Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

What I want Resident Evil 6 to be/feature/other descriptive word.

• 58 results
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

As you may or may not know, I have an...appreciation for the Resident Evil series. I started, like many people, with the "fourth" one, Resident Evil 4. I absolutely loved it, and to this day, it's one of my favorite games. Then, my curiosity peaked, I wanted to play some of the older ones. My time with the (then) recently released DS version of RE1 made me realize how bad (ie AMAZING) voice acting could be, and my time with an N64 version of RE2 was underwhelming, so I decided to stop playing older RE games. Fast forward to 2009, and RE5 is out, which I bought, and proceeded to S-Rank. You will, however, notice that I don't have an S-Rank, because Capcom decided to put out a bunch of DLC with Achievements, and I played none of the DLC. But I still have all the on-disc ones, and put well over 50 hours into that game.

So, as you may expect, I was quite excited to see the Resident Evil 6 trailer yesterday. And I was not disappointed. I won't bore you with the details, but what I saw in that trailer has me really excited (specifically stuff like not only moving and shooting, but crazy Vanquish style rolling and shooting). And just generally speaking, it looks over the top and ridiculous, which is exactly what I want. The day of the slow paced "survival horror" game is all but dead, and I don't mind. I like action.

So, I decided that since I've done pretty much everything I can in Saints Row: The Third (at least without buying the DLC, which I am uncomfortable doing since I used my friend's copy of the game, instead of buying my own) I would write something about what I want to be in RE6.

The return of Krauser.

No Caption Provided

Remember in RE4, when Krauser supposedly dies two or three times? We all know he's not dead. Don't try and pretend Capcom, why else would he be in the Mercenaries mode when Luis (who died) wasn't, and have the image for surviving the mission be Krauser not dead and the island exploding? And with RE6 taking place after RE4, and featuring Leon as one of the three(?) playable protagonists, why not bring him back? Oh, and speaking of Leon...

Leon keeps his super fly jacket this time.

No Caption Provided

Look at that jacket. Everyone remembers it because it was awesome. But he lost it about half an hour into the game, and never wore it again. Even during new game plus, I don't think he had it on because he was using the extra defense vest or something. However, the trailer for RE6 features him in a new, much shinier jacket. I have yet to decide which jacket I prefer, but I hope he keeps the new one throughout. Unless, of course, the original jacket (or a copy of it, because I doubt he ever got the original back) makes a return. That would be awesome.

Seems like he loses it at one point. Sigh.

Improve the lip-syncing.

Now, this is kinda hard to tell from one trailer, but is it just me, or did the lip-syncing in the trailer look kind of...awful? I know it's a minor thing that doesn't effect game-play at all, but when the engine looks so good, and everything else clearly had a ton of time and effort put into making it look good, seeing mouths flapping about and not matching what's being said is really off-putting. Maybe it's a non-issue and just me, or maybe it's because they didn't sync things right for the video, but some of it looked terrible. Specifically the moment when Chris and some other guy are arguing in a locker room (?). Also, in a series that is traditionally all in English, even in Japan (or at least this is what the internet has told me), it seems even weirder that the lip-syncing would be as bad as that trailer makes it look. If there's only going to be one audio track across all versions, there's really no excuse. Or even if there are multiple languages, everyone knows that you cater to the English speaking audience. Why? AMERICA.

Keep co-op, but don't go overboard with it.

No Caption Provided

The decision to introduce co-op into RE5 was certainly controversial (at least amongst the crazy people who enjoy the pre-RE4 games for anything other than the AMAZING voice acting), it was undeniably fun (at least if you thought the main game was fun). And I definitely hope that co-op will return in RE6. But, that does not mean I hope it is in the entire story mode. For example, the Chris campaign, which looks like it'll focus heavily on cover based shooting, would be great for co-op. But the Leon campaign, which looks (while action-y) maybe a little more "survival-y" might be better as a solo affair. Of course, Leon does appear with a lady (a new character, I think), which fits the RE-style of having male and female protagonists, so who knows. Also, I don't know how co-op would work with the third protagonist, because he looks melee focused, and that seems crazy in and of itself, let alone two melee focused characters.

Change Mercenaries Mode somehow.

Mercenaries Mode was pretty fun in RE4, but I never really played it in RE5 because it felt like more of the same. For all I know they changed it up in the DLC for that game, but for all intents and purposes, let's assume they didn't. As such, I'd like to see some changes in it. What, exactly? Dunno. Maybe make it more mission focused. Something like having a concrete objective, like getting into an area to rescue Leon's Jacket, and then get out with the jacket in one piece. Sure, they'll think of something less crazy (and less awesome) to find, but you get my point. Of course they would also keep the original game type, but I feel like something more structured like this would be a good change of pace for the mode.

