Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shift 2: Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 29, 2011

The sequel to the 2009 racer Need for Speed: Shift. Shift 2 features improved graphics, a new campaign mode and the addition of the Autolog system as featured in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The name of this game should be spelled without the "F".

• 80 results
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By keyhunter
    @xyzygy said:
    " I don't think the Hz of the TV would make any difference, would it? Games are usually meant to be played in 60 Hz but I thought that Hz meant the smoothness of the screen, not the delivery time of the image "
    It certainly does make a difference at 60 hz. It's a slow enough refresh rate that anyone accustomed to a less cheap ass or ancient LCD screen would notice it immediately and be totally disgusted. You'll be turnin yo master chief to the right and there's an ever so slight delay that just isn't there with a tube, plasma, or 120 hz LCD screen. Which is pretty much the difference between life and death in those kinds of games. It's never been a problem for me with racing games or platformers.

As a matter of fact, my fucking truck actually handles like that lag the OP was bitching about. I no longer see a problem.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @keyhunter said:

" As a matter of fact, my fucking truck actually handles like that lag the OP was bitching about. I no longer see a problem. "

I hope you're joking.  Are you saying you control the wheel in your truck via rubber bands?

EDIT: Your talk about refresh rate is utter nonsense.  60Hz refresh rate translates to 16.7 millisecond lag.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By JJOR64
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By keyhunter
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @keyhunter said:

" As a matter of fact, my fucking truck actually handles like that lag the OP was bitching about. I no longer see a problem. "

I hope you're joking.  Are you saying you control the wheel in your truck via rubber bands?

EDIT: Your talk about refresh rate is utter nonsense.  60Hz refresh rate translates to 16.7 millisecond lag.
    "
    Naw. The wheels are just way too big and it's low on power steering fluid.
    Also that 16.7 milliseconds is really noticeable to me! On shooters anyways. Not games like beautiful katamari.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @KingWilly said:
    " so is the delay due to the driving animation or does it actually affect the racing?

That's the one thing these vids aren't showing me.
    "
    This. 

Are you people complaining about animation or actual play. If you zoom out to behind the car view do you even notice this "lag"?

I have played no version of this game, but too me steering wheels on real cars do not turn near as fast as steering wheel controllers. Any chance this is them trying to compensate? 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Red12b
    @Atramentous said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " so is the delay due to the driving animation or does it actually affect the racing?

"
    This. 

Are you people complaining about animation or actual play. If you zoom out to behind the car view do you even notice this "lag"?

I have played no version of this game, but too me steering wheels on real cars do not turn near as fast as steering wheel controllers. Any chance this is them trying to compensate? 
    "
    The lag is there, It might be some sort of gameplay gimmick, but it's really fucking stupid, Maybe it inserts some sort of "Reaction time" thing, but it's just not good.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Red12b said:
    " @Atramentous said:
    " @KingWilly said:

"
    This. 

"
    The lag is there, It might be some sort of gameplay gimmick, but it's really fucking stupid, Maybe it inserts some sort of "Reaction time" thing, but it's just not good. "
    Well its always been a pet peeve of mine to see wheels in the in car view turning way to fast. I have no clue if they did this intentionally or not but if the cars feel heavier as a result I may actually be swayed to purchase this and dig my wheel out of storage. 
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Atramentous said:
    " @KingWilly said:

"
    This. 

"
    This what, man?  How many times do I have to repost the same videos for you infidels? :-(  T_T  This is such a chore...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Atramentous said:
    " @KingWilly said:

"
    This. 

"
    This what, man?  How many times do I have to repost the same videos for you infidels? :-(  T_T  This is such a chore...

"
    You only have to show it once if its relevant. All the video in this thread that I have watched is cars sitting still or barely moving at all. Perhaps I missed a video were this was demonstrated at speed? Care to enlighten me?

If I go outside right now and start my car and jam the wheel to the left going while only going 2mph its not going to start doing donuts on me.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Atramentous said:

You only have to show it once if its relevant. All the video in this thread that I have watched is cars sitting still or barely moving at all. Perhaps I missed a video were this was demonstrated at speed? Care to enlighten me?
    If I go outside right now and start my car and jam the wheel to the left going while only going 2mph its not going to start doing donuts on me.
    "

You've got to be shitting me.  Have you heard of the "moving the goalpost"?  

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Atramentous said:

"

"
    Didn't need the link but thanks anyways =)

No, Im not "shitting you". I am trying to have a discussion and find out more about a potential issue with a game that I had planned to get in the future. Are you capable of participating in a reasonable manner or will you continue to curse and be truculent? Perhaps you would be willing to answer my question in a manner that would show that perhaps you can indeed handle yourself in a social situation without resorting to flinging poop.

