Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Mercenaries mode is SO good

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

I haven't played campaign a lot yet - waiting for a buddy of mine to get his copy and do co-op.

I have played a few hours of mercenaries, and wow. I don't know if brad was just trying to play it too much like gears, but I really like the quick shot feature, the camera while running, the feel of "oh shit oh shit oh shit" when running away from a group of enemies. Then again I have always loved mercenaries and I probably played the 3DS mercenaries more than any other 3DS game. Something about it is a addicting to me.

I guess I'm just not seeing the complaints that these guys had. Melee works fine, it actually rewards you for waiting for the right moment to attack by giving you invincibility for a moment. The laser sight aiming is kind of all over the place, but I also feel it rewards more controlled, burst shots. Mixing quick fire, running melee, and a finishing move together on enemies feels so GOOD.

I really hope people make up their own mind on this game, I understand why GB doesn't like it too much, but I think that if you can get past the learning curve (much of which you already have, if you've played RE4 or RE5) you will really have fun with this game.

If anybody wants to play mercenaries my 360 gamertag is JerBeep.

Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bernoulli

What characters are available?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

Good to hear. I was wondering how Mercenaries would turn out with the new control scheme. I haven't played it yet because I've been trying to finish off the campaigns first.

I gotta say though, I always liked the tension brought on by the restricted controls of RE4 and 5 and the controls in RE6 leave a little to be desired so I'm worried I might not like Mercenaries as much (played it to death in RE5) . I always knew what I could do and I always did what I wanted to do in RE5, but I've noticed playing through RE6's campaign that the command to roll is very fickle and since the enemies (well, the non-fodder enemies) move in a way that pretty much necessitates it I am worried it might be frustrating in the long run. The melee system does seem to be expanded quite a bit, it's just too bad the game doesn't tell you how to do most of it. If the melee ends up working out for me in the end then it'll be all good because that was pretty much all I did in RE5.

Just gotta finish off the last two campaigns and then I'll dive into Mercenaries.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

Yup of you can get the combat down its tons of fun especially since mercenaries is well... All combat

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Genkkaku

There's just not enough level's though,

@Bernoulli: Jake, Chris and Leon and you have to unlock the other 3 and there alt costumes, and you get Ada I think when you finish her campaign

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku said:

There's just not enough level's though,

@Bernoulli: Jake, Chris and Leon and you have to unlock the other 3 and there alt costumes, and you get Ada I think when you finish her campaign

Yup, along with... well, there's generic BSAA Agent and, well, I'll spoiler the final one: Carla Ramades. Only highlight if you've completed Ada's campaign. Oh, and yes you unlock Ada once you complete her campaign.

But yeah, Mercenaries is surprisingly alright. Not as good as RE5's, but I've had some fun with it. Some of those alternate costumes are fucking ugly, though. Well, Helena's is the one I'm specifically referring to (basically dressing her up as a stripper cop), but there's also Sherry's, where it's basically adult Sherry wearing RE2 child Sherry' costume, which is just down right creepy... Like it's totally pandering to all of the school girl fetishists. But what ya gonna do. I mean it's no different from Sheva's Tribal outfit I suppose. Leon's Pirate outfit is a bloody riot, though, as is Chris' Monk costume.

Frankly I'd say it's more fun than the majority of the campaigns... No stupid set-pieces, and the levels are much more open. The lack of overall levels is a huge disappointment, however, as is the cast list of characters at that. No guest stars or anything of the sort. I'm sure there's at the very least plenty of map DLC incoming, though. I know for certain that there's another 3 because I received 3 additional maps for preordering. Also if you're sent into the dying state when playing solo, you're basically boned. At least in RE5 you were on your feet and could regenerate your health by tapping the circle button.

Finally while I don't know if this is specific to Mercenaries or not, but... After playing some Mercs with , he was killed by a zombie fireman fellow. Only the 'execution' cutscene they shown purposely replicated the exact same shot of when you come across the first zombie in the original Resident Evil - complete with the slow turn of the head towards the screen! I couldn't believe it. Such an incredible and well implemented piece of fan-service.