Make the "new guy" more than just bald Kanji.

If you've seen the trailer, and know anything about Persona 4, you get the reference. I do not mean the way of writing. Troy Baker is appearing in a Nolan North-esque number of games, and as such, he's probably being type-cast like Mr. North was for a while (where every character he did was a variant of Nathan Drake, though that seems to have ended, to a certain extent). And based on the trailer, the new guy looks like a cocky mercenary who's only in it for the money, and he appears to be melee focused. I know the RE games are not known for great character development, but it'd be nice if they did something different with it. Maybe they will. I don't know.

Keep it crazy.

Nolan North in a mocap suit. Why? To capture his motion!

The Resident Evil series has come a long way since the original, which was about exploring a mansion, solving weird puzzles, and trying to run away from zombies. Now it's about three protagonists, one of which rolls around when fighting zombies, one who is armed to the teeth and has a team of commandos, and one whose strategy is apparently to use melee attacks. Oh, and the president is a zombie, and gets shot. That's all in the trailer. Hopefully they're not over-selling the crazy, because if playing Saints Row: The Third has taught me anything, it's that complete and utter insanity is something I want more games to embrace. This game looks like it's embracing it, so I hope they go all the way. RE5 ended with a boss fight inside a volcano, so they've set a high bar, but I'm confident they can top themselves.

So that's about it. I think. More so than anything else, I just hope the game is fun. Changing up the controls to make the game more run and gun-ish (at least based on what I've seen thus far) is a smart move, because really, not being able to move and shoot at the same time is pretty dumb. I don't care whatever arguments you have, it worked fairly well in RE4 and RE5, but I don't think they can get away with it in such an action heavy game a third time. It's just poor design when I go to aim, realize I need to move half a foot to the side because something is blocking my aiming, but can't until I stop aiming.

So here's hoping the game turns out well. Anyone else have any thoughts as to what they do or do not want to see in the game? Did I make some glaring mistakes fiction wise? I know some people think "new guy" is an existing character, but I think he's a new guy. You know, balance out the series two "biggest" protagonists with a new guy. It's what I would do. Well, not really.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

As you may or may not know, I have an...appreciation for the Resident Evil series. I started, like many people, with the "fourth" one, Resident Evil 4. I absolutely loved it, and to this day, it's one of my favorite games. Then, my curiosity peaked, I wanted to play some of the older ones. My time with the (then) recently released DS version of RE1 made me realize how bad (ie AMAZING) voice acting could be, and my time with an N64 version of RE2 was underwhelming, so I decided to stop playing older RE games. Fast forward to 2009, and RE5 is out, which I bought, and proceeded to S-Rank. You will, however, notice that I don't have an S-Rank, because Capcom decided to put out a bunch of DLC with Achievements, and I played none of the DLC. But I still have all the on-disc ones, and put well over 50 hours into that game.

So, as you may expect, I was quite excited to see the Resident Evil 6 trailer yesterday. And I was not disappointed. I won't bore you with the details, but what I saw in that trailer has me really excited (specifically stuff like not only moving and shooting, but crazy Vanquish style rolling and shooting). And just generally speaking, it looks over the top and ridiculous, which is exactly what I want. The day of the slow paced "survival horror" game is all but dead, and I don't mind. I like action.

So, I decided that since I've done pretty much everything I can in Saints Row: The Third (at least without buying the DLC, which I am uncomfortable doing since I used my friend's copy of the game, instead of buying my own) I would write something about what I want to be in RE6.

The return of Krauser.

No Caption Provided

Remember in RE4, when Krauser supposedly dies two or three times? We all know he's not dead. Don't try and pretend Capcom, why else would he be in the Mercenaries mode when Luis (who died) wasn't, and have the image for surviving the mission be Krauser not dead and the island exploding? And with RE6 taking place after RE4, and featuring Leon as one of the three(?) playable protagonists, why not bring him back? Oh, and speaking of Leon...

Leon keeps his super fly jacket this time.

No Caption Provided

Look at that jacket. Everyone remembers it because it was awesome. But he lost it about half an hour into the game, and never wore it again. Even during new game plus, I don't think he had it on because he was using the extra defense vest or something. However, the trailer for RE6 features him in a new, much shinier jacket. I have yet to decide which jacket I prefer, but I hope he keeps the new one throughout. Unless, of course, the original jacket (or a copy of it, because I doubt he ever got the original back) makes a return. That would be awesome.

Seems like he loses it at one point. Sigh.

Improve the lip-syncing.

