Prey 2 is NOT cancelled, just delayed. Bethesda confirms.

#1 Edited by ericdrum (404 posts) -

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/04/19/prey-2-update/

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

#2 Edited by mordukai (7125 posts) -

You sir. Just made my week.

EDIT: I have a feeling this also has to do with the upcoming release of Dishonored. Both games are very similer and I think they don't want people to get the two confused. Fine with me. Give Prey 2 some more time.

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

Good. I want to be a futuristic bounty hunter.

#4 Posted by therealminime (232 posts) -

So happy it didn't get scrapped.

#5 Edited by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

Great! Prey looked very promising. Love the alien cyberpunk style of the trailer.

#6 Posted by bunji (41 posts) -

Considering Human Head Studios track record it might means years before we see it (like with Prey).

#7 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

Glad to know my fellow Madison residents are still employed.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Knew it! This year is already packed with games anyway, this is good news.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11559 posts) -

Great! If it's given more time to be tweaked or to have good content added, then that's fine with me. Even if they're not doing much to it, it's good to know that it's (hopefully) still going to see the light of day.

That is, unless it turns out to be another Duke Nukem Forever.

#10 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

Oh happy day... :)

I get the feeling that Human Head underestimated the ambitious scope of the game and the positive reaction from E3 so they aimed to get this game done as early as possible. Apparently that didn't work out so well, it's really awesome that Bethesda didn't pull the plug on this project. As much shit I throw at Bethesda, they have my respect for this.

#11 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Awesome.  Bummed about the delay, but hopefully it means a better game.

#12 Posted by bybeach (4701 posts) -

2 cents spent on gude.

#13 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4605 posts) -

I smile.

#14 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -
#15 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -

Sweet! I was so bummed when I read it was canceled!

#16 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@mordukai said:

I have a feeling this also has to do with the upcoming release of Dishonored. Both games are very similer and I think they don't want people to get the two confused. Fine with me. Give Prey 2 some more time.

You're grasping at non-existent straws here. Bethesda already supplied sufficient reason for the delay: the game wasn't shaping up to their standard of quality

#17 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

I have a feeling this also has to do with the upcoming release of Dishonored. Both games are very similer and I think they don't want people to get the two confused. Fine with me. Give Prey 2 some more time.

You're grasping at non-existent straws here. Bethesda already supplied sufficient reason for the delay: the game wasn't shaping up to their standard of quality

Bethesda's standard of quality is releasing games with myriad game-breaking bugs and to take massive shits on PS3 owners. :P

#18 Posted by Village_Guy (2479 posts) -

Yesh! That game sounded like it has so much potential, so I'm happy it wasn't scrapped!

@GunslingerPanda said:

I smile.

*twitcha-twitch twitch*

#19 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

Bethesda's standard of quality is releasing games with myriad game-breaking bugs and to take massive shits on PS3 owners. :P

I'm aware. That probably means that the game is a mess right now.

#20 Posted by mikey87144 (1648 posts) -

Never have I hoped for a game to be not cancelled than Prey 2. I know it was a controlled demo but that game has me excited. Really hope it's a great game.

#21 Posted by Draugen (616 posts) -

Awesome! Can't wait to put on my tuque, get my gun, break my rusty cage and run. :)

#22 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

This is exciting news! I really hope this game lives up to at least some of its significant potential.

#23 Posted by emem (1959 posts) -

Woohoo.

#24 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

You gotta love the cynics on the Internet. There is always something bad going on. Why be happy when you can make up conspiracy theories? It's so much more fun. -_-

This is from a comment on Bethesdas blog.

So…I assume they were about to cancel it and void contract with Human Head, but then the news leaked, Bethesda saw the reaction of public (DO NOT F***ING CANCEL IT!) and thus decided to not cancel it, but postpone it. And I would not be surprised if Bethesda took it away from Human Head and gave it to some other studio, perhaps more capable to deliver milestones.
#25 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

Not surprised. The game looked pretty ambitious. As far as my comment goes then it was just a thought nothing more.

#26 Posted by wrecks (2197 posts) -

w00t!

#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

Not surprised. The game looked pretty ambitious. As far as my comment goes then it was just a thought nothing more.

The intro video looked ambitious. The game itself was very hard to pin down.

#28 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

I am happy. First, I am invited into two betas and now Futuristic FPS Assassin's Creed is revealed to not be canceled! Quite good, chap! Jollyho!

#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@mordukai said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

The E3 Demo also looked pretty cool.

#30 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Thank god.

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

Fantastic. That game looked rad.

#32 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@mordukai said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@mordukai said:

The E3 Demo also looked pretty cool.

That's what grabbed me. It just seems like a complete 180 degree turn from the first game. I really liked how NPC's react to you and the platforming looked solid. The game has Blade Runner vibe to it and I'm A-OK with that. I hope this and Dishonored will set out to do what the developers hype them to be. FPS can be so much more then just your usual bullet fest FPS have become.

#33 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

Ah, that's good news. I wasn't a fan of the first game, but this one looked interesting to me. Most games these days look only mildly entertaining, but Prey 2 looked to break from that routine. I was saddened when I heard the game wasn't coming, but not by too much since we really hadn't seen too much.

#34 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

This is the best news I've heard in weeks. Except for the part where it was actually sub-standard. Which is worrying. But they're gonna fix that now! All is well.

#35 Posted by BBQBram (2198 posts) -

Ah, relief.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.