Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Dec 02, 2008

A 2008 entry into the Prince of Persia franchise titled simply "Prince of Persia", this game stars an all-new Prince as he teams up with the mysterious Elika to fight Ahriman and cleanse the world of his corruption.

Hmmm... I don't think I like this game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I got Prince Of Persia for Christmas and have been playing it on and off for a little while now. Well for as long as I can stand it for. I lovvvve the graphics and the sound but everything else refuses to click with me.

Firstly the pacing is awful. The whole way the game starts I was left sitting there thinking "what the fuck? is this for real?" -- and I couldn't follow it at all. Maybe it's me being dumb but one second I'm looking for a donkey, then this magic chick turns up, then I have a sword fight then I'm faced with evil fathers and Ormazd (or something?) WTF?! Suddenly (I think) I'm told to go heal the land.

I appreciate you can get more backstory by talking to Elika but it just feels all wrong. Talk about being thrown into the deep end.

Then we have the combat -- I fucking hate the combat in this game. I appreciate you can build up combos and stuff but you never get a chance because everything you throw at the enemy will be guarded. And then when he swings you have to block yourself for about 15 seconds before you can make an attack of your own. Maybe I suck and am playing the game wrong but I find this heavily frustrating.

The worst are the big guys that you can't kill, instead you have to knock into pillars or off the edge. Your sword hardly moves them yet when they get the inevitable counter they move you half way across the stage. Meaning you have to start ALL over again.

I've sussed out strategies to beating these guys but I just find it super-tedious.

Finally there are the light orbs forcing you to go back and search every nook and cranny of the level just to progress.

It's all super repetitive, the storylines ridiculous and the characters are just... urgh... I hate them.

I'll finish the game but I'm finding it a chore.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HelixSnake

Of course you don't; your taste is horrible.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By SpinCookie

I really liked this game.  It did get repetitive, but the graphics more than made up for it.  It was just so fun to watch!  I liked the bosses that had to be pushed into the pillars too, it gave me a little task to do instead of just hack and slash.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BigBoss1911
    HelixSnake said:
    "Of course you don't; your taste is horrible."
    Its called an opinion.
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HelixSnake
    BigBoss1911 said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    Its called an opinion."
    Some people think Nickelback makes good music.

He doesn't.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

Personally I enjoyed the game, so its a shame you could not get into it. A couple of the things you mentioned about the combat though. I you are talking about The Warrior, I know what you mean. So what I did was stand beside the pilar that you need to knock him into until he comes near you. Then go into defense so you can strafe quickly around him and position him for the kill in a single attack combination. Using that tactic should help you alot.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gameboi

Love the game,  but the combat got on my nerves too!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    HelixSnake said:
    "BigBoss1911 said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    Its called an opinion."
    Some people think Nickelback makes good music.

He doesn't."
    Helixsnake can't wrap his head around the fact that a person prefers pop music to his cock-rock. Everyone knows pop music is easy to write, mix, produce and programme you see. Because it doesn't use the same instrument set-up and structure for every track. God synths are easy to programme and guitars spewing powerchords are the only tone I need ever hear. *rolls eyes*

When he grows up one day he'll realise it pays to not be so narrow minded but it'll take him a few years. I should know because I was much like him.

Presuming the Nickelback comment was sarcasm or something because; a) everyone knows Nickelback are awful, and; b) if he really does like Nickelback then, well, 'nuff said.

ON TOPIC:

SpinCookie said:
    "I really liked this game.  It did get repetitive, but the graphics more than made up for it.  It was just so fun to watch!  I liked the bosses that had to be pushed into the pillars too, it gave me a little task to do instead of just hack and slash."
    It totally looks great when in motion and you're climbing around walls with the view in the background and the theme track blaring but -- suddenly the Prince will spew a line or I'll be forced into a sword fight and I'll get pissed all over again.
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HelixSnake

What are you talking about? I'm not into rock music.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    HelixSnake said:
    "What are you talking about? I'm not into rock music."
    Only those who spin the latest Paramore record (intentional irony: we all know they are a pop band) are as narrowminded as thee.

... Is my reasoning anyway.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gameboi

Nickelback does make great music :-)

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HelixSnake
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Cirdain

I hated the last warrior part. I got my brother to do it because I can't mash the attack button fast enough.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    HelixSnake said:
    "http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/looking-for-new-music-to-check-out/223511/

I posted some of the bands I like in that thread."
    Which is ironic that we share a lot of music seeing as I "have no taste". (For conveniance sake: Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, The Beatles, Pixies, Sigur Ros and Smashing Pupkins)

Presumably you have no taste either?

ENOUGH.

Cirdain said:
    "I hated the last warrior part. I got my brother to do it because I can't mash the attack button fast enough."
    Best way of doing it I've found is to "strum" the square button.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

HelixSnake claims to be sexually attracted to lizards. Any argument with him is moot, Sam.

As for the actual thread, I kind of feel bad. I've been enjoying PoP immensely, from the story to the combat to the graphics and sound and general gameplay. I think it's one of the most unique games I've played in a long time, which is interesting because it doesn't do anything incredibly new, it just takes old concepts and applies just enough new magic to them in order to get a whole new experience. I wish everyone enjoyed it as much as I have been.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Gameboi said:
    "Nickelback does make great music :-)"
    Up top!

*high fives*
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thrawn1
    Jayge said:
    "HelixSnake claims to be sexually attracted to lizards. Any argument with him is moot, Sam.