Now, this is kinda hard to tell from one trailer, but is it just me, or did the lip-syncing in the trailer look kind of...awful? I know it's a minor thing that doesn't effect game-play at all, but when the engine looks so good, and everything else clearly had a ton of time and effort put into making it look good, seeing mouths flapping about and not matching what's being said is really off-putting. Maybe it's a non-issue and just me, or maybe it's because they didn't sync things right for the video, but some of it looked terrible. Specifically the moment when Chris and some other guy are arguing in a locker room (?). Also, in a series that is traditionally all in English, even in Japan (or at least this is what the internet has told me), it seems even weirder that the lip-syncing would be as bad as that trailer makes it look. If there's only going to be one audio track across all versions, there's really no excuse. Or even if there are multiple languages, everyone knows that you cater to the English speaking audience. Why? AMERICA.

Keep co-op, but don't go overboard with it.

No Caption Provided

The decision to introduce co-op into RE5 was certainly controversial (at least amongst the crazy people who enjoy the pre-RE4 games for anything other than the AMAZING voice acting), it was undeniably fun (at least if you thought the main game was fun). And I definitely hope that co-op will return in RE6. But, that does not mean I hope it is in the entire story mode. For example, the Chris campaign, which looks like it'll focus heavily on cover based shooting, would be great for co-op. But the Leon campaign, which looks (while action-y) maybe a little more "survival-y" might be better as a solo affair. Of course, Leon does appear with a lady (a new character, I think), which fits the RE-style of having male and female protagonists, so who knows. Also, I don't know how co-op would work with the third protagonist, because he looks melee focused, and that seems crazy in and of itself, let alone two melee focused characters.

Change Mercenaries Mode somehow.

Mercenaries Mode was pretty fun in RE4, but I never really played it in RE5 because it felt like more of the same. For all I know they changed it up in the DLC for that game, but for all intents and purposes, let's assume they didn't. As such, I'd like to see some changes in it. What, exactly? Dunno. Maybe make it more mission focused. Something like having a concrete objective, like getting into an area to rescue Leon's Jacket, and then get out with the jacket in one piece. Sure, they'll think of something less crazy (and less awesome) to find, but you get my point. Of course they would also keep the original game type, but I feel like something more structured like this would be a good change of pace for the mode.

Make the "new guy" more than just bald Kanji.

If you've seen the trailer, and know anything about Persona 4, you get the reference. I do not mean the way of writing. Troy Baker is appearing in a Nolan North-esque number of games, and as such, he's probably being type-cast like Mr. North was for a while (where every character he did was a variant of Nathan Drake, though that seems to have ended, to a certain extent). And based on the trailer, the new guy looks like a cocky mercenary who's only in it for the money, and he appears to be melee focused. I know the RE games are not known for great character development, but it'd be nice if they did something different with it. Maybe they will. I don't know.

Keep it crazy.

The Resident Evil series has come a long way since the original, which was about exploring a mansion, solving weird puzzles, and trying to run away from zombies. Now it's about three protagonists, one of which rolls around when fighting zombies, one who is armed to the teeth and has a team of commandos, and one whose strategy is apparently to use melee attacks. Oh, and the president is a zombie, and gets shot. That's all in the trailer. Hopefully they're not over-selling the crazy, because if playing Saints Row: The Third has taught me anything, it's that complete and utter insanity is something I want more games to embrace. This game looks like it's embracing it, so I hope they go all the way. RE5 ended with a boss fight inside a volcano, so they've set a high bar, but I'm confident they can top themselves.

So that's about it. I think. More so than anything else, I just hope the game is fun. Changing up the controls to make the game more run and gun-ish (at least based on what I've seen thus far) is a smart move, because really, not being able to move and shoot at the same time is pretty dumb. I don't care whatever arguments you have, it worked fairly well in RE4 and RE5, but I don't think they can get away with it in such an action heavy game a third time. It's just poor design when I go to aim, realize I need to move half a foot to the side because something is blocking my aiming, but can't until I stop aiming.

So here's hoping the game turns out well. Anyone else have any thoughts as to what they do or do not want to see in the game? Did I make some glaring mistakes fiction wise? I know some people think "new guy" is an existing character, but I think he's a new guy. You know, balance out the series two "biggest" protagonists with a new guy. It's what I would do. Well, not really.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MiniPato

I don't think the stand and shoot is inherently bad game design. RE4 is a near perfect game for me. But something felt off in RE5. I don't think they designed the levels and enemies (including number of enemies) well enough to accommodate that kind of gameplay.

Troy Baker isn't typecast as "that one guy" yet. I don't think he has a single role that defines his career, a Nathan Drake. I don't expect anything too deep from his character. Just your typical mercenary type who is later motivated to do the right thing because he discovered new found morals due to his girl partner.

