Persona 3 FES Endurance Run :)

#1 Edited by Obinice (274 posts) -

Hey guys, long time viewer first time poster!

So I know it's been done before, but after the brilliant Persona 4 Endurance Run (which I've just finished watching!) I decided I wanted to play Persona 3 myself. I also figured why not do my own Endurance Run? Even if nobody watches it, I get the pleasure of playing a great game and immortalising my play-through in video.

So anyway, I (Andrew) and my friend (Sean) working our way through Persona 3 can be found on the Youtubes. I hope it's cool for me to link to it even though it's my first post. I'm not much of a web-forum user, but I like to feel like I'm part of the community after following the GB videos for so long :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL71FEC54EB1E7B035

Update: Here's the first video. Looking back on it now, the sound levels were off and we weren't as comfortable commentating a game. Good thing that all improved!

#2 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

It's a bit longer than 4, to be honest. Also, I'll warn you that the FES chapter is kind of vicious and was, at the same time, quite unsatisfying (to me)

#3 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I've just started playing it again, about 30 hours in. Great game, but so far les enjoyable than Persona 4. I'll check out your videos :)

#4 Posted by alternate (2688 posts) -

The tower levels are something to grind - I played them on PSP while also watching TV - and I don't feel they would make an entertaining Let's Play.

#5 Posted by buft (3303 posts) -

im 35 hours into persona 3, loving that game though havent played much since the summer of arcade began :(

#6 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

I'll watch. I'm in the middle of playing it for the second time.

#7 Posted by SixtyXCelph (211 posts) -

Sadly, I've only just started my first playthrough, about 18 or 19 hours in.  So, I probably won't be watching, haha.  But, awesome, always supportive of something of this nature!

#8 Posted by Nux (2306 posts) -

So far your videos are pretty good. Now I have to go play Persona 3 again, thanks.

#9 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

So far so good, I'm glad you got somebody else in... so that it's not just one person talking. Means you get a bit of banter.

#10 Edited by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Cool, maybe having someone else play it will make me finish it anytime soon. I can watch your videos while grinding :P.

Also, clicking the little chainlink next to "insert" over the post will get you cool clickable links like this

#11 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Ooh, boring grinds aren't fun. Maybe I'll tag non-plot-grind-only eps so people can skip them if they like :)

Thanks for the tip TobbRobb, but it's greyed out. I'm guessing I need to have made a certain number of posts before I can post real links. You guys all seem so nice though, maybe I'll have a wander through the boards!

#12 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -
@Creamypies said:

So far so good, I'm glad you got somebody else in... so that it's not just one person talking. Means you get a bit of banter.

Yeah Endurance Runs and Let's plays are always better with two people.
#13 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I just got reminded of how sucky The Answer was (the extra campaign in the FES version) because of this thread. D:

#14 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

I think I finished P3 in like 120 hours? Also the extra chapter stuff isn't that great. I'd only do the standard game.

#15 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be one of those. Glad to see it aint, and I'm happy to see people in the community doing stuff like this. Welcome to the forums, mate!

#16 Posted by Bocam (3681 posts) -

@Irvandus: They're the same fucking thing

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Hope you enjoy it just as much as I did playing through that game, though the Tartarus is one long and rather boring-to-look-at dungeon after a lot of hours spent in that place. Glad they changed that for 4

#18 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

cool keep up the good work
#19 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -

Always nice seeing content from the community. I'm watching your vids right now, I'll give some constructive criticism if/when stuff occurs to me while watching.

EDIT: The commentary is really good, keep that up. Really the only hard criticism I have is the the intro sequence you have at the beginning seems unnecessary; I would just introduce the parts verbally, or just eliminate the intro all together. Aside from that I really have no complaints, the episode lengths are short and nice and the video quality is good. Keep it up.