I will ask again. Do you feel this "lag" at all under normal racing conditions? To be more specific, speeds that would allow you to at least finish the race in anything other than last place. If no can you provide me with a video of this "lag" in a race? Thanks in advance for a civil answer. 
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Atramentous said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @Atramentous said:

"

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts
    "

You should click it. 
    ...also, do you want me to find you a video with the guy driving at 88mph in a DeLorean, while the player stands on one leg and chants during a fool moon?!  You gotta be specific about these things, beforehand.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @Atramentous said:

"

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts
    "

You should click it.  ...also, do you want me to find you a video with the guy driving at 88mph in a DeLorean, while the player stands on one leg and chants during a fool moon?!  You gotta be specific about these things, beforehand. "
    I will take that as a no then. 

Anyone else on here that can read and type care to explain to me if this game only has "lag" when you are stationary or traveling at a speed the game was not balanced around you driving at?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By xyzygy

Howcome the quicklook didn't mention anything about this so called lag? The videos in this thread make it look terrible but the GB guys play as if nothing is wrong.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @GravityProof said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @GravityProof:  Just more proof that you love to hear the sound of your own voice.  Give up already.  It's really boring hearing you reiterate the same bullshit line of thinking just because you can't back down.  You've worked in retail.  OH YOU'RE SO QUALIFIED.  Please show me how a 1 in 6 defect rate wouldn't ever equate to a product recall OR patch.  It's funny how you ignore the patch comment and take my example to the most extreme position possible.  I've worked as a games journalist and managed 3 retail stores at the same time, I've even sent boxes back on pallets CAUSING product recalls and this was back the mid 90s when manufacturers didn't have to live up to any sorts of standards beyond "does the disk load?".  Retailers and e-tailers who are interested in continued and repeat custom will respond to what their customers say.  In any case, your argument is still is broken as it was when you started this laughable exercise in caveat emptor and I told you so waffle.  Your solution is ridiculous and demands that consumers hang on the whims of the gaming press and offers no recourse or empowerment at all.  I must reiterate that you're a waffling egotistcal pseudo-intellectual who prefers an argument of semantics than a solution grounded in self empowering reality.  Unless you own this game or have any interest in it, please kindly fuck off.  "
    So you're a games journalist who doesn't trust gamers to be well served by games journalists? At least I know you're taking yourself as seriously as I am. You sound like just the man I'd want as a consumer advocate. 

As an addendum: Many times, a 1 in 6 defect rate wouldn't equate to a recall of goods, as a recall precludes a distributor (or publisher, in my analogy) from making any earnings on that batch of products. In most cases, it would cost significantly less to refund customers (+ a goodwill bonus of say, 20%) who purchased the defective units than it would to recall, test, and repackage, or maybe even destroy the units in question. Even if a company only saw half of their projected returns on a product, it would be more revenue generated than if they pursued a recall. I made this point to illustrate that, since games are made on budgets and deadlines, it makes sense for a developer to focus their limited attentions on where the biggest chunk of the profits lie, to try and get what they can of what they may know will be a flawed product. My argument said nothing pertaining to patching the game after release, and I'm sorry if you didn't comprehend that.

I don't have an interest in this game, but it's not a conversation if everyone is saying the same thing, so I would contend that I've provided a valuable counter-point to the one sided complaining that came before. But we've clearly reached an impasse here, and so I shall proffer no more constructive and critical opinions. The ones that follow are destructive, inflammatory, and though I feel warranted, definitely fall into the 'trolling' category. 

I won't deny that I have enjoyed arguing with you. Really enjoyed it, actually. I enjoy imagining the sweat building up on your keyboard and your eyes bulging out as you have to restrain yourself from screaming at the monitor, I like imagining that you're stewing in your own contemptuous rage behind a desk in your bedroom or cubicle because you don't have more important things in your life to distract you from this insignificant tete-a-tete, and most of all I love knowing that for all your hatred of my pretentious and opulent verbosity you've poured over every word I've written in response. It's the little things. 

So now that we've both devalued this conversation by hurling personal insults at each other, I shall 'kindly fuck off'. I surrender, cowboy, and promise to allow whatever slanderous and stinging barbs you hurl at me go unquestioned forever in the annals of internet history. Happy weekend!
    "
    It took you two pages of egomanical rambling where you said the same thing over and over in more and more florid language at each turn for you finally walk away.  You're not interested in having a conversation, your only interest in this has been to joust and win with someone who you perceive to be of threat.  You're a fool as well as being an egotist while at the same time you're an admitted troll.  I haven't enjoyed dialoguing with you one bit; I find it particularly difficult to enjoy conversation and/or discussion with people who continually condescend as they speak to me.  This is of special annoyance when that condescension has no basis at all in reality and is merely a device of that person's wounded and fragile ego, as is the case in this contrivance of conversation with you.  At least you finally fucked off.  There's that. "
    After reading all this the winner is GravityProof for being the bigger man and walking away.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:

