Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

What do you think is the hardest Resident Evil game?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dichemstys

I think Code Veronica is, or Zero. Those fucking leech zombies in Zero and the hunters in Code Veronica are completely my downfall in both games. In both games I always find myself with just a little health, headed into a new room, and while dashing madly for an herb I get hit by a hunter or leech zombie.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#2  Edited By MightyDuck

I'd have to go with Nemesis. Having to deal with him constantly finding you was a pain in the ass for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Five is pretty hard in parts when you're playing by yourself.

You barely even have to know how to aim if you've got a buddy and both of you have played through it once, though. Fully upgraded magnum, shotgun, and rifle, with unlimited ammo? What the hell is hard mode!?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By falserelic

@MightyDuck said:

I'd have to go with Nemesis. Having to deal with him constantly finding you was a pain in the ass for me.

I agree....

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

I'd say Zero or the GameCube remake of the original.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Zero has leech zombies and those guys suuuuuuuck.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

Code Veronica X. Those leeching zombies that grab you as soon as you get beside them are the worst. There is no way of getting past them!

Nemesis for me was much easier compared to Code Veronica.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barrock

I found the Remake to be quite hard. Hated the red headed zombies.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Hands down Code Veronica no contest.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Zleunamme

I will go with Code Veronica and Outbreak. Code Veronica was the first Resident Evil game I ever played. Getting use the tank controls was a challenge. I didn't think I was going to switch from Claire to Chris in the middle of the game. I was really low on herbs and ammo when I was backtracking the island as Chris. I got so frustrated that I stopped playing the game for a few months. I went back and beat the game but never played it again. In Outbreak, the respawning zombies and dumb A.I partners ruined my fun. There was the infection meter countdown, lack of save ribbons and not being able to pause the game while doing through my inventory made things harder. Resident Evil games have step learning and take time to get use to.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones

I'm gonna say zero. I haven't gotten very far but hell I've died so damn much

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Purpz

I'd have to say Code Veronica X, that game, ARGG; That bloody game! I had so much trouble with it. A lot of fun though.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ProfessorK

RE-Make, those goddam crimson heads scare the shit outta me and kill me to boot. Sure you can burn some of them, but if you aren't using the bazooka glitch then they are a real pain.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dichemstys

God, Zero is so hard.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dichemstys

Crimson heads didn't bother me much,they were just an annoyance.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Code Veronica. That game was a pain.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By renmckormack

Zero

(1) Leach Monsters

(2) those Monkeys towards the end of the game

(3) Rebecca can take like two hits

(4) Although I mastered it, controlling the sub char with the yellow nub took getting used to.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By renmckormack

@Jeust said:

Code Veronica X. Those leeching zombies that grab you as soon as you get beside them are the worst. There is no way of getting past them!

Nemesis for me was much easier compared to Code Veronica.

Yes as to Zero being easier than CV fopr two reasons, in my mind

(1) That dodge button (was wonky but if you got it down no one could touch you)

(2) you could make your own bullets. So unlike the preset locations for ammo in the other games, if you were smart, you could basically have a ton of shotgun/magnum ammo at the end of that game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Canteu

Code Veronica X for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

@MightyDuck: That was one of the easiest ones. I have all the RE's (even on different consoles), and haven't beat all of them, but I've beaten Nemesis, and that was very easy.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@believer258: unlimited RPG makes the hardest difficulty a cake walk lol

OT: I'd say Resi Outbreak 1 and 2 are the hardest I've played. Only ever finished the first level. I got stuck in the hospital and the zombie elephants effed me up every time in the zoo -_-

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

@DanTheGamer32 said:

@believer258: unlimited RPG makes the hardest difficulty a cake walk lol

OT: I'd say Resi Outbreak 1 and 2 are the hardest I've played. Only ever finished the first level. I got stuck in the hospital and the zombie elephants effed me up every time in the zoo -_-

I'm talking about when first starting and by yourself. Once you've beaten the game a time or two and/or you bring a buddy into the fray, the game becomes as easy as pie. Even with only an unlimited shotgun or unlimited machine gun, the game becomes a cake walk.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@believer258: ah yeah true actually my bad. I remember getting stuck at the boss on that giant elevator for a while. Then my friend joined and one shotted it :/

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

Zero undoubtedly. Code: Veronica X was pretty darn tough, but once I knew what to expect it was a pile of piss. I remember before the end boss i had more ammo and healing items than I could carry. Zero on the other hand can still be a right bastard even if I know what to expect, and its hard mode more than lives up to its name.

