Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Risen 2: Dark Waters

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Piranha Bytes' action-RPG Risen. This time, there be pirates.

So.... Who else is getting this game?

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By D0tti

I really loved Risen 1, never finished it thought don't remember why, but still really loved that game one off my favorite rpg games. Seeing how this game is coming out to multiple consoles I'll maybe get this for the ps3 considering my laptop isn't that powerful despite playing Witcher 2 on it. Just checked out the preview video on gt.com and it looked pretty good, similar to the first but with refined gameplay.

So yeah, who else is getting Risen 2?

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deskp

I'm interested in this cause i enjoy pirates. But I'll wait for reviews and quicklooks and generaly opinions on it before buying it.

I'll propably chouse btween the witcher 2 360 and this. witcher propably is the BETTER game but I might enjoy this more.

I hope it's good =D

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

Don't know what it is so probably not.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By matthias2437

I am for sure. I loved Risen and I love pirates so this looks pretty bad-ass to me. Also from what I have seen of the story it looks interesting.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aronman789

Sooner or later, but I'll probably get it one day.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By spazmaster666

I'm not really sold on it yet. I wasn't a big fan of the first Risen game, though the footage I've seen of Dark Waters does look decent. I have so much other stuff to play though and with exams coming up I probably won't be getting this game any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the first one, but I'm interested in this one. It looks like it could be the cool pirate themed RPG I've wanted to play for a long time.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

I loved every game from Piranha Bytes since Gothic, so I'm sure to pick this one up eventually too.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I'll definitely buy it for PC and am still considering getting it immediately once it's out - which will probably happen since I'm ready for a new game. Then again, I love the first two Gothic games to begin with. The third one was a pretty significant misstep in my opinion but Piranha Bytes got back into their groove with Risen so I'm actually pretty excited. Since Risen even was a pretty stable game from the start I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have their QA under decent control which is always a bit of a concern to be honest. And on top of that it's one of the few games I actually always enjoyed playing in German without suffering a localization that makes me want to puke my guts out so it's a very unique series of games to me in that sense.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gargantuan

Damn, it's coming out the 27th. I really like Risen but I haven't finished it and the Guild Wars 2 beta starts the 27th. I guess I'll have to try to finish it ASAP and pre-purchase Dark Waters so I get the DLC and then start playing when the GW 2 beta ends.

I have way to many games to play!

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I preordered the 360 version, but that has apparently been delayed until July. I guess the PC version hasn't been delayed?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It is a ritual for me to play the original game before the new sequel. That is why I played Shadow of Chernobyl, The Witcher, Far Cry and more games before touching their sequels. 
    So I'll pick this up when I play Risen and if I enjoy it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

@AhmadMetallic said:

It is a ritual for me to play the original game before the new sequel. That is why I played Shadow of Chernobyl, The Witcher, Far Cry and more games before touching their sequels.
    So I'll pick this up when I play Risen and if I enjoy it.

Have you played Gothic?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @valrog said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Have you played Gothic?

Nope.. I think I bought it during a Steam sale though. It's probably too outdated at this point :( 
    How is it related?
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

@AhmadMetallic said:

@valrog said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Have you played Gothic?

Nope.. I think I bought it during a Steam sale though. It's probably too outdated at this point :( How is it related?

Define outdated. It's related because if you liked Gothic, you would almost certainly like Risen. Oh well.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

As someone who likes both traditional very story focused RPGs, or open world exploration stuff like ES titles, you'd think Risen would be right up my alley. I pretty much consume RPGs en masse.
    But strangely enough i actively disliked Risen.

And this was not an initial reaction or anything, i came in open minded, but the more i played it the more I disliked it. The game actually started out promising.