Never cared much for Krauser so I won't miss him if he's not in RE6.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

Hey if the new guy told zombies to "get bent" that would be the best thing ever.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Lazyaza

I for one am hoping the city setting will lead to scenarios and experiences way more remenicsent of the old RE games. Something about being in a city is just so much cooler in Resident Evil than some random european local or africa.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

I really want Wesker in it. I'm not a huge Resident Evil fan so I really don't have any stock in the characters, but I do love Wesker and I want to see more of him.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DoctorTran

I'd love to see Bruce McGivern again. You know... The guy from Dead Aim. Hello, anyone know what I'm talking about? Aw shucks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

@DoctorTran said:

I'd love to see Bruce McGivern again. You know... The guy from Dead Aim. Hello, anyone know what I'm talking about? Aw shucks.

Nobody cares about Dead Aim; even CAPCOM have no fucks to give about Dead Aim ;P

• OK so first off, no Krauser, he sucks and we've already got enough grimacing tough guys in the series as it is now. That's the job for the heroes, the villains need more alive and characteristic and have just a little more to them besides calling everyone comrade and having a chicken wing for an arm.
    • I too would like Leon to see keep his ridiculously stylish coat.
    • CAPCOM will get around to the lip syncing, it's pointless to make a fuss about it. Just look at RE5 and even RE4, they both have solid lip syncing and CAPCOM will leave matching their games to those standards once they've got the more important stuff out of the way.
    • I think it's all but confirmed that each story will focus on cooperative play, and I've been saying all along how Leon's story at least should feature him on his lonesome. The whole point of RE6 I thought was to expand the conventions and offer up gameplay for everyone - including the fans that have, y'know, been building their franchise up since 1996. Maybe they'll at least dial down your ''partner'' during single player, or maybe for Leon's story Helena will only be around for story specific sequences. The gameplay definitely did showcase gameplay of what looked like Leon was on his own. But who knows, maybe that unlockable Ada story will be the one to have you walking down dark-lit hallways on your own, though if the main three don't then I wouldn't hold my breath for the fourth.
    • The Mercenaries Reunion didn't change anything to do with Vanilla Mercs, and have only featured some different characters and ''remixed'' maps with different positions for the time bonuses. As for mercs as a whole, I wouldn't mind if they expanded it some. They'll no doubt bring in all the additions they made from Mercs 3D, like characters who can level up and being able to select buffs and such, and they may even import over whatever they learn with Revelation's RAID mode.
    • Eh, I'm not really interested at all to do with this ''new'' guy; it's Leon and Chris who's got my hype levels overflowing.
    • And finally, stop bitching about the old way of the RE's, you make it sound as if people are always clambering for that exact same design, when more often than not it's instead a return to form as a survival horror game. That doesn't mean that characters have to stay stuck on the spot (though it really wasn't that cumbersome anyway if you just knew how to play it properly) and CAPCOM clearly wouldn't have let that ''stick''... anyway. For me I'm just happy that CAPCOM are showing such ambition with RE, but keeping in tow all this cooperative favoured BS is disheartening.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Abyssfull:

• That's a respectable opinion about Krauser, but I'd still like to have some closure to him (even if it's just a throwaway line about finding his corpse).
    • After re-watching the trailer, it's only that one guy talking to Chris that looks funky, the rest is fine. And again, not really a huge issue even if it wasn't up to snuff.
    • Sorry that I complained about the older RE games. Well, I'm not really sorry, but I guess I did confuse people complaining about the controls with people complaining about the change in genre. I think. And you're right, for the most part, it was just fine, because most encounters and enemies were designed with that in mind. But there definitely were moments where I would be trying to aim around a corner, and something as simple as being able to lean to the side would have made it a bit less clunky, at least compared to the Dead Space games (which are the closest comparisons out of modern games).
    boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By boboblaw

Kinda off topic but I noticed you seemed to use some weird ass choices for systems to play the older resi games on, considering you don't seem to like them have you tried the REmake? Maybe it would do a better job of convincing you on the older games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Boboblaw: I played them on those systems because those were the versions that I came across. It happened to be coming out on DS, so I got that version. I found a copy of RE2 for N64 for cheap, so I bought that one. Neither version seemed broken or anything, but playing the GameCube version of the original probably would improve my opinion of the older games. But at this point the only thing I associate favorably with the original is the voice acting, and I'm okay with that. I know I badmouth the games, but for what the were, I assume they were pretty interesting and worthwhile games back in the day. But they're also not really my thing. I like exploration focused games with puzzles, but the fixed camera angles and "tank" controls really put me off, and I don't think that a graphical improvement would make me like it that much more.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By boboblaw
    @MooseyMcMan: It improves more then the Graphics. It adds new mechanics, good voice acting and new areas as well. But yeah I was just wondering as its generally considered as the best of the old ones (that or Resi 2) so with a more modern touch, features and  graphical update it might be the best chance at getting someone into the more surivival horror type Resident Evil games. Personally I have only finished Code Veronica(back on the Dreamcast), 4 and 5 but I really want to finish 0 and REmake.

