Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Robert Kotick

Person » credited in 5 games

Robert Kotick is the President and CEO of Activision Blizzard.

Bobby Kotick finally speaks up about West and Zampella

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

First everyone should read this article http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/kotick-west-and-zampella-compromised-our-friendship.html. Did everyone get all of that? Yeah crazy huh? I understand business is business. But I assume that if you want to protect your assets and please the shareholders, then you would basically let West and Zampella do the games they want and let them make you the next 50 gzillion dollars. In one of the paragraphs he commented "There was nothing that would have allowed us to retain their services, as talented as they might have been". That goes back to my last point. Stop pushing Call of Duty on them, just like you do with other developers on Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, and let them choose the games they make. And how can you say they might be talented after they made you so much money?? 

Damn. He gets to me sometimes. But, I might be blowing this out of proportion. Who knows. Let me here everyone elses opinions.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By moelarrycurly

Kotick is evil incarnate.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz
    @ch13696: You've totally misinterpreted his comment about "as talented as they might have been". What he means is regardless of how talented they truly were that alone wouldn't have allowed them to retain their jobs at Activision. He doesn't, at any point, in that article suggest West & Zampella or any other IW employee is less than talented.

At the end of the day if a product like MW2 sells as well as it did then you want to follow up on that 'happy glow' players have by releasing another similar product as soon as you can. And arguably when does having the same great thing change from being more of a good thing to something negative that we don't want?

Letting a studio like IW go on to create a new IP is risky business. There is every chance their next product would flop or may not be so well received. Such is the world we live in during uneasy economic times. And now matter how much MW2 sold it was never down to just IW but also Activision who made sure that product was marketed, advertised and promoted as best as they could by literally throwing money at it.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

I haven't payed much attention to this, but didn't he terminate West and Zampella without paying them the expected and deserved amount?  Or maybe I've heard wrong.  If it's true and he did give them the boot, while holding onto all the money, that sounds more criminal than professional.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696
    @Hamz: Yeah I probably did misread that part. Anyways, you have to create new IP's or else you have another Sonic dilemma. The situation we see here, and so does West and Zampella, is that every year there's a new title on the same IP. Soon enough people will get tired of seeing that. My theory is that West and Zampella was shopping around because they were afraid their IP is going to go the same route as Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk. Besides, that's the point of running a business is risk. Yeah, sometimes you're not as successful like for example Mirrors Edge, Stranglehold, or Clive Barker's Jericho, but there's a lot of times that you will be successful like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Dead Space.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo
    @Hamz said:
    "Letting a studio like IW go on to create a new IP is risky business. "
    Not as risky as forcing what is essentially the entire team out of the door.  In fact, hardly a risk at all if you read anything into how prepapred every other company was to throw money at them after they left.

Activision could have had the perfect one-two of Infinity Ward and Bungie creating new franchises under their umbrella, and still had their B-teams running out the clock on the Call of Duty franchise.  Activision's future would have looked rock solid because they'd be untouchable in the FPS space for the next decade.  Now admittedly, they're in a much better position than they looked to be before the Bungie announcement, but they still squandered the dream ticket.  If the price for keeping Infinity Ward intact was to let them make whatever the hell they wanted, then that's absolutely what they should have done - instead I think they tried to call West & Zampella's bluff, only for them and the best part of their team not to be bluffing at all.

There are plenty of examples in the industry of proven individuals being given a free reign to choose what they work on, because their employers recognize that it's a small price to pay for keeping them within the company.  Once you've built from scratch a franchise that makes CoD money, I think you've earned the right to expect that level of freedom.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz
    @ch13696: I can definitely see where you're coming from. But MW2 just made $2billion or something similarly ridiculous in profits which clearly means there is a large interest and market for that product and like any good business if you've found success with a product you follow it up with a hope of surfing the wave of success before it disappears. Because you may never know if and when something similar will happen again and bring in profit for the company. I mean we're still in unsure economic times, they have to speculate to accumulate which means after paying overheads the remainder of that money no doubt gets pumped back into the company to fund future projects.

