Long, Long, Long Awaited Xbox Live Arcade Port of Radiant Silvergun Dated

Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -
Swap visuals, play with a friend and even infuse a little Ikaruga into Radiant Silvergun for XBLA.

Treasure has been talking up an Xbox Live Arcade port of Radiant Silvergun for a while now, but the revamped version of the studio's revered and notoriously difficult shooter is finally, finally on the way.

On Treasure's website, Radiant Silvergun has been dated for September 14, and it'll set you back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15).

This version of the game has spruced up visuals, but like so many retro revisions, you can choose to ditch the updated graphics. Treasure's also added a two-player mode, an Ikaruga-style scoring switch and more.

Microsoft confirmed to me this afternoon the September 14 date is worldwide, too.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -
Swap visuals, play with a friend and even infuse a little Ikaruga into Radiant Silvergun for XBLA.

Treasure has been talking up an Xbox Live Arcade port of Radiant Silvergun for a while now, but the revamped version of the studio's revered and notoriously difficult shooter is finally, finally on the way.

On Treasure's website, Radiant Silvergun has been dated for September 14, and it'll set you back 1200 Microsoft Points ($15).

This version of the game has spruced up visuals, but like so many retro revisions, you can choose to ditch the updated graphics. Treasure's also added a two-player mode, an Ikaruga-style scoring switch and more.

Microsoft confirmed to me this afternoon the September 14 date is worldwide, too.

Staff
#2 Edited by musclerider (589 posts) -

Boner.

Can't wait.

#3 Posted by ronin00 (28 posts) -

I am awful at these games

#4 Posted by ParamedicFoetus (62 posts) -

This will probably be what tips me over the edge into buying a 360

#5 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I've always wanted to play RS, because I loved Ikaruga on the Gamecube. Will buy!
#6 Posted by Maajin (1056 posts) -

No PSN love? =[

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12422 posts) -

oh man

#8 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -
@theplatypus: Treasure said that the 360 reminds them of Saturn and Dreamcast. I also guess Microsoft probably paid them to do it for them also.
#9 Posted by CharAznable (777 posts) -

@ronin00 said:

Same here, I've been beaten into submission by these games too many times to count. I don't even try any more.

#10 Posted by The_Nubster (2084 posts) -
@617_jbug said:
@theplatypus: Treasure said that the 360 reminds them of Saturn and Dreamcast. I also guess Microsoft probably paid them to do it for them also.
Thanks for the laugh, sincerely. 

The Xbox is like the Dreamcast, but also boatloads of cash.
#11 Posted by Eaxis (908 posts) -

I have been waiting for a game like this!

#12 Posted by kidman (466 posts) -

@The_Nubster: Don't know why you're laughing.

Maegawa mentioned that when he thinks of fans of Treasure games, the overlap in audience is mostly with Xbox 360 owners. He actually alluded that it was this way with some of the Sega systems of the past -- to him, the Xbox 360 sort of picked up the reins from Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast.

http://www.1up.com/news/treasure-radiant-silvergun-xbla

#13 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (484 posts) -

Love Treasure games!! Shame I have a PS3.....

#14 Posted by Catarrhal (825 posts) -

The Sega Saturn needs to make a comeback. How 'bout a Panzer Dragoon collection?

#15 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Is Radiant Silvergun a Japanese euphemism for turgid cock?

#16 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Finally! I've wanted to play this for a while, but fifteen dollars seems like a bit too much.

#17 Posted by WickedFather (1731 posts) -
@ParamedicFoetus said:
This will probably be what tips me over the edge into buying a 360
Don't, the games are crap.
#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Oh shit I totally forgot about this.

#19 Posted by The_Nubster (2084 posts) -
@kidman said:

@The_Nubster: Don't know why you're laughing.

Maegawa mentioned that when he thinks of fans of Treasure games, the overlap in audience is mostly with Xbox 360 owners. He actually alluded that it was this way with some of the Sega systems of the past -- to him, the Xbox 360 sort of picked up the reins from Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast.

http://www.1up.com/news/treasure-radiant-silvergun-xbla

I wasn't laughing because it's ridiculous or anything, I was laughing because of the flippant way you mentioned that they may have been paid off. Not making fun, it was the way I read it that made me think it sounded funny.
#20 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I've heard alot about this game, but i've seen nothing of it.

#21 Posted by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -

Two weeks is nowhere near long enough to prepare my body for this.

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

All I know about Radiant Silvergun is that it is one of two reasons to bother owning a Saturn. The other is Panzer Dragoon.

#23 Posted by shulinchung (180 posts) -
@Catarrhal said:

The Sega Saturn needs to make a comeback. How 'bout a Panzer Dragoon collection?

I want a new Panzer Dragoon!
#24 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Treasure is one of my favorite developers in the business.

#25 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -
@CharAznable said:

@ronin00 said:

Same here, I've been beaten into submission by these games too many times to count. I don't even try any more.When you start getting your weapons upgraded the game beecomes more forgiving.

#26 Posted by Wes (258 posts) -

Yes yes yes. Time to wipe the dust off my 360.

#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@617_jbug said:

LOL. Sure, also Royksopp reminds me of a Geico ad.

#28 Posted by infestedandy (266 posts) -
@WickedFather: I suppose the games for the PS3 are that much better huh?
#29 Edited by Echo (391 posts) -

Was Radiant Silvergun notoriously difficult, though? It's not really that hard of a game, especially in comparison to other SHMUPS. Great to see they've finally dated it.

#30 Posted by deadward (71 posts) -

Radiant Silvergun is possibly the best STG of all time, been waiting for this forever! Time to start practicing the tap-dodge skills...
Considering the absolute cheapest copy of the Saturn version you can find will still run you $200,  $15 bucks is a goddamn steal.

#31 Posted by Mister_Penguin (14 posts) -

My frothing demand for this game increases.

#32 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

#33 Posted by Bacchus (106 posts) -

YES YES YES YES

#34 Posted by Hilts (256 posts) -

Hope Psn gets a version. I want to play it with my USB arcade stick.

#35 Posted by Marundo (9 posts) -

I wish I could preorder it... Crap this is soon, I wonder when Gaurdian Heroes is coming. 

So For those that don't know why Radiant Silvergun is so dope is... Because its a SHMUP, but kind of like a puzzle game, and also kind of like Virtua Fighter with how the weapons work. You only have 3 buttons, but those pressed in everywhich way give you all of your moves... 

This is two thursdays from now.  To me Radiant is the Best SHMUP, last year I sold mine for $260 to pay rent.
#36 Posted by MeatSim (10814 posts) -

The difficultly of these games can not be understated.

#37 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -
@Catarrhal: Sadly the original source code was lost for Panzer Dragoon Saga so that will never happen.
#38 Posted by Puck (50 posts) -

They should sell it for the market price on Ebay.....like 18,000 Points.     Actually, 1200 is high.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.