Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Veteran Mode?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hector

How hard is it really? Is it over the top or manageable?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Depends on what youve unlocked really.

TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheWadeBrigade

I don't know about single player but it's not very hard to beat playing coop, even starting from scratch without any weapon upgrades.  Professional mode on the other hand is really hard unless you cheat and use infinite ammo.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

Professional mode is harder then Veteran mode.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By suneku

With infinite rockets and hydra... it's easier then normal starting from scratch.

Dude_What

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dude_What

Fully depends on what you have unlocked.  With infinite magnum and rockets it took me 2 hours 54 minutes on Veteran, compared to 9 hours for my first play-through on Amateur and 4 hours 45 minutes for normal.  Remember you can always go back and replay specific missions to reduce your overall time for a difficulty to unlock the infinite rocket launcher.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

I did Veteran first. It's do-able if you play co-op with a competent person. Otherwise, you can just play on Normal, get some infinite ammo and stuff, then do the trick to unlock Professional without actually beating it on Veteran. To do the trick you join a person's game on Professional, get to a save, save of course, then quit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The difficulty is amped, not through sheer numbers of enemies, but by lessening the damage you dole out and increasing the damage they do. It's all a matter of being aware of your surroundings.

I'm playing through Veteran with a buddy of mine, and as long as the two players communicate and divvy responsibilities wisely, no threat is a truly indomitable one.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By hungrynun

Manageable.

A hit from a regular infected may take of 1/3 of your life. Nothing too hard.

Now professional...whew.

KangShinChul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KangShinChul
    hungrynun said:
    "Manageable.A hit from a regular infected may take of 1/3 of your life. Nothing too hard.Now professional...whew."
    I seriously can't wait to unlock Professional and try it out. I predict non-stop cursing with Sir_Ragnarok and my television set.
    supersatanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By supersatanic
    Hector said:
    "How hard is it really? Is it over the top or manageable?"
    It's all right. It's a bit easier than gears of war on hardcore for the first half, but it becomes slightly tougher later on with those machine gun/gatling gun majinis later on. Still ain't no situation an upgraded magnum can't get you out of. Also upgrade another weapon with it (preferebly shotgun) and you'll be on your way even playing by yourself.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By super_machine

Not that hard once you get use to it. Professional mode is pretty damn hard though. Good luck beating the Ndesu boss. Freaking unbelievable.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

So far, i've found Veteran pretty fine though I do have the infinite Lightning Hawk and Rocket Launcher. That being said, now those things that come out of the pods have arrived, Sheva seems to get impaled all the time which is quite annoying so I suggest doing it in co-op if possible.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

suneku said:
    "With infinite rockets and hydra... it's easier then normal starting from scratch."
    Yup. I plowed through it in about 5 hours with the infinite handcannon. Normal from scratch took me 10 hours.
    PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PJ

Well for an experienced gamer its a good challenge but nothing where you die several times in the same spot. Should take you 10-12h from scratch and i plowed through it in 3h34min whit inf. hydra, rocket launcher, AK47 and some handcun think it was the SIG and died one time but Sheva died 3-4times dont really remember.
    If you have played RE4 i think Veteran should be your starting diffeculty for a decent challenge other wise Normal is good. Easy is WAY to easy.
    I myself am playing on pro now whit chapter six left and clocked around 3h. Whit all infinite wapons of course.
    I played through Easy for fun whit the infinite rocket launcher and made it through in 2h 03min :), i didnt stop for nothing and only used a herb once and that was because i stood next to the fence when the dude whit the big axe came and knocked it down in 1-2. Every boss took less then 3 shots(some neede two or three to first get knocked down and then killed) some died on the first shot but *small spoiler* Wesker took around 10+ becuase he was blocking that sob.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hitchenson

I found it stupid easy. Then again, I had an infinite ammo Desert Eagle. And my mate had an infinite ammo Man Cannon. But even without those... it wouldn't be very hard.

(Also, me and my mate both got the infinite ammo RPG in this playthrough, so yeah. It's quick)

KangShinChul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KangShinChul
    Hitchenson said:
    "I found it stupid easy. Then again, I had an infinite ammo Desert Eagle. And my mate had an infinite ammo Man Cannon. But even without those... it wouldn't be very hard.(Also, me and my mate both got the infinite ammo RPG in this playthrough, so yeah. It's quick)"
    Sir_Ragnarok and I seem to be flying through Veteran rather quickly too, and we're not even using infinite ammo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    "So far, i've found Veteran pretty fine though I do have the infinite Lightning Hawk and Rocket Launcher. That being said, now those things that come out of the pods have arrived, Sheva seems to get impaled all the time which is quite annoying so I suggest doing it in co-op if possible."
    It took me so long to figure out what you're referring to by saying "things that come out of the pods."

Reapers. You mean Reapers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, on a final note about the ease of Veteran Mode:

Like the past Resident Evils, the trick to the harder difficulties is the simple act of knowing what the game is going to throw at you. Once you know what puzzles any particular act has, where to position yourself, where to position your partner, and where the enemies spawn (since, like Gears of War, the difficulty doesn't up spawn counts but fudges with damage counters), you're pretty much set to roll.

BloodCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BloodCurse

Like others have said it depends on what you've done with your upgrades. 

Anyways, thanks to my friend the infinite rocket launcher I managed to beat it on Pro today.  1000 achievment points get!

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By guiseppe

For me, it was just slightly harder than normal. Having upgraded nothing but the MP5.

mean_cheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mean_cheez

Veteran is pretty easy as long as you have one weapon with infinite ammo (preferably the magnum), especially if you play through on normal first. Knowing what you can expect helps make it a pretty quick playthrough.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ket87

I started on Veteran it wasn't hard at all. If you've played RE4 a lot on Professional then its nothing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.