#20 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -
@C2C said:

EDIT: The commentary is really good, keep that up. Really the only hard criticism I have is the the intro sequence you have at the beginning seems unnecessary; I would just introduce the parts verbally, or just eliminate the intro all together. Aside from that I really have no complaints, the episode lengths are short and nice and the video quality is good. Keep it up. 

I've shortened the intro from six seconds to just one from parts 7 onward, I was starting to think it was a bad idea to have it so long considering it's shown every 15 minutes or so. I do still like the idea of having it to "stamp" the videos though, which is why I just made it super short instead of removing it completely. Hope it's less annoying :)
@Beforet said:

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be one of those. Glad to see it aint, and I'm happy to see people in the community doing stuff like this. Welcome to the forums, mate!

Lol, what are those?
#21 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

@Obinice: I was referring to the "Hey, bombsquad, you should totally do an Endurance Run of [game]!" threads, which used to pop up in abundance. They are rarer now, but they still show up now and then.

#22 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

If you were going to make another "I want an ER" thread, you could have at least pick a less obvious title for them to play.

#23 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: I think you misunderstand. He isn't asking for an ER, he's showcasing his own.

#24 Posted by Droop (1833 posts) -

Reminds me I have a save of that somewhere close to the end I should play :xx

#25 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Oh man, I just batch rendered two videos without sharpening them first. There goes 7 hours of waiting.... XD

#26 Posted by AP3 (42 posts) -

I find that in general people who played Persona 4 before Persona 3 find it much more difficult to like. Personally, I enjoyed 3 a decent amount more than 4. The FES portion still gives me nightmares though.

#27 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -

The first ps2 game you ever played ???? OMG dude????

#28 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Yeah, lol. My first console (besides PC) was an Xbox 360. We couldn't afford consoles before that unfortunately. Making up for it now though :D

#29 Posted by Duff (5 posts) -

Just started watching this and the commentary is pretty damn good! I have a save a few hours in so I think once you catch up with where I am I'll start playing along with the ER.
Hope you make it to the end!

#30 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

Sweet! I may just check these out! I've been thinking about doing a P3P replay these past few days since I finished Catherine, so I might go along with you.

I'm agreeing with others that The Answer isn't really worth playing -- particularly since it's pretty well all combat and little story.

#31 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Sorry that there's been about a weeks gap in episodes! I got a bit addicted to The Witcher on our rendering machine >< 

Also........sorry for getting lost in the town all the time looking for bookstores XD

#32 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Well,  6 hours of gameplay over 23 videos later, I was wondering what thoughts/constructive criticism you folks have so far?

We've gotten settled in now, so it's unlikely we'll change how we commentate and play unless you have any thoughts! :)  One thing I wanted to make sure of now that I think about it, is that we're getting the audio levels right. I keep meaning to ask what you think about that :P Seems okay to me, but worth making sure.
#33 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I haven't watched any of the series yet, but I will prepare you by saying that some of the most fun I had from Persona 3 came from grinding and fusing, simply because of how incredible those higher-level Personas are, as well as how OP some of their abilities are. (I fused Personas to have Armageddon, which does max damage to every opponent at the cost of all your SP, and the same Persona had a passive ability that restores all your HP and SP after a battle). Just know that if you're trying to make your playthrough more entertaining/trying to keep out grinding bits, you'll miss out on a lot of great parts of the game.

#34 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

Hmm.....My avatar looks way better wearing a members-medal XD

Anyway....we've reached our first real boss! I'm sure there will be Persona 3 players that cringe at our "excellent" combat strategy. On the subject of OP abilities, I wand GOD HAND!

#35 Posted by Obinice (274 posts) -

After a short week break, we're back with more getting lost. This time though, I've replaced the intro video (and boy, did it take me ages to cut out those flames). I was compiling a list of old games that I want to produce some videos for (Planetscape: Torment, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, Small Soldiers, etc), and I was reminded of my first console. These new titles are based off the title screen for that game (and indeed the music is from that game).

Anybody recognise? :-D

*goes back to drooling over Hauppauge HD PVR product page* Soon my precious....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.