Panic is starting to set in.

• 143 results
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

EDIT: Yes I know, panic is a bad word but oh well! Cant change thread titles!

There have been a few good reviews out fro RE6 and whether you take them to heart or not is up to you. I believe the 3 are

Play 88

OPM 90

Famitsu 39/40

However, I just checked the gamespot mobile site and found this

That ladies and gentlemen is a real nasty score. I can understand some people with different tastes and of course not everyone will like it but this is troublesome if this really is the score (of course I would like to read the review to get more depth but still). I will be getting the game and I will enjoy it for what it is but my expectations have been set lower than previously.

I guess we shall see soon, I am hoping for the best but I am a bit shaken...

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Some games are just polarizing. Some people will HATE it while others will love it. Don sweat it if you're into the game then have fun with it.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Some games are just polarizing. Some people will HATE it while others will love it. Don sweat it if you're into the game then have fun with it.

I enjoyed the demo, Im a crazy RE fan, I will have enough fun with the game.

#4 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Play and Famitsu are totally not trustable. Early reviews in general are skewed. Just from what I played from the demo, the game was pretty bad and I would bet on it reviewing pretty badly. BUT - If you liked the demo, and you love RE what do you have to worry about? They aren't you.

#5 Edited by EXTomar (4494 posts) -

Ultimately, a review score is someone's opinion which doesn't mean anything if you will like or dislike something. If RE6 turns out to be a fun game then it is difference of opinion where you should praise Capcom. If RE6 is dubious then it is not your fault where you should take it out on Capcom. You don't need to like or dislike what "everyone" likes or dislikes.

#6 Posted by stryker1121 (1340 posts) -

If accurate that IS rather shocking for a AAA game. Can't tell u the last time I've seen a score that low for a big-selling series. My worries for the game is that it's trying to be everything to everyone and will collapse under the strain. Hope I'm wrong.

#7 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

Famitsu is not trust worthy.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

That score doesn't surprise me at all, the demo was shambles and I'm still shocked RE5 was scored highly.

#9 Posted by wemibelec90 (1547 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

If you liked the demo, odds are you will enjoy the game. Don't worry about what everyone else says.

I personally hated the demo and no amount of RE love I have (which is enormous) will get me to play this for $60. I will wait.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5538 posts) -

I've always felt like Gamespot tended to score a little lower than average, but still that's a really harsh score, let's hope the review clears things up.

#11 Posted by cannonballBAM (583 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Demoskinos said:

I think both of your opinions are valid and just play the game YOU want to play.

I can't tell you how many games I enjoy that most people dislike. Support the developer and product you enjoy and keep the hype alive.

#12 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

ESRB: D? Dafaq?

#13 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

I'd much rather watch someone play it on YouTube. The story seems like it'll be great but the game plays like shit. I can't play a game with bad controls like that for more then 20 hours. I'll just end up being bored to death.

#14 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

Remember when they were one of the most critical sources of video game reviews around? Ahhhh, times change...

#15 Posted by TheShoebox (29 posts) -

I personally thought it was a horrible demo, so it doesn't look bright for the full game for me.

But as the others have said, you have your own right to form your own opinion about it, so go ahead and have fun with it!

#16 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

GameSpot is filled with a bunch of fucking chuckle heads, I wouldn't take anything they say with less then half a pound of salt. Also opinions.

#17 Edited by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Me too . Let's just have fun with this and let all the experts say what they will .

I do understand that it won't be amazing , but I surprisingly really enjoyed the demo . It took some time to accept that Resident Evil is going this direction , but now I think it's all good . I think it'll be solid .

#18 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I'd much rather watch someone play it on YouTube. The story seems like it'll be great but the game plays like shit. I can't play a game with bad controls like that for more then 20 hours. I'll just end up being bored to death.

Haven't you played any other RE game ? That's always what will make Resident Evil awesome and bad at the same time . The controls have always been kinda crappy , but somehow everything else is so engaging . It's weird but wonderful :D I always expect bad controls because , in a way , I want that :P

Lol , this is really hard to explain . It's nostalgic . Re2 was the first game I've ever completed

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Viking_Funeral said:

@Wes899 said:

Remember when they were one of the most critical sources of video game reviews around? Ahhhh, times change...

Yeah it's funny to look at their list of 39s and 40s and just see how they used to be awarded like once or twice a year, if that, then suddenly there's like 4-5 39s and a couple 40s every year.

#20 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Famitsu is a joke and RE 6 looks horrendous. And this is from someone who loved RE 5.

#21 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

GameSpot is filled with a bunch of fucking chuckle heads, I wouldn't take anything they say with less then half a pound of salt. Also opinions.

Oh, the irony.

#22 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

As if any of these reviews should be cause for panic, good or bad. 

#23 Posted by vikingdeath1 (928 posts) -

The only thing I didn't like about the demo was the camera.... Jesus Christ did that thing give me trouble

#24 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

#25 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

to be honest re6 might be bad but it does not deserve a 4.5 i hope its a mistake cause the ps3 version got a 0!!

#26 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

i tweeted kevin and he didnt know the score was on gamespot

#27 Posted by MightyDuck (1501 posts) -

I love the RE series as a whole, but I didn't really enjoy the RE6 demo. I just wish they would go back to the ways of the original trilogy. I loved the sense of suspense that would come about with each room you entered. Call me crazy, but I also enjoyed hunting for each new item to get into new areas, etc. RE has just changed too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be a decent shooter, but I don't plan on picking it up.

