Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Will you play Leon's story in coop or single player?

• 51 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Reading (and hearing, notably Jeff on the podcast) that Leon's story is totally meant to be a surprisingly tense and slow build, rife with jump scares and a significantly slower pace than anything to do with RE5, it got me thinking that I really wouldn't want to play that specific part with a friend. I personally think they should have had Leon's segment completely solo anyway considering the specific atmosphere and pacing they're going for anywhoo, and now after checking out the specifics, the last thing I'll need when I'm slowly walking down a dark-lit hallway is a guy mumbling shit in my ear (although with the right person, maybe that could actually make things creepier..). I could play without headsets, but there'll always be something specific that another player might do that'll completely ruin the atmosphere.

And even though Leon's segment will evidently feature some action-packed scenarios, the gloomier atmosphere will still stand paramount above all else. Chris' ''EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE'' motif demands that you play coop, and even Jake Muller's story looks like it may benefit with a friend in tow. But Leon's I'm certain I'll want to tackle on my own first; I'll more than likely play through again with a mate afterwards, but I want to take it all in as much as I can for my first playthrough. Much like I did with Lost in Nightmares for RE5. Hell, even RE5 I completed on my own first...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm going to wind up playing the whole game alone, so single player.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Single player. I always like playing games solo first. THEN I'll play coop if people I play with are still playing it.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By beargirl1

single player first, then co-op

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@AjayRaz said:

The whole game or just Leon's story? Hmm... maybe I should have asked if people are going to play RE6 solo or coop. But after hearing how so damn precious the coop is to a lot of people with RE now, I felt like practically everyone would play it coop. Hence why I'm singling out Leon's story only.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

Probably single player first than co-op. There will probably be some achievements for doing it on sole and co-op so that's my incentive mostly. Plus, RE games have some great reasons for multiple runs so I hope that remains true. I'm just excited for the possibility of a feud between Leon and Chris. Real pumped for this game.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By N7

Resident Evil 5 was so stupid to play alone it wasn't even funny. "Sheva, I'm dying! Help me!" "Okay!" *Breaks crates half way across the map*

So I will play it co-op.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@N7 said:

Resident Evil 5 was so stupid to play alone it wasn't even funny. "Sheva, I'm dying! Help me!" "Okay!" *Breaks crates half way across the map* So I will play it co-op.

Sheva was finnnnnnnnnne. Just stick her with a machine gun and Sniper Rifle and she was like your guardian angel. Except on PRO mode, though; fuck that noise.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Liquidus

Definitely single player.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

No "Both" option?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@MikeGosot said:

No "Both" option?

I mean for your first playthrough. Maybe I could have added more options, but whatever, I got lazy. Speak your mind, peoples! Don't limit your opinion to a single % bump on a poll.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By N7
    @Abyssfull said:

@N7 said:

Resident Evil 5 was so stupid to play alone it wasn't even funny. "Sheva, I'm dying! Help me!" "Okay!" *Breaks crates half way across the map* So I will play it co-op.

Sheva was finnnnnnnnnne. Just stick her with a machine gun and Sniper Rifle and she was like your guardian angel. Except on PRO mode, though; fuck that noise.

It seemed like all my friends bailed when I went for Professional, and playing with randoms was a huge no-no. She was my only option.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

Where's both? Or do you mean first? If my brother doesn't want to do it co-op first, then I'll probably play it on my own, which is what I'd like to do first.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Abyssfull: Oh, i see. Well, Single player, probably. I don't see my Couch Co-Op buddy in a while, so it'll take a while for me to play co-op, but when i get the chance, i'll play co-op.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@N7 said:

@Abyssfull said:

@N7 said:

It seemed like all my friends bailed when I went for Professional, and playing with randoms was a huge no-no. She was my only option.