Also I didn't mean that the DS and N64 versions were broken just simply that they were weirdish choices to play Resi games on (these days at least).
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Boboblaw: Well, I didn't play them recently. This was back in 2006 when the DS version came out. If I was to go and play them now, I would probably find a more normal way to do it, like downloading the original on PSN, or finding the GameCube copy somewhere. Of course, you had no way of knowing when I played them, so no harm done.

Maybe I'll play the REmake one day. I'd like to, really, but it's not high on my priority list.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By JTB123

I could live without Krauser returning, I did like him in RE4 though, he was the perfect enemy for Leon and I thought they did a great job of characterising him in the right way. Not sure if you have played it or not, but the no mercy mode in RE5 for PC is the mercenaries mode, I'm not sure how they could change it up, maybe go the route of spec ops from modern warfare, which could be pretty awesome and would give them an excuse to throw in some fan service, like a nemesis fight or the T-Zombie from RE2.

I'm not really bothered either way by being able to move and shoot, as long it feels right for the game then by all means change it. People put so much emphasis on that it's ridiculous.

You should definitely try out the Gamecube REmake, the controls will take some getting used to, but if you want the creepiest and most atmospheric Resident Evil, that's the one you want to play.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee

@Boboblaw said:

@MooseyMcMan: It improves more then the Graphics. It adds new mechanics, good voice acting and new areas as well. But yeah I was just wondering as its generally considered as the best of the old ones (that or Resi 2) so with a more modern touch, features and graphical update it might be the best chance at getting someone into the more surivival horror type Resident Evil games. Personally I have only finished Code Veronica(back on the Dreamcast), 4 and 5 but I really want to finish 0 and REmake. Also I didn't mean that the DS and N64 versions were broken just simply that they were weirdish choices to play Resi games on (these days at least).

And despite the tank controls, it actually plays surprisingly smooth. You never feel like you can't run away because of how swift and fast the movement is. The zombies are of course super slow, so should you actually decide to fight them there's always enough time to nail 'em before they reach you; though of course like any good ole fashioned RE game, it's always advised to hug the wall anyway. The Hunters can be tougher to counter, but by the time they enter the fray, you should be comfortable with the controls.

Also it's the goddamn Spencer Mansion! It's the best and most iconic RE environment for good reason, and to see it all with such stellar graphics--which totally hold up surprisingly enough; if they were doused in some HD they would look fan-tabby-tastic-- and the huge, sprawling mansion fucking preys on your need to explore. And even if you've played the first game, the remake still has enough surprises in there to make it more so of a reimagining than a remake, it was all so meticulously put together with the clear desire to store dozens of shocks and a twists for veterans.

But of course if you really can't get back into the tank-controls and the camera angles, then the REmake naturally won't completely twist your perceptions upside down. Though it's still the most accessible of the old-school titles and something that's at least worth a try. Because if you can get past your disliking of the controls and such, you're met with one of the best Resident Evils of the series and just simply a brilliant horror game at that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Abyssfull: I know, I know! I just don't have the time. But if/when I do ever get around to playing it, I will make sure to write something up on my thoughts.

You know, I'm kinda surprised that version hasn't seen some sort of HD re-release, like how RE4 and Code Veronica were last year. That would certainly be easier than trying to find a copy online.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@MooseyMcMan: I think it's all to do with licensing; Nintendo own the rights to both the REmake and RE0 or something like that. In any case, I'm pretty sure that CAPCOM aren't allowed to release either on anything but a Nintendo console. Having them ported the WiiU-store or whatever as HD re-releases is the only solution, though I doubt CAPCOM would even care at that point.

You can at least find them on the Wii easily enough and just play 'em with a gamecube controller.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Abyssfull: That makes sense. I wasn't sure how much Nintendo had to do with that, because as we all know, RE4 did not stay exclusive to the GameCube for very long.

And yeah, I also have great doubts about the WiiU store, just in general, but that's a discussion for another forum.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By icicle7x3

Barry Burton, that is all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@Icicle7x3 said:

Barry Burton, that is all.