#28 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I mean, you saw this thread, right? Outlook not looking good.

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I'm surprised your expectations for Resident Evil 6 weren't lowered sooner, considering that all of the pre-release venom surrounding it has ensured that I will not be buying it until it's dirt cheap. But seriously. Opinions. You should wait for the game to come out and form your own.

#30 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

The score has been removed

#31 Posted by Gantrathor (198 posts) -

I rather enjoyed the demo. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it. The aura of negativity surrounding this game is kind of putting me off though. I feel like I'm going to be burned at the stake for even considering buying this game, let alone enjoying it. Is it really that bad of a game? Am I missing something?

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

@Gantrathor said:

I rather enjoyed the demo. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it. The aura of negativity surrounding this game is kind of putting me off though. I feel like I'm going to be burned at the stake for even considering buying this game, let alone enjoying it. Is it really that bad of a game? Am I missing something?

Im buying it still, we can be burned together

#33 Edited by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I fucking hated the RE6 demo so I'm not surprised that it scored low. It controls like shit and it attempts to be a military third person shooter with Chris's campaign and it fails for me. Leon's campaign was tolerable, but good god I disliked the demo. Hope it's better.

#34 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Admit it, we all knew this game was fucked as soon as we heard about it. Considering they thought the changes in gameplay with RE5 were enough, this was gonna turn out crappy.

#35 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Kevin tweeted that he has not even finished the review yet so this is probably a bug/accident.

#36 Posted by Sargus (722 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Kevin tweeted that he has not even finished the review yet so this is probably a bug/accident.

It definitely is. GameSpot does not attach scores to games until after the review is written. If the review is not written there is no score, even in Kevin's head.

#37 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

@awesomeusername said:

Haven't you played any other RE game ? That's always what will make Resident Evil awesome and bad at the same time . The controls have always been kinda crappy , but somehow everything else is so engaging . It's weird but wonderful :D I always expect bad controls because , in a way , I want that :P

Lol , this is really hard to explain . It's nostalgic . Re2 was the first game I've ever completed

RE2 played like balls but that has an excuse. It's old. I don't remember how RE5 handles so I can't comment on that game. I don't want a game with bad controls you weirdo!

#38 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
#39 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

RE5 was pretty polarizing and I can definitely see this game being the same way.

#40 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

That information can't be accurate. I just went onto Gamespot and did not see a review for Resident Evil 6 on their reviews section.

Stay calm, and try not to worry, until we get an official review.

#41 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

@Roger778 said:

That information can't be accurate. I just went onto Gamespot and did not see a review for Resident Evil 6 on their reviews section.

Stay calm, and try not to worry, until we get an official review.

It was on their mobile site and has since been removed. Like I said, I am going to get the game no matter the scores, its just rough to see a (possible) score that low on one of my favorite franchises.

#42 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@spankingaddict said:

@awesomeusername said:

RE2 played like balls but that has an excuse. It's old. I don't remember how RE5 handles so I can't comment on that game. I don't want a game with bad controls you weirdo!

LOL !

RE5 controls worse than RE6 . Resident Evil always has bad controls compared to other current games when they release , is what I'm saying . And they always get away with it which is FINE .

#43 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

PANIC IN THE DISCO!

#44 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

For what it's worth, Game journo's on Twitter have been hinting at how bad the game they're reviewing is without saying what it is for the past week or so. And then saying "wow, famitsu." Today. So...yeah, I'd expect the worse in review scores from: Gamespot, Polygon and IGN, specifically

#45 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

For what it's worth, Game journo's on Twitter have been hinting at how bad the game they're reviewing is without saying what it is for the past week or so. And then saying "wow, famitsu." Today. So...yeah, I'd expect the worse in review scores from: Gamespot, Polygon and IGN, specifically

Where did ya find these???

#46 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@Sackmanjones on my phone so I can't grab the specific tweets easily. Kevin Van Ord, Arthur Gies and Phil Kollar from Polygon, and Mitchy D from IGN. Will edit when I get back home with some links. Van Ord's tweets are in that other thread, though
#47 Edited by falserelic (5323 posts) -

I wasn't feeling the demo so I'm going to pass. Instead I will put my money on PSN and order dishonored. I find that game alot more interesting then RE6. But for people that's purchasing RE6 I hope you get your money's worth, and enjoy the adrenaline pumping, cracked out, over the edge action that the game has to offer.

#48 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

@awesomeusername said:

@spankingaddict said:

@awesomeusername said:

LOL !

RE5 controls worse than RE6 . Resident Evil always has bad controls compared to other current games when they release , is what I'm saying . And they always get away with it which is FINE .

Oh dude come on!... you're CRAZY! RE5 was totally fine the camera is definitely better than it is in RE6, and the controls cannot even compare because you couldn't run and shoot like you can now that's were they screw it up should have stayed like it was in 4/5.

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4592 posts) -

Assassin's Creed got a polarizing reaction as well. Some people loved what it did, others were wrong.

I'm not saying RE6 is anywhere near the quality that the first Assassin's was, but all hope is not quite lost yet.

#50 Posted by theoracleofgame (96 posts) -

I love Resident Evil 4, vowed not to play RE5 for a LONG time. Got hyped about this, then saw the gameplay. Quickly started playing RE5. So yeah. The moral of the story: It can always get worse when Capcom is involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.