As for the actual thread, I kind of feel bad. I've been enjoying PoP immensely, from the story to the combat to the graphics and sound and general gameplay. I think it's one of the most unique games I've played in a long time, which is interesting because it doesn't do anything incredibly new, it just takes old concepts and applies just enough new magic to them in order to get a whole new experience. I wish everyone enjoyed it as much as I have been."

i would have picked it for game of the year if i had played it before i voted....
    mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mongoose

Boo Nicklecrack!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Whatever , it is merely your opinion

MrPiZzA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrPiZzA

lawl...nickleback...but seriously, the light seeds are an attempt to give the game play legs because it can be beaten so quickly.  i can see it becoming annoying to find all 1,001 seeds but for the majority, they are not to out of the way to get. the combat is a different pace than the previous pops (most games for that matter), but is still entertaining nonetheless.  I personally am a little less than half way through the story and am loving every it so far.  the difficulty reminds me of fable 2.  it is not too hard and when you are beat, the game forgives you in the form of elika. my only gripe truly is that ubisoft did not put in the dark prince costume from two thrones(flippin sweet)  all that being said, PoP tailors to the type of person that will be engrossed by the combination of the acrobatics and the combat.  if you are not satisfied to some degree by either of these, then PoP is not the game for.  but like bigboss said,  everyone has an opinion

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rowr

ummm just keep playing the game until you work it out.

Honestly, the combat in the game is not hard. If they are guarding everything, your using the wrong attacks.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok

I don't find anything really... hard, but I find the fighting in the game to aggravating (especially against the Warrior... glad I got all that over with). The orb collecting is a stupid way to artificially extend the life of the game. It's something I'm starting to notice recently about Ubisoft games: they really like collecting things and making repetitive games.

I shouldn't have to collect hundreds of things in order to progress through the game.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gike987

The Warrior can be a pain. Especially if like me suck at button mashing (someone should put up a guide for that). The trick is to back all the way to edge and do a combo that makes you switch place( triangle,X worked well for me). The just do a normal attack and push him over the edge.

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TaintedSun

I hate to necro a thread, but:

@ get2sammyb

I'm sure by now you've finished the game. I got around to playing it a few weeks ago and finished it in a few sittings. I'll agree with you, it's tiresome, repetitive and the story is non-existent, despite the overgrowth of its supporters.

On the other hand, I disagree with you in a few places. One, as far as pacing goes, it's as good (or bad, however you want to look at it) as most video game stories. The game's story pacing, which I assume you were referring too, is fine. I mean, from a creative writing standpoint, it's horrible. For a game, it's fine, it loosely connects the action, is slightly funny, isn't too long, and allows you to skip it if you don't care. I'd get into that you should care and that the developers should take time to make you care, but as a student of creative writing, I'm jaded, biased, and just plain bitter.

Again, I'm sure you've finished the game by now, but if you played the whole game without countering and counter-attacking, I feel bad for you. The game needs to remove the prompt to block so that you never hold it down indefinitely. At first I was waiting for a second to attack, but I felt like I was always holding block. Then I started timing my blocks to repel their attacks, giving me a clear shot. Once you get a combo that does a decent among of damage, each battle shouldn't take too long.

Which of course brings me to, oh dare I say it? The Warrior. The guy's a bitch. One poster here said what needed to be said, back up to the area you need to hit him into, defend, dash around, hit once, finished. The annoying part is if he grabs you and you go into a QTE that teleports you around him. Regardless, the best way to handle him is to counter his attacks so you can keep pushing him, though I found his attacks the hardest to predict. And although The Warrior is obviously a bitch, I think the best think to do when fighting him is remember that The Concubine is so cool.

Finally, your problems with Light Seeds is almost warranted, but falls short. There was only one time in the whole game I needed to backtrack for more than 5 seeds, and that was for the last power. Actually, I needed like 70. Yeah, that sucked, but it was my fault. To me, it seemed like the equivalent of having to grind in an RPG because you decided to avoid the enemies for a while, and I'll say the same thing I'd say to someone who didn't want to grind 'cause they skipped enemies, "The battles (or platforming, in this case) is the bulk of the game, if you dont like doing it, you bought and are playing the wrong game."

Now, I'll give you that the platforming is weak at time. However, when I finished the game I thought this:

The story is bad, the voice acting is good, the game is pretty boring, although it has some moments that shine bright enough to make me sad that there wasn't more moments like that. Those are the moments I hold onto with this game, just so I can remember at something worthwhile.

The debate over Prince of Persia doesn't surprise me. It's a bad game that's good. It's like Mirror's Edge. You'll hate it 'cause it's bad, but it's production values are good enough where you want to play it. It's weird.

Whatever though, I just took it upon myself to complete Mass Effect, and it washes away any negative effects of good/bad games. It's so good. It's like sex.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By raven_squad

TC's post says pretty much my exact feelings on the game. Loved the visuals, but everything else was just blah. Combat was repetitive and dull, the acrobatics and such felt like they were on rails, the ridiculous Prince (who was basically a persian version of Nathan Drake), the story is poorly paced and terribley executed, and comes to quite a *sigh* worthy conclusion. I wouldn't reccommend this game to anyone. 

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By fillmoejoe

The orb collecting really got annoying after a while. Hopefully a sequel will make the game a little more challenging and add a more satisfying combat system.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, I thought Prince of Persia was terrible. Definitely one of the worst games i've played in years. The ending in particular had me seething in rage.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kr3lian

I am really loving this game.  It has a very rhythmic, hypnotic feel.  I thought Ubi did a great job of bringing something new to the table.  I generally like hard games, but not every game needs to be hard to be fun.  Love, love, love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.