Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Prototype is an open-world action game from Radical Entertainment. You are Alex Mercer, a human transformed by a deadly virus into a virtually invincible killing machine.

[PROTOTYPE 2]

Avatar image for heartless_hero2009
    heartless_hero2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The first Prototype game was fun as hell. You take control of a practically indestructible superweapon and use him to uncover the secrets of his past, all while fighting a deadly virus that threatens to tear New York apart. Now imagine Prototype 2. I know that a sequel wouldn't have a lot to go on from the first game, but some things still remain untouched and still leave you going, "What the hell?" How kick ass would a sequel to the most fun game of 2009 be? If you have any cool storyline suggestions or you just wanna share your opinion, please do.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Make the boss's less horrible.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Evilsbane
    @heartless_hero2009 said:
    "the most fun game of 2009 "
    No...I didn't hate the game like I am sure your post is about to get flamed to hell and back for that comment but there are way to many good games this year to call it the most fun of 2009, but A sequel would hopfully fix the Shitty bosses and make the game look better graphics wise cause it was pretty weak in that department, and work on the controls way to many complicated attacks how the fuck am I supposed to press A+Y and X+B wtf is that?
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Alex_V

I'm playing Prototype at the moment. I think I've guessed the ending pretty much. The problem I'm having is that you're so powerful that the fighting seems just frustrating rather than compelling, and Mercer is so violent without any remorse or even reflection that I feel like I'm the bad guy in a story with no good guys. In GTA you at least have a code by which you live. I'm just a killing machine. It's not something I find gratifying. And certainly very dubious 'fun' at all.

Rant over. I'd like to see a sequel have a tighter story - something I could actually care about. I love the actual dialogue and presentation in the first game, but it needs to be given an actual focus.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yes i agree, a sequel would be fucking awesome especially that it can allow the developer to fix all the shittiness of the first game. 

i fucking loved the first game but i found it frustrating in a certain way

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Aaron_G

Prototype was fun, but the game had some serious issues. The boss fights were never fair and did not really require you to use anything that you leveled up or worked on in the game. But, if a sequel could be developed that continued the story, sure I would probably buy it. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Alex_V said:

" I'm playing Prototype at the moment. I think I've guessed the ending pretty much. The problem I'm having is that you're so powerful that the fighting seems just frustrating rather than compelling, and Mercer is so violent without any remorse or even reflection that I feel like I'm the bad guy in a story with no good guys. In GTA you at least have a code by which you live. I'm just a killing machine. It's not something I find gratifying. And certainly very dubious 'fun' at all. Rant over. I'd like to see a sequel have a tighter story - something I could actually care about. I love the actual dialogue and presentation in the first game, but it needs to be given an actual focus. "

by saying that you obviously HAVEN'T guessed the ending. And yeah Prototype was fun, and i finished, even got all the power ups, but in retrospect, its not that good (as a game). I liked it, but thats about it.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought the first one sucked big time.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alex_V
    @Rhaknar said:
    by saying that you obviously HAVEN'T guessed the ending. And yeah Prototype was fun, and i finished, even got all the power ups, but in retrospect, its not that good (as a game). I liked it, but thats about it. "
    Ypu're right. There's been a twist in the half hour I've played since :). I think my criticism still stands though.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Suicrat

An end to hoodies!

Not that I have anything against ahoodedfigure....

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicrat

An end to hoodies!

Not that I have anything against ahoodedfigure....

kyosuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kyosuke

God I was looking at a couple of other forums and people were saying there was nothing to continue from man i cant wait to see what happened to dana possibly infected? and fighting pariah will be insane to quote mcmullen "i think if mercer and pariah were to meet face-to-face it would be exceptionaly....  bad" not sure if thats the exact quote but yeh you get the gist it made me lol when i saw thed WoI node. that said there would be a bit to fix graphics-wise and i agree on the bosses but apart from that the only thing that really shat me was how long it took to get from one side of the city to the other but having such a large area was also fun in ways so yeh i dunno. anyway if it did come out it would be VERY high on my wish list XD

