, but 70 is a lot lower than what I was expecting.

Oh, man, seriously? That's such garbage. The best part about Black and White was that first runs of the game would only have you seeing new Pokemon. And now they're not only removing that feature, they can't even implement it because they don't have enough new stuff for the game to subsist on.

I feel like the hype around this generation is pretty substantial, but this is the first time I've ever felt like I've gotten too old for Pokemon.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Niceanims

@turtlebird95: I'll bet that the reason he looks like a shrimp is more the result of him being at a bad viewing angle than him actually looking like a shrimp.

No Caption Provided

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sissylion: That 70 new pokemon thing is far from confirmed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo: Now that I really look at it, I'm thinking that's the case. I need to see from another angle to be sure, but it could be pretty badass.

Odd they would change his type to Steel/Fairy though. Whoops, read that wrong. Water and Flying makes sense.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: It's water/flying. The corresponding types are above the pokemon. The formatting on that chart sucks.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would honestly rather them make 70 new pokemon that are thought out and look decent than having 100+ that are subpar and uninspired. I haven't seen all of them, but I will say I like the designs of all the starters.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm really excited to play the game and see for myself. I find that the Pokemon games get a lot better when you do a nuzlocke run with them (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge) . It makes you care about them, and the difficulty is much more to my liking. Does anybody else do this?

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By jacksukeru

Man, Froakie is an easy choice for starter this time around. I dig all his forms, and it's the first time in forever that I've liked the final form of a Starter.

It's too bad that he's eventually gonna hafta go once I start putting together my Bug team. Black 2 had a veritable smorgasbord of awesome bug types. I can only hope that, with some pulls from earlier generations, this gen won't disappoint in that regard.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Niceanims
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Klefki is my new least favorite pokemon.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anybody else stoked that we now have a Luchador Pokemon? And it's Flying-Fighting! I don't know any other pokemon who has that type combination!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zalrus9: Agreed! I'm definitely getting one for my team!

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just want to know what all the version exclusives are so I know which one I wanna preorder, I guess I'll just wait til its out.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Looks pretty good. Funny that Froakie had my least favorite first form but the only decent looking final form. Not a fan of most of the new pokemon and megaevolutions, but there seem to be enough decent ones to build a team out of, especially considering the new emphasis on older pokemon (starting with Charmander again, woo!). I'm really interested as to megaevolutions will effect the metagame and certain pokemon's viability. It seems it could bump up some well-liked but competitively weak pokemon (Charizard getting Drought and Absol getting Magic Bounce seem especially intriguing) and give different attack options for known powerhouses. I have to say I'm pretty excited, and can't wait until I have some free time to really dig into the game.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can not wait for the Pokemon bank to get here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.