" Howcome the quicklook didn't mention anything about this so called lag? The videos in this thread make it look terrible but the GB guys play as if nothing is wrong. "

How come Jeff and Ryan didn't use cockpit view?  How come Jeff's driving was terrible?
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Atramentous said:

Anyone else on here that can read and type care to explain to me if this game only has "lag" when you are stationary or traveling at a speed the game was not balanced around you driving at?
    "
    I highly recommend you buy this game.  You deserve it.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By McShank
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

" Howcome the quicklook didn't mention anything about this so called lag? The videos in this thread make it look terrible but the GB guys play as if nothing is wrong. "

How come Jeff and Ryan didn't use cockpit view?  How come Jeff's driving was terrible? "
    I honestly think they only played this on the 360 and i don't think jeff is a very good driver for racing games anyway >.> But who knows, I wont buy this and will hope for GT5 to someday get a magical patch for realistic damage and more then a simple carwash as customization on looks.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @McShank said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

How come Jeff and Ryan didn't use cockpit view?  How come Jeff's driving was terrible? "
    I honestly think they only played this on the 360 and i don't think jeff is a very good driver for racing games anyway >.> But who knows, I wont buy this and will hope for GT5 to someday get a magical patch for realistic damage and more then a simple carwash as customization on looks. "
    Shift 2 will provide you with more laughs / $, though. :)  

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By McShank

now that video is awesome, but only that >.>

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @xyzygy said:

Don't really understand what that has to do with the lag and them noticing it or not... 

But 1. Bumper cam is far superior and 2. Jeff might not be the best at driving games. Just because he's a journalist doesn't mean he has to be awesome at them.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @xyzygy said:

Don't really understand what that has to do with the lag and them noticing it or not... 
    But 1. Bumper cam is far superior and 2. Jeff might not be the best at driving games. Just because he's a journalist doesn't mean he has to be awesome at them.
    "
    Maybe, you answered your initial question: "howcome the quicklook didn't mention anything abut this so called lag?"
    Maybe, Jeff and Ryan aren't qualified to review racing games.

I'm not going to explain what I wrote initially.  I tend to get paid for lecturing and I don't really enjoy it.

EDIT:  Buy the game yourself and tell us your findings, if you want to sacrifice yourself for the common good.  
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By xyzygy
    @teh_pwnzorer: Yeah after watching them play that I'm definitely taking their racing game reviews with a grain of salt now. Especially Jeff and Ryan (was it Ryan who was in the QL too?) 

But, I don't really think it would take a field expert to notice lag. Input lag is usually pretty easy to notice, especially when it's as bad as it is in those videos you posted.

I might get the game when it goes to 20 bucks but definitely not buying this right now haha. I don't have the money to "waste" on this game! :P
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @xyzygy said:
    "
    But, I don't really think it would take a field expert to notice lag. Input lag is usually pretty easy to notice, especially when it's as bad as it is in those videos you posted.

"
    Maybe, the game "smooths" out the response to the analog control, so there is some response initially but the reaction is much slower than the controller's movements.  So it's not really some kind of accidental flaw.   It makes sense if you're using a keyboard: you don't want the wheels to instantly swerve in either direction.  But it makes no sense with a wheel.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#75  Edited By Beaudacious

Its what you get for per-orders or day of purchase, sites like GB aren't only here for marketing. Research before purchase next time, you've learned your lesson. Also wasn't this game marketed as a arcade/very little sim blend?

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Beaudacious said:

" Its what you get for per-orders or day of purchase, sites like GB aren't only here for marketing. Research before purchase next time, you've learned your lesson. Also wasn't this game marketed as a arcade/very little sim blend? "

It was marketed as a functioning game.  That part was a lie.
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#77  Edited By Bravestar
    @GravityProof: you can't see it, but I'm giving you a golf clap right now. Good way to go out.

@teh_pwnzorer:  I really feel sorry for everyone who bought the game, but that video is fucking hilarious.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#78  Edited By LordAndrew
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Atramentous said:

"
    I highly recommend you buy this game.  You deserve it. "
    Do you have a video of what was requested? It shouldn't be hard for you to find one, so bring it here. I find it odd that you're being so evasive.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By Skald

I think the game feels fine. The AI is a bit zombie-ish though.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @LordAndrew said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @Atramentous said:

"
    I highly recommend you buy this game.  You deserve it. "
    Do you have a video of what was requested? It shouldn't be hard for you to find one, so bring it here. I find it odd that you're being so evasive. "
    You guys are either joking, trolling or idiots.   I already contributed a lot of video examples (which I found on youtube and aren't mine) to this thread.  If you're curious do your own research, lazy bums.  Also, I'm gonna stop posting once I hit 1337. :-P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.