Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

What exactly were people expecting?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

This game is awesome. Every reviewer seems to have wanted/expected Fallout or Borderlands. This game has NEVER given that impression. Why is it that I've only watched a few videos for the game and was able to figure out it's a standard FPS, with some wrinkles, and vehicular combat and not this massive RPG and the gaming "media", despite having hands on time, previews, etc. couldn't deduce this? Just shows what a joke they are. Having a similar setting does not equal the game being the same. The ignorance is driving me nuts.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By sirdesmond

You are a super smart guy. Congratulations!

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Crash_Happy

Well I think when you show a game having a big environment (the driving bits) and a post-apocalyptic vibe people automaticaly think of other games like that. So Fallout and Borderlands.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Man, I wish it was a massive RPG.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deanoxd

@kishinfoulux said:

This is game is awesome. Every reviewer seems to have wanted/expected Fallout or Borderlands. This game has NEVER given that impression. Why is it that I've only watched a few videos for the game and was able to figure out it's a standard FPS, with some wrinkles, and vehicular combat and not this massive RPG and the gaming "media", despite having hands on time, previews, etc. couldn't deduce this? Just shows what a joke they are. Having a similar setting does not equal the game being the same. The ignorance is driving me nuts.

Don't even get me started, but thinking back to comments made by a lot of game reviewers i don't think Rage ever stood a chance, i think their minds were made up a long time ago. Both fallout games were near broken upon release but because thats what they liked it was ok and lauded as a great games. Dead Island same thing, that game is just open world jank but yet its loved for some reason, now you want to talk about long ass boring game i maybe made it through half of it before the repetitiveness of the game put me to sleep.

And it seems if you aren't on the Rage hater bandwagon you will be vilified for your liking of the game. so whatever i am installing right now and i know i will like it and thats all that matters i guess.

@Crash_Happy: so since they made assumptions about a product that justifies them being wrong about it? you know what they same about making assumptions.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crash_Happy

@DeanoXD: Yes that's exactly how it works. The information you receive about something is the justification for your assumption.

For what it's worth, looks like a decent shooter to me so I'm likely buying it.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

not taking the PC version's... problems lets call them into account, i have to agree... its a iD shooter, why people expected anything more, even from videos and whatnot, is beyond me. But hey, im tired of letting internet drama annoy me, like danny glover says, im too old for this shit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, I was expecting it to be a bit longer than it seems to be, but aside from that, the reviews seem to indicate that it's everything I was hoping it to be, so I'm still excited for it.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've seen more Rage fanboy bs then I have any hate. 

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deanoxd

@Crash_Happy: i think regardless of what you are shown if you are going to be a so called games journalist then you don't make assumptions about a product and then cry foul when those assumptions turn out to be wrong, in my opinion. but i understand your point.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder

I was expecting Bordercry 2

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

i thought it was an rpg like fallout. I'm dissaopoint. i also think that they did a piss poor job showing what it is to the people who just saw the game at a glance. Not worth my 8 gig install to play another fps.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @DeanoXD said:

@kishinfoulux said:

This is game is awesome. Every reviewer seems to have wanted/expected Fallout or Borderlands. This game has NEVER given that impression. Why is it that I've only watched a few videos for the game and was able to figure out it's a standard FPS, with some wrinkles, and vehicular combat and not this massive RPG and the gaming "media", despite having hands on time, previews, etc. couldn't deduce this? Just shows what a joke they are. Having a similar setting does not equal the game being the same. The ignorance is driving me nuts.

Don't even get me started, but thinking back to comments made by a lot of game reviewers i don't think Rage ever stood a chance, i think their minds were made up a long time ago. Both fallout games were near broken upon release but because thats what they liked it was ok and lauded as a great games. Dead Island same thing, that game is just open world jank but yet its loved for some reason, now you want to talk about long ass boring game i maybe made it through half of it before the repetitiveness of the game put me to sleep.

And it seems if you aren't on the Rage hater bandwagon you will be vilified for your liking of the game. so whatever i am installing right now and i know i will like it and thats all that matters i guess.

@Crash_Happy: so since they made assumptions about a product that justifies them being wrong about it? you know what they same about making assumptions.