That goes without saying for every Resident Evil game. But then again, if CAPCOM are willing to dig deep and potentially pull in characters like Sherry Birkin and Steve Burnside, then there's hope that they'll just do an MGS4 and just dump 'em all in; Barry, Rebecca, Billy - and bring in some tofu while they're at it.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blueduck

@MooseyMcMan said:

It doesn't seem like you have an appreciation for the RE series but an appreciation for a certain style of third person action game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Resident Evil needs to go back to the time when it was a "believable" pandora box scenario of science run rampant. The RE universe had rules which were broken, and later eviscerated by RE4 and RE5, and quickly turned it into a monster mash action flick. I don't want big spectacles, I don't want massive shoot outs, I don't want on rail sequences or roadie runs. I want an isolated hallway, a limited number of bullets, and the undead shuffling towards me. I want to know that I won't be fighting a giant and climbing up his bean stalk, but instead what could be around the corner is a deformed monstrosity which was once man, but now has been twisted by science.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Cincaid

@MooseyMcMan: Very nice read, thanks for that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@allworkandlowpay said:

Resident Evil needs to go back to the time when it was a "believable" pandora box scenario of science run rampant. The RE universe had rules which were broken, and later eviscerated by RE4 and RE5, and quickly turned it into a monster mash action flick. I don't want big spectacles, I don't want massive shoot outs, I don't want on rail sequences or roadie runs. I want an isolated hallway, a limited number of bullets, and the undead shuffling towards me. I want to know that I won't be fighting a giant and climbing up his bean stalk, but instead what could be around the corner is a deformed monstrosity which was once man, but now has been twisted by science.

This is exactly how I wanted things for the longest time after RE4. But I've adjusted and just accepted the fact that that kind of Resident Evil is long gone, as has Survival-Horror for the most part. Even Dead Space, which was there to prove that a current-gen survival-horror franchise could work, has quickly transitioned into a full-on massive scale action series with its sequel.

There are games like Amy, who I can respect for trying to rebirth survival-horror and make it seem plausible, but the terrible reviews and backlash is only going to ward away anyone else who wanted to bring that kind of structure back all the more. Silent Hill Downpour is the only remaining beacon of hope. If that tanks, then I think it's going to be a good long while before there'll be anything of note for the sub-genre.

As for RE6 (and Revelations, too), I can take solace that they may be at least flirting with the idea of returning to form and giving players long, darklit hallways, effective jump-scares and an ever present sense of dread, but then there's of course the notion that even Leon's story is meant to forever have him with a partner, always at the ready to ruin the mood with some chitty chatty banter and remind you that you're not on your own. It's too early to tell since there were parts of that trailer that shown Leon on his own, but given how big the franchise has got and how all the people who joined from RE4 onwards want cooperative play forever and for all, it's hard to get your voice heard over the numbers. RE5 is currently the best selling RE game to date after all; course they're going to build up on their action-focussed cooperative stuff.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Abyssfull: Apparently Capcom has confirmed that RE6 will have six player co-op, so who the hell knows what's going on with it. http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-6-6-player-co-op-8-player-multiplayer-220162.phtml

Oh yeah, I know. Plus there's to be another 8 player mode, too... I'm assuming that the 6 player mode is either some sort of Arcade Mode, where you play through story stages without the context of the campaign for high scores, or an updated Mercenaries mode.

The 8 player mode will most likely be a competitive thing not unlike that terribad Versus mode from RE5.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nottle

As long as Troy Baker talks about his tainted blood... flowing to his loins, OOHHHH!

Also Leon and Chis need to meet face to face. Also 6 player co-op better be something a bit better than mercenaries.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Nottle said:

As long as Troy Baker talks about his tainted blood... flowing to his loins, OOHHHH!

Also Leon and Chis need to meet face to face. Also 6 player co-op better be something a bit better than mercenaries.

Everyone knows male voice three was the way to go in SR3! Robin Atkin Downes is mad-British!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Nottle said:

Everyone knows male voice three was the way to go in SR3! Robin Atkin Downes is mad-British!

Oddly enough, Downes is also totally starring in a Resident Evil game this year, too... it's not exactly matching the scale of a numbered sequel, but it'd be neat if he steps up for a larger role within the series down the line. He has the perfect voice for hamming it up as some archetypal villain, as the Uncharted series has already proven. He would of made for a pretty good Wesker even.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikeGosot
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@Abyssfull: Apparently Capcom has confirmed that RE6 will have six player co-op, so who the hell knows what's going on with it. http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-6-6-player-co-op-8-player-multiplayer-220162.phtml

Scary co-op is possible, even if you have a lot of guns too. I played through Metro 2033 taking turns with my cousin and we were scared with that game, shit was INTENSE. I mean, i've played through the two Dead Space games, the first three RE's, Sillent Hill 2, 3 & 4 and Amnesia and the first time i was scared playing a videogame was with Metro 2033. It's all about atmosphere, resource management and enemies that are stronger than you, and i bet RE6 will have all of that. You will all see. 