I still haven't completed it on PRO because the AI is so clearly not fit to function when you each die with like one hit, and then your 'dying' state just fucking pours out within a single second. It's all that stands in my way between me and RE5's platinum too. You should help us out with that sometime >_>

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Wemibelle

I don't have any friends who play a wide variety of games (they all only play WoW and LoL) so I rarely play co-op games with anyone. Played through RE5 several times solo and this game won't be any different.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

I will want to do coop unless they fix the AI for the computer partner. If the partner works good as an AI, then I'll do single player.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By N7
    @Abyssfull: Name the time and the place.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Co-op, I played Resi 5 with a buddy and the 'scary' moments in that were fine with him, we were both there for the atmosphere and story so didn't ruin it for each other, in a way it even heightened the tension knowing someone else was there to here me potentially freak out. I wouldn't play it with some random though.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Casey25

my first RE game was RE5, which i played coop with friends and absolutely loved it. I will definitely be playing this one coop as well.

I find that if a game ever has an option for coop, then that is almost always the best choice, usually because without a buddy you've got sketchy AI partners that can make things difficult. The only exception might be the Halo series. Coop is great in halo as well, but it's not necessarily better than single player since a lot of the cool moments in the story are when you (MC) are alone against huge odds.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust

I'll wait for the reviews as RE 5 had a lot annoying stuff besides Sheva. If it is fixed and they make the single player campaign fun, I'll give it a run.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting it on PC so I'll probably be playing it alone unless one of my friends decides to get it on PC as well, which is highly unlikely. That and the PC version is probably going to be delayed by three to six months in classic Capcom fashion so it decreases the chance anyone I know will pick it up for PC.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beargirl1

@Abyssfull: everything single player first. that's how i played Resident Evil 5. Sheva wasn't that bad at least until i played with a human player

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#25  Edited By EpicBenjamin
    @James_Giant_Peach

Co-op, I played Resi 5 with a buddy and the 'scary' moments in that were fine with him, we were both there for the atmosphere and story so didn't ruin it for each other, in a way it even heightened the tension knowing someone else was there to here me potentially freak out. I wouldn't play it with some random though.

Same here.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It clearly appears like everyone has a partner. Leon has whoever that girl is. Chris has that other soldier. Troy Baker has ... I thought she was Ashley, but she's Sherry? Okay, I guess.

Really though... fucking Chris and Jill, put 'em together. Brothers to the end you motherfuckers.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yummylee

@N7 said:

@Abyssfull: Name the time and the place.

I'll be good anytime tomorrow most likely.

@James_Giant_Peach said:

RE5 wasn't scariest in the slightest under any circumstances; playing with a friend during that hardly pulled you out of the atmosphere because it was often always frantic and fast-paced. I still would have much preferred to have RE5 as a completely solo joint, but the game still had a distinctively out-of-the-ordinary atmosphere for an RE game that having a friend along hardly detracted. This is why I specifically asked about Leon's story, because it looks to centre around the sort of tone and pacing reminiscent of RE games like Revelations and RE4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Brodehouse said:

It clearly appears like everyone has a partner. Leon has whoever that girl is. Chris has that other soldier. Troy Baker has ... I thought she was Ashley, but she's Sherry? Okay, I guess.

Really though... fucking Chris and Jill, put 'em together. Brothers to the end you motherfuckers.

Apparently I'm totally right about Leon and Girl, Chris and Soldier, and Troy Baker and I Guess Sherry.

@Abyssfull:  I dunno, dude.  The first time I played 1-1 and figured I should just stay in the house having them come in from every angle and the Executioner knocking down the wall was taxing.  It wasn't suspenseful it was OH GOD GET OUT.

Few months ago I got my friend Sheldon to try it, and the cave sequence appeared to bother him a lot.  Maybe I should've let him hold the lantern.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Abyssfull said:

I still haven't completed it on PRO because the AI is so clearly not fit to function when you each die with like one hit, and then your 'dying' state just fucking pours out within a single second. It's all that stands in my way between me and RE5's platinum too. You should help us out with that sometime >_>

Here's what you do: Beat the game on easy in under five hours. That unlocks the infinite rocket launcher.

Profit.