• the character progression was underwhelming and overall poorly designed imo
    • the world while at first felt great once you realised the actual scope suddenly felt tiny and super restrictive, like a tiny artificial world, not even part of a greater whole like smaller focused RPGs try to appear to be
    • the combat was clunky, it tried to go for something deeper then ES games, but it's effort was undermined in execution
    • quests/decisions/consequences of more focused RPGs were lacking and felt kinda meh
    • i was probably mostly neutral on the game but the ending parts put me firmly in a "don't like it" cattegory due to an extremely poorly handled bossfight, not in terms of difficulty or lack thereof, but due to pretty much disregarding your character progression and funneling you to simply do a specific set of actions in combat every single different character would have to do the same way, lame

In the end i got neither satisfying combat, nor progression, nor story, nor exploration (except for the start), call it Amalur syndrome of trying to please too many masters and never fully excelling at something.
    It was better then Two Worlds 2, Divine Divinity 2, or KoA:R for sure, but still lacking to me.

So unless Risen 2 gets some great reviews and QLs, Letsplays and all other playthrough videos show that they managed to change, i won't be getting it.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By envane

i preordered it .. fuck yea .. tho if it doesnt have swampweed / massive hookah tubes to smoke from .. then im gonna be disappointed ..

but yeh these gusy are one of the last true eastern block rpg developers , the witcher has become a full fledged AAA title now and tho thats great for its franchise and the fans etc .. i personally miss the jankety jank of the first game, but yeh .. its like enjoying cheesy b-movies for their shittyness , gothic and risen (not gothic 4 etc that shit is just soulless) have that unique awesome feel of huuuuh ?

but yeh ... totally expectign fucked up combat difficulty curve , daunting ass world that eventually becomes totally small feeling , stilted ass mechanical dialogue and quests etc that you have to work hard not to sequencebreak or fuck up with, useless ass magic, redundadnt smithing , incredible difficulty in obtaining anything other than the crappiest armor in the game, scavengers/whateverthefuckbirds that go KAW KAW KAW then attack , devolving into hours and hours of sneaking,stealing,pickpocketing,lockpicking, ai bugging, etc ..just because you can

all that said FUCK YEAH im super keen

superst3ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By superst3ve

I'm excited for this game. I really enjoyed the first one when I was originally expecting to spend a few hours and move on. The first had a great charm of exploration and discovery in its world. There were no boundaries except for the ones created by your present lack of skill. Death came often if you didn't play with some pace, and the multitude of starting methods (classes) gave the game a decent replay value.

As long as the thrill of exploration is still available in 2 I will be very content spending 30 hours in its world.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bakumatsu

Yesterday I saw a live video that Gamespot did where Kevin VanOrd played it for 4 hours and I must say the game doesn't look very good. I know it's different from Mass Effect or Dragon Age or even Skyrim and that these type of games have a special charm attached to them but I don't know. I was very excited when they announced a pirate rpg but what I saw yesterday doesn't say highly things about it. Hope I'm wrong.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By owack6

@Bakumatsu said:

Yesterday I saw a live video that Gamespot did where Kevin VanOrd played it for 4 hours and I must say the game doesn't look very good. I know it's different from Mass Effect or Dragon Age or even Skyrim and that these type of games have a special charm attached to them but I don't know. I was very excited when they announced a pirate rpg but what I saw yesterday doesn't say highly things about it. Hope I'm wrong.

Ye i saw that stream the combat just looked terrible.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ares42

I'm really on the fence about it. Had a decent time with the first one, but since then I've played so many way better RPGs. On the other hand though, it is pirate-themed. I just wish I knew what sort of pirate-style they're going for and how well it is done. While I love the theme it's so easy to go over the top and just make it stupid.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tennmuerti said:
    As someone who likes both traditional very story focused RPGs, or open world exploration stuff like ES titles, you'd think Risen would be right up my alley. I pretty much consume RPGs en masse.
    But strangely enough i actively disliked Risen.