Remake can be tough at times as well, but Zero takes the prize.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Code Veronica easily. It's the only one you can completely fuck yourself by running out of bullets and not being able to progress in the game. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By benjaebe

Fuck Zero, man. Definitely the hardest as far as I'm concerned.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dichemstys

@benjaebe said:

Fuck Zero, man. Definitely the hardest as far as I'm concerned.

I'm giving it another shot and I'm stashing EVERY healing item I can find. Those fucking leeches...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero and 1/REmake, inarguably.  

Zero had terrible ammo shortages for nearly anything unless you were playing on Easy mode, and constantly having to juggle back and forth between both of your characters was a nightmare. Rebecca could take barely any damage, and Billy was a juggernaught, but you could never just run off alone with him because he couldn't mix herbs without Rebecca, and a ton of the puzzles required the presence of both characters. Even setting aside all of that, the enemies were just plain weird (monkeys, centipedes, leech zombies) and the latter required certain weapons (flame) to kill effectively and popped up at random. On top of all of that, no magic item trunks made item management tedious beyond all measure, and a couple of the items had early game and late game usage, meaning if you didn't keep them with you (and why would you) you would have to backtrack over large areas for no reason. 

REmake and 1 were both hard for similar reasons. 1 had incredibly poor controls, and REmake was just plain more difficult. Both had ridiculous ammo shortages. Unlike Zero, the difficulty didn't come from the tediousness of constant micromanagement, but just from the plain difficulty of having to carefully use your items and conserve them like a proper survival horror game.  

RE2 was much easier than 1, and I never cared much for it anyway. RE3, I can't imagine why anyone would claim that is the most difficult since you were drowning in ammo from the ammo-creation crafting system unless you were developmentally challenged. Code Veronica is a game people recall as being incredibly difficult probably only because there were no difficulty options, but the game is neither hard or easy. The only difficult thing about Code Veronica are the bosses (probably the best of the games) and the random difficulty spikes. Aside from the spikes in difficulty (during Claire where the areas are suddenly repopulated with bandersnatches, and when you're suddenly playing as Chris and, whoops, all your items were on Claire) CV was pretty straightforward. 

And as for RE4 and RE5 being difficult, lol.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By falserelic

I played most of the resident evil games. I didn't have a hard time with Zero or Code Veronica. The only thing that truly annoyed me about zero was that there was no item box. The reason I agreed that nemesis was harder is because I played the game on hard mode, and he would just show up at the times where I barely had any ammo. That asshole stalked me throughout the whole goddamn city. Where I just wasn't fit to do battle and he became a pain in the ass. The funniest thing about re3 was that there was no normal difficulty.

There was easy and straight up hard mode. If you play it on easy you get more ammo but less weapons. If you play it on hard you get more weapons and less ammo. So that was my reason why I played on hard in the first place. Then again I also wanted a challenge. But the most easiest RE game I played was Dead aim by far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d557b323a6f7
    deactivated-5d557b323a6f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cast another vote for Zero. I never had a huge problem with Veronica's difficulty.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: I had totally forgotten about that, but I think you're right, way back when you had to either go easy or stupid hard on 3. I guess that's definitely a reasonable point.
    WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By WightnNerdy

Wow, I never thought Resident Evil Zero was that hard. Those leech monsters were a bitch, sure, but I'd throw molotovs at them to kill them. Also, Resident Evil Remake can be difficult, but only if you forget to burn the zombies after you kill them. Crimson Heads can be a real pain in the ass if you're not careful. And Lisa Trevor gave me nightmares.