PrototypeFan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrototypeFan77

i would like to start off by saying that i like prototype better than infamous because i love fast games and infamous was slow for me but anyway, if the do deside to make PROTYPE 2 i think it would be a great idea to have dana infected and smarter than the other retarted infecteds running around the city, and some of the infectes should come back scarier than before and the bosses should be a bit bigger, not just by hight but by with too, i also think alex could have more abilities/powers and change up his combos, Devastating finishes on bosses  would also be a great idea like in god of war and god of war 2 when u have to press buttons to finish off your enamies.it would mean a lot to me , noo no us if we could fly the jets to the statue of liberty and possibly have a boss battle there.
    Genetic300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Genetic300
    @heartless_hero2009:

yes there will be a prototype 2 cuase i saw the wallpapaer and its awsome!
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @heartless_hero2009:
    I think that an amazing sequel would be set in the renaissance era during like that black plague and you get infected with the same version of the Alex Mercer virus or some form of it. Then you pretty much go around wrecking shit. Plus it would have GEO MOD cuz if you don't know it yet. That stuff is pretty cool.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I agree, the game was great and I had a lot of fun beating it, but Jesus Christ....those facial animations were near terrible, I think they need to put more detail in the gore and make the "open world" a lot bigger (do whatever you have to do storywise, but make it happen). Otherwise great game, but it could have been better.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
    @kyosuke said:

" God I was looking at a couple of other forums and people were saying there was nothing to continue from man i cant wait to see what happened to dana possibly infected? and fighting pariah will be insane to quote mcmullen "i think if mercer and pariah were to meet face-to-face it would be exceptionaly....  bad" not sure if thats the exact quote but yeh you get the gist it made me lol when i saw thed WoI node. that said there would be a bit to fix graphics-wise and i agree on the bosses but apart from that the only thing that really shat me was how long it took to get from one side of the city to the other but having such a large area was also fun in ways so yeh i dunno. anyway if it did come out it would be VERY high on my wish list XD "

Pretty much this... The ending of the first leaves just enough loose ends for the game to have a sequel. And from what i read while the game was prompting for launch, the sequel is scheduled and being made.

Also improved should also be the sense of being powerful. In the first one you can be the most powerful being in the game, but a bunch of Apaches with guided missiles are quickly to bring you down. You should feel like a GOD, and you don't. :( 
    kervib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kervib

I think that if they do come out with another one they should make it so like pieces of alex (or alec) landed all over the place and and they all became their own separate version and you have go around and re assimilate all of them or something... idk i just want something to make you feel like less of a god.  Like you find out that there are more like alec or something.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

got this last week and beat it, holy crap was it fun (still have some leftover stuff to do) the graphics could be better, but then again it allowed for massive amounts of zomies and crap to be displayed without a drop in framerate. 
    the only thing i hated was the fight with Elizabeth. FUCK A DOODLE DOO that sucked, never died, but it took so much time. 
    I liked the story too, but it was easy to piece together what happened, especially if you consumed all the WEB targets. 

felt alot like crackdown too, which i also loved. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By landon

No sir, Prototype was not "fun as hell". The story was dumb, the combat was clunky, the boss battles were long, tedious, and way too hard, and the fog in the city was aweful. The movement was strangely hollow, and the side missions were typical "open world game mission type A".

Prototype was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played and it baffles me at how bad they messed it up. That being said, I will remain cautiously optimistic that if a Prototype 2 emerges, that they will fix what went wrong in the first one.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Capum15

Yeah, Eli's battle took forever, even if you knew how to beat it easily. After the first few times I died I kinda figured out what to do, but it still took forever.