EDIT: Also PRO tip! When you're using a weapon that has a slow fire-rate (the default shotgun, Piers sniper for example) just quickly switch to your alternative weapon and switch back as it'll completely skip the animation. Incredibly useful for Piers' sniper in particular.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee said:

Frankly I'd say it's more fun than the majority of the campaigns...

I just looked back of the box, but I don't think I got the code with the game.. that sucks..

Any other tips? I can get over 100K with Chris but so far only with Chris

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku: Nothing specific. Like in RE5 it just comes down to finding out where all of the time bonuses are and setting up a routine of when you decide to collect them and when you decide to start up a, like, 50+ kill combo. Plus your character of choice of course factors into things. Chris is definitely a good start and one of the simplest characters to play as; with Leon it works best when you combine your shotgun and pistol (shoot with the shotgun then immediately switch to your pistol), and with any character shooting an enemy in the head and going for the insta-kill over and over can take you along way as well.

It's just too bad you don't have the Catacombs level as it's definitely one of the easiest to practice in, as well as get yourself some relatively easy high scores at that.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RAMBO604

Anyone else miss RE3's Mercenaries? The 4&5 flavor is still fun as hell but it would be pretty sick if they threw in a few scenarios of you got X minutes to traverse half the game while an onslaught of enemies are coming at you, go. If there are any DLC it would be pretty sick to bring back some Operation Mad Jackal.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

No STARS Wesker to completely annihilate everything? Sadness.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@RAMBO604 said:

Anyone else miss RE3's Mercenaries? The 4&5 flavor is still fun as hell but it would be pretty sick if they threw in a few scenarios of you got X minutes to traverse half the game while an onslaught of enemies are coming at you, go. If there are any DLC it would be pretty sick to bring back some Operation Mad Jackal.

I loved playing Operation Mad Jackel, though it's a wonder why they even kept the name ''Mercenaries'' for the arena-combat minigame they established in RE4. It's a completely different style of mode, and the name doesn't even make sense; it was of course originally called Mercenaries because the characters available were literally mercenaries.

I can't say that I prefer Mad Jackel over the modern iteration, but it'd have been awesome if they could have given it a comeback all the same. Especially if they could just bring it back whole cloth with the same three characters.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee: Okay yeah I hit every time bonus first then find a good spot mid level and just hang out there, Chris helps because has the Machine gun which is better than most of the other characters guns

@RAMBO604: One of the best thing's about finishing 3 and getting to unlock things to use in the main game.. Also getting to play as Mikhail was great

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku said:

@Yummylee: Okay yeah I hit every time bonus first then find a good spot mid level and just hang out there, Chris helps because has the Machine gun which is better than most of the other characters guns

We talkin' the Urban Chaos map here? If so that's definitely the way to go. A great map for at least unlocking the alternate costumes because it's the most straightforward map, and it's relatively easy to wrack up a large combo. Steel Beast is another fun one, even if some of the time bonuses are definitely more out of the way. Mining the Depths on the other hand I'm not all that great at =X

You're going to want to try and get Leon's alternate costume as well. I mean, it's awesome just for starters, but he has the Assault Rifle RN which is insanely powerful in Mercs for some reason.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee said:

@Genkkaku said:

We talkin' the Urban Chaos map here? If so that's definitely the way to go. A great map for at least unlocking the alternate costumes because it's the most straightforward map, and it's relatively easy to wrack up a large combo. Steel Beast is another fun one, even if some of the time bonuses are definitely more out of the way. Mining the Depths on the other hand I'm not all that great at =X

You're going to want to try and get Leon's alternate costume as well. I mean, it's awesome just for starters, but he has the Assault Rifle RN which is insanely powerful in Mercs for some reason.

Yeah Urban Chaos, has a direct path between Time Bonus's and a good middle point that everything comes to you, Except the few that stay on the over-bridge thingy.. I haven't really tried anyone that's not Chris, I didn't realize how crap Piers gun was till I unlocked him either.. YEah I haven't managed to break 100K on Mining the Depths which include combo bonus's which I just forgot about..

