User reviews

I love writing reviews. I've picked up the habit of writing a review for a game after completing it for the first time. I don't think I'll ever turn into a professional review writer (though the Giantbomb crew makes it look as though it's really fun) but I still want my reviews to have some quality to them. The point of this blog; I want to find others who like writing user reviews. If you're interested, leave a link to your review page so that I can read and comment on them. In return, I'd like you to tell me what you think of my reviews as well. The goal is to improve our reviews. :)

Here's my review page, and for good measure, here's Sunking's, someone I've been trading comments on reviews with and who writes truly excellent reviews. Check him out as well if you like.

Posted by Breadfan

I haven't written many reviews on Giant Bomb, but I think my Left 4 Dead review is pretty good

Posted by Video_Game_King

Posted by Breadfan
@dudacles I just read your Far Cry 2 review and thought it was pretty good.  I just actually finished playing it a few weeks ago after taking months to get into
Posted by natetodamax
Edited by Dudacles

@Br3adfan: I have just read and recommended your excellent L4D review. You have some talent my friend. :) The only problem with it, as stated in my comment, is completely bolding the text. What's up with that? :p

@Video_Game_King: I'll read your reviews/blogs later, I'm gonna go now.

@Ineedaname: Yes, excellent.
Posted by Ineedaname

I've wrote a few, my problem is, if I'm writing them properly I'll take my time in writing it, and try to be casual but formal in my typing, so a proper one takes a while, I'm writing a shadow complex one at the moment, when It's done I'll link you to it. And I'll read a few of yours in return, I'll be away for a week or so but when I get back I'll get on it.

Posted by ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King said:
" Oh, crap, I have to get back to that! *remembers dusty notes on Panzer Dragoon Saga review* Anyway, just treat my blog as a series of user reviews until I get back to actual reviews. "
Posted by Breadfan
@dudacles Thanks for the compliment.  I actually wrote the review originally on my wordpress blog and then transferred it over to Giant Bomb with the bold font intact.  I removed the boldness though
Posted by Icemael
Here. Some of the early reviews are pure shit(I'm not joking -- they're fucking horrible), but most of them are decent. Certainly not as good as professional ones, but they won't make you eyes bleed.
Posted by gingertastic_10

I really like writing reviews. But I guess I suck at them.

Posted by Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
And in turn, I ripped off your style and did almost the exact same thing with my blogs, although I also wrote a review for Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA when that first came out. "
*gasp* You have ripped off my reviews! Even though I should probably take that as a pseudo-compliment, I will instead transform into Zack and use Wiki to turn you into...um.....a screwdriver! *does so*
Posted by ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That is all.
Posted by xyzygy

I like too many games to be good at writing reviews. All my reviews would basically say, "I like this and this, and this, and this. Oh and this is a really cool feature. What a wicked game." Especially towards RPGs.

Online
@xyzygy said:
I know what you mean, that is why I don't have many reviews.  I usually write a review for a game when I really like it
Posted by Scheds
Here's my reviews page. I haven't written many lately but I'm looking forward to a comeback in the fall. This is a great idea! i need more reviews pages to stalk. ;)
Posted by Dudacles
@Scheds: Whoops, I must say that I... kinda forgot about putting you in my opening post. I apologise. :p Anyway, I already know that your reviews are great. I read your Sam & Max review on Talkxbox the other day, it was great.

To all others; you are many. I shall get around to reading your reviews at some point, but it might take a while. :p
Posted by Joseppie

Always enjoyed your reviews. I hope you keep them up. Sorry if I haven't commented.

@Joseppie: No problem. Your reviews are great too. :p

@dudacles said:
@Joseppie: No problem. Your reviews are great too. :p  Anyway, currently writing a Shadow Complex review, which should be put up shortly.
I'm planning on writing a Shadow Complex review as well, I wanna put some more time into it before I actually do so though
Posted by ki11tank

I don't mind writing a review on new releases especially if i finish them very early as i feel it benefits other gamers more when everything is still so new.  I also feel that a shorter review covering all points is best to give people an impression of what they're getting into.  I for one will not sit at my PC writing a lvl 400 english review though as it's not worth my time and i've had to do to much of that already...

WRITE IT > POST IT > READ IT > BOOOOM

Posted by Lies

I don't get around to writing them that often, but I do appreciate getting feedback on what I put out. I always enjoy reading user reviews if they're well written. Sadly, the majority of them aren't :( I'll check yours out, comment + recommend if I'm interested :P
Posted by JacobForrest
@dudacles: It was smooth, informative, and had good form. I would only change the intro sentence. It seems like you were trying to figure out how to start the review and settled with "Shadow Complex is awesome" instead of finding something more engaging. Nonetheless, it was very good.

Myself, I'm an aspiring review writer. I'd like to get into games journalism someday. Here are the some of the better reviews I've done (except for the Soul Calibur IV review, which I think I wrote when I was fifteen). They haven't had many comments, so either they're worse than I thought or they've simply slipped under the radar.
Posted by dancingphlower

I never write that much for a review, because I feel that if I was to share all of my thoughts I would never stop writing. So I usually write only a few paragraphs. I mostly do it for my own pleasure, since I figure no one's going to read them anyway (another reason why I don't write a lot).

Posted by FlamingHobo

I've written a review for Left 4 Dead and I also wrote one for Batman: Arkham Asylum. I love feedback, whether it be negative or positive, so please let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Kombat

I write reviews for most games that I play to completion, ranging normally between 800 and 1200 words depending on complexity.  Naturally most of my reviews are positive, because without a fat paycheck and a free copy of said game for doing so, I just don't have the disposable income nor the iron will to delve into lackluster titles.

It actually is my aspiration to become a professional games enthusiast, but I certainly approach it from a realistic perspective.  Chances are that it's a gig I'm not going to land, and so I have plenty of back-up plans.  First things first, though: getting that pesky English degree out of the way.

If you guys want to jump over and read some of my stuff via my profile and give me some comments and/or feedback (recommendations), please do so.  I always love to know that people are reading my writing.

Posted by c1337us

I have only written one on giantbomb it was for Dark Sector. I had a heap on gamespot though.

Posted by Lowbrow

I've written one:

Enjoy - its on Red Faction Guerrilla

Posted by EpicSteve

I'm actually looking into getting into the business myself. I typically write short reviews seein as how long user reviews are typically filled with information that readers got from official reviews. I read some of yours are they're pretty good. Keep in touch.