And this was not an initial reaction or anything, i came in open minded, but the more i played it the more I disliked it. The game actually started out promising.
    • the character progression was underwhelming and overall poorly designed imo
    • the world while at first felt great once you realised the actual scope suddenly felt tiny and super restrictive, like a tiny artificial world, not even part of a greater whole like smaller focused RPGs try to appear to be
    • the combat was clunky, it tried to go for something deeper then ES games, but it's effort was undermined in execution
    • quests/decisions/consequences of more focused RPGs were lacking and felt kinda meh
    • i was probably mostly neutral on the game but the ending parts put me firmly in a "don't like it" cattegory due to an extremely poorly handled bossfight, not in terms of difficulty or lack thereof, but due to pretty much disregarding your character progression and funneling you to simply do a specific set of actions in combat every single different character would have to do the same way, lame

In the end i got neither satisfying combat, nor progression, nor story, nor exploration (except for the start), call it Amalur syndrome of trying to please too many masters and never fully excelling at something.
    It was better then Two Worlds 2, Divine Divinity 2, or KoA:R for sure, but still lacking to me.

So unless Risen 2 gets some great reviews and QLs, Letsplays and all other playthrough videos show that they managed to change, i won't be getting it.

Interesting thoughts. I'm currently playing through the Risen demo, like 1 hour in so I haven't discovered the flaws you speak of, but I can totally see how you're correct. The combat is already feeling off, the quest system feels boring and the world just doesn't feel like it's big and diverse enough. 
    But that's the thing.. With all the emotionally and mentally exhausting RPGs, I'm kinda enjoying this weak gimped laid-back game. Just walk around looking for plants and killing wolves, looting items that have Microsoft Word text hovering over them, kinda relaxing.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By l4wd0g

@owack6 said:

@Bakumatsu said:

I was reading on Steam that it has 360 controller support. I would bet that is the way to play it.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the beta a couple months back. It's certainly better than the first game, but not really my cup o' tea.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Alexandru

I'm excited about it. I liked the first one.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By valrog

@l4wd0g said:

@owack6 said:

@Bakumatsu said:

I was reading on Steam that it has 360 controller support. I would bet that is the way to play it.

I wouldn't count on it. Piranha Bytes games were always best on M/K. Anyway, I must be in the minority here, but if it's anything like the combat I'm used to (I haven't watched many videos, if any at all), I'm sure I'll like it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Marz

saw Kevin Vanord play a little bit of it on Gamespot, seems janky as hell,  combat looks very stiff and unappealing... i'd probably catch it during a steam sale... definately don't want to play it right now at full price.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gravier251

I pre-ordered it on steam, quite enjoyed the first Risen. Makes me want to play the gothic games as they seem similar but given the age of them I keep running into crashes/issues.

It is nice to have an RPG without scaling enemies, some depth and restriction to the factions so I don't get to bounce around between them and all the interiors and exteriors accessible without loading screens. The combat wasn't great, I took the (harder to attain due to having to avoid conscription) mage route and wound up spamming the arcane bullets to kind of avoid it. I've played through all the elder scrolls games since Morrowind, so kind of used to overlooking bad combat and RPG character development systems. I didn't really have a big problem with how Risen did it anyway.

I like the oppressive post apocalyptic fantasy setting vibe that Risen had. I hope that is retained in Risen 2 if we are out beyond the sanctuary of that island.

l3roken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By l3roken

@D0tti: Based on my love of the first Risen and the inclusion of pirate themes....I will be getting it in the near future.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was really excited for it (have a big soft spot for the 1st one) ... then dragon's dogma came along and stole all of its thunder. then the console version got pushed back to august anyway which was a bit of a relief but i'm not sure i'll ever end up getting it now

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By p00rdevil

I had a great time with Risen 1. Finished it to completion twice, and I have to like a game before I will play all the way through even once. I thought the NPCs were very well done. The voice acting was pretty good, and they seemed developed enough to have some personality. Those guys down at the swamp were down right intimidating! Like a bunch of Hell's Angles, lol.

I enjoyed exploring the environment. It was much smaller than Gothic 3, but still interesting and fun to play in. I liked the dungeons for the puzzles and traps. I always looked forward to entering a dungeon.

Combat was actually very good. It is just that you needed to level up some to be worth a dang, and secondly you needed to learn the ins and out of blocking, dodging, and attacking. The combat was really not all that simple, but I found it worked well when I learned how to use it. There was a nice variety of enemy types.

The story was nothing great, no great surprises although it wasn't 100% predictable. I would describe it as serviceable, it got the job done.

