Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Mock Suicide?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

I have been thinking about picking up Persona 3, so I did some reading and came upon a description of how you summon a Persona.  Now I know they are not inflicting any harm physically on themselves, but it still seems a little disturbing.  I know suicide in Japan is not as big of a deal as it is state side, so I'm not really knocking them for having this in the game.

So I guess what I want to know is how bad is it?  Right now this is what is going to make the game or break the game for me.  If its not such a big deal then I can easily over look it, but if its a constant and always intense part of the game I might have to pass.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By lord_canti

its not bad, its an envoker (problay the wrong spelling) not a gun so theres  no bullet or blood it has the same look  as the crushing cards in persona4 just a look of glass shattering

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Feanor
    lord_canti said:
    its not bad, its an envoker (problay the wrong spelling) not a gun so theres  no bullet or blood it ... [more]
    The FMV must have made it look a lot more dramatic than it actually is.  Sounds good I'll be picking this up soon.
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By lord_canti

yea that FMV of when he first does it makes it look worse than it is  in gameplay its not that bad

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheGremp

lol, the Evoker was actually one of the things that turned me on to the game...  But then, I'm not really a good person.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

But... if you're sensible to the issue, try persona 4.

It's arguably a better game and with no pseudo-"gun against the head" stuff.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Feanor
    @Jeust: It would only bother me if it was constantly over the top, like the FMV suggested.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

There is one or another FMV, but rare, that uses it to create atmosphere, but nothing too strong.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PureRok
    @Feanor: You say that "suicide is not as big a deal in Japan as it is in the States."

This is wrong. Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world (last time I checked, which, admittedly, was about two years ago).
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    PureRok said:
    @Feanor: You say that "suicide is not as big a deal in Japan as it is in the States."This is ... [more]
    He means that it happens all the time, it's no big deal.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feanor
    @PureRok: Yes, it happens a lot in Japan, but the act itself is not as big of a deal as it is here in the states.  They still consider it an honorable way to go, or a way to restore honor after dishonoring themselves or there family.  The reason why suicide is so looked down upon in America is because of the influences of Christianity that we have.  Japan does not have that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.