EDIT: I beat it on Pro in single player. Go check my Achievements. That'll at least prove half of that statement.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By DarthOrange

Whole game single player first, then co-op, just like RE5. I like to go at my own pace the first time through and in co-op I always feel my partner is too fast or too slow.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NegativeCero

Co-op, it may ruin the atmosphere, but a friend and I are way too excited for this game to not immediately jump in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse: That house part was pretty great and it was probably my favourite scenario during RE5, but it was because it was all just happening right then & there. It's forcing you to keep on the move and it was nerve-racking to be sure. But for very different reasons than what RE was initially about for me; instead of leading you into the encounter, not entirely sure of what's going to happen, the game just throws you into it head first given little time to think. It was a much more visceral kind of tension.

Wait... where am I going with this.... er, it's the kind of tension that fitted in well enough with another player at your side.

The part when you enter the Umbrella Labs and you've got Lickers quickly scuttling away just out of view was pretty great, though. That was the sort of stuff I wanted more of.

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Abyssfull said:

Here's what you do: Beat the game on easy in under five hours. That unlocks the infinite rocket launcher.

Profit.

EDIT: I beat it on Pro in single player. Go check my Achievements. That'll at least prove half of that statement.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I unlocked that on my old PS3, before I got my slim (and also lost all my save files...) but I completely forgot about it. Besides, I hate how you have cheese the mode with infinite ammo weapons just to beat it; not only it is stupid difficult, but rolling with the hydra shotgun and just shooting at everything really isn't what I considered fun.

Also does that RPG work against the Wesker/Jill fight? That's actually where I've gotten stuck; I've done everything before on my own. I was planning on skipping over that chapter altogether, leave it for last, but then I didn't want have to go head back to the boss battle again since you can't load straight to it after you start a new chapter... so I've left it at the boss battle ever since.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Abyssfull: No, I think I had to use an infinite magnum in that fight. But you're absolutely right, having to break the game (well, not really break since it's all stuff the designers put in intentionally) in order to beat it on pro is poor difficulty design (well, I suppose you don't have to, but you know what I mean).

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Lashe

Co-op all the way if I can. My dad's a big RE fan so that would be great fun.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By zyn

@AjayRaz said:

Beware of the AI partner. Hopefully it's been improved from Resident Evil 5.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @Abyssfull

Single player first. And possibly only. For all the good reasons you've mentioned, sir. It's just creepier that way. And once in a while meeting a friendly NPC to quell the feeling you're not the only one trying to survive. The RE experience as it should be.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wasara88

Why does it have to be one or the other. I'm going to play it solo first then coop it.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By jillsandwich

Unless they make the partner AI REALLY REALLY great this time around, I'm co-op all the way.

I have a specific friend that will be awesome in co-op with me. No way in hell I'm playing this game with randoms on my first playthrough.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Karl_Boss

Both

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By valrog

Alone, the whole game. I just hope that whoever your partner is a lot smarter this time around.

Vincent92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vincent92

going single player first then co-op after i finish, play the game at night with the only light coming from the tv screen

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By clubsandwich

@MooseyMcMan said:

I'm going to wind up playing the whole game alone, so single player.

this, hated co-op in RE5. Actually, I hated EVERYTHING about RE5.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I beat every difficulty in RE5 solo, i'll play this one by myself as well.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tacoboy1986

I'm most likely going to play this co-op with my brother like we did RE5.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By X19

As far as I'm concerned Resident Evil is a co op game. RE5 was one of the best co op experiences I've had. Will be playing through RE6 with the same dude I went through RE5 with.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RE_Player1

I will play through the entire game single player.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bell_End

both id say. nice to have to choice i guess!

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RichMeisterMan

I'll be playing the entire game single player simply because my schedule will allow for only sporadic play and none of my friends are all that interested in the series.

This news about Leon's story sounds great though, but I feel like the 2nd person in the game, AI controller or controlled by another person, takes away some of the creep factor, especially if the AI is as brain dead as it was in the RE5.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Hizang

100% Solo, tbh not a big fan of Co-Op games.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Soap_of_Death

Entirely single player. I never tried co-op with RE5 and I doubt I'd bother with it this time around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.