I will give Risen 2 a go if the feed back is pretty good. I am kind of put off by guns in the game, but it might not be an issue at all. Pirates I can take or leave.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#32  Edited By Stefan

I think the Piranha Bytes is better than most American developers (including Bethesda) at designing believable fantasy realms.  
    The towns in most other games have huge roads and are plotted out nicely - which is not the way a medieval role model would suggest. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to the game and I will buy it if the first reviews are alright. Skyrim was a big let-down for me, for its atmosphere 
    was non-existent, as basically no quest or action had any impact on the world. And the combat was the worst ever (played as hardcore mage) 
    since most spells were unbalanced or useless altogether. I have higher hopes for Risen 2 but we'll see...  

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By DJJoeJoe

There was something to the way Risen opens and progresses through most of it's length, it's so dark in it's fantasy. I think it appealed to me because of the way the opening beach area was designed and the time the game allows you to invest in that area. It kinda takes all the better parts of being a kid and going down to the beach and having time by yourself to just wander and look at the different trees and plants, time to think and discover things or to dig things up. It's kinda the root of why I enjoyed starting off with 'nothing' and things being very bleak for a while in the game, most other games tend to start you off in ways where I feel less connected to the character because there's some crazy event or situation going on. The only thing crazy about Risen 1 opening was the massive bird creature you fight lol.

While Risen 2 doesn't look like the franchise has transcended it's previous faults and become an all around good game, it does seem like it has some of the charm I dug about some moments in the first game and I think that's enough for me. The promise of a similarly unique little experience that seems to really be aimed at something I enjoy in games. I tended to get less involved with Risen when magic started happening because it moves farther into the normal 'game' arena when that happens, fireballs and all that stuff, and less about beating a god damn giant bird monstrosity in a desperate attempt at gathering some meagre scraps to survive.

Eastern block games can have a real unique charm and Risen definitely has some of that I think.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Jeust
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    So I'll pick this up when I play Risen and if I enjoy it.
    Same with me. I have bought Risen at $10, but I haven't played it past the beginning so, it's a pass for me now.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @UitDeToekomst said:
    I preordered the 360 version, but that has apparently been delayed until July. I guess the PC version hasn't been delayed?
    I checked around and it does appear that the 360 version now has a date of July 31st.  I hope they take that time to smash some bugs or such.  But yeah, I do plan on playing it on the 360 whenever it comes out.  Gives me time to play the first one.  
    UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UitDeToekomst

@sins_of_mosin said:

@UitDeToekomst said:
    I checked around and it does appear that the 360 version now has a date of July 31st. I hope they take that time to smash some bugs or such. But yeah, I do plan on playing it on the 360 whenever it comes out. Gives me time to play the first one.

i didn't finish the first one, either. hopefully i'll be able to squeeze it into my video game backlog clear-out schedule before this comes out on 360 at the end of July.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nitrocore

So far iv'e put about 4 hours into it. First impressions, it seems like a PB game, if you like Gothic 1-3 and Risen you should be good to go. The UI Seems a little more stream lined than previous games, i'm playing it with a 360 pad, seems well intergrated, looks like it's going to get interesting by what I can gather from the loading screens, they mention Voodoo and what not. I think there's an achievment for killing a bunch of sea monsters aswell, which will be fun. Damn it, I think iv'e got 1 last mission syndrome again :(.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By buft

I had it in my steam wanted list and when it came out it was $60, I picked up the witcher 2 last month for $30 so i will continue playing that and wait for a price drop.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainObvious

Don't look at me man.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Nope. I'm not liking the pirate style. And by 'pirate style' I mean camp-pirate style.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By MrSlapHappy

I played a bit of the first one and I liked how I could purposely get caught by the guards in the beginning and then I was recruited into their monk-hood thing. Then within an hour I had accidently pissed off an NPC that I needed to talk to me for a quest and he ignored me. I shelved it with plans to return and start over, but just haven't gotten back to it. I will keep an eye on the sequel to see if more of the same or something special.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.