So...what you're saying is, Fallout games are jank?
    Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crash_Happy

@DeanoXD: I waiting on GB's review but I think it's entirely fair to warn a reader that it's not an open RPG type affair.

Having said that if you're really determined to get all angry about this you're pointing it at the wrong people. You really think that PR weren't aware of the impression that they were giving? You think they don't get any feedback? There was plenty of opportunity to get out and correct it and they chose not to.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've read five or six Rage reviews and I don't recall reading any that seemed to judge it based on assumption. Care to give any examples?

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jtman54179

@BeachThunder said:

I was expecting Bordercry 2

Bordercryout 5: New Desert

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Franstone

My only problem with it is that it is totally broken for a lot of people including myself.

Can't wait to play once they patch it but in it's current form it's unplayable.

I'm actually pretty shocked id released it like this.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By redbliss

This is a classic case of people not knowing what to expect, so they expect everything. People were expecting the best of Fallout 3 mixed with the best of Borderlands, which was completely ridiculous. Again, some reviewers just lose sight of the objective and let their expectations get in the way of deciding how good the game is.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By BoG

I think id said a million times that, while you can go anywhere, it isn't an open world game. I got the message.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By redbliss

@Crash_Happy: I dont think that expectation is unfair, but then to let that expectation get in the way of your judgment or review of the game whenever iD never claimed rage was any of those things is a bit unprofessional (at least that is what I think).

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deanoxd

@Crash_Happy: i am not angry at all, i was just sating what i think nothing more nothing less, and like i said in my last post i understand your point.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm

If you know what kind of game Id makes, it's really not hard to deduce what to expect from Rage. Hell, if anything, Rage is the most diverse game they have ever made, with very light RPG elements, car combat, and the "open" world. At this point, if Rage has more RPG elements beside switching ammo types and crafting items, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I knew going in that Rage was going to be a relatively straight-shooter with awesome combat and amazing art design. I haven't been disappointed, and anybody who knows an Id title shouldn't be either.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By metalmoog

I was expecting an ID Software FPS set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. Is that what RAGE delivered? Yup. I didn't want another Borderlands, or Fallout. Especially not Far Cry 2. I thought that game was clunky as fuck. Sky high intentions, massively poor delivery.

I'd much rather have a polished and competent shooter that lasts for 12 hours than a clunky unpolished FPS/RPG that lasts 100.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By YoungFrey

I think they mention the other games because they like those games more and wish Rage applied its superior tech to them instead of straight forward shooter.  I have no interest in Rage, but if it was trying to play like either Fallout or Borderlands, I might buy it. 
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Renahzor

@DeanoXD said:

"i think their minds were made up a long time ago."

"so whatever i am installing right now and i know i will like it and thats all that matters i guess."

Pot & Kettle, all in the same post.

From previews and pre-release crap I figured RAGE would be mostly a corridor shooter, but hoped it might have some better or deeper RPG trappings than it seems to have. I can also say I won't be buying the game, not only based off of reviews but based on the fact that there are about half a million other games (give or take) coming in the next couple months that I want to spend my money on more.

BTW, the reviews are generally positive, most simply touching on the lack of a certain depth that would have made the game a real standout. I don't see why there's so much RAGE(puns!) directed at reviewers for pointing this out, even when the majority of reviews are very positive overall.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nohthink

@kishinfoulux: To be fair, reviewers expected(I don't think they wanted) Rage to be Fallout/Borderland because id did not really show anything. As Ryan says in the Bombcast, he has no idea what the game is going to be. Purely base on trailers, which showed nothing but cars, NPCs and shooting, I think it was fair to expect Rage to be like Fallout/Borderland. But it is not and it is getting some positive receptions so kudos for id software.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deanoxd

@Renahzor: not really sure what your point as directed to me but ok, i just stated what i thought.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm
    @nohthink said:

I think it was fair to expect Rage to be like Fallout/Borderland.