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom won't limit the cooperative mode for the sake of making a few hardcore gamers feel extra special for running out of bullets. However, limiting what another player can do might be a little more realistic. For instance, lockpicking/feats of strength/hacking/playing the piano, using certain weapons and scenarios involving retarded button presses. Does it make it too easy? Sure, but you can always play alone. 
    Barry. Where's Barry.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last thing I want is any sort of co-op resembling what was in Resident Evil 5. Well actually the last thing I want is anything that reminds me of Resident Evil 5. :) Sorry I have long loved the Resident Evil series and RE5 sadly, was just absolutely heartbreaking.

If they do decide to add Co-Op I think it would be nice if it was actually meaningful and not just added as a retarded mechanic that never goes above the complexity of "Stay still and hold this lever, then your partner goes through the door. Then they hold the lever on their side and you go through the door! WOW!"

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I agree with all of your points but I must add one. For fucks sake keep Wesker the hell away from RE6. Let him stay dead.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@MariachiMacabre said:

I agree with all of your points but I must add one. For fucks sake keep Wesker the hell away from RE6. Let him stay dead.

But it's a prequel. Or in-between-quel. At least parts of it take place before RE5, which means that during those parts, Wesker is not dead, but very much alive.

But I've always thought, and will continue to think, that not even a volcano and two rockets can kill Wesker. NOTHING STOPS THE WESKER!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee

@MooseyMcMan said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

But it's a prequel. Or in-between-quel. At least parts of it take place before RE5, which means that during those parts, Wesker is not dead, but very much alive.

But I've always thought, and will continue to think, that not even a volcano and two rockets can kill Wesker. NOTHING STOPS THE WESKER!

I don't think Wesker's coming back, or at least not Albert anywhoo (what with the strong assumptions from a lot of people that Young Ginger Ocelot is Alex). D.C Douglas tweeted that he hasn't been called up to voice Wesker for RE6... wait, haven't I already told you this?? I forget which RE6 threads I've posted what in... Bottom line is: I highly doubt Wesker will be back for this.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm

@Abyssfull said:

• OK so first off, no Krauser, he sucks and we've already got enough grimacing tough guys in the series as it is now. That's the job for the heroes, the villains need more alive and characteristic and have just a little more to them besides calling everyone comrade and having a chicken wing for an arm.

Hey asshole, it was the deadliest chicken wing the world ever saw!

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By benspyda

Good

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Abyssfull said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I don't think Wesker's coming back, or at least not Albert anywhoo (what with the strong assumptions from a lot of people that Young Ginger Ocelot is Alex). D.C Douglas tweeted that he hasn't been called up to voice Wesker for RE6... wait, haven't I already told you this?? I forget which RE6 threads I've posted what in... Bottom line is: I highly doubt Wesker will be back for this.

The problem with Wesker is that Capcom made him into the stereotypical hypnotic, shadowy evil man. He can come back once they get a writer who can make him interesting.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By blueduck

@allworkandlowpay said:

This is how I feel. RE 4 was a good game but not a good RE game. RE5 was total shit and this game looks like RE5 again. @Abyssfull said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

This is exactly how I wanted things for the longest time after RE4. But I've adjusted and just accepted the fact that that kind of Resident Evil is long gone, as has Survival-Horror for the most part. Even Dead Space, which was there to prove that a current-gen survival-horror franchise could work, has quickly transitioned into a full-on massive scale action series with its sequel.

There are games like Amy, who I can respect for trying to rebirth survival-horror and make it seem plausible, but the terrible reviews and backlash is only going to ward away anyone else who wanted to bring that kind of structure back all the more. Silent Hill Downpour is the only remaining beacon of hope. If that tanks, then I think it's going to be a good long while before there'll be anything of note for the sub-genre.

As for RE6 (and Revelations, too), I can take solace that they may be at least flirting with the idea of returning to form and giving players long, darklit hallways, effective jump-scares and an ever present sense of dread, but then there's of course the notion that even Leon's story is meant to forever have him with a partner, always at the ready to ruin the mood with some chitty chatty banter and remind you that you're not on your own. It's too early to tell since there were parts of that trailer that shown Leon on his own, but given how big the franchise has got and how all the people who joined from RE4 onwards want cooperative play forever and for all, it's hard to get your voice heard over the numbers. RE5 is currently the best selling RE game to date after all; course they're going to build up on their action-focussed cooperative stuff.

Amy was just a bad game so I wouldn't take that as a sign that survival-horror is dead. Capcom took the RE series this way because it makes more money selling to the general public, who also doesn't care for story. Also Dead space was never survival-horror.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm fine with Dead Space being the "future" of survival horror. Even Resident Evil 4's gameplay mechanics were fine. But the absolute lack of horror and a reasonably sane story in RE5 was an absolutely travesty.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee

@blueduck: I know Amy was a bad game, but the fact that is was also an attempt at survival-horror for this gen is what's going to stick out. Developers and critics may see that as another nail in the coffin as to why survival-horror simply can't survive in these times. And I know CAPCOM are going down a more mainstream action-orientated path because it sells more, I said that in the very post you quoted.

