Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

WTB One More Game for Trifecta of Destruction

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

After weeks upon weeks of playing whatever games are here at work for some hearty achievement points (which led to me actually enjoying Soul Calibur IV for some reason), I've finally been able to get my grubby hands on two games that I've been waiting all damn year for:  Red Faction Guerrilla and Prototype.  Now, if there's one thing that makes jakob187 happier than anything when it comes to video games, it's having lots of freedom and the ability to blow tons of shit up.  Between Red Faction Guerrilla, Prototype, and Battlefield Bad Company...I think my trifecta of destruction is now completed.  = D

Like Uncle Montell says, this is how we do it!
    Red Faction Guerrilla is quite the technical powerhouse to behold.  GeoMod 2.0 and the backpacks in the multiplayer mode take what could've been a generic third-person shooter and turn it into a great game worth dumping some hours into.  The single player campaign takes place in an open-ended sandbox version of Mars, and you'll easily find yourself getting distracted from your missions because of what I like to call "Ooh Shiny Syndrome".  There's tons of "collectibles" to destroy in the world, so even when you're just going from here to there, you'll still be able to get preoccupied very easily.  The multiplayer is where the game really shines, though.  I have to thank Volition greatly for giving me the ability to destroy the silo/tower/building that those railgun snipers are sitting in.  There's a great sense of pleasure and joy in crushing your opponent under the weight of concrete and rubble.  While the standard deathmatch and team deathmatch are present, the modes that offer the best bang for your buck are Damage Control (think Domination from Call of Duty 4), Demolition (where designated members of each team have to destroy as much shit as possible), and Siege (which plays a bit like the multiplayer of Battlefield Bad Company, only much smoother).  All in all, fans of any good multiplayer game should seriously give Red Faction a try, but it's sad to know that this game will be yet another niche multiplayer title in the vein of Lost Planet or Far Cry 2...even though it should be recognized more than that.

Is that an extended multi-tendril Devastator attack...or are you just REALLY happy to see me?
    Is that an extended multi-tendril Devastator attack...or are you just REALLY happy to see me?
    Back at the end of 2008/start of 2009, a lot of us in the community made some lists of our most anticipated games for 2009.  In my list, there was a little game called Prototype that was slow on building up hype.  Finally, the game is in my hands...and my hands are worn out from all the shapeshifting!  The game has been wrongfully compared to Infamous over the course of the year, namely because they both feature open-ended sandbox environments filled with the ability to harness incredible powers.  From what I can tell, that's where the comparisons stop.  Prototype features a much more outrageous form of destruction, going so far as to actually flat-out PROMOTE laying waste to anything in your sight.  The list of upgrades for your powers in impressively deep, and the abilities that you gain are a mixture of both extremely awesome and extremely hilarious.  Seriously, how can you not guffaw when you plant a Flying Elbow Drop ala Macho Man Randy Savage from the top of the Empire State Building onto a bunch of poor saps down at ground level, sending out a shockwave that gets everyone screaming like crazy and running around in panic?  To top that off, you've got a ton of stuff to do in that game.  I'm about 10 hours in already, and I've still got a LOT of side missions to tackle, which means that this one will be getting rented a couple of extra times at LEAST!  The most impressive thing about the game to me?  The way New York is portrayed.  I've heard a lot of people complaining about the city, saying that it's undetailed and never feels very populated.  To those people, I have to ask "what the FUCK are you smoking"?  Cars line the roads just like you would find in New York at any point of the day.  I specify day because I can't recall for the life of me if I've noticed any form of day-to-night cycle in the game.  Maybe that tells you a lot about the strength of the actual GAMEPLAY, as I just haven't had time to notice all the shit going on in the background!  Too much killing to do, not enough time.  Needless to say, I just can't think of any better way to spend your gaming time than wreaking havoc in NYC against the shady military elites and the infected citizens.  = D

In non-gaming news, I've gotta say that Death is working some hardcore cases this past week or so.  To hear about the passing of Ed McMahon coming so soon after Conan taking the throne of The Tonight Show gave me a heavy heart.  Alongside Johnny Carson, he helped create one of the best comedy duos in TV history.  Next, Farrah Fawcett.  Hopefully, she'll finally be able to find some peace from her suffering.  Finally, and obviously, there's Michael Jackson.  Say what you want about him, but he's the muthafuckin' King of Pop for a reason.  Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory...anything that man made turned into gold because of his incredible talents.  I still feel that "ABC" by Jackson 5 is one of the greatest songs ever written, simply because if you can't get down whenever that song comes on wherever you're at, then something keeps you from being human.  I wish the best for their families, and hope like Hell that this completes the typical "celebrities always die in multiples of 3" quota.  =  /