As for the hardest, that's a tough one to answer. I'm going to go with Code Veronica. Some of the puzzles in that game gave me some trouble.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Out of all the ones I've played (RE2, 3, and Code Veronica X) I'd say CVX was the hardest. I only played these because I have them for Dreamcast.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Code Veronica for me, at least as far as I remember. The last few boss fights in that game were fucked. It was hard not to take damage from a lot of the enemies in that game, especially the Bandersnatches. This is kind of off set by the assloads of ammo they give you, however.
    I never played much of Zero, but from what I recall it was kind of a bitch. It's the only game in the main series that I've never finished, but that's out of the fact that I never owned or nor really liked it all that much rather than because I found it too hard.
    REmake was also pretty difficult. Personally, a lot of its difficulty came from me being too scared to play it for about a year after it came out. I eventually did, and was incredibly glad for that, because its by far my favorite game in the series.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#35  Edited By psykhophear

@NapTimeSleeper said:

Code Veronica. That game was a pain.

I hear you. Code: Veronica X is the most difficult one for me. The Bandersnatches are extremely difficult to avoid and trying to unlock the rocket launcher without the saving the game is insane. I also hate the part where there are two consequences in the game when you have to fight against Nosferatu and if Claire inhales the toxic that the boss inflicts at her, Chris has to find the cure but if she manages to avoid it, then the cure is not needed. It's time consuming and unnecessary. Avoiding the toxic fume from Nosferatu is not easy.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jozzy

Well, I only played for 4. And I don't see anyone calling that the hardest.

EDIT: the HD remake that came to the 360 last year.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By falserelic

@jozzy said:

Well, I only played for 4. And I don't see anyone calling that the hardest.

EDIT: the HD remake that came to the 360 last year.

Compared to the older resident evil titles it wasn't really hard. I even beaten re4 on professional mode. Sense RE4 was more about action and you could pull off more moves. It just wasn't as difficult in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I'd say Code Veronica... but granted I only played Zero on easy because I wanted to get through my backlog quickly, and even then the leeches were a real pain. I still haven't finished Code Veronica - pretty sure I'm stuck in an area with a bunch of hunters with low ammo.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By falserelic

@Marokai: I agree on what you said about zero. Those was my issues with the game aswell. Even though zero was 1 of my least favorite RE games. I still managed to unlock everything. I played the leech hunter mode and collected everything, and unlocked the special rocket launcher in 1 sitting of my playthough. Unlocking that stuff was hard as shit..

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By IBurningStar

I think it may be a tie between C:V and 0. Both of them get pretty rough at several parts.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

@Marokai said:

@falserelic: I had totally forgotten about that, but I think you're right, way back when you had to either go easy or stupid hard on 3. I guess that's definitely a reasonable point.

They may have called it ''hard'' mode, but it's basically just the normal mode for what you'd expect from a Resident Evil game really. Fighting the Nemesis was of course the primary source of challenge, but it was supposed to be and I enjoyed that added edge of difficulty as you're forced to flee despite being packed with enough weapons and ammunition to leave Stallone feeling jealous.

And then you'd unlock the infinite rocket-launcher from the Mercenaries minigame and are finally able to put that fool down!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dichemstys

I'm pretty convinced I'll never beat Code: Veronica. Even if I get to the end with Chris, that boss'll kill me every time.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FilipHolm

Code Veronica or Zero, definitely

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Crimson Heads in REmake basically mean that you won't beat the game without using a guide.

crazzzy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

resident evil 3: Nemesis by far since it was originally meant to be the last resident evil so capcom gave us being chased while fighting mobs of undead that came at u from windows locked car doors and locked doors overall and to add they put more bosses and puzzles to solve and mad u make decisions to decide ur fate and even then sometimes the decisions werent so great plus the brought back the hunters in it which are a bitch to kill so yea resident evil 3 hands down hardest one to beat and play overall

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.