And while running a business is a risk. A company the size of Activision is not going to risk the job security of its many employees, its brands, its shareholder profits and generally everything on a whim if there is a chance they can make reasonable profits from an already established franchise. In an ironic way the more these COD or MW franchise games continue to sell successfully then the more we'll see of them.

EDIT - Replaced can't with can, spelling fail :(
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sopranosfan

I hate Activision and mainly Kotick but at the end of the day it is kids that buy 80% of these games that have no idea who Kotick or probably even Inifinty Ward is so the games will continue to sell and Kotick will continue to make a fortune being an ass.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9  Edited By natetodamax

I still don't know which side to believe. If what Activision claims is true, I'm totally with them. But if West and Zampella are telling the truth and that Activision fired them so they wouldn't get paid their bonuses, I'm with them. It's just nuts.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By darkvare

i just wanna see what thesse guys come up in their new studio

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jos1ah

From the sound of things all three (Kotick, West, and Zampella) are pricks.  ...Well, they ARE execs so that sorta goes without saying.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I think a lot of people are forgetting something very important:  how many Call of Duty players even know who West and Zampella are?  THEY DON'T!  Out of the 10+ million people out there who bought the game, not even 10% of those people have any goddamn clue who they are.  All they know is that the game says "Call of Duty".  It's even funnier that people latched onto this franchise ONCE IT WENT MODERN.  When it was WWII, no one but hardcore PC gamers seemed to give a fuck.  Even as a launch title on 360, the game wasn't OVERWHELMINGLY popular in sales.  People were still waiting for Halo 3...and still playing the shit out of Halo 2. 

I'm not denying that West and Zampella are talented guys, but at the same time, they basically said "hey, let's make a war shooter...but let's add in a bigger level of forward progression and some customization to that".  If you look at Modern Warfare 2, it is LITERALLY the same game as Modern Warfare, except with larger amounts of weaponry, larger amounts of killstreaks, some additional customization, and the titles/icons system from Street Fighter IV!!!  That's it. 

Another thing that people need to realize:  IW has ONLY MADE CALL OF DUTY GAMES!  Of COURSE they were fucking good at it.  It's the only thing they needed to make.  Even then, they seemed pretty satisfied for a long time with the idea of simply making CoD games...until one day, West and Zampella got a frog up their ass about Treyarch making World at War.  That was literally the point that shit started - West, Zampella, Bowling...those muthafuckers can't shut up and stop pointing the finger everywhere else for five goddamn minutes.  They KNEW that Treyarch was making the game.  They KNEW that Treyarch was using their tech.  They SAW the checks from those royalties. 

People seem to forget - Infinity Ward is OWNED by Activision.  They were a publisher's development house.  When you are a publisher's development house, you develop what they say you develop.  Treyarch is given project after project, and they don't bitch.  Hell, they get shit on all the fucking time, but they do their job and make the game.  If West and Zampella didn't want to have some publisher saying "oh no, you'll be developing this because we own you", then they should've let their fucking contracts run out rather than being tempted by their greed and taking the deal for Modern Warfare 2. 

ABOVE ALL ELSE, West and Zampella going behind Activision's back and meeting with EA about a publishing deal was a BAAAAAD idea, especially when they did not have the rights AT ALL to do that. 

In short, West and Zampella are the bad guys here, despite the fact that Kotick is the devil incarnate.  People need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize this.  Just because Kotick has proven time and again that he's a fucking asshole, that doesn't mean West and Zampella are saints in any way.  They acting like immature fucking children about all of this rather than seeking independence through legal means.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sopranosfan

I do agree about West and Zampella may not be innocent victims but the difference is that Kotick doesn't try to hide his assholeness and never has and for that reason he will always be the bad guy.  If someone walks around punching people in the mouth and laughing and bragging about it and then I sucker punch that person in the mouth and play my cards right I look like the good guy even though I punched the guy when he wasn't looking.  BTW if anybody read my post last weekend mine would be well over 0.1 so if there are any mistakes I apologize.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Bobby cannot say any thing since the impending litigation by Other infinity ward employee's show us the claims by West and zamp were true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.