Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

What really bugs me about the criticisms against this game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RAMBO604

The thing that just outright confuses me about all the backlash against RE6 is that it is like everybody suddenly forgot every other Resident Evil game except 4 right as soon as this one came out.

The hindsight opinion of everyone in the enthusiast video games press seems to be that the first four games (1,2,3,CV) are all horrible monstrosities that control like crap and have ridiculous overwrought story lines. An opinion I think is undeserved aside from the story which is truthfully really absurd, but the tank controls where perfectly fine. Then suddenly RE6 comes out the general reaction seems to be "what this game is terrible and ruined the franchise, it has terrible controls and the plot is just stupid", "RE4 was a flawless gem with great controls and such a radical twist on the story throwing out 9/10's of the RE universe that all is forgiven".

These schools of thought just outright piss me off because people are slamming what is a perfectly good B- or C+ video game with scores in the 30's and 40's outraged at how dare Capcom make a Resident Evil that controls like crap and has no substance to the plot. But these same people would likely say the exact same thing about the old RE games if they were brought up on a podcast or other venue for discussion.

It's not defense force or justification, or some dumb ass conspiracy theory like some people are calling. It's out and out hypocrisy, you can't levy the same complaints against a games predecessors then slam that game and praise what you had been shitting on before.

The game has flaws, its still enjoyable and not offensively bad as some critics have suggested. N'Gai Croal is absolutely right that RE6 is a watershed moment between the relationship between Triple A games and reviewers.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Dezztroy
    @RAMBO604 said:
    It's out and out hypocrisy
     You just described just about all press, ever.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

If the series got really, really good about controls and then went to shit again then yes, people would have a right to complain. Also, it isn't the late '90s anymore, it's 2012 - if controls are bad then people have a right to complain about them.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Phatmac

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I doubt that people that never liked the old Resident Evils games are claiming to like them now. Perhaps it is possible that fans of those game don't like Re6. They after all are nothing alike.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

@Phatmac said:

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jams

@RAMBO604: I have a 1997 EGM magazine at home that I've been reading. On this magazine, Resident Evil is considers to be great. There is a preview for the director's cut where they predict that it might be the greatest game to come out. So back in 1997, the tank controls were about the only real problem with the game. What I'm saying is, they were considered really good games in their time. But now, they're have fallen to the wayside.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

@Napalm said:

@Phatmac said:

It isn't going to stop. People did the same thing with Mass Effect 3 on here.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Napalm said:

@Phatmac said:

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mordukai

@believer258 said:

If the series got really, really good about controls and then went to shit again then yes, people would have a right to complain. Also, it isn't the late '90s anymore, it's 2012 - if controls are bad then people have a right to complain about them.

I will agree to that. Nowadays bad controls is inexcusable. Back then developers at least could have justified it with hardware limitation or simply lack of proper knowledge.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ghost_cat

People's expectations change with the times because, you know, technology and design advances. Get over it.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stryker1121

I disagree about the hindsight comment. RE1, 2, 3, REmake on Gamecube are all considered classics. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make her tbh.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@believer258 said:

This and...

@Phatmac said:

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CaLe

Other games besides Resident Evil exist. It's fair to compare this game to those games, and in doing so its weaknesses seem to be very apparent.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

@Phatmac said:

STOP READING THESE THREADS.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We already have more than enough of these threads. We don't need another.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.