That's it for now.  I'm going to break 25K gamerscore tonight, so I'll probably celebrate by watching a movie naked on the couch while eating Cheetos...or something.  =  /
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

After weeks upon weeks of playing whatever games are here at work for some hearty achievement points (which led to me actually enjoying Soul Calibur IV for some reason), I've finally been able to get my grubby hands on two games that I've been waiting all damn year for:  Red Faction Guerrilla and Prototype.  Now, if there's one thing that makes jakob187 happier than anything when it comes to video games, it's having lots of freedom and the ability to blow tons of shit up.  Between Red Faction Guerrilla, Prototype, and Battlefield Bad Company...I think my trifecta of destruction is now completed.  = D

Red Faction Guerrilla is quite the technical powerhouse to behold.  GeoMod 2.0 and the backpacks in the multiplayer mode take what could've been a generic third-person shooter and turn it into a great game worth dumping some hours into.  The single player campaign takes place in an open-ended sandbox version of Mars, and you'll easily find yourself getting distracted from your missions because of what I like to call "Ooh Shiny Syndrome".  There's tons of "collectibles" to destroy in the world, so even when you're just going from here to there, you'll still be able to get preoccupied very easily.  The multiplayer is where the game really shines, though.  I have to thank Volition greatly for giving me the ability to destroy the silo/tower/building that those railgun snipers are sitting in.  There's a great sense of pleasure and joy in crushing your opponent under the weight of concrete and rubble.  While the standard deathmatch and team deathmatch are present, the modes that offer the best bang for your buck are Damage Control (think Domination from Call of Duty 4), Demolition (where designated members of each team have to destroy as much shit as possible), and Siege (which plays a bit like the multiplayer of Battlefield Bad Company, only much smoother).  All in all, fans of any good multiplayer game should seriously give Red Faction a try, but it's sad to know that this game will be yet another niche multiplayer title in the vein of Lost Planet or Far Cry 2...even though it should be recognized more than that.

Back at the end of 2008/start of 2009, a lot of us in the community made some lists of our most anticipated games for 2009.  In my list, there was a little game called Prototype that was slow on building up hype.  Finally, the game is in my hands...and my hands are worn out from all the shapeshifting!  The game has been wrongfully compared to Infamous over the course of the year, namely because they both feature open-ended sandbox environments filled with the ability to harness incredible powers.  From what I can tell, that's where the comparisons stop.  Prototype features a much more outrageous form of destruction, going so far as to actually flat-out PROMOTE laying waste to anything in your sight.  The list of upgrades for your powers in impressively deep, and the abilities that you gain are a mixture of both extremely awesome and extremely hilarious.  Seriously, how can you not guffaw when you plant a Flying Elbow Drop ala Macho Man Randy Savage from the top of the Empire State Building onto a bunch of poor saps down at ground level, sending out a shockwave that gets everyone screaming like crazy and running around in panic?  To top that off, you've got a ton of stuff to do in that game.  I'm about 10 hours in already, and I've still got a LOT of side missions to tackle, which means that this one will be getting rented a couple of extra times at LEAST!  The most impressive thing about the game to me?  The way New York is portrayed.  I've heard a lot of people complaining about the city, saying that it's undetailed and never feels very populated.  To those people, I have to ask "what the FUCK are you smoking"?  Cars line the roads just like you would find in New York at any point of the day.  I specify day because I can't recall for the life of me if I've noticed any form of day-to-night cycle in the game.  Maybe that tells you a lot about the strength of the actual GAMEPLAY, as I just haven't had time to notice all the shit going on in the background!  Too much killing to do, not enough time.  Needless to say, I just can't think of any better way to spend your gaming time than wreaking havoc in NYC against the shady military elites and the infected citizens.  = D

In non-gaming news, I've gotta say that Death is working some hardcore cases this past week or so.  To hear about the passing of Ed McMahon coming so soon after Conan taking the throne of The Tonight Show gave me a heavy heart.  Alongside Johnny Carson, he helped create one of the best comedy duos in TV history.  Next, Farrah Fawcett.  Hopefully, she'll finally be able to find some peace from her suffering.  Finally, and obviously, there's Michael Jackson.  Say what you want about him, but he's the muthafuckin' King of Pop for a reason.  Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory...anything that man made turned into gold because of his incredible talents.  I still feel that "ABC" by Jackson 5 is one of the greatest songs ever written, simply because if you can't get down whenever that song comes on wherever you're at, then something keeps you from being human.  I wish the best for their families, and hope like Hell that this completes the typical "celebrities always die in multiples of 3" quota.  =  /

That's it for now.  I'm going to break 25K gamerscore tonight, so I'll probably celebrate by watching a movie naked on the couch while eating Cheetos...or something.  =  /
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie
    28275. Why aint you lying naked on your couch eating cheetos yet?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
    @Pie said:
    " 28275. Why aint you lying naked on your couch eating cheetos yet?"
    That's with the WoW achievements added in...my XBL gamerscore (which isn't fully updated yet) is at 24945.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pie

Whyd you delete me as a friend on xbox live......

