Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rare, Ltd.

Company »

Rare Ltd. is an English game developer based in Leicestershire founded in 1982. After many years of being partnered with Nintendo, the studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2002.

Rareware's Dinosaur Planet

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

An hour of gameplay footage from Nintendo-owned Rareware's "Dinosaur Planet", has recently been unearthed. A few of you may remember that Dinosaur Planet was scrapped but later evolved into Star Fox Adventures on Nintendo Gamecube. Planet Dinosaur had it's own story and underlying concept.

This build has poor place-holder voice-work in place, but I think the games atmosphere shines through as being notably good for an N64 game.

edit: Thanks

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hector

You mean Star Fox: Adventures. And I believe all Nintendo did was slap Starfox on to it but I believe the majority of assets and story are essentially the same.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By bibamatt

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hector said:

You mean Star Fox: Adventures. And I believe all Nintendo did was slap Starfox on to it but I believe the majority of assets and story are essentially the same.

No, on both counts.

No, he's right. Dinosaur Planet evolved into Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube, not Starfox Assault.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@bibamatt said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hector said:

No, on both counts.

No, he's right. Dinosaur Planet evolved into Starfox Adventures on the Gamecube, not Starfox Assault.

Aha, I obviously meant Adventures.

Planet Dinosaur had it's own story and underlying concept, it was then scrapped and turned into Adventures.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105
    @bibamatt said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hector said:

No, on both counts.

Remember that Rare had to upgrade the N64 assets of the original to Gamecube standards. Even if it's the same game, it had to be remade.
    bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bibamatt

@Willy105: Yeah you're right. I was referring to OP's statement that Dinosaur Planet became Starfox Assault (a traditional Starfox flight game) rather than Starfox Adventures, which is what actually happened. Adventures even started out being called Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, but they scrapped that.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bibamatt

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@bibamatt said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hector said:

No, on both counts.

Aha, I obviously meant Adventures, not the DS game.

Planet Dinosaur had it's own story and underlying concept, it was then scrapped and turned into Adventures.

Starfox Assault was a Gamecube game, not DS. The DS game was Starfox Command. Come on, man! Get with it! :p

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Thanks.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bibamatt

I remember really enjoying Starfox Adventures, although it got fairly middling reviews for a Nintendo/Rare game. All the Starfox stuff seemed really shoehorned in, though. You could tell they'd totally adapted it because Nintendo wanted them to use Starfox. I remember looking forward to Dinosaur Planet loads when it was still an N64 game. Rare was killing it back then. Thanks for the little video!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.