Except not, because: 

@Napalm said:
    If you know what kind of game Id makes, it's really not hard to deduce what to expect from Rage. I haven't been disappointed, and anybody who knows an Id title shouldn't be either.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

Part of the negativism is honest. From 'this isn't my kind of game'(skyrim for me) to the birthing tech problems of rage, plus what Brad was saying about the 360 in the QL. But there is another crowd here, espousing another game, whose nerdy snozzlses smell blooood.. on the internetz! But yes there is a bit of that, good ole fanboyism. And then there are those pure-bloods who feel the sap rising over any percieved failure of something bigger than them. I did go by the steam Rage forums last night, and some ppl. were upset..hope a patch happens. I still have to finish Gears first.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By James_ex_machina

Bordercryout?

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EchoEcho

@nohthink: See, I don't understand where people have been getting all this misinformation from. I haven't followed the game obsessively, but I've watched gameplay demos and interviews from time to time, and I never got the impression that this game was going to be anything like Borderlands or Fallout. Hell, in several of the interviews they go out of the way to make sure people don't have that expectation. They never once insinuate that there will be any kind of character progression (leveling, skill points, etc.) and they state quite clearly that crafting and weapon customization is not deep on the level of Fallout or Borderlands. It just seems more like a case of wishful thinking mixing with known information until people had a completely different picture of the game than what they were actually being shown.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwilitEnd656

I honestly didn't have any big expectations. I kept myself in the dark in regards to the game, but decided to get it (PC) because it looked like it would, at the very least, be a pretty enjoyable FPS to play. That was pretty much my only expectation: a functional game. My game crashes right after stepping out the Ark. =P

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nohthink

@Napalm: @EchoEcho:

I should have said it more clearly. I did not mean id soft was going to make an RPG shooter. When I said Fallout/Borderland, I meant it would be an open world game and getting quests, which is true, on some extent, base on the Quick Looks. I have not played the game yet(I don't think I will. It does not interest me that much. I'm not saying game is bad. It just doesn't interest me) but Brad did say the game is "quasi" open world when Vinny(or Patrick) asked if the gas was open world. I simply don't think people expecting corridor shooters because the trailers were misguiding. I guess what I am saying is that I think people were expecting Rage to have a whole bunch of NPCs with exclamation marks on their heads and an open world environment where you can go anywhere you want, just like Borderland, and pick up some cool ridiculous futuristic guns, just like Borderland.

shhetghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shhetghost

I was expecting dinosaurs... oh and Yoda, dinosaurs and Yoda.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

At least its trying to do something within the genre.

Oh look another war shooter...nah ty.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Cloudenvy said:

Man, I wish it was a massive RPG.

I would have bought it then.
    anal_diarrhea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By anal_diarrhea

@EchoEcho said:

@nohthink: See, I don't understand where people have been getting all this misinformation from. I haven't followed the game obsessively, but I've watched gameplay demos and interviews from time to time, and I never got the impression that this game was going to be anything like Borderlands or Fallout. Hell, in several of the interviews they go out of the way to make sure people don't have that expectation. They never once insinuate that there will be any kind of character progression (leveling, skill points, etc.) and they state quite clearly that crafting and weapon customization is not deep on the level of Fallout or Borderlands. It just seems more like a case of wishful thinking mixing with known information until people had a completely different picture of the game than what they were actually being shown.

Quoted for truth. If anybody wanted to know what Rage is about, Bethesda released TONS of info explaining exactly that. This very site has carried tons of info about Rage. Not that people are obligated to follow any game's PR, but you can't say Bethesda didn't try to get the word out for people who wanted it. They released a huge number of videos etc. What more could they do?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#39  Edited By Sin4profit

...for the game to be playable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

Super Mega Textures?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cold_Wolven

My expectations for this game were never too high and that's fine for me. Tight aiming, stunning visuals, enough variety and a campaign length more than 6 hours were all I was hoping for and judging by final impressions of the game it looks to meet my expectations.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Captain_Insano

i was expecting this...

To be honest, I have NO expectations for this game as for me it came out of nowhere. The QL and review sold me on the game though. As much as I love the hell out of Fallout, I kind of want a game where I just shoot things and they die and don't have to go spending ability points and level up etc. At the same time I don't want just a Modern Warfare or Battlefield game as I'm over those at the moment. I'm hoping Rage will fill that spot. I picked up the game this afternoon on a whim and just have to wait til I finish work tonight to go home and play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.