But I wouldn't mind a Prototype 2. It was a fun game.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

I think there is potential for a 2nd, especially since it felt like there were loose ends that never got tied up

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Suicrat: ha!  This is what I get for doing a vanity search :)
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Baillie

Prototype was awful. Awfully awful. 
    inFamous 2 will be beautifully georgeous.

xenonecromera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xenonecromera

i really enjoyed prototype, but they could improve it alot, like you should be able to go to other places besides the city your in, and the option to turn the military and infected off so you can just do anything without being annoyed by the strike teams, the graphics should be improved, and to be able to change into more than just other people it would be fun to change into a monster like a brute from dead space, and alex was made way too big, if you look at the building in gta your tiny compared to them
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghostiet

Fuck Prototype. Though I would kill for inFAMOUS 2.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ghostiet said:
    " Fuck Prototype. Though I would kill for inFAMOUS 2. "
    Check it
    Ezio_Altair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ezio_Altair

I think it would be the greatest game ever if it had better graphics and physics engine 

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Toxin066

I hope they get rid of those collectible orbs next time 'round.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By xpgamer7

more abilities, a world that's not full of look alike buildings, multiplayer, and (probably won't be created but) custom form creation, and I'll buy prototype right away.
    Ezio_Altair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ezio_Altair
    @Ezio_Altair: oh yea and alot more abilities and drive cars and go inside buildings 
    SamWhisenhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SamWhisenhunt

I think a part two would be awesome if Alex was sent to another country(s).  Since he gained favor of the military in the first one, it wouldn't make sense to do it in the US since possibly the government would have to be on his side.  But say there was someone from the first one --I'm still not finished playing it just yet, very close-- that took the viral weapon, or sold it to another country or to terrorists.  Alex gets sent undercover to this other country and must put a stop to the virus.  He would have to consume to learn their language and see what someone might have saw dealing with the terrorists groups or person responsible.  As he closes in, he would also find himself saving some people from these mutants and further in the story, a mutated strain of the virus would bring new things to face.  Some examples would be, something that could fly, armored skin, or that commands the hordes of mutants.  And of course, new moves, powers, and things to control. Let us drive a motorcycle.  Nothing cooler than having that big blade on wheels.  Another could be a jet aircraft.  That's two more on top of what he already knows.  And as for new powers, let him keep what he has.  Lets add at least 4 new ones.  One would be body spikes, you make spikes come out and roll around, bounce, etc but the squishy people and mutants gets stuck to you and once your full, you release and it all drops.  This also allows you to gather several and say you have to stop in order to absorb them in you to regain health.  So instead of grab one, kill, absorb, you can grab many.  Another ability would be a sword or katana like weapon.  Or say if your in tokyo, you can absorb someone that knows how to use a sword and grabe

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jedted

Despite the frustrating boss battles i enjoyed Prototype a lot!  It was fun to kill hordes of Infected and the story wasn't too bad aswell.  I kinda see Alex Mercer as an anti-hero, he doesn't enjoy killing anyone he just want's to get to the bottom of this mystery and put an end to all the chaos. 

I'm not sure what they could do for a sequel though as mostly everything gets wrapped up in the end.  People are saying you'll have to fight Pariah in the sequel but i'm a little confused as to what Pariah is exactly. 
    I know it's Elizibeth Greene's child but i thought you see the General kill the baby in one of the WoI nodes.  Is there something i'm missing? 

The graphics i thought looked alright but i geuss they could use an upgrade.  I dunno, maybe it's because i'm not a graphics snob but i didn't think it looked like a last-gen title. 
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By killroycantkill

Make bosses less garbage. Also no more landmark bullshit, spent 5 days finding all the orbs.

cabures

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cabures

What would be super cool is if you could take control of the infected and become there leader so it would be an advantage agenst blackwatch or the new enemy and i,d love to see it have defrent citys so you could spreed your infectesd army around the globe...  
    and the could have and infected badguy you could destroy buildings just by whiplashing them.

ohooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ohooper

Prototype 2 needs at least 3 new powers as well as being able to combine powers after a key point in the game. for example-
    hammerfist+whipfist= ball&chain.
    and i wants stat building on things like speed, jump height, defense, attack power, as you consume ppl (if you still can). and no caps on things like that. it should just take an exponential amount of consumes for every increase. and a juggernaut devastator where you grow like 30 feet tall and look super jacked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.