Oh cool, I might do that next, I'm still trying to hit 1,500 kills with assault rifles for the skill unlock and I'm only at like 7-800 now

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

Also what's especially disappointing is all of these Retro 32 bit skins are apparently DLC and can't be unlocked in the full game =/ And I mean just look at them!

I really don't want to be throwing CAPCOM any more of my cash for this game, but... maaaaaaaaan.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee said:

Also what's especially disappointing is all of these Retro 32 bit skins are apparently DLC and can't be unlocked in the full game =/ And I mean just look at them!

I really don't want to be throwing CAPCOM any more of my cash for this game, but... maaaaaaaaan.

Not in the main game and DLC!?.. But against all good reasons I want these..The Jake one looks pretty cool

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Mikey2D

I had quite a blast this morning playing mercenaries mode. Was just playing with randomers over XBLA, but after a few games managed to get 150 kills on Urban Chaos, which so far is the only level I actually have. Unlocked a rather 'interesting' police uniform for Helena and got to witness someone else playing Chris in a kimono which was a little odd.

I'm a little surprised there are only three stages for this - would be great to see some more. I'm imagining this'll be DLC? (I have no idea if this has been annoucned or what)

How do you unlock the other two stages? Is it just through playing the main story? (so far I've played about an hour on Leon only)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nice to see something about this game is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm glad. Mercenaries was the best thing about Resident Evil 5.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@Yummylee said:

Retro Piers's hair is certainly something else.

@Mikey2D said:

I'm a little surprised there are only three stages for this - would be great to see some more. I'm imagining this'll be DLC? (I have no idea if this has been annoucned or what)

How do you unlock the other two stages? Is it just through playing the main story? (so far I've played about an hour on Leon only)

There were three different maps that were available as pre-order bonuses at GameStop (The Catacombs), Amazon (High Seas Fortress), and Best Buy (Rail Yard). I can't imagine that they won't put these out sometime soon as DLC, probably around the same time they release those awesome retro skins.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Yummylee hoooooooollllllyyyy shit I may have to actually buy damn costumes. Can we use these if we play through the story again or is it Mercs only?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@Sackmanjones: No, just Mercenaries as far as I can gather. Which I'm OK with... not like I have much desire to ever head back into RE6's campaigns again...

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SuperWristBands

Speaking of costumes... anyone know if the residentevil.net costumes are available in game or do I gotta do more stuff on there to unlock them?

EDIT: Oh man, the site finally updated. Not as hard to get points as I thought it was gonna be.

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Dragon4234

Managed to get a million points yesterday so good.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

@Sackmanjones said:

@Yummylee hoooooooollllllyyyy shit I may have to actually buy damn costumes. Can we use these if we play through the story again or is it Mercs only?

I think only mercs but man thats a shame because I'd love to run around as 32 bit leon with my infinite magnum just wasting shit. It would be even more ridiculous to see the skins in the context of them interacting with characters who weren't wearing the skins. Apparently also there is another difficulty mode called "No Hope" for campaign and 10 maps along with the multiplayer modes that were leaked out. I'm actually pretty interested in the one competive mercs mode. Its almost like the same concept as a battle tetris game. You kill zombies and then you can cash in your combo and when you cash in a combo it sends all those zombies to your opponents game.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Demoskinos said:

I'm actually pretty interested in the one competive mercs mode. Its almost like the same concept as a battle tetris game. You kill zombies and then you can cash in your combo and when you cash in a combo it sends all those zombies to your opponents game.

That actually sounds really cool. I wonder if they'll bungle it up.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

Wow nice. Just did over a million point run on Urban Chaos with a random. We combo'ed the entire level all 150 enemies. We nearly lost the combo a few times due to the Whopper's refusal to die. Also Ada's quickshot with the explosive arrows is fuggin amazing! Its so good for taking out bloodshots!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.