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @Pie said:
    " Whyd you delete me as a friend on xbox live...... "
    You never accepted the friend request, fool!!!  Where was you last night?  lol  
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pie

Sleepin FOOL. It was too late for us englanders........

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @Pie said:
    " Sleepin FOOL. It was too late for us englanders........ "
    It is NEVER too late for video games.  For shame, Pie...for shaaaaame.  Besides, I was up until 9am playing Prototype after the Bombing Run.  =  D
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pie
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Pie said:
    " Sleepin FOOL. It was too late for us englanders........ "
    It is NEVER too late for video games.  For shame, Pie...for shaaaaame.  Besides, I was up until 9am playing Prototype after the Bombing Run.  =  D
    "
    Yeah, prototype does that to you.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I recently finished Red Faction Guerilla, hell of a game. The mutliplayer was surprisingly deep, I'm still enjoying it. I'm glad I took advantage of that $40 on Amazon deal.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

Good blog, dude. I am going to be playing Red Faction momentarily but I really love it so far. The destruction is beautiful and the multiplayer is a surprise. I have not been able to play Prototype yet but it sounds like a lot of fun. It doesn't look perfect but who needs perfection when you have a game that is just fun?

As for the whole Death thing, I am saddened by all these recent passings. Ed McMahon was a legend and, especially with Conan's start, his death definitely has relevance today. Farrah Fawcett was a beautiful woman and very talented actress and, though her death is not unexpected, it does not make it any less sad. It is a shame that she didn't get all the media attention she deserved but there is no doubting how Michael Jackson's death is a huge event, and a very sad one at that. I have always loved all of his music and I am willing to look past his idiosyncratic nature in favor of the pure talent and skill he displayed over the years. He will be missed.

I am going to play Thriller again, for the second time today. That album is still a winner to this day and a reminder of a man's brilliance.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Sweaty ass on a couch. I hope it's not leather or pleather, because that could turn into a sticky situation.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo
    @Claude said:
    " Sweaty ass on a couch. I hope it's not leather or pleather, because that could turn into a sticky situation. "
    Been there.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @Claude said:
    " Sweaty ass on a couch. I hope it's not leather or pleather, because that could turn into a sticky situation. "
    Pun intended?!  And don't worry...it's a twill couch.

Also, after finally getting the Armor feature for Alex on Prototype, I've gotta say that Prototype just got a HELL of a lot cooler!  Nonetheless, it does feel like it's just Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction with some new skills and a new look.  That game didn't suck, though, so it's not like I can complain at all.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
    @jakob187:

Yeah, pun intended. It's become apparent that Prototype has more similarities to Ultimate Destruction than Infamous. And as you said, that's not a bad thing. I'm skipping it though, I'm on a Wii rage at the moment.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By kmdrkul

I've heard a lot of negative things about Prototype from my friends and that is what is keeping me from purchasing the game.  I don't think I can handle another open world type of game at the moment...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    @kmdrkul said:
    " I've heard a lot of negative things about Prototype from my friends and that is what is keeping me from purchasing the game.  I don't think I can handle another open world type of game at the moment... "
    There's negative things about the game?  I must be missing them.  I mean, come on...Barry Pepper is the voice of Alex Mercer!  BARRY  FUCKING  PEPPER!!!  That's INSTANT WIN!

I SHOT A MUTHAFUCKER IN THE EYE THROUGH HIS SCOPE!!
    I SHOT A MUTHAFUCKER IN THE EYE THROUGH HIS SCOPE!!
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul

Currently I'm just not seeing any justification for the purchase.  In between Red Faction, InFamous, going through Lost and the Damned for GTAIV, and Fallout 3, I'm pretty swamped.  If anything, I fear Prototype looks a bit generic...

But convince me otherwise.  And no, Barry Pepper has most certainly not sold the game for me..

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
    @kmdrkul said:
    "And no, Barry Pepper has most certainly not sold the game for me.. "
    = O  FOR SHAME!!!

Convince you otherwise?  Dood, if piledriving a guy repeatedly from the top of the Empire State Building into a tank then grabbing that burnt-out and broken tank while in a full sprint and chunking it at a helicopter then turning your arm into a fucking blade and slaughtering/dismembering enemies hasn't sold you on that game YET...then there's just no damn hope!
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul
    @jakob187: Piledriving people off buildings was a piece of knowledge that I had no known...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187

Maybe you should watch this video, kmdrkul (I guess it's more of a powerbomb than a piledrive, but it's still fucking sweet):

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.