Also I'd argue that the original Dead Space at least has a lot of survival-horror tropes; it could of been the next-step for the sub-genre if it pushed a little more forward towards the survival portion of it. The limited inventory, slow pace, jump scares, haunting atmosphere - the fact that you do also kill mostly everything in your path is the caveat that had to be accepted. Playing Dead Space on Impossible mode, though, was incredibly tense, and there were portions were I would actually run away. Not to mention the part with the regenerating necromorpth, too. I'd say while it did feature a lot of action, the survival-horror part still came first. Whereas for Dead Space 2 the priorities were reversed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yummylee

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull said:

He at least made for a brilliant boss battle, and he was fun to play as in Mercenaries too, but I still didn't like him as a character.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By blueduck

@Abyssfull said:

@blueduck: I know Amy was a bad game, but the fact that is was also an attempt at survival-horror for this gen is what's going to stick out. Developers and critics may see that as another nail in the coffin as to why survival-horror simply can't survive in these times. And I know CAPCOM are going down a more mainstream action-orientated path because it sells more, I said that in the very post you quoted.

Also I'd argue that the original Dead Space at least has a lot of survival-horror tropes; it could of been the next-step for the sub-genre if it pushed a little more forward towards the survival portion of it. The limited inventory, slow pace, jump scares, haunting atmosphere - the fact that you do also kill mostly everything in your path is the caveat that had to be accepted. Playing Dead Space on Impossible mode, though, was incredibly tense, and there were portions were I would actually run away. Not to mention the part with the regenerating necromorpth, too. I'd say while it did feature a lot of action, the survival-horror part still came first. Whereas for Dead Space 2 the priorities were reversed.

Amy was a bad game and that has no effect on what is happening to the survival-horror gen, it's dead. Even if you don't care for this sub gen its death is a symptom of a terrible plague that's eating up the game industry and that's the generalization of all game gens. Every sub gen is being watered down to generic action game with the only difference being what you're killing and the setting.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

@Abyssfull said:

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull said:

He at least made for a brilliant boss battle, and he was fun to play as in Mercenaries too, but I still didn't like him as a character.

He's a pretty generic power-hungry soldier with a giant scar on his face. His last name is Krauser though. That's pretty great.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yummylee

@blueduck said:

@Abyssfull said:

Amy was a bad game and that has no effect on what is happening to the survival-horror gen, it's dead. Even if you don't care for this sub gen its death is a symptom of a terrible plague that's eating up the game industry and that's the generalization of all game gens. Every sub gen is being watered down to generic action game with the only difference being what you're killing and the setting.

Of course I care for survival-horror, I used to rant and rave about its decline all the time. But I got tired because clearly nobody cares, and now I'm just grateful for actual horror games now. Dead Space may not be the same sort of survival-horror that RE2 was, but it's the some of the closest you can find and I'm happy it exists.

Hell, even with the current state of RE, I'd be grateful if they'd just allow me to play the fucking thing on my own let alone whether I can explore some mansion, manage inventory and solve puzzles that don't take like 5 seconds. The progression of horror games defeated me, and I've adjusted and learned to accept what I can get because lord knows it's not going to change. I'm plucking at straws because there's so little else, so sure, RE is never going to take a hold if its glory days, but for me at least they've proven to be really fun action games - well RE4 was, RE5 was a mess that couldn't decide wtf it wanted to be. And hence why I'd consider the original Dead Space a survival-horror game - for its time.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Abyssfull I think this is extremely likely. I think all te S.T.A.R.S members will return and this includes Wesker since I think technically (if my timeline is right) this is a prequel to 5 but after 4. This means we may see what Wesker does with the virus Ada steals at the end of 4. If we see a Wesker vs. Chris/Leon fight this will be y game of the year forever.

Ya it makes sense

Also I could go without Billy. Given I haven't played too much of zero I don't really like him. But hey that could easily change. Also there could Claire????
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think Krauser is a dumb character, hope Capcom keeps him dead.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

I'd rather see more of H.U.N.K. than Krauser, tbh. Now he has style. Looking forward to the new strafing and cover system approach. Very excited.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jillsandwich

You know, Separate Ways mode in the ports of RE4 explained the fate of Leon's jacket.

Also, the final boss fight of this game should take place in a blue volcano(blue lava being hotter than red lava, science), on fire, falling through the Earth's atmosphere through space. With like, sixty Wesker clones.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@jillsandwich: At that point it's pretty much Bayonetta, so yes. I approve.

Also, worth noting that the latest trailer confirms that Leon loses his jacket. Sigh.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I want it